Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VIKING OVERCHARGE ALERT!

All:

Make sure you check the invoice you receive in the mail from Viking as well as your credit card statement.

On 8/27 I entered an order on the Viking website using what I thought were current discount codes. The web order was accepted & showed the discount prices. But today I received an invoice in the mail with the following note: "THE DISCOUNT CODES HAVE EXPIRED -- WE DID SALE PRICES ON ALL ITEMS THOUGH Thanks For Your First Order" So even though my order was accepted & showed the discount prices, they charged my card more!

Mono dispensers were charged @ $3.77 ea. rather than $2.88
Mono refills $1.99 ea. rather than $1.88
RSVP pens $0.49 ea. ($5.88 doz.) rather than $0.38 ea. ($4.56 doz)
I ordered legal pads but the order was kicked out entirely.
I got the $20 discount for orders over $75 though.

I called Viking & was told that the codes expired between the time the order was made on Friday & the time it was processed on Monday. They credited my account for the difference. I was told the legal pad order # was invalid because it is given as a welcome offer to new customers & can’t be used with the first order (and also is only good for 1 pkg. of 5 pads).

I’m pleased that they offered the refund but concerned that the site accepted my order yet they charged my credit card more than I agreed to. They should have (1) figured out that orders shipped on Monday but ordered on Friday should get the Friday price or (2) at least emailed or called to see if I still wanted the items at the higher price rather than just filling the order and charging an unauthorized amount to my credit card.

It's always a good practice to check your invoices & credit card statements, but make sure you do it with your Viking orders. And don't forget to print out your order page when you place your order.

Marsha
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 03:04 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marsha,

Thanks for the info! I am one of those people who hardly ever check credit card statements or bills that (I think) have been processed, and I was thinking about ordering some Monos from Vikings this week using the codes that I see on this site.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Default Wow!

That is not good business. I just ordered mine yesterday too.
They should call first if they have any changes. I think that is the reason they have "contact" information.
They may have good deals but as I said in an earlier post it is the screwyist ordering system I have ever seen.
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 03:17 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

hmmm sounds like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing over at Viking! Thanks for the tip!

Sonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Default Re: VIKING OVERCHARGE ALERT!

Quote:

Originally Posted by spammie
All:
credited my account for the difference. I was told the legal pad order # was invalid because it is given as a welcome offer to new customers & can’t be used with the first order (and also is only good for 1 pkg. of 5 pads).
Marsha
huh? that doesnt make sense. Its a welcome offer for new customers, but can't be used on new orders?
Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 03:33 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

uh oh...I just ordered refills and RSVP pens today...$1.88 each for refills and $ .38 for RSVP pens...at least that's what the website said. Thanks for the heads up. I tried but was not able to get the legal pad code to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 03:44 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

explain the whole discount code thing? I am confussed. I think you still got a good price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Interesting - I'd better check the VISA bill. FYI - I got a pack of the legal pads on the first order I ever placed with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 04:37 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Whoa. This is a VERY timely post, because I just had someone from Viking call me to talk with me about my order a few days ago, and she sent me a "thank you letter" with a new discount code in it.

I, too, got legal pads on my first order with them! And I got 3 of the 5-packs, not just one!

I think what happened was ... they got wise to the fact that they were sending out TONS of these pads, so they clamped down and instituted a limit on them. Either that, or we already bought them all. :-)

As for charging your credit card a different amount than what you agreed to pay (and, I'm pretty sure, placing the order via the Web site constitutes "agreeing to pay") ... I'm pretty sure that's a violation of their merchant agreement with their credit card processor, in the very least. I mean, if it was legal to charge more than what people agree on, I think Viking wouldn't be the only place doing it, ya know?

I would call and ask to speak to someone IN CHARGE and tell them you're very displeased. I would be MAD, frankly. Charging someone more than what they thought they would pay ... that is severely UNCOOL.

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

for those that have recently placed orders, did it say the mono refills were on backorder? i was just wondering if people have had to deal with backorders from them before, and if it's usually a long wait. It didn't give any estimated time for delivery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 04:49 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Big, big ditto to Heather! CONSUMERS COMPLAIN!

Do not put up with shoddy service or overcharges!

spammie, you state, "I’m pleased that they offered the refund but concerned that the site accepted my order yet they charged my credit card more than I agreed to. "

This is a Big NO NO. I mean really big. Viking should give you another refund for the difference between what was agreed upon and what they charged your credit card.

I would go as far as to push Viking for a $10 or $20 store credit towards your next internet purchase for your trouble and hassle of dealing with this.

Think I'm crazy? I could tell you stories....consumers complain!

If Viking won't comply with your demands, and yes, demand it...simply call your credit card company. They will request all paperwork and do this for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is interesting = I received my first Viking order and was charged a higher price on the mono than I thought I was paying. I was unsure about whether the code had expired so I let it go. They also forgot to include my pack of Sharpies - I did call them about that and they shipped them out the next day. Hmmmmm.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 02:04 AM   #13  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

hmmm maybe that is why I have them bill me and I pay it after I get the order. Then I look over the invoice and send them a check. I last ordered August 14th though and the codes were good then.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 09:03 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by readsomething
Whoa. This is a VERY timely post, because I just had someone from Viking call me to talk with me about my order a few days ago, and she sent me a "thank you letter" with a new discount code in it.

I, too, got legal pads on my first order with them! And I got 3 of the 5-packs, not just one!

I think what happened was ... they got wise to the fact that they were sending out TONS of these pads, so they clamped down and instituted a limit on them. Either that, or we already bought them all. :-)

As for charging your credit card a different amount than what you agreed to pay (and, I'm pretty sure, placing the order via the Web site constitutes "agreeing to pay") ... I'm pretty sure that's a violation of their merchant agreement with their credit card processor, in the very least. I mean, if it was legal to charge more than what people agree on, I think Viking wouldn't be the only place doing it, ya know?

I would call and ask to speak to someone IN CHARGE and tell them you're very displeased. I would be MAD, frankly. Charging someone more than what they thought they would pay ... that is severely UNCOOL.

-- Heather
i'm addressing the bolded portion of this submittion: yes call, email, write etc and let them know that they CAN NOT do this. the practice of charging more than agreed to is TOTALLY ILLEGAL! whether or not the order was processed before/during or after the expiration of any sale regardless of where the purchase was made, in person, by phone, by internet, it's ILLEGAL TO CHARGE MORE THAN THE PRICE ON THE ORDER FORM! the agreed upon price is the one in effect WHEN ORDERED!!!! they must let you know if the price changed and get YOUR PERMISSION to charge you the extra!
also: SAVE COPIES OF THOSE ORDERS TO YOUR HARD DRIVE! AND TO BE SAFE PRINT THEM OUT TOO!
ps: i'm not angry at anyone - just trying to emphasize!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 09:18 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

This is just one reason I use a specific credit card for online transactions. I have a credit card that I can go online and create a new number that is for the exact amount I want and can have an expiration anywhere from two months to longer.

I placed an order with another place and my order was for, say, $23 and it showed free shipping (that I would get with a $25 order). I tried refreshing the page and everything, but it kept giving me the free shipping. So, I created a credit card number for exactly the amount it showed me would be charged. I got an email a few days later saying that my order had been cancelled due to one of many reasons. They tried to charge more than what my invoice said and it wouldn't work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Can you tell us what kind of credit card this is. I would certainly like to have one that allows you to use specific numbers for specific purchases. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

That is crazy! I just placed my order on monday night. I used all discount codes, free shipping and $20 discount on $50 order. Its supposed ot be delivered today. WHen i checked the site, it shows the correct amount, but i CC has not been charged (checked online)...i really hope its not a mess, when they do bill my CC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 10:20 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppofct
Can you tell us what kind of credit card this is. I would certainly like to have one that allows you to use specific numbers for specific purchases. Thanks
Sure! It's an MBNA Mastercard. If you do call and sign up for one, make sure you get one that includes Online Shop Safe. My DH has the same card (MBNA, not linked to my account) and he doesn't have access to the Shop Safe feature. You can look at their cards and all that jazz at www.mbna.com if you're interested.

There are probably other cards that have this feature, but this is the only one of mine that has it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

For the people asking about having a specific number for online purchases citibank also offers this option, you might chek with them also.

To the OP: sorry for all the problems you had, that is not right of them to charge your card for more, I would have complained also...hope you have no further problems...

I now have a gallery!! www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/miss_missy
Reply With Quote Likes