Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2005, 04:30 AM   #201  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked your gallery and from the few cards there, I suggest you forget everyone else and send your cards directly to me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 04:35 AM   #202  
Polyshrink Goddess

SO the flip side, have you ever received something that someone has spent a lot of time on but is ugly as sin? I never know what to do with those items - I of course thank them for giving me something that they have spent so much time on and then the wheels crank what now!!!
I have had a few of the you have too much time coments and the how do you think of that. But luckily I have some friends and relatives that love what I craft for them and more than make up for it!!! They have the 97 cent aisle at Target now for cards and the others that cannot be happy with the Hope diamond get some little thing that won't bother me when it is thrown out!!!
As for MIL.... I could go off for hours on that one but she does save the cards that I send!!

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 04:38 AM   #203  
Rubber Obsessor

First of all I only read the first page and jumped to the end to post this so if these comments are already made Sorry
The girls at hubbys work. Send them a hand stamped invite to your house for a workshop. Tell them it is not all that hard to make. I have made these and at first I struggled ( but of course they don't need to know that ) but after I figured it out it really isn't that time consuming. It really does seem like the green eyed monster is at play here.
The MIL......... I would tell her that if I got her a card from the store that then she wouldn't be getting a piece of my heart that goes into everything that I make for the people I love.
I am a real big fan of Kill the with Kindness. If you let them know how it upset you are then they are getting the reaction that they wanted. I have smiled at negative comments before and turned around and walked off. Boy did this burn a few people up. Now I am not saying that once in awhile my butt doesn't overload my mouth but I have found out that if I Kill them with Kindness it gets a better result .
Don't let them bring you down. I myself am new to stamping and really enjoy it and will have to say that my stuff leaves alot to be desired but I enjoy doing it. You do what you do because you want to share the joy of what you do not because you have to or can't afford anything else. And as long as you can live with yourself for the things you do in your life don't worry about the others. They don't make or break you.
I will get down off the soapbox now.

BTW I am sorry that you had to go thru this.

If the police arrest a deaf man do they read them their rights?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:00 AM   #204  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can totally relate. For Christmas last year, I told me niece-in-law to take pictures of her two daughters throughout the year and send them to me. I then put together five scrapbooks - one for my niece-in-law, one for each grandmother and one for each aunt.

Well - I was really excited to see the reactions on my sister-in-law and niece (one each of the grandmothers and aunts). They each looked through it and put it down. Never even got so much as a thank-you from either one of them. My niece-in-law's mother sent me the nicest thank you note! And my niece-in-law was thrilled. So, out of the five books I made . . . only two appreciated them.

It was very disheartening.

Peg

SCS #10227
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:01 AM   #205  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can totally relate. For Christmas last year, I told me niece-in-law to take pictures of her two daughters throughout the year and send them to me. I then put together five scrapbooks - one for my niece-in-law, one for each grandmother and one for each aunt.

Well - I was really excited to see the reactions on my sister-in-law and niece (one each of the grandmothers and aunts). They each looked through it and put it down. Never even got so much as a thank-you from either one of them. My niece-in-law's mother sent me the nicest thank you note! And my niece-in-law was thrilled. So, out of the five books I made . . . only two appreciated them.

It was very disheartening.

Peg

SCS #10227
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:03 AM   #206  
Glitter Guru

Default appreciative people

Emily I know exactly how you feel.I have a sister in law who could care less about any of the home made cards I make for her or her kids.Some people just aren't into crafts or any kind of crafts.my mother in law also.same thing.I made her a card for Christmas.When I asked her if she got the hand made card she said NO.I never got a HANDMADE CARD.It was store bought.I said well didn't it say it was from Tim ,Lisa Erin and Zach and she said Yes but it wasn't Hand Made.

At first I thought o.k. well then it must of been that good if she couldn't tell the differance so then I said again yah it was Hand made.again she denied it until I showed her a duplicate of the one I made her.Then she said boy you certainly have a lot of time on your hands don't you.So what do say to someone like that who can't even say wow great job they looked perfessional I didn't even know it was hand made it was that good .NOTHING LIKE THAT.Instead I get slammed. So next year she'll get a 50 cent card from the dollar tree.Then we'll see what she has to say.

Other people rave over the cards I make and can't believe it.Unlike some people who Hey just aren't into this kind of thing so you do get bad responses.Can't let it bumm you out but I do know what your saying.

Another incident she was on the PTO Board at one point.secretary her friend was the President.Then I was at the house one day and they were discussing what they could do to make money for the school PTO Board.So me being a crafty person suggested have a christmas fair which is always popular. Almost every church has them because they make money.

Well you should of heard the response from her.NO WAY ABSOLUTLEY NOT.IT'S THE BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY.Just slammed my response Not even thinking about what other people like.because it' wasn't her thing.I couldn't believe it both of them were totally no way not happening.

So hey now the school tuition goes up because these ladies couldn't come up with a solution ,and guess what today they are no longer on the PTO Board.because they were voted out the next election..

Anyway.I put my 2 cents in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:04 AM   #207  
Glitter Guru

Emily I know exactly how you feel.I have a sister in law who could care less about any of the home made cards I make for her or her kids.Some people just aren't into crafts or any kind of crafts.my mother in law also.same thing.I made her a card for Christmas.When I asked her if she got the hand made card she said NO.I never got a HANDMADE CARD.It was store bought.I said well didn't it say it was from Tim ,Lisa Erin and Zach and she said Yes but it wasn't Hand Made.

At first I thought o.k. well then it must of been that good if she couldn't tell the differance so then I said again yah it was Hand made.again she denied it until I showed her a duplicate of the one I made her.Then she said boy you certainly have a lot of time on your hands don't you.So what do say to someone like that who can't even say wow great job they looked perfessional I didn't even know it was hand made it was that good .NOTHING LIKE THAT.Instead I get slammed. So next year she'll get a 50 cent card from the dollar tree.Then we'll see what she has to say.

Other people rave over the cards I make and can't believe it.Unlike some people who Hey just aren't into this kind of thing so you do get bad responses.Can't let it bumm you out but I do know what your saying.

Another incident she was on the PTO Board at one point.secretary her friend was the President.Then I was at the house one day and they were discussing what they could do to make money for the school PTO Board.So me being a crafty person suggested have a christmas fair which is always popular. Almost every church has them because they make money.

Well you should of heard the response from her.NO WAY ABSOLUTLEY NOT.IT'S THE BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY.Just slammed my response Not even thinking about what other people like.because it' wasn't her thing.I couldn't believe it both of them were totally no way not happening.

So hey now the school tuition goes up because these ladies couldn't come up with a solution ,and guess what today they are no longer on the PTO Board.because they were voted out the next election..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:05 AM   #208  
Glitter Guru

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:05 AM   #209  
Cardstock Collector

The best reply to "you have too much time on your hands" is "I make time for what is important to me." Hmmph. (and I guess the REALLY sarcastic addition would be "but if you don't think you merit it, I guess I could pick up something at the dollar store for you next time." :twisted: ).

I am so sorry for those of you who have been hurt by what sounds like some incredibly horribly insensitive people. All I can say is, it takes all kinds. Either get a few dollar store cards for those people or just do a card that is extremely quick and easy.

Finally, I found out recently that my grandparents STILL had a card I made when I was 3 or 4 years old (they recently gave it back to me so I could have it for my scrapbooks) - now that is an awesome feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:07 AM   #210  
Cardstock Collector

The best reply to "you have too much time on your hands" is "I make time for what is important to me." Hmmph. (and I guess the REALLY sarcastic addition would be "but if you don't think you merit it, I guess I could pick up something at the dollar store for you next time." :twisted: ).

I am so sorry for those of you who have been hurt by what sounds like some incredibly horribly insensitive people. All I can say is, it takes all kinds. Either get a few dollar store cards for those people or just do a card that is extremely quick and easy.

Finally, I found out recently that my grandparents STILL had a card I made when I was 3 or 4 years old (they recently gave it back to me so I could have it for my scrapbooks) - now that is an awesome feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:21 AM   #211  
Crimping Master

I posted yesterday but it apparently didn't come through. If it comes through then I apologize for the repeat.

I now only stamp for those who appreciate them. Also can relate to the original poster in a way. I'm sorry this happened to you. I hate that people don't realize the pleasure we have with this hobby. My MIL once suggested to me "Why not do other hobbies such as cross stitching, floral arrangements, painting etc?" That stung. I told her I really enjoyed THIS hobby at the moment. That was several years ago and I still enjoy it. Anyway I don't think I have sent her many stamped cards after that.

I better get busy stamping right now as I have about an hour free time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:28 AM   #212  
Stampin' Fool

I can relate to a lot of your comments. My fave (NOT) is "I'll bet you save a lot of money making your own cards!" HA HA These people are soooooooooooooo missing the point! Doesn't that comment just burn your buns??!! :twisted:
Tami/WI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:37 AM   #213  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryEileen
When you give anything that you make yourself, whether it be cards or baked goods, it is special and from the heart. There are people who really appreciate the effort, and especially your time. What is more valuable to give, than your time?

Unless the person is a stamper, they have no idea what it costs to make cards. My husband frequently jokes that I have my cost per card down to $42.00.

Making cards gives me pleasure. When I find someone who seems indifferent, they get a purchased card from my drawer full of leftovers from before stamping.

One year, I sent store-bought Christmas cards. I got many comments, asking if my family and friends were "off the A list".

Always take the high road. Don't let your feelings be hurt by insensitive people. Maybe they don't know any better.

My family and friends appreciate the homemade cards. They even appreciated them when I was just beginning. Many of them tell me they have saved them all. Even my 37 year old son told me he keeps all my cards. I was amazed.

Eileen
I couldn't agree more with your post -- I bought Xmas cards at the dollar store last year -- only handmade ones for the ones that appreciate them,

I made some notecards for my MIL as a thank you for watching my DD and when I gave them to her she threw them on the counter and never looked at them the whole time we were visiting! (we were there for a few hours) granted she may have looked at them after we left, but sorry that is rude! Other times she "doesn't have her glasses" so she just puts it aside. The woman NEVER has her glasses, it really annoys me, she is too vain to wear them or put them near to her!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:56 AM   #214  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unappreciated HomeMade Items

Over the years, I've learned to become discriminating with who I send my handmade cards to. Most people appreicate them, but I know there are others who'd rather get a laugh from a Shoebox card, and I'm okay with that.

I remember the time my MIL compared my hand-stamped cards to the ones her friend was making on the computer...ugh! In her defense, she's just not crafty at all. But last Christmas, I made her a SU calendar with scrapbook pages of her family. She cried and cried and said it was the best present she got...go figure!

I think there are certain occasions that a handmade gift is appropriate for, and others where it's probably better to go buy something. I made my nephew's bride a wedding scrapbook with pages made by family members for her to fill in with photos. She loved it! However, if I stamped her a bunch of dishtowels...well, let's just say she probably wouldn't have cried with delight when she opened it.

I have to admit, I used to look in the SU catalog and SS magazine and see "gift items" and wonder, "A hand stamped birdseed holder? Who would I ever give that to?" A party favor, yes. A present? No...unless there's a $20 bill hidden under the birdseed! I try to give gifts that I would like receiving.

When it comes to stamping, I do it because I love it, not to judge the reaction from the person that gets the card or item. Only my stampy friends really appreciate my great works of art, anyway. And I have to admit, after an appropriate period of time, I do throw away all cards, hand stamped or store bought. I just don't need the clutter!

mary rose
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:13 AM   #215  
Stampin' Fool

Wow! I cannot believe the amount of horribly ignorant people out there. To everyone who gets put down for being creative I give you HUGS!!

I truly agree and believe that a homemade card is an act of love, I have friends and family who would be offended if they didn't receive a homemade card on their special occasion. My husband has even started to make me homemade cards for my birthday! He has fun with the punches, i'm working him up to stamping

Don't let these people get you down, I agree they proabably are jealous that you make the time and produce all of these wonderful creations. And for every one person that opens their mouth to fit their foot inside there are a 1000 here that appreciate what you do, so put the latest masterpiece into the gallery so we can ooh and aah and tell you how fabulous you are!

Have a great day everyone!!

Cheers,
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:35 AM   #216  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!
Default Re: Unappreciated "Homemade" Items

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Z.
And my mother-in-law has made it known she prefers storebought cards to those "homemade" ones.
~Michelle Z.
Hi Michelle,

I'm thinking the term "homemade" is the sticking point here.
I'm almost most 50 and the term "homemade" when I was a young person (60's & 70's) was more of a put down. As an example - I remember when if you had sewn an outfit, some people assumed you were "poor" and couldn't afford storebought clothes. Not realizing it was a form of creative expression or clothes would fit better.

Maybe using the term "HANDmade" or "Art from the heart" or something else would put a different mental picture for your MIL.

I'm not making excuses for the bad behavior of those you made gifts for, you can look on the bright side, no more time spent on the women who work with your hubby!

Hope this helps,
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:46 AM   #217  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillin
Everyone "ohh"'d and "aaahh"'d, then later I over heard the mother of the girl (DH's aunt) telling one of her friends that my DH and I must be in real financial trouble because I had to make all my gifts and cards. She went on to tell the friend how all she got for a Christmas gift was a bag of 24 handmade cards
That is awful - if only she knew how much $ you spent on the supplies, stamps, etc...she certainly wouldn't say that! This certainly isn't a cheap habit!

Will work for stamps! My Gallery!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:47 AM   #218  
Pearl-ExPert

You have received so much good advice on this incident. A circle of friends to tell you that your heart was in the right place, and MIL just doesn't get it.

Let me be a hopeless Pollyanna here. While the MIL sure needs improvement on the delivery, she did communicate with you. She has freed all that time you would have spent in future making her cards that she did not appreciate. Now you can direct your talent and energy toward those who really appreciate it.

You know why you shouldn't try to teach a pig to dance? It wastes your time and irritates the pig.

Save your cards for those who appreciate 'em!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:05 AM   #219  
Gallery Gazer

I feel for you!!! I haven't read all of the numerous posts, but know that we, as stampers/cardcrafters, can feel unimportant when people do not notice and appreciate the hard work we put into a single card or project. Sometimes I think we make the cards to feel like we have an emotional investment in the gift. In this post 9/11 society, we need things that make us feel closer to those we care about...I think.

So many stampers suggest making mutiple cards when you make one, but when I make one I can totally focused on that particular card for anywhere from 15-45 minutes.

BTW, I DON't have "too much time on my hands". I MAKE time!

I believe this is Michelle's gallery. I would take a card from her over Hallmark anyday!!!

Mich's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

You go, girl! Keep making cards for your MIL. No matter if it is homemade or purchased from a store the sentiment behind it is the same. (Moreso for homemade, IMHO.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:20 AM   #220  
Matboard Maniac

You ladies are giving your cards away!?! I thought we were supposed to keep them for ourselves( :lol: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #221  
Kookie Creator

The same things happen to me only it is MY family that says it, not my in-laws. They are always telling me I have too much time on my hands and do I really save anything by making my cards instead of buying them since I spend so much money on stamps. My MIL on the other hand, told me this weekend she really enjoyed the Valentine card I made for her. That really made my day. I enjoy making crafts and stamping and like to make things for other people. It is my hobby. I'm not trying to see if I can do something for less money. I, too, made a gift for a teacher I was never thanked for. I decorated an empty paint bucket, with shredded paper in it and included all stamped items like a post-it note holder, beaded pen, address book, candle, jr. legal pad. I even saw her after I gave it to her and she didn't even acknowledge it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:22 AM   #222  
Kookie Creator

The same things happen to me only it is MY family that says it, not my in-laws. They are always telling me I have too much time on my hands and do I really save anything by making my cards instead of buying them since I spend so much money on stamps. My MIL on the other hand, told me this weekend she really enjoyed the Valentine card I made for her. That really made my day. I enjoy making crafts and stamping and like to make things for other people. It is my hobby. I'm not trying to see if I can do something for less money. I, too, made a gift for a teacher I was never thanked for. I decorated an empty paint bucket, with shredded paper in it and included all stamped items like a post-it note holder, beaded pen, address book, candle, jr. legal pad. I even saw her after I gave it to her and she didn't even acknowledge it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:22 AM   #223  
Kookie Creator

My MIL doesn't seem to appreciate the crafty things I do I get the impression that if I were more of a baker (like her daughter, whom can do no wrong) does that she would make more of a fuss. So I thought she threw my cards away, well I was at her house one day and she has a bench at her front door with a lift of lid and low and behold what was in there my cards (didn't notice if any store bought ones were), but it made me feel alot better about giving her the cards.

People do appreciate things they just don't know how to express themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:24 AM   #224  
Compulsive Stamper

I"ve been reading these posts with much interest. My MIL doesn't receive cards from me any more either, and this is why:

After about a years worth of card giving occasions (birthday, anniversary, christmas etc. etc. with no acknowledgement of the cards and their hand stampedness she said to me "So, what kind of computer program do you need to make cards anyways?"

nuff said
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:33 AM   #225  
Matboard Maniac

I am so sorry that you received such a rude comment. I have received that type of comment before, and I told them that it does not take that long to create a card and that I could teach them how. I have seen my handmade items in the trash and laying around on the floor and it was disheartening to see it. A lot of times I would pick it up myself, and re-use it. They questioned why I was picking it out of the trash and that they loved my card and I told them obviously they did not love it enough because it's in the trash. I MADE that card myself and it was hardwork to make it. I told them I would re-use it and give it to someone that would appreciate it better. The look on their face was priceless. Nowadays I limit who gets handmade items from me. My boyfriend loves all of the items that I make him, and he has had cards that I made him before we were dating and those cards are like 2-3 years old and he still has them.

Please continue to make handmade items and don't let their comments get you down.
The Angel Company Demonstrator #1260
Team Leader of The Elegant Diva Stamp Angels!
Email
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:33 AM   #226  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by wright1
I've heard the "to much time on your hands" so many times......I really hate that comment because we all choose to do what we want with our time and its like someone is putting down stamping. Nobody says that to me when I spend all day doing 4 to 5 loads of laundry.
*** AMEN, SISTER!!! *** No extra points when we go out in public with a kid free of chocolate on their face and clean, clipped fingernails, either! ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:45 AM   #227  
Hardware Hotshot

Default No Reply from Sis

I sent my sister and BIL a gorgeous blue (his favorite color) layered card topped with watercolored impressionist dahlias, topped off with multi-hued blue ribbon in a lovely bow. This was for their 30th anniversary so I made it really special. I have heard nothing and it doesn't take 7 days to get from FL to MN! I'll have to dig out of her that she even got it and she'll probably say it was nice! I'm pretty sure she tosses my cards after a while. I think I'll ask her to start returning them to me if she's gonna throw them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #228  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
oh, and Emily (as in, emilymomto3boys) once told me "That's what Hallmark is for" ;)

She is now eating her words (for life).
Yes, and as someone who used to make those comments....usually we are in awe or jealous. I was jealous because I had 2 little kids and not a moment to do something like that and felt I was totally un-artistic. Now that my boys are a bit older I have found time to do it more and more and discover the artistic side of myself.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:56 AM   #229  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaDRHC
Get this. A teacher's aide at my sons school said I had too much time on my hands after my son and I made snacks and treats that corresponded to the letter of the week. When I told my husband what she said HE AGREED WITH HER! I asked him what I should be doing with my time instead of working with my son and he said," I don't know, clean the house?"

Needless to say, I hired a cleaning lady the next day!

Spending time making things special for other people is the real gift of a gift.
Aaaah, a woman after my own heart... :mrgreen: ! Smart, funny, and kicked DH where it would hurt most....his *wallet*! I bet he'll think twice before he says something *boneheaded* like that again! ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #230  
Crimping Master

Those comments are annoying. A coworker made a similar comment to me and I just replied how I felt lucky to have the extra time to do something creative and something I really enjoyed. Said it was not really different than those who have brought in the occasional baked treats here and there. Both are creative & worthwhile. Also mentioned there are worse things I could be doing with a little extra time on my hands.

I've noticed, tho, that a couple of coworkers who have received handmade cards from me have kept them on their desks. So they like them.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we�ll change the world" --
Jack Layton (1950-2011)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:17 AM   #231  
Embossing Fanatic

Oh! I feel your frusteration! The first time I heard the "too much time on your hands" comment was in the middle of a workshop presentation!!! I was so mad, I turned bright red and stayed that way till I left the workshop. I think I handled it okay though, as I laughed it off and said it was better than drinking, smoking, excessive TV watching, or making rude comments to people you don't even know!

My own mother did something that was similar to the MIL comments. Every year I make handmade christmas card samples, send them out to select family with an order form, and they order their holiday cards from me. Well, mom sent back her order one year, had chosen an elegant card with a metalic image on the front and gold cord. BUT, she requested that I remove the elegant metalic stamped image and replace it with a fighting Ninja drawing that my teenage brother had drawn! I was so hurt! Not that I didn't want to highlight my brother's drawing talents, I would have been willing to add it to the inside of the card, but she direguarded my art in the process! Oh well, needless to say, she doesn't get to order anymore.

I have learned to focus my efforts and attention on people who welcome my talents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:20 AM   #232  
Rubber Obsessor

It's funny that this post came this week, as I was wondering if anyone else met with unappreciative responses. In my case it's my stepmother and father, who pretty much just ignore my cards, which is certainly better than outright criticizing them!!! I'm sure they'd rather have a funny store-bought one, but I'm gonna keep sending them. Gives me practice. My mother and aunt, on the other hand, can't understand how I can bear to part with them, so it more than balances out!

Meanwhile I saw a hilarious stamp at either AC or Michaels. It was fairly small type and said something like "Handstamped by ___ and I spent an hour on this card so if you throw it away...(something-I forget what-awful will happen to you)". I laughed out loud!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:46 AM   #233  
Glitter Guru

That would definately get to me also - which is totally rude IMO. I have made cards for my MIL and she has never said if she liked em or not or even commented on that she got them. Her mother which is my husbands Grandma has told me a million times they brighten her day when she gets one which makes me feel good. Also my own mother has an album she puts in every card I make her in there. There are always negative people but for every negative person there is always a positive person waiting....

Ignore em and no more homemade goodies for them. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:56 AM   #234  
Stazon Splitcoast

Boy, after reading all these stories about rude, ungrateful in-laws I really feel lucky. I've sent my boyfriend's mother two cards since I started making them in earnest, and she gushed over both when she learned I had created them myself. Of course, her mother was an avid crocheter who made many things for the family so she appreciates handcrafted items. My boyfriend likes that I crochet (it's been my main hobby for 14 years now) and he enjoys sitting with me while I work because he was very close to his grandmother and it reminds him of her.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 09:50 AM   #235  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunfaerie
My husband has even started to make me homemade cards for my birthday! He has fun with the punches, i'm working him up to stamping
Mine too sun! I used to always tell him (no matter the holiday), don't buy me a card, take advantage of my abundant supplies and make one! I love seeing what he comes up with! So much more personal than store-bought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #236  
Compulsive Stamper

That "too much time on your hands" comment is always annoying. Especially when it is usually spoken by someone that spends ALL of their free time in front of the TV!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 10:17 AM   #237  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by srogers5
When people say "You have too much time on your hands," you should say something like...

"Oh, don't you think you are worth my time? I do."

or a more cutting tone

"Oh, I thought you were worth it, but if you don't think so..."
GREAT COMMENTS!! Gonna have to remember these!

You need the stamp that says, "Hallmark wishes they could be this good."

Keep doing it, just not for them anymore!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #238  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryEileen
Unless the person is a stamper, they have no idea what it costs to make cards. My husband frequently jokes that I have my cost per card down to $42.00.
Too funny!! This is so me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaDRHC
Needless to say, I hired a cleaning lady the next day!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Most of the folks I give my cards too love them. Whether they keep them or not, I don't know. But I love making them, so I'll go right on doing it. Also, I found the following stamp which I now put on the backs of all my envelopes... :twisted:

Enclosed is a
HANDMADE CARD
As such it deserves a place
of honor and respect in
your home and should
not be casually discarded
like an ordinary
store-bought card.

I get a chuckle out of it even if they don't!! :lol:

happy stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #239  
Embossing Fanatic

People who make such remarks are probably jealous of your talent and creativity. The "too much time" comment is meant to be a put down. They are implying that what you are doing is frivolous - a defense for not being able to do it themselves. In other words, "I don't have time to engage in such trivial activities and do not care to." I feel that it is important to divide our family and friends into the groups that do and don't appreciate our hobby.
I like stamping because it makes me feel good. If someone is making remarks to bring me down, it takes away from my pleasure. Not everyone appreciates the value of something hand (or home) made. Those who don't feel blessed by someone giving of themselves should not receive those handmade gifts. Those who do truly appreciate them should be showered with them. It will make the giver and the receiver feel good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 11:21 AM   #240  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default sigh

I hate it when someone says "you have too much time on your hands" !
Someone had the nerve the other day to say, with so much time on your hands maybe you should go back to teaching!
Meanwhile, in my mind I am thinking, GIVE ME BACK MY CARD DARN IT!

I learned the first year I sent out Christmas Cards to our whole Christmas list to never do it again. Some people just don't appreciate it!
:oops: I know this is going to sound rude, but we now have 2 Christmas Card list, I call it the worthy and the unworthy! The worthy get the card I spent my time on the others get the ones on sale at Target. :shock:
I am a SAHM and this is my hobby, my passion, and it is therapy somedays!

My hope is some day some of these people will realize our hard work, if not they stay on the unworthy list!
Reply With Quote Likes