Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UTEE / Glassy Glaze

I just got SU's Glassy Glaze (UTEE), and now I can't remember where I've seen some neat info on how to use it. It's something about putting in on the image, heat & melt, put on another layer, heat again, do this 3 or 4 times, then stamp the area while it's still soft - does anyone remember where I can find the info? Can't wait to try it!!

Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

Use versamark to coat your image..coat with the UTEE and heat. repeat process one more time to achaieve glassy image. Put in freezer overnight. Next morning bend the paper to cause the utee to crack. Way cool!!

Hope this helps.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #3  
Sassy Shani

Is there a substitute for UTEE?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublstuf
Use versamark to coat your image..coat with the UTEE and heat. repeat process one more time to achaieve glassy image. Put in freezer overnight. Next morning bend the paper to cause the utee to crack. Way cool!!

Hope this helps.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #4  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmarion
I just got SU's Glassy Glaze (UTEE), and now I can't remember where I've seen some neat info on how to use it. It's something about putting in on the image, heat & melt, put on another layer, heat again, do this 3 or 4 times, then stamp the area while it's still soft - does anyone remember where I can find the info? Can't wait to try it!!

Thanks.
You can do it with ordinary embossing powder, too. If you use a metallic powder, you can make great faux metal charms! For the ones I made, I used several layers of metallic embossing powder - either add more powder while still wait, or add more Versamark and then emboss again. You need to practise to work out the best number of layers but the best thing is... if you don't like your results, you just reheat and melt and start again!
Once you have a fairly thick layer of embossing (about 4 layers of normal powder, so maybe 2 or 3 of UTEE?), while it is still warm, stamp into it. This works best with "sharp" images, ie an outline image or an alphabet/number stamp. Then allow to cool. I then punched it out with a circle punch to make a great metal-effect medallion.

Hope this helps - have fun!

Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #5  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanon
Is there a substitute for UTEE?
I think you can do this with ordinary embossing powder but, instead of 4 layers (UTEE), you need at least 6. Just keep trying it - and if it doesn't work, melt and start again. I tried it but found smaller images didn't work as well as larger ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #6  
Sassy Shani

Sounds cool. TFS~
Quote:

Originally Posted by hemeynell
You can do it with ordinary embossing powder, too. If you use a metallic powder, you can make great faux metal charms! For the ones I made, I used several layers of metallic embossing powder - either add more powder while still wait, or add more Versamark and then emboss again. You need to practise to work out the best number of layers but the best thing is... if you don't like your results, you just reheat and melt and start again!
Once you have a fairly thick layer of embossing (about 4 layers of normal powder, so maybe 2 or 3 of UTEE?), while it is still warm, stamp into it. This works best with "sharp" images, ie an outline image or an alphabet/number stamp. Then allow to cool. I then punched it out with a circle punch to make a great metal-effect medallion.

Hope this helps - have fun!

Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

OK, I think I've had glassy glaze and utee confused. The glassy glaze is used over the image for a cracked glass effect, right? How else can it be used? UTEE can be used for faux metal charms by heating several layers - how is it put on the CS? Versamark? How else can UTEE be used? I'm confused - and I think I just hijacked my own thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #8  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmarion
OK, I think I've had glassy glaze and utee confused. The glassy glaze is used over the image for a cracked glass effect, right? How else can it be used? UTEE can be used for faux metal charms by heating several layers - how is it put on the CS? Versamark? How else can UTEE be used? I'm confused - and I think I just hijacked my own thread!
Don't know anything about glassy glaze, sorry. But I do know that you can use UTEE for cracked glass because I did it last week!

I have used ordinary metallic embossing powder for the faux metal charms, but I have read somewhere (no doubt it was on here, seeing as I live here ;)) that you can use UTEE instead, but you need fewer layers.

You can use Versamark for both techniques.

I'm sorry, I don't know any other techniques witih UTEE, but I'm sure there are many others described on here - try going into the Techniques forum and doing a search for UTEE. Here's one for starters: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Helen

Last edited by Bagpuss; 04-19-2006 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you all so much! I finally scrolled down to the bottom of this thread, and now I see that I'm not the only one confused! And I did try the Techniques Forum and found several pages on UTEE. I think I'm ready to go now! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Beate has a tutorial on Faux Metal in the Resources section that describes this technique. It is also known as reverse embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes