Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2005, 05:27 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using acrylic blocks instead of wooden

Hello Everyone! I was at a crop yesterday and a lady there said that she no longer mounts her stamps onto wooden blocks even if they come with them. She now puts a static cling on the sheet of stamps and cuts them out to use with acrylic blocks. She is now going through the process of unmounting her stamps on wooden blocks to put the static cling on them. What do you think about that? It should would make storage easier, but I have never really used acrylics and certainly don't want to mess up my stamps trying something I don't know much about. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 05:34 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

If I had known then (when I first started stamping) what I know now, I would have started with the unmounteds to begin with. They take up so much less space to store--which allows you to fit many more stamps into your stamping space! Also--I like being able to see EXACTLY where I am stamping, and the acrylic blocks make that so much easier than the wood-mounted stamps. I am finding, too, that, for whatever reason, using acrylic blocks makes it easier for me to apply even pressure to the entire stamp, which avoids uneven impressions. This is expecially helpful when working with larger stamps.

Try using some unmounted stamps with acrylic blocks and see how you like them. I'll be you will!

Amy J. in Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 05:41 AM   #3  
Inking Addict

what do you mean a static cling? Like a dryer sheet?
It sounds like a super idea to be able to see where you are really stamping things.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 05:45 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just recently converted all my wood mounted stamps to unmounted. I really like the acrylic block for the reasons that Amy J mentioned. Since I just did this over Christmas, I don't have any info on long term satisfaction, but so far so good.

I will tell you that I have over 80 SU stamp sets and it takes up less than 3 linear feet of storage. I use CD cases to store my sets. I think you can see a picture of my stamp storage in the gallery. I have a couple pictures of my stamp room in there. Just look for the CD rack, and what you would think is music is actually all my stamps!

Love the space saving. Some folks were concerned about the extra step of putting you stamp onto acrylic everytime you want to stamp. So far that hasn't bothered me.

I got the static sheets from www.sundayint.com. I bought the CD cases (box of 50 for under $10) at CompUSA. I simply took out the black piece that hold the CD and cut a piece of glossy white card stock to fit the CD case. The stamps cling nicely to the glossy paper.

PM if you have any other questions.
Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 05:46 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Now that I have been stamping for over 6 years--I NEED SPACE. The gal you spoke with is following a growing trend. There are several UM options out there. Vinyl cling is what keeps the stamp on the acrylic block. I own plenty of stamps: wooden mounted, UM rubber and UM acrylic (from Stampendous & CTMH). I love that you can see through the block for placement. I have been planning this move over to UM for the last few months. I haven't mounted many of my new SU sets. I dread the upcoming months of re-mounting my favorite SU sets. I chose not to place the sets into 3-ring binders but to cut the mounting system to fit the more popular empty CD cases. That way I can keep CD organizer right on my stamping table and have lots o sets right at hand.

The biggest decision has been which sets to UM because I know that "right now" it will reduce their re-sale value if I ever want to get rid of the sets. The wood mounted sets hold their re-sale value well. However, I believe enough folks are beginning to UM that there may be a fair number of us to buy/sell/ trade umnounted SU sets in the near future.
One SCS member that traded posts with me on this topic said she was going to ask if SCS would had a B/S/T category just for UM stamps--so it wouldn't be confusing for those who keep their wood mounts.

So, you are not ruining your stamps at all. Just making room for lots more craft supplies!

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 05:48 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

i'm interested in remounting, could you give us some steps and tips that you have used. I'm kind of scared to mess mine up to. I've got alot of money in these things. I'm not sure what you mean by static cling sheets. Can you buy those somewhere? I'm one these people that you have to tell me slow and draw pics!! (hahaha) Then I yell, OH, I get it!! Thanks for sharing your idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 05:57 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Go to www.sundayint.com and search on the EZ mount system. You will see pictures to help you. Based on what I have read: nuke the stamp and get it off the wood, peel the sticky foam part off, place the rubber on the new foam part that has vinyl cling on one side, cut out the shape of the stamp and store it on glossy card stock in a notebook or cd case.

Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 06:07 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Default Silly question

I love the acrlyic stamps and blocks. Does anyone have a sure fire way to clean the acrlyic blocks when they become soiled and foggy to see through? I've been using double sided tape to affix my rubber alphabets and it has left a residue. Pam from Bama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 06:09 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Love my UMs!! I use Glass Plus to clean my blocks when they get gummy. I have a ton of UMs that I keep in empty CD cases with indexed cards on the front. Saves a TON of room!

When I find I'm using an UM a lot, I'll mount it on wood. But I really like the ease of plopping a stamp on a block and going to town on a project.
Michelle C., #12400
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/hookandstamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 06:49 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Default stamps

I am like some of the others if I knew then what I do now I would of never bought a wooden stamp the unmounted ones are so much easier don't take up all the room I have converted all my wood stamps to the ez mount and have them stored on the boards and in 3 ring binders it is just so much more easier and even if I get new stamps I still convert them to the ez mount, No more wood for me!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 06:59 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Default unmounted stamps

I must say that since I have started using UM stamps I am completely sold on the idea. It takes up sooooooooooo much less storage space, I can see exactly where I am stamping, and the cost is a lot less expensive. I say go for it!
Tami /WI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 07:08 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I have also been told you can clean acrylic blocks with just dish soap and water. One person even put them in the top rack on her dishwasher but I have never tried it myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 07:36 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela Bounds
The stamps cling nicely to the glossy paper.
You don't need to put the glossy paper in the CD case. The EZ Mount will cling right to the plastic of the CD case. Save that glossy paper for stamping on. When i make an index sheet I use the CD case as my mount. Mount the stamps on the front or the back, ink them up, stamp them on plain old paper cut to fit where the liner notes would, clean the stamps and move them to the inside. Yep I use plain paper for indexing - save my cardstock for stamping and not indexing. :shock:
HTH,
Fran #1698
Matt Kenseth- GO #17

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 07:39 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Using Acrylic Blocks Instead of Wooden

I just found a site last night that has instructions on converting your wooden stamps to UM. They also sell an interesting looking product called the grid-lock system. Their acrylic block has gridlines on it and a stamping tray so you can line up your stamp exactly to do multiple stamps in the same spot - putting images within images, you can also purchase another product that allows you to easily do mirror images. Anyway, it looks very interesting to me. The instructions on unmounting stamps are under their "projects" link. The gridlock system is under their "to order" link. There are screen by screen pictures to illustrate everything. Under "projects" there is also step by step pictures on an easy way to make bows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 07:41 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Using acrylic instead of wooden

Oops, I forgot to add the site.

Here is is:

http://www.mostlyanimals.com/

You may have to type it in since it doesn't look like it make an actual link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 08:01 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I love using acrylic mounts rather than wood- it saves space, makes it easier to see where your stamping and you can buy unmounted stamps for quite a bit cheaper- usually 1/2 the price of a mounted stamp. Plus you can line up letters and stamp a whole word at one time (as long as none of the letters repeat, but works great for "love" or "thank you") or you can group several images together and stamp them all at once.

You can buy the EZ mount static cling foam and place it directly on the rubber (good if you're converting from wood mount to acrylic mount) or you can buy just the static cling vinyl (a clear thin flexible plastic) that comes in a sheet or on a roll and use that when mounting new SU stamps. Just trim your stamp as usual, then place it on static cling and cut around the stamp, leaving a bit of extra space. It's cheapest to buy a set a acrylic blocks to start with- they come in a variety of sizes. If the stacic cling doesn't cling very well, just rub it on your shirt or pants to "recharge" it. I wish SU gave the option of buying unmounted.

What to do with all those SU wood blocks??? Give them to the kids- better yet- stamp on them and make a set to give as a gift. My mom throws all of her SU blocks in a basket and my daughter loves playing with them at Grandie's house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by anmryd
or you can buy just the static cling vinyl (a clear thin flexible plastic) that comes in a sheet or on a roll and use that when mounting new SU stamps. Just trim your stamp as usual, then place it on static cling and cut around the stamp, leaving a bit of extra space. .... If the stacic cling doesn't cling very well, just rub it on your shirt or pants to "recharge" it. I wish SU gave the option of buying unmounted.
THANKS FOR THIS GREAT TIP! Timing is everything. I just need to pick up my cd cases and then I am getting started! Is there any particular place you buy the roll vinyl cling? I doubt that M's carries it.

Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been in the process of converting my wood mounts to EZ mount. I love the stuff! And the difference in storage space is astounding! My only concern was resale, but since more of us are starting to convert, this is no longer such a bit concern. Give it a shot... once to you try it, I'm pretty sure you will love it as much as we do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 08:45 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by msamethyst1
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela Bounds
The stamps cling nicely to the glossy paper.
You don't need to put the glossy paper in the CD case. The EZ Mount will cling right to the plastic of the CD case. Save that glossy paper for stamping on. When i make an index sheet I use the CD case as my mount. Mount the stamps on the front or the back, ink them up, stamp them on plain old paper cut to fit where the liner notes would, clean the stamps and move them to the inside. Yep I use plain paper for indexing - save my cardstock for stamping and not indexing. :shock:
HTH,
THANK FOR ANOTHER GREAT TIP! As I mentioned on a previous post, I just need to get this project started. You are saving me heaps of time and cs with this tip.

Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've discovered (for new sets) that I can fold the sheet of stickers included by SU to fit inside the jewel case. In order to be able to see the name of the set on the shelf, I fold that part down and sort of shape it like the cards inside CDs. That sections is slightly too large to fit properly, but it works very well at a slight angle. Of course, for the old sets, I have to stamp the images and print out the name. But the time it takes will be worth it in the long run. I have over 50 sets and 6 background stamps in less than 2 feet of shelf space. I found a fabulous set of shelves at my neighbor's garage sale. He is a dj at a radio station. He had these shelves made to fit CD cases. It holds over 900 cds. Just think of all the stamps I can fit into it with EZ Mount! Yahoo!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

So.......if one wanted to try this, how hard is it to get the foam off a previously mounted stamp? I know that it is pretty easy to get it off the wood, but off of the rubber itself?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Looking for Wood Blocks!!!!

I'm still in love with the wood mounted stamps and am looking for some wood blocks for some unmounted SU! sets I bought at a garage sale. Can anyone help me out? I will pay postage for anyone who can send me the wood mounts to fit the following sets:
Simple Somethings
By Design
Fantastic Foliage
Wide Open Spaces
Also have the butterfly stamp from HS Ageless Adornments.

I am dying to use these sets. If you can help me out email me privately at [email protected]

Thanks

Shelley BC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

It's not hard to get the foam off of the rubber- just warm it in the microwave- start on a low setting for about 5 seconds- just enough to warm the adhesive and make it easy to peel off. I've found the best deals for the cling vinyl and acrylic blocks at stamping conventions, but I've bought some supplies here (scroll to bottom of page to see prices for UM supplies) The 1/16" double backed adhesive cushion seems thin to the EZ mount, but I haven't had any problems with it- plus it works great for itty bitty stamps/alphabets.

http://www.saltspring.com/oldisland/...S%20Prices.htm

Also, here are a couple links that give step by step directions with pictures

http://www.divatribe.com/howto/mountstamps.shtml

http://www.saltspring.com/OLDISLAND/catalogue/PDF%20files/Cling%20Mount%20System%20for%20Rubber%20Art%20Stam ps%20US.pdf#search='rubber%20stamps%20cling%20viny l'

Hope this helps, Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

What does everyone do with their wooden blocks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 11:54 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Once you put the static cling sheet on the rubber stamp, does it ever need to be replaced?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I am also new to the UM's (I started using them in December) but I LOVE them. They are really easy to use. I had thought it would be a hassle to have to mount them each time, but I don't even realize I am doing it anymore. My favorite thing about them seems to be every one else's SPACE SAVING!!! Of course, saving money on the stamp sets also is a big plus.

If you are at all nervous about it see if you can find someone else who uses them and try theirs. CTMH and TAC both sell these and I am sure most of the demos would love to let you try it. It sure hooked me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 12:39 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Does anybody know if Hobby Lobby or Michaels carries the static sheets? I know I saw the clear acrylic blocks in one of the 2 stores. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I have a couple of unmounted alphabet sets and love the flexibility of being able to spell out whole words on the acrylic block - especially when making cards. I'm going to check into converting my SU stamp sets to unmounted. Thanks for all the tips and website info!

Melissa

Mī Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Wow! Ask a question and you WILL get an answer! You all gave me a lot to think about. One problem for me is that I am a new demo. I wonder if we all asked SU to sell acrylics if they would actually change!
Thanks for all your replies!
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 01:47 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

I have everything I need to switch to unmounted as well. I have not mounted any sets in the last 3 or so monthes. I purchased the static cling at Wal-Mart for next to nothing. I just need to get some CD cases. I picked up some CD holders at the $1 store so I can slide them right in...I'm going to be able to cut my storage space down DRASTICALLY and I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Why do you have to take the foam off the rubber? Don't you need it for cushion, and should just take the stamp off the wooden block?

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Can acrylic blocks and the static cling sheets be purchased at JoAnn's or Michaels?

This is very intriguing to me....want more info! Want more info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutch_l
Why do you have to take the foam off the rubber? Don't you need it for cushion, and should just take the stamp off the wooden block?

Linda
If you're going to use the EZMount system, you remove the foam from the rubber beecause the EZMount has foam on it also. As someone else mentioned earlier, you can see the system at www.sundayint.com

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgp@alumni
Wow! Ask a question and you WILL get an answer! You all gave me a lot to think about. One problem for me is that I am a new demo. I wonder if we all asked SU to sell acrylics if they would actually change!
Thanks for all your replies!
Linda
As a demo, I know you can only use current WM out of the catalog. BUT I think the more demos that mention to SU the level of interest out there they may have to consider alternative. CTMH converted last year and SU must be thinking about that. One of my friends is a demo, most of her customer base is scrappers. Her volume of sales has decreased slightly and customers are looking at the alpha sets that CTMH has because they are so easy to store. It would cost SU nearly nothing to just create rubber sheets of stamp sets. That is is first step in the process already!
IMHO!

Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 03:52 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add me to the UM list ;) I've also taken all of my sets off of the wood and onto the EZ mount.

I got my EZ mount at www.sundayint.com

If you are a demo you get 25% off!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

The only way SU! will know we want this is if you contact them. Both demos and customers can contact SU! with suggestions - everyone send those emails!!

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by needsmorestamps!
Add me to the UM list ;) I've also taken all of my sets off of the wood and onto the EZ mount.

I got my EZ mount at www.sundayint.com

If you are a demo you get 25% off!!
i'm not a Demo but i have all my SU sets along with various other vendor stamps all on EZ-mount cling...all my sets are in 2 cd towers which saves me a ton of space--i even re-used the cd cases: all my music cds were transfered into thin jewel cases....i use DVD cases for some of the larger sets....i love this system & truly hope someday SU will go acrylic like CTMH has!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

I am loving using my unmounted sets!! I really love the red rubber and would be very unhappy if SU ever changed to acrylic. I really doubt that will ever happen, though. The rubber has a longer longevity than the acrylic and I invest so much in them I need them to last forever!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the TAC stamps I recently purchased and have unmounted all my SU wheels; however I don't think I will unmount my SU wood mounts because eventually I will sell or trade when I am bored with a set and I feel that resell value might be limited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm the opposite. I won't EVER unmount my wheels. The purpose of wheels for me is to "wheel" them for fast scrapbookin' or a background. On the other hand, I've almost unmounted all my SU sets. I've got 120 to go!!! I've already done over 200. I'm giving myself a break on the last bit.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes