Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2005, 02:37 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Watercolor crayons: watercolor paper or SU cardstock ?

I was wondering if you need to use the watercolor paper with the watercolor crayons? or can you use any of the SU cardstock? Do you get different effects by using the watercolor paper vs. using different SU cardstock?

I am going to order the watercolor crayons and was just wondering what works best with them. Thanks for all your help

SCS memeber # 27799
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 02:51 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be interested to find out the answer to that question too, In addition to that, what is the difference between the watercolor pencils and the crayons? Are there different applications for both?

Thanks.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 04:37 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

I have not used the SU watercolor crayons, but do use watercolor pencils and paints. The watercolor paper is much thicker and more absorbent than cardstock, and has a slight texture, so you do generally get a different "look" than you do with cardstock. It also handles the water better, so it doesn't tend to warp/wrinkle as much. Both work nicely, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 04:59 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. Louis
I'd be interested to find out the answer to that question too, In addition to that, what is the difference between the watercolor pencils and the crayons? Are there different applications for both?

Thanks.
So far, I've only used cardstock. You have to be mindful of warping with any kind of paper when you introduce water -- even with watercolor paper! It helps to tape it down till it dries, or use a small watercolor block. It's a pad of watercolor paper that is glued on all four sides with only a small gap for tearing the top sheet off when you're done.

The pencils offer more control than the crayons simply because of the smaller tip, but if you color directly onto the rubber and then spritz with water the crayons give you a great loose watercolor effect that you can't get very well with the pencils. A handful of people here have tried coloring on the rubber with the pencils, but I would think that it's a lot harder to do (I think the rubber has to be wet first or the pencil won't take) and the results wouldn't be the same.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 09:03 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I've had excellent results (IMHO) with plain ole' Whisper White/Very Vanilla with the Aqua Painters. You can't overwork the painting, or the surface of the paper will start to pill.

I used watercolor paper for the first time last night at a shoebox event, and I really was ho hum about the results (although it was a small image; maybe I need to try something bigger).

Also had a background that was direct-to-rubber with the crayons. It takes a lot of pressure to get any coverage, and sure enough, the hostess broke someone else's crayon. No tears, but I'm glad it wasn't me! The rubber wasn't wet (I think it would have been easier), but we spritzed twice (lightly) before stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my aqua painters with almost every card. I just use reg. SU CS. I keep a paper towel handy to wipe off any excess water before I ink up my tip. I just do the "squeeze the closed ink pad method" and then dab the tip of the aqua painter onto the lid, which has a spot of ink. Does that make sense? If my color is too light I just add more. The ink dries very quickly. I have not tried the crayons. I think the crayons probably give a darker more vibrant color. Can someone give a critique on the difference between aqua painters and crayons? Thanks, Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 11:07 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use both the WW Crayons and the ink pads to watercolor. The WW Crayons are much easier to work with. You can move the color around with the crayons - not so much with inks. Hope I'm making sense. When you use inks the color saturates quickly, with the crayons you get more time to move the color. Also you can layer color easily with the crayons.
I use both watercolor paper and Whisper White with the inks and crayons. I think it is easier when using CS to use a blender pen. I always use the aqua painter with watercolor paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Last night I was stamping using the WWC. When I colored on the stamps and misted with water, the results were much better on the watercolor paper versus confetti white. On the confetti white, the colors weren't as strong. For watercoloring, I don't think it matters much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My personal preference is to use the blender pen with the watercolor crayons when coloring in a stamped design. Much more control over the result -- i think the aquapainter and a paint brush are too "wet" for most paper. If you are careful, however, and use just a touch of water, you can use the WCC and water on regular SU cardstock.

Watercolor paper, however, is made for this stuff. The WCC, inks, whatever, will blend and bleed into each other in a way that you won't get with cardstock. If you are going to mist the stamp, rub with the WCC and then mist and stamp, you will get a better result with watercolor paper. I haven't been pleased with my results, on any kind of paper, with this technique. Either the image is too blurry (too much water) or too dry and you can hardly see it. However, other folks have had much better luck than I with this technique.

Just remember -- the SU black ink is not waterproof -- make sure to get Staz on when using water!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Just remember -- the SU black ink is not waterproof -- make sure to get Staz on when using water!!
Didn't it used to be or am I losing my mind:confused:

I use my Aquapainter all the time (usually use the markers on an acetate sheet and then pull the ink off of that w/the brush) and just got my crayons and haven't really used them yet. When you guys say you use the Aquapainter w/the crayons do you "pull" the color from the crayons or use the crayons on the paper and then go over w/Aquapainter?

Also, I bought the pure color pencils not too long ago and haven't used them yet. Any suggestions?

TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 01:39 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

We used the watercolor crayons at my stamp club this month. We used an aquapainter, brushed it on the crayon to pick up the color and then painted it on the stamp and then stamped onto regular cardstock. I've tried other ways and this one seemed to work the best. This was a lot easier than coloring onto the stamp and then spraying with water. Here is a link to the card we made.
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have used my blender pens and my aquapainters with the crayons, markers, and ink pads. Personally, I prefer to use the aquapainters with the crayons, it just seems easier and I like the results better (my Grandmother was an artist and was amazing with watercolors, and I don't feel like it looks "right" with just the blender pens.) (For what it's worth, I used to think I'd never be able to get watercoloring down pat, but I love these crayons.) I agree with Christine that pulling color from the crayons has worked better than coloring on the rubber and misting, but I have seen some great examples from that technique. So far, I have used the regular SU cardstock, but I would like to try the watercolor paper soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Smile Thank You

Now I have some clarification on the differences between watercolor paper and SU cardstock. I am going to order the watercolor paper with my watercolor crayons - it sounds like this what I need to get the look I am looking for.

Also thanks for all the tips - I am going to be very busy playing with my new watercolor crayons when they arrive - too bad I am waiting till SAB to place my big order :( . I am looking forward to trying all the different ways to use the watercolor crayons

SCS memeber # 27799
Reply With Quote Likes