Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watercoloring tips?

Ok-

I do like the prisma and gamsol blending, but my brother is an artist and he had some watercolor tubes laying around, so I tried them out with a bird stamp from MS. OK, I LOVE IT! Its EASY! I do have a set of bold bright crayons, and I just recently ordered the brushes, but what are some tips you can give me as far as shading and blending? He is not really keen on water color, so I would've asked bro..thanks

although, I have to say, I kinda liked the tubes of watercolor paint..I wonder if they are cheaper than SU crayons??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought a set of watercolor paints from Michaels a couple of days ago - I think it was around $15 for 18 tubes. They weren't the most expensive set or the best quality paints, by any means, but they work. I used to paint years ago, before marriage and children (a LONG time ago!), and since I've just gotten into rubber stamping, I thought I would start painting again, too - a little bit, anyway - I still have children at home, after all - time doesn't exactly weigh heavily on my hands, you might say. Ha, ha!

Anyway, you really need to be careful with the amount of liquid you have on your brush with watercolor paint, especially if you aren't using heavy watercolor paper to paint on. Thin your paint out with water, then dab it on a paper towel before painting, or you will saturate your paper and cause it to wrinkle badly. You will probably want to thin it considerably before painting - those round plastic paint holders with the smaller individual paint "cups" work really well to hold your paint - you can get them at Michaels, too - I think they are a dollar or so.

I like to use the watercolor crayons - I bought a non-SU set at a store awhile back. I just wet my paintbrush, then get the tip of the crayon wet, and transfer the color that way. I know it's not the conventional technique, but I like it and it works for me.

I would have to say I prefer using the crayons over watercolor paints just because there is less prep time involved in painting and it's easier to get a consistent color and look. But you can certainly get good results with paints as well.

With paints you can change the shades by mixing paint - the downside to that, of course, is that it's harder to duplicate if you didn't mix enough the first time or if you want to make another card exactly the same.

I don't know that this answers your original question, but I hope it helps!

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. Psalm 119:114

My Little Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I have SU WWCs and I love them. I use them with an aqua painter I got witha coupon at Michaels all the time. I am not very artistic and I think they are very forgiving. Also I must say. i have had them for a while and some of them I use all the time and you can hardly tell I have used them. I imagine they will last a VERY long time so it is a good investment JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love to watercolor, but I don't have any advice to give really as far as blending/shading goes . . . my own method is pretty, well, 'um . . . "unconventional", I guess?

1. It's OK to slop the color around/go outside the lines
2. Leave the color intense/darker where you want shadow/shading
3. Leave some areas "white"/uncolored, where you want highlights
4. Keep a paper towel or tissue handy, in case you need to absorb excess water or color quickly as you're working--just apply a corner and it will suck it up speedy quick.

Yeah. That's pretty much it. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Last winter I saw a demo on using watercolor paints to for distressing. I haven't tried it yet but the deonstrator's example was impressive. I will look for my notes tonight at home and post the steps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Get the WW in Neutrals. They are great for adding shading!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

The value of a hand's-on experience just can't be beat. I tried SU's WCC's last week at another demo's workshop and totally fell in love. I'd been toying with the idea but wasn't sure if I should save my $ for more rubber. I WILL be buying them now and giving a whole new look to the stamps I now have...so that's like I have double the number of stamps...right??? Also, I agree with Julie's method...such as my experience so far verifies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

i have been toying with the idea of getting the WCC's, i thin k i will have to go ahead and try it....

MWBS
Mom to 2 girls...love being creative...in everything I do...
DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE......Walt Disney
I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I personally use the Aqua Painter and the WWC's by SU. They are by far my favorite way to color stamps in. I just dip the tip of my brush right on the tip of the crayon while it is still in the "tin" case that they come in. They are awesome!!!! I love that they match the colors exactly!!!! (Which you can't get by buying them from anyone but yourself. - if you are a demo.)

Being an Art Major in school, I learned that the very easiest way to use the paints that come in a tube is buy yourself a pallet... you know the thing that you see to represent the painters! They have them that come in all sizes... put a glob of each color in each "cube" or "cup" that is on the pallet. If they dry out you just use a spray bottle and spray them to "remoisen" them... or again AquaPainter is always a great "cleanest" - less accidents with spilt water cups around.
Reply With Quote Likes