Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Victory at Michael's!

I'll make this short and quick but i just wanted to share my story of vindication. :mrgreen: I've been having trouble with a michael's in my area for sometime now, from little things like attitudes, and not being open or informative with coupon policies, to basically treating me like a criminal because i asked to sign the log book on the day they discontinued that. don't cha know i'm out to scam michael's? i had all but boycotted the store and was taking my money mostly to hobby lobby that was another 20 minutes further. then, one day i was emailed a coupon for joanne's and thought... what the hey, i could use a new paper trimmer, i'll stop by michael's because it's on my way. well, i tried to use the coupon on the trimmer and the lady said they didn't take online coupons. i told her i thought it was their company policy, could she please check? she called her boss and was talking to her on the phone. she kept shooting me looks, huffing and puffing, and said, "that's what I SAID!" really nastily. i picked up my son and walked out the door without making a purchase. i then emailed and called the 1-800 number, and finally got an email back from the district manager, basically stating that i was right, and that he informed the store of the policy. it also stated that if i did not have a coupon i could print the email and take it in for 50% off one item. i did that, and who was there to recieve the email/ coupon? THE SAME LADY WHO REFUSED TO LET ME USE THE COUPON IN THE FIRST PLACE! sweet justice. she's didn't utter a word other than "what's your zipcode?" as she checked me out. yeah... sweet, sweet justice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Love it!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

You go girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 02:26 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Good for you! You should laminate that e-mail and carry it with you whenever you go in that Michael's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

sweet justice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 03:29 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

It's about time someone was able to put one of the employees in their place. Every time I go it's the same stinky sour pusses waiting on me. I was never allowed to sign a book. No coupon in hand, no discount said with all the snobbiness in the world. Good for you! I couldn't be happier for you being able to do that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #7  
Retail Therapist

WAY TO GO!!! :mrgreen: I think it is a Michael's conspiracy! Their service really stinks!!! I have had the same problem with the coupon thing......and attitudes.......and well, their selection kinda stinks anyway.......the closest one to me is 30 minutes away......lucky for me I have a HL 10 minutes away and they are wonderful and run great sales all the time anyway! With NO coupon needed, I might add! Yea, they get 90% of my craft money (which is a LOT-I *heart* shopping for craft stuff more than anything else!!!) :cool: They were also recently rude to a friend of mine from SCS.......she didn't get very good results from her contact with a DM though.......one more reason for me to spend my money elsewhere! SO happy for you that you got checked out by the same rude woman!!! :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I love my Michaels store but I do have this problem with AC Moore. I've never encountered bad customer service at Michaels but no matter when I go in, it is the same lady at the register at AC Moore and she has NEVER been polite. I always get the feeling I'm bugging her by making a purchase. My AC Moore also locks up all their Cuttlebug, Sizzix, and Cricut cartridges/dies and it's like pulling teeth to find someone to get me a $10 die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 05:37 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

My Michael's is pretty good, it's our Hobby Lobby that stinks. The store is not kept clean and the employees all have more attitude than aptitude, which is why I avoid the place. My favorite place was the local Ben Franklin Crafts which just went out of business.

A paid blood donation place moved in next door to them, and a lot of gals stopped going because the parking lot was crowded with some unsavory-looking types. But their employees had the most helpful attitudes around, I hope they found jobs - because they sure wouldn't fit in at the chain stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 05:43 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

It is so funny to read this thread. I was just at my Michael's last night. I was dying to find those photo coasters that Jantink mentioned on her blog. They looked so darn snappy. Anyways, I could only find them on the top shelf. I had to track a manager down. She told another worker to help me but the worker said she is afraid of heights. So the manager in a huff went and got the ladder. When I showed her what I was after and she said, Well it's over here on a lower shelf. I apologized telling her I went around twice and never saw it. Then as I am heading up front with my purchase I over heard her telling her co-worker how I made her haul this "huge" ladder and that I supposedly missed it. Like I made her do something out of her way. Hello!!! Are you not an employee?????????????

I was so pissed that I set down the darn coasters and left. There is no reason to have an attitude like that and certainly no reason if you are a supervisor or manager.

Atleast I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who is unhappy with Michael's staff. At our Hobby Lobby they go out of their way to help and I have never heard any of them gripe or complain about it.

Signed the p'd off stamper

Last edited by beegirl; 07-24-2008 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by beegirlView Post
When I showed her what I was after and she said, Well it's over here on a lower shelf. I apologized telling her I went around twice and never saw it. Then as I am heading up front with my purchase I over heard her telling her co-worker how I made her haul this "huge" ladder and that I supposedly missed it. Like I made her do something out of her way.
Please please please consider looking up the toll free number on the Michaels website and calling them about this! I'm not affiliated in any way with Michaels, but I'm positive head office would be appalled to hear how you were treated! This 'manager' will continue this inappropriate behaviour with other customers if no one does anything, and I would bet that if you told them about this incident and how it made you walk right out of the store without buying anything, they will probably be so grateful they will give you a coupon or something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:02 AM   #12  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some might not find it *interesting* that one of michaels.com's "top questions" relates to complaints... here's what they say:

How do I register a complaint about a store?
As a customer oriented business, our top priority is excellent service and product selection. Comments like yours are instrumental in helping us provide the level of service, knowledge and attitude you should expect from Michaels Stores, Inc. If you would care to place your comments in writing, you may click here, to submit your issue directly to customer support. We can then forward your comments to the District Manager and Store Manager of the store concerned or you may call 1-800-xxx-xxxx.[check link if you need it]
Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
Please please please consider looking up the toll free number on the Michaels website and calling them about this! I'm not affiliated in any way with Michaels, but I'm positive head office would be appalled to hear how you were treated! This 'manager' will continue this inappropriate behaviour with other customers if no one does anything, and I would bet that if you told them about this incident and how it made you walk right out of the store without buying anything, they will probably be so grateful they will give you a coupon or something!
Not true!! I had several bad experiences with both of my local Michael's stores and I finally contacted the head office. They basically told me too bad so sad. I was stunned. At the time I spent literally $1000's of dollars in that store because I was teaching classes, I stopped shopping there the day I talked to corporate and then I sent lettes to both stores and corporate detailing the problems, how I was treated, my occupation, how much I spent in their stores and (I offered to send them about $9,000 in current recipets), I told them I would rather shop online than have to put up with that type of treatment. I got a pathetic email back telling me they were sorry I felt that way. No apology, nothing! I now only go in to Michaels with a coupon. They are not worth my time otherwise. I can get a better selection and usually cheaper prices online or at the LSS. (Yes I am still bitter that they are so rude and careless with their customers) Maybe someone should send this thread to Michaels corporate office so they can see how wide spread the rudeness of their staff is. I doubt it would make a difference though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:14 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

It is good to know that M's are the same everywhere. I have two in my area and they are both just as rude and unhelpful. And the coupon issue will be never ending, they treat you like a complete jerk when you start whipping out the ole' coupons. I wish that something at the corp. level would bring these places back to the reality of kindness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

The M's we go to is 2-1/2 hours away, but they give us coupons if we don't have them! We don't always get their flyer so we don't know what is on sale when we go. Luckily they have been awesome.

As for OP - good for you, maybe they will wise up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Hehehe--love it!

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Good for you Rachel! Thanks for standing up for all of us!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuteblueshoesView Post
My Michael's is pretty good, it's our Hobby Lobby that stinks. The store is not kept clean and the employees all have more attitude than aptitude, which is why I avoid the place. My favorite place was the local Ben Franklin Crafts which just went out of business.

A paid blood donation place moved in next door to them, and a lot of gals stopped going because the parking lot was crowded with some unsavory-looking types. But their employees had the most helpful attitudes around, I hope they found jobs - because they sure wouldn't fit in at the chain stores.

I'm giggling at the location of a paid blood donation place next to a craft store...............next time I need funds for my craft addiction I might be tempted!!!!! (no, not really)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #19  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Michael's is about the last place I will shop. They have zero selection, and when they finally do get a new product in, it sells out so fast, and isn't restocked, and the remainder is clearanced out.
They need some NEW FRESH BLOOD running the stores!!!!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Glad you got a resolution you can live with. I guess I am one of the lucky ones in regards to my local Michaels. Ours always have good and friendly service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Good for you! I must be in the minority not having any issue with Michaels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I don't shop my local Michael's very often anymore (purchase most of my things through TAC and other online sources), but the workers at my store have a very helpful attitude about accepting competitor coupons.

I'm glad you stood up for yourself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Way Cool story!!

Jenny
My Blog..
http://pinchofpaisley.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Our Michael's has never given me problems with coupons or general service, but their inventory is what keeps me away. They just don't carry a very good selection of anything. I usually find what I want at a couple of our local places. And I think that's another problem - we don't have Hobby Lobby, AC Moore here, just Joanns and their paper crafts selection is pretty small. I think if our Michael's had a little more competition things would be different.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Our Michaels here is great. It is Joannes that everyone can't stand to deal with in this town. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

How funny this thread is for me at this point in time.

I just had a huge issue with Michael's and the new Prima flowers they are suppose to be carrying. yeah, my store doesn't really carry all that was detailed in the email

The attitude I got when I asked an employee about it was over the top. When I talked to the store manager he told me to get the UPC codes of the products I wanted and he'd see if he could find them at another store for me so I could get them there.

When I talked to corporate, i got nowhere.

3 calls to corporate and I FINALLY got to talk to a district manager - which got me a 30% discount off of a few bottles of Primas - but my store always has attitude.

I think poor attitiude is a requirement for their store, because I have noticed that the few really good employees don't last long.

I'm done with michaels.

I'd rather spend my money at HL, Joanns, Pat Catans or Cord Camera, all of which I have within 5 miles of me.

Glad to see that the poor attitude is not just limited to my store, but really sorry for all that have had to deal with these poor attitudes and poor customer service.

Too bad corporate does not care how the customers are treated. Maybe if they cared more things would be different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default In Michaels yesterday

I just went in for a quick item, which I found!

At the check out the cashier was highlighting several things on the receipt as it was printing out. When I looked at it was a website for a Guest Experience Survey where part of the website's name is "mysteryshopper."

So hopefully, there are beginning to "GET IT":rolleyes:

www.yappinboutstampin.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I voiced my opinion on Michael's website. Let's see if they respond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Perfect....WTG Rachel!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by beegirlView Post
Well, I voiced my opinion on Michael's website. Let's see if they respond.
Hope you have more success than I did. I contacted Michaels this morning thru their website to share my opinion of head office, and also linked to this thread. They sent me an email asking for my phone number so they could contact the local and district managers etc. -- obviously they didn't even read my message as at no time did I ever mention having a problem at my local Michaels. I have officially Given Up on Michaels Head Office. :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
Our Michael's has never given me problems with coupons or general service, but their inventory is what keeps me away. They just don't carry a very good selection of anything. I usually find what I want at a couple of our local places. And I think that's another problem - we don't have Hobby Lobby, AC Moore here, just Joanns and their paper crafts selection is pretty small. I think if our Michael's had a little more competition things would be different.
Most likely not. We have JoAnns, Michaels and ACMoore. ACMoore opened about a year and a half ago and Jo's and M's both have been here for a lot longer. I can't stand our M's becuase they never get anything new and the employees are very rude. I remember one employee complaining about her personal life and job to me while ringing up my stuff. I find that type of behavior from employees to be very innapropriate.

To the OP: Very cool story. I am so glad you were able to go to the GM and then go back to the store and throw that email in her face, so to speak. I understand that working in retail is not the most rewarding job, but if they really are that miserable then go do something else. I started in retail and totally decided I needed a change. So I made it happen.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

It's funny - we have a Michael's in the same shopping center with a Joann, and I prefer Michael's hands-down. I liked Joann better for a while, until I realized that I'd pretty much seen everything... their stuff NEVER changes. Our Michaels has really nicely laid-out aisles, and a prominent "new stuff" area that's always changing.

It may be, though, because it's really close to Michael's headquarters (and the "Michael"'s house) - I'm sure it has to be up to par when people from the main office come in.

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

I went to Michael's to purchase my Big Shot, which is of course locked up. There was one cashier working so she called over a manager. Without even going to check, she told me they were out. The cashier told her that some had come in that morning and that they were in the stock area. Still she told me that there were none. I asked her if she could please check for me, and she rolled her eyes at me!! At that point I was not leaving until someone checked for me, told her I could wait all night. She never did check, called someone else to do it. They were in stock, had at least two because someone else purchased one too!! But I couldn't believe the manager rolled her eyes at me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Doesn't this whole thread make you wonder just how poorly Michael's must train/treat their employees that so many stores are noted for poor employee attitude?! Yes, the nearest Michael's to me is a 1 1/2 hr. drive and it too has employees who are often either totally ignorant on product or so rude it's ridiculous. I seldom go there now when I shop in that city.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

I have three Michaels that I shop at that are all close to either home or work, and it is kind of a mixed bag of experiences that I have when I shop at them. Some are good, some not so good. I do hate the way they make you feel when you ask to use a competitor coupon (Joanns) though. The last time I asked if they would take one, I got a very snippy - "If it is something we both stock" answer in reply. It was a rubber stamp. I responded by saying - "Well, I know Joanns sells rubber stamps. Will I need to verify that they carry THIS particular stamp?" She didn't say anything else, just rang me up and I was on my way, but...I didn't appreciate the way she treated me. On the other hand, many of the employees are very nice and helpful.

On the whole, though, I prefer Joanns. I WISH we had a Hobby Lobby or an AC Moore here in the greater Seattle area...sounds like everyone MUCH prefers those stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaLinView Post
I went to Michael's to purchase my Big Shot, which is of course locked up. There was one cashier working so she called over a manager. Without even going to check, she told me they were out. The cashier told her that some had come in that morning and that they were in the stock area. Still she told me that there were none. I asked her if she could please check for me, and she rolled her eyes at me!! At that point I was not leaving until someone checked for me, told her I could wait all night. She never did check, called someone else to do it. They were in stock, had at least two because someone else purchased one too!! But I couldn't believe the manager rolled her eyes at me!!
i believe they are rude. and most are that way because they get paid the same-if they are pleasant or NOT. and they choose not!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

I have one clerk at our M's that I avoid like the plague. She is so not friendly and gets huffy when I ask her questions. All the other cashiers are so nice and helpful. They even open stuff to let me look at it. But that one has me doing drive-bys on the store now. And since reading this I have had to take a look at myself and figure out why I have not called in on her. I purchased a Design Runner and the Disc Maker and sure enough I needed to take the disc maker back and I got her. She was angry that I had a return and was really huffy. She was examining the package to make sure it had never been opened but she was really over the top. Maybe they pay her extra to discourage returns?????? I was almost ready to say thats okay I will use it even though I dont want it!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good for you for sticking it out! These days customer service is the #1 reason to visit a business - almost disregarding sales, etc.

Next time take 10 copies of the coupon with you and accidentally spill them all over the counter when you check out. THEN hand them out to the other folks in line. :twisted:

Oh - I hand out coupons in Mike's, HL's and Joann's. Everybody smiles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

While there are some rude people in our Mike's, I'm actually shopping there less often cause of the awful selection. I swear I haven't seen a new stamp in there since they opened. And Cuttlebug stuff! They NEVER got any of the new folders last time, these were a huge item - why on earth wouldn't you try to stock them??
Now, we also have a HL here in town. They at least ordered the new folders! You can tell who gets my business.... Sadly, HL has it's own problems. The staff hasn't ever given me attitude, but they sure don't have a whole lot of aptitude either. You can practically hear the grinding (and see smoke) when you ask a question. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad it worked out for you Rachel. Bad customer service is a total pet peeve of mine. lol

With that said, I like my local Michaels. They are very helpful (or as helpful as they can be ;) ) and are always courteous. Walking through the store, they even ask you if you need help finding anything. When I lived in another part of SoCal, it was a whole 'nother story. More of the same already listed by others.

I guess a great Mike's is hard to find!
Reply With Quote Likes