Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wedding invitation help

i have a good friend that is getting married in vegas in a couple months. I am actually needing to make invitations for the reception as they are getting married in vegas, with only their close relatives there, then they are coming here for the reception a week later. is there an su stamp that would go along with the vegas theme? are there any cool ideas u have that wouldnt' be too costly for about 50-75 invitations? i had thought about vegas stickers on the front, but that could get quite costly. also, the couple only wants money instead of other wedding gifts as they already bought a house together about 2 years ago...how do i word that on the invitations? any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2005, 07:14 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I don't have any ideas for the invites right now. I just wanted to say that I don't think you
should put on there that they just want money. But that is just my opinion. Please don't take offense.

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? ~ Dr. Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree that it's tacky to say the couple only wants money. I received a baby shower invitation with "only gift cards - she has everything else" and was turned off by that. I did get a gift card but then I got some other little things too.

Where in Vegas are they getting married? Is there a stamp that would go witth the place? My friend got married at the Eiffel Tower so that would be a possibility.
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

i agree with not putting they only want money, but that's what she asked for......i didn't know if there was a better way to word it....they are getting married at a chapel there, i had thought about making the invites look like playing cards, or dice, but not sure how to go about that either...thanks for the thoughts....no offense taken!!

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

There is a website www.vivalasvegasstamps.com that has some cool Vegas themed stamps. They also have a physical store there. Hope this helps.

Karrie G.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2005, 08:54 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have had to make a few invites recently, I'll attach two links that were of some help with the verses.

http://versalog.com/cgi-bin/vlog.cgi

http://www.verseit.com/index.cfm

hope they help
Amy
My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

How tacky to ask for only money. I would give them money all right in the form of a donation to a humanitarian organization.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 04:52 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Default wedding invitation

Hi, I have been asked by a friend also to make wedding invitations for them, only they have 300 guests expected!!!! Can anyone offer any samples or websites that I could use for ideas? I have checked out the links offered above and they were great - I think I found the right verse, now I just need to come up with a design that will be simple and classic and easy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 05:18 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I like the playing card idea. What if you were to use their last Initial in the corners instead of spades, diamonds, etc. Then you could stamp even a wedding cake or diamond ring(stamp off first so it's muted) in the center of the card. Then either type the information over that or make the card flip up and type the info inside. Just an idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 05:48 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissstamper
I like the playing card idea. What if you were to use their last Initial in the corners instead of spades, diamonds, etc. Then you could stamp even a wedding cake or diamond ring(stamp off first so it's muted) in the center of the card. Then either type the information over that or make the card flip up and type the info inside. Just an idea.
I quite like this idea!

Regarding the $ thing. When I got married 14 years ago, my hubby and I had just accepted an overseas assignment. We planned the wedding, left the country to start working and flew back to get married. All of our belongings were either in storage or in a shipping crate. Given any gift we got would not be used anytime soon, money was the best alternative for us. We shared our predicament with family, a two good friends of mine and his. We told them we didn't want to be tacky and openly state $ was the best alternative, but if they were openly asked for ideas they could share that they decided to give money because all of our belongings were in storage or wouldn't be used for 3 or more years. We did't register anywhere for that same reason. As word got out that we were actually out of the country, most people came to the conclusion on their own. We received only a very few gifts, mostly $. When we returned home we used the $ to frame all the artwork we had collected on our travels. Even though we sent thank-yous after the the wedding, we sent notes upon our return thanking them again and letting them know how the $ was spent.

Most people use common sense when purchasing gifts--if they are an established couple with good jobs, most folks know they thave "stuff" and will give gift cards. I would just get the word to family and few friends and I'm sure it will work out.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 06:18 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: wedding invitation help

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstephy
also, the couple only wants money instead of other wedding gifts as they already bought a house together about 2 years ago...how do i word that on the invitations?
Unfortunately, there is no good way to word that on the invitations, and this is one area where every advice columnist and etiquette consultant seems to give the same response. Even though most young couples these days need cash more than anything when starting their lives together, stating it on the invitation is very poor taste.

I think the retro look that some have achieved with Simple Shapes or Simply Circles could work for the invitation design. I don't know how your friends would feel about it, but I think the martini glass idea that's being tossed around right now would be interesting. I think this card from the gallery came out great, and could probably be made fairly quickly if you did it assembly-line style: Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 06:34 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I was married just over a year ago so in looking through wedding catalogs what they suggested to do in the case where the couple is wanting money is to spread it by mouth. You don't have to make a big-to-do about it. Just when you have the opportunity mention that they probably have most everything they need so money is something you know they could use.

As for the card my first thought was something along the lines of "We struck it big in Vegas!" I don't know if there is any slot machine type stamps out there. Things you could use in the boxes of the slot machine are a heart, bride/groom stamps (I found some small ones at AC Moore last year) wedding ring, etc. I also really like the playing card idea. Good luck! Please let us know what you come up with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 07:00 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, if you HAVE to put their desire for only $ on the invites, I'd make it a separate insert and write something to the effect of...

Lucky in love, unlucky in Vegas. Donations welcome to help us recoup our losses. (Okay, so this is a little tongue-in-cheek).

or

We have everything we need, but if you'd like to help us pay for our happy event, we welcome your contribution.

I just don't think there is a tactful way to word it. By mouth truly is a better way to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I think something featuring the ace of hearts might be nice for the invitation. Perhaps you might even find such a stamp and insert a pic of the happy couple on the card ...

As for the money request w/in the card, I must say that I agree with the majority - asking for money makes Miss Manners cringe!!! Do you know what the couple hopes to do with the money? If for home repairs or remodeles, maybe a home center or superstore. There are so many alternatives to asking for cash, surely they can find a better solution.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 07:50 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is a site I found that my SIL and I liked for invitation ideas.

http://www.skywriter-invitations.com/weddings
My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 08:36 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

thank u everyone for your comments and ideas. i agree with not mentioning money in the invitation, and i think i am going to just tell my friend that we will all help get the word out that she would like money instead of gifts. They were going to use the money to help pay for the vegas trip. I know she wants a "fun" card...not the traditional wedding card, since it's an invite to the reception not the wedding. I also need to come up with a good one for the bachelorette party we are throwing her. I really want to do vegas themed, just because that seems most feisable. (sp?) I figure I will put a lot of glitter, etc on the front to make it have the "glitz" of vegas. I am still leaning towards the playing card, or dice. I like the suggestion of the couples picture on the card, but im not sure how to word the invitation. Do you just basically say, so and so was married on this date in las vegas, please join us at their wedding reception on this date, this time. I am soooo lost!! thanks everyone for your advice...i really appreciate it!

stephr119@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I think it would be too cute to have their pictures on cards. Then you could use their initials at the top. As for wording what about "What a pair!" That part could be done bigger to get the most attention. Then wherever you wanted to put it you could say something along the lines of "Please join us in celebrating the marriage of (name) and (name)...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 05:45 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

for stampnmom - i think you might check out some of those kits that they carry at michaels. they might work well for that quantity. just a thought.
they kinda look nice and simplistic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 06:17 PM   #19  
One TOT Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstephy
t i agree with not mentioning money in the invitation, and i think i am going to just tell my friend that we will all help get the word out that she would like money instead of gifts. T
You know....the problem may take care of itself. My husband and I got married in Vegas and had a reception here for the people that could not come. We did not register anywhere because I, personally, was not comfortable with that. Because of not registering we ended up with mostly gift cards and cash. That was not the intenention, but that is what happened! I think if you do not mention it and they do not register.....problem solved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 06:21 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Also another avenue you could take on the inviation is Palm trees. Palm trees always hint of glamour!

One suggestion I have, after completing 175 invitations, is don't emboss! Keep it simple...embossing took alot of time! Actually it took over a week of evenings to complete.

The wedding invitation is not the place to mention any gift suggestions at all. I found a little tid bit of etiquette that I listed below that might help.

Wedding Gift Etiquette

We all love to receive gifts, but with respect to a wedding, we should try to focus on what a wedding really means. No, I don’t mean, “Gee, free stuff; the more the better.�? A wedding is about the joining of two people who love each other so much that they pledge their lives to each other forever and they want to make this commitment with friends and family present. This is a profound act, worthy of respect. So, let’s review a bit of wedding etiquette as it relates to the all-important wedding gift.

· Never mention gifts (gift choices or gift registry) on the invitation.

· To publicize your registry information use a wedding website or ‘word of mouth.’

o The one exception is the bridal shower invitation—list it there.

· Ask for cash gifts or gift certificates by ‘word of mouth’ and your wedding website.

· Honeymoon registries are appropriate.
SCS#5115
My Humble Gallery
"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it"
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Ok, I must confess, I am a Miss Manners-aholic. The proper way to do the invite would be to do an "announcement" and then include a reception and response card just like a regular invite with the announcement. The announcements should be mailed the day of the wedding (might be cool to have a Vegas postmark anyway ...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2005, 03:05 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I was just on michaels.com and if you click on the wedding invitation link, there are 20 pages of different invitations....lots of great ideas here...

my gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes