Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #41  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the CK one. I watched the CD, and frankly, thought it was poorly made -- looked like someone taped it with a video camera in a living room. That being said, I did return the video, but I did keep the card kit that was enclosed. I wonder if "technically" it's not considered unsolicited e-mail because it went to their magazine subscribers - hard to say though; I'm not familiar with all of the laws.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #42  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by sma499
I got the CK one. I watched the CD, and frankly, thought it was poorly made -- looked like someone taped it with a video camera in a living room. That being said, I did return the video, but I did keep the card kit that was enclosed. I wonder if "technically" it's not considered unsolicited e-mail because it went to their magazine subscribers - hard to say though; I'm not familiar with all of the laws.

Nope- even though you subscribe to the magazine - that is what they should be sending you just the magazine - anything else they send for you to check out - is considered unsolicited mail and as long as you DID NOT request the item - you are under no obligation to pay for the item or return the item - unless you feel the need to -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #43  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESS
For those who are worried about your credit by not sending back the DVD and not paying, I wouldn't worry. I simply cannot image that a company as large as this would report nonpayment to credit agencies when they must clearly know that REQUIRING a return of an unsolicted product or REQUIRING payment for the unsolicited product is ILLEGAL!! Just think of the huge class action lawsuit they would be facing by making such reports.
Well they did report it to a Bill collection agency.

Because I have a letter from the company stating for me to pay.

But I have already returned the DVD and Paid for insurance and Delivery confirmation on it.
I told them to file a Insurance claim and to leave me alone!!!
Cause I wasn't paying for it.

Spoiler

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jendem19
I got one of these as well, and a NASCAR one in my DHs name. I sent them back. I emailed PC Mag about it, saying all the things said in this thread. I NEVER got a response. I didn't re-sub to the magazine. That is not a company I want to do business with.
We got one of the Nascar ones addressed to my 7 year old. At least with that one if you read the whole letter (but it I didn't read it all carefully until about the 3rd time) it clearly states that you did not order this and are not obligated to pay for it, to consider it a gift. However, they did try to entice you to send it back if you didn't want it as they would enter your name in a sweepstakes for some race tickets. If you paid the $ you were enrolled in their program and would receive more DVD's. I also remember getting a generic letter indicating that I hadn't paid for it and I should consider paying for it to be enrolled in their club or return it to be entered into the sweepstakes.
Here's a link to the U.S. postal service website which addresses this issue and give the specific code sections regarding unordered products.
U.S. Postal Service regs for unordered products

According to that webpage it's quote
"Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication"
Hope this helps someone

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #45  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2

But I have already returned the DVD and Paid for insurance and Delivery confirmation on it.
First and foremost I would check with all of the credit reporting agencies and see if, in fact, this has been reported as a bad debt/collection matter. If is has, then I would immediately consider contacting an attorney because this is a blatent violation of postage regulations and the Fair Debt Collection Act, a federal law, that if found guilty requires the violator to pay you damages, including reasonable attorney fees!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #46  
Mad Swapper

I received the dvd from Paper Crafts a few months ago along with some free samples of supplies (paper, etc). I returned the dvd in the self addressed envelope and kept the supplies and have heard nothing else. Guess they got the message.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #47  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.

I received the Paper Crafts DVD, too. Haven't had a chance to look at it. Then the other day, got another bill for it.

I haven't done anything with either yet. I wasn't too happy with the unsolicited DVD either. It's enough to make me reconsider continuing my subscription. There's other crafting magazines out there...

Never give up, just practice, stay positive and have fun!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #48  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 600 Likes on 244 Posts

This magazine makes me want to tear my hair out. I moved before my subscription was over and tried numerous times to change my address. No magazines ever arrived at the new house. After several phone calls, they said they would send a few future issues to make up for the missed ones. Did they arrive? Yes -- with a bill as if I had just signed up as a new subscriber! The subsquent collection letters went into the trash unopened and they finally stopped. I wll not subscribe to or purchase this magazine ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

I received a similar DVD (PaperCrafts, I think) - nothing special & put it aside. Got 2 bills before I finally dropped it in the mail with istructions they are to take me off their mailing list forever. I know they tell you that you have to either return it or pay for it - but you don't. Reality is that you don't owe the company anything & are not required by law to return the item. Anything like this that is unsolicited can be treated by the consumer as a free gift & these companys know this.

It's a despicable marketing tactic & I don't purchase from any company who does this. Unfortunately it does scare a lot of people paying the bill - which means you spend $$$ on a product you don't want, probably don't need, & it keeps you on the mailing list. As long as they are paying for the postage I mail it back to them & let them pay for the postage. For PC it cost them more than the DVD was worth because I actually cracked the DVD before putting it back in the box. My guess is more people pay the bill than send the junk back.

I had one experience with a magazine company...ignored all of their bills (kept them) until they threatened to send it to a collection agency. I called the State Attorney General's office to file a complaint. They actually took all of the information I could give them. AG contacted the company who claimed I had ordered the subscription & gave the AG a copy of a document they had on file. I saw the document - Turns out my mother had filled out one of those cards from a magazine & checked off a box that a 'friend' may be interested, gave them my address & signed the ^@$ card. Luckily, it was the proof the AG needed that I didn't order anything. They notified the company to 'cease & desist', not to send anything to the credit reporting companys &, if they didn't comply, the AG office would file charges. Never heard from the company again AND told my mom NEVER to do this EVER again with anything. I get very little junk mail anymore {:>)
Kitty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollymoo951
I received the Paper Crafts DVD, too. Haven't had a chance to look at it. Then the other day, got another bill for it.

I haven't done anything with either yet. I wasn't too happy with the unsolicited DVD either. It's enough to make me reconsider continuing my subscription. There's other crafting magazines out there...
Unfortunately some of the other craft magazines do this also. Someone else posted about Creating Keepsakes sending them a DVD. If you love the magazine like I do, just ignore these offers. I did call them to let them know how unhappy I was with their tactics, however, just to make myself feel better.

After I told the customer service rep that it was illegal to send unsolicited items in the mail, she immediately said their lawyers had cleared it, which tells me they know they're on the fringes of legality. Very annoying!!!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2

I haven't finished reading this thread, but thought I'd comment on this. If you are the one who put the insurance on the package, then you have to initiate the insurance claim with the post office.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #52  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMN
I haven't finished reading this thread, but thought I'd comment on this. If you are the one who put the insurance on the package, then you have to initiate the insurance claim with the post office.

Kimberly
Well since I made that Statement to the place I have heard one word from them about this issue.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes