Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Question: do you guys use the Distress Inks for stamping images? Or just for distressing/blending on your card bases?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #42  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use them for both. I usually use my Momento black archival ink & distress inks these days. Sometimes I'll use my Momento small pads if I need a different look, but I can't remember the last time I opened my other ink pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Question: do you guys use the Distress Inks for stamping images? Or just for distressing/blending on your card bases?
This thread got me thinking about how distress dye ink compares with other dye ink. So I did a little exercise for comparison and made the same card with two different inks (Distress and SU! classic ink). I'll be doing a blog 'report' about the comparison tomorrow.

I read on several posts/threads that some use their DI for direct to paper a stamping, but I prefer just to use them for their distressing/blending capabilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Next, I'll try a make up sponge. I'm not going to buy anything else....
A make up sponge should work fine, just use the same sort of circular motion starting off the edge of the paper as you see Tim Holtz use with the blending tool and you should get smooth colour going down.

I sometimes stamp with Distress, Bugga but more often use them in other ways (blending/sponging, brayering, as watercolours).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

A make up sponge should work fine, just use the same sort of circular motion starting off the edge of the paper as you see Tim Holtz use with the blending tool and you should get smooth colour going down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I sometimes stamp with Distress, Bugga but more often use them in other ways (blending/sponging, brayering, as watercolours).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I started out using the wedgie make up foam sponges. Worked well for me. Have since purchased the Tim Holtz blender tool and sponges. Still use the make up sponges at times. Maybe because I used the sponges longer, I feel like I have more control when using them. But like the Holtz products too.

Quote:

What colors Distress Ink do you use most?
As to colors, 18 colors so far. Antique linen, tea dye and vintage photo get the most use. Tumbled glass and broken china are close behind. Also like peeled paint. Bought scattered straw yesterday. Anxious to use it. Already had that reinker. Shabby Shutters and Tattered Rose are next on my list. Black soot has only been used once, due to having other black inks that I like. In a do over, I would have skipped black soot. Maybe someone has some ideas on how to use it to its full advantage?

Quote:

Does anyone think these pads do dry out a little quicker than normal? I had to purchase all the re-inkers, as several of mine were even kinda dry when I purchased them. Anyone else??
In spite of a warning from someone on SCS, bought Spun Sugar as I'm a pink gal too. It was dry from the start. [Now use Memento Angel Pink.] Antique linen was also dry. I have the reinker for antique linen, so I continue using it as I do like the color. Someone posted they found the lighter colors dried out quicker. Ranger states the lighter colors "seem drier". Spun Sugar and Antique Linen are the only two colors that I've used that were dry. With the reinker, I'm not having an issue with antique linen. (Don't have the reinker for Spun Sugar, so can't address if that would resolve the dry issue with that color.)

Quote:

Does any one have a favorite way to store their pads. The lids are lose so you can't store them on their sides but I need a space saving storage method.
I store my distress inks right side up in a wooden cassette case (Goodwill find) at the end of my work counter. Space saving for my set up and quite handy to reach the inks. [Read that Tim Holtz stores his distress inks right side up. Figure if that is what he does, that is what I'd do.] If there had been slightly more space between the "shelves" in the case, there is enough space to the side of each ink pad to store the reinker. Bummer. Would have been nice... Currently trying to figure out how to best store the reinkers.
~ Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #47  
Crimping Master

Walnut stain mixed with tea dye or even scattered straw.

Make up sponge and some baking paper for blending on.

I usually use several DIs direct to a stamp when I want a multi-coloured image - they blend well on a stamp but don't give an even result when used with acrylics so tend to give a mottled result that way. The do apply to the paper more evenly with rubber stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymintView Post
Black soot has only been used once, due to having other black inks that I like. In a do over, I would have skipped black soot. Maybe someone has some ideas on how to use it to its full advantage?
I use black sometimes for sponging edges for an extra dark look - especially something like a faux burnt edges look, or when I might already have used dark browns or faded jeans. I also find it easier to use than my watercolours when I'm trying to colour something black. I certainly don't regret having got it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #49  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 827 Likes on 336 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereegavinView Post
They also have cardstock 50% off and I need lots of that!
Who has cs 50% off?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

by Cook22
I use black sometimes for sponging edges for an extra dark look - especially something like a faux burnt edges look, or when I might already have used dark browns or faded jeans. I also find it easier to use than my watercolours when I'm trying to colour something black. I certainly don't regret having got it.
THANKS Sabrina! Great ideas. Glad now that I have the black.
[Long ago I added your gallery in my personal computer favorites under "gallery favs". ]

I appreciate all the wonderful ideas posted on SCS and marvel at the amazing talent. I've learned so much being on this site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

I use Vintage Photo the most for an aged look, but i also love shabby shutters. It's such an lovely green color! I use distress inks for stamping, aging and blending
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 04:49 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I used to have a ColorBox pigment catseye that was a gorgeous blue, but I don't think there's anything like it in the distress inks. It's crumbled from age and over-use at this stage and I had to throw it out.
Sounds like Prussian Blue to me - i've got that and it's starting to dry up now!! grr!

i always recommend getting one of each colour (ie one blue, one green etc) and then building on that as and when you can. i have to say the new colours seem much nicer than the originals esp the blues! tumbled glass is one of my faves!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
I've bought the Cut-N-Dry stamp foam but I've never opened it up to use it yet. I did have plans to adhere a piece to a wooden block to use as my applicator. But I find the good old fashion sponge works well for me.

I'd be interested to know from those with experience, if the Cut-N-Dry actually does a superior job of blending over sponging. Or is it just another nifty tool.
My understanding is that Cut 'n Dry is the same stuff as what Tim uses for his blending tool. As I have both (:rolleyes I can say that they're so similar that they might as well be the same thing!
As far as blending vs. sponging.... I've sponged with them and wasn't all that happy. I felt like I got a much rougher look with harsh edges. Perhaps it's just my technique and maybe it's only noticeable to me but I wasn't happy. I *love* the blending tool! I really feel like it gives me a smoother look - more like airbrushing than sponged IYKWIM.
It is important to note that the most important thing about blending is that you should be using a non stick mat under your project. This will really help your ink glide in from the edge and give you good results. I did it for a long time without - but now that I know the difference I will never go back.
If you get a strange pad or reinker (Aged Mahogany did have problems for a while) make sure to contact Ranger! They are phenomenal about customer service... I promise you won't be sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have most of the Distress Ink colors and I love 'em! They are more transparent and blend so beautifully. I also love to use my water brush and watercolor with them.

Of course, my first response to the question was -- all of them. But I do have favorites:

tea dye
vintage photo
peeled paint
wild honey
broken china/tumbled glass
scattered straw
dried marigold
brushed corduroy
barn door
old paper

Okay - that's a lot. I love the rest of 'em too!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #55  

Default I like the wet application of distress

Please look at the two images and tell me if you can tell which was done with distress and which was done with cat's eyes? I have A TON of Cats Eyes and as far as blending goes, I don't see the difference. Am I doing something wrong? I tried make up sponge and the thing that Tim Holtz sells.

Now, I DO LIKE the wet method; you know where you ink on the craft sheet then spritz water? That is very cool:cool:
Attached Thumbnails
What colors Distress Ink do you use most?-distress.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

I have all the pads, working on the reinkers and stains now. I use them all. I especially love to blend custom background papers, used mustard seed, wild honey, rusty hinge, barn door, tea dye, vintage photo and walnut stain to color fall leaves I die cut and I loved the way they turned out. Used faded denim and barn dooe on canvas tags for a great red white and blue card, wish I'd had the stains for those, bur I just used the pads and blending tool. And then did you see today's tutorial? That's next on my list of things to do. Oh, by the way, my name is Dianne and I'm a Holtzaholic.

Free cat hair with every card!

Last edited by DianneB1030; 08-31-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Please look at the two images and tell me if you can tell which was done with distress and which was done with cat's eyes? I have A TON of Cats Eyes and as far as blending goes, I don't see the difference. Am I doing something wrong? I tried make up sponge and the thing that Tim Holtz sells.

Now, I DO LIKE the wet method; you know where you ink on the craft sheet then spritz water? That is very cool:cool:
I can see a difference - but it could be anything (lighting, angle, technique). If I had to guess I would say that the one on the left is colorbox - but only because I had a ton of trouble getting rid of my lines when I tried it. Otherwise, the color seems right for DI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #58  

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianneB1030View Post
I have all the pads, working on the reinkers and stains now. I use them all. I especially love to blend custom background papers, used mustard seed, wild honey, rusty hinge, barn door, tea dye, vintage photo and walnut stain to color fall leaves I die cut and I loved the way they turned out. Used faded denim and barn dooe on canvas tags for a great red white and blue card, wish I'd had the stains for those, bur I just used the pads and blending tool. And then did you see today's tutorial? That's next on my list of things to do. Oh, by the way, my name is Dianne and I'm a Holtzaholic.
What tutorial?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #59  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Check the home page. Watercolouring with distress inks. Well, that's about every second card in my gallery ever since I got more than two or three colours.

Of the two rabbits, I'd think the one on the left was ColorBox - the one on the right looks more evenly blended.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #60  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I also wanted to add that if you're working on glossy card, hands-down the distress inks dry better than the ColorBox. The wet technique (you'll find it under wrinkle-free distress in the resources section) is cool, isn't it ;-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #61  

The rabbit on the right is color box cats eyes, on the left is distress inks, both on non glossy paper. I guess I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm not going to buy any more distress inks. I have every color cats eye they made, and I like the way they blend, I can't tell enough of a difference to fill a bee's wing. Gosh, y'all I feel like I'm committing heresy! BIG GASP! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

The rabbit on the right is color box cats eyes, on the left is distress inks, both on non glossy paper. I guess I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm not going to buy any more distress inks. I have every color cats eye they made, and I like the way they blend, I can't tell enough of a difference to fill a bee's wing. Gosh, y'all I feel like I'm committing heresy! BIG GASP! lol
But - some of us (me) don't have any cats eyes. I'm not getting any copics because I have prismacolors and can't afford to buy it all. We do what we can and what works for us.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #63  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Going out on a limb before I read further...
I think the one on the left is the DI. BUT, because the sponge was very wet, the colours haven't blended as well as on the right.

Regardless of which ink you are using, if you didn't want the definition in the colours, the craft sheet technique would help to even out the application. Or, you could 'dry' your sponge on a scrap of paper so the colour wasn't as defined.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #64  

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianneB1030View Post
But - some of us (me) don't have any cats eyes. I'm not getting any copics because I have prismacolors and can't afford to buy it all. We do what we can and what works for us.
That's it exactly I already have cats eyes. I don't do copics either because I have a big investment in Prismacolor pencils and other coloring products.

It's hard, cause ya want it all! You know what I mean;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #65  
Crimping Master

Oooh, I am glad I did that before I looked at the answer! I'm not such a stamping dilettante as I think.

As for 'brands'. Use what works for you. After all, we need to support ALL the manufacturers to keep them all in business. See thread here for demonstration of this concept in practice.:lol:

I'm a copic and prisma free zone. I like water soluble pencils - Inktense and water colour. I feel I can control them better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #66  

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
Oooh, I am glad I did that before I looked at the answer! I'm not such a stamping dilettante as I think.

As for 'brands'. Use what works for you. After all, we need to support ALL the manufacturers to keep them all in business. See thread here for demonstration of this concept in practice.:lol:

I'm a copic and prisma free zone. I like water soluble pencils - Inktense and water colour. I feel I can control them better.
KoffeeKat, you just cracked me up!! Yeah, dear hubby, I'm NOT a spendthrift, I'm helping our economy!! rotfl!!

I have watercolor pencils too, and traditional water color tube paints ... let's see and sets of pastels and chalks and Tombo markers. See how well I've done to keep all those companies in business? hee hee

Last edited by sc magnolia; 08-31-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #67  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
I've bought the Cut-N-Dry stamp foam but I've never opened it up to use it yet. I did have plans to adhere a piece to a wooden block to use as my applicator. But I find the good old fashion sponge works well for me.

I'd be interested to know from those with experience, if the Cut-N-Dry actually does a superior job of blending over sponging. Or is it just another nifty tool.
I love the Cut-n-Dry foam! I use it all the time to apply and blend my distress inks, and it works far better than any makeup sponge or other foam that I've tried (except for the Tim Holtz foam that goes with his applicator, which I also use. But the TH foam is more expensive than buying a sheet of Cut-n-Dry Foam).

I cut off pieces about 1 inch by 2 inch and just use them by hand (that is, I don't attach them to a holder or applicator of any kind). You can rinse and reuse the pieces.

Here are photos of 3 artist trading cards I have made. I colored the backgrounds with distress inks using the Cut-n-Dry Foam. They are all similar in that the backgrounds started with a page cut from an old book.

What colors Distress Ink do you use most?-atc-sine-my-egg-watermarked-blog_edited.jpg

What colors Distress Ink do you use most?-atc-nicholas-ii-czar-watermarked-blog.jpg

What colors Distress Ink do you use most?-atc-paris-sunset-watermarked-blog.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #68  
Vintage Vixen

I have almost all of the distress inks and I use them for both stamping and distressing. They are my main inks, other than Stazon or Archival inks.

Since I tend to do mostly vintage-looking artwork, I use the "browns" the most: walnut stain, vintage photo, frayed burlap, crushed corduroy. Of the other colors, I especially like peeled paint, rusty hinge, wild honey, Victorian velvet, pumice stone, faded jeans.

I also use my distress inks when I want to emboss, but I find I get a better result if I first ink up my stamp with Versamark, followed by the distress ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 05:06 AM   #69  

Quote:

Originally Posted by missiowa81View Post
I have almost all of the distress inks and I use them for both stamping and distressing. They are my main inks, other than Stazon or Archival inks.

Since I tend to do mostly vintage-looking artwork, I use the "browns" the most: walnut stain, vintage photo, frayed burlap, crushed corduroy. Of the other colors, I especially like peeled paint, rusty hinge, wild honey, Victorian velvet, pumice stone, faded jeans.

I also use my distress inks when I want to emboss, but I find I get a better result if I first ink up my stamp with Versamark, followed by the distress ink.
I really like the vintage photo that I have I especially like the technique where you apply the ink to the non-stick pad then spray with water. I love the pools of water-stained effect you get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #70  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

The cardstock you're blending onto will make a difference to the effect you achieve (true of any ink but perhaps more so with Distress). Those sample photos with the rabbit stamp look to me as if there's a slight hammered/orange peel texture to the cardstock you were using?

I'm attaching a pic of a card I made yesterday - three Distress inks applied with a chunk of car wash sponge (full card details in the gallery here if anyone wants them). This is a really smooth (but not glossy) cardstock. It's an unbranded one I buy here in the UK but something like Simply Smooth would act the same way. I hope you can see the transition from Mustard Seed to Spiced Marmalade to Fired Brick is a nice smooth one, no choppiness. I tried the same combo of inks on Cryogen White and even the slight "tooth" of that made a huge difference in how smooth the colour looked.

Tim Holtz/Ranger say that the Distress inks are really designed to go over a darker colour (vanilla or kraft) and may be too vibrant on white. Personally I use them and like them on white but I wonder whether that's another difference you're seeing in your comparison with the Colorbox inks?
Attached Thumbnails
What colors Distress Ink do you use most?-sunsetsilhouettes.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #71  

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
The cardstock you're blending onto will make a difference to the effect you achieve (true of any ink but perhaps more so with Distress). Those sample photos with the rabbit stamp look to me as if there's a slight hammered/orange peel texture to the cardstock you were using?

I'm attaching a pic of a card I made yesterday - three Distress inks applied with a chunk of car wash sponge (full card details in the gallery here if anyone wants them). This is a really smooth (but not glossy) cardstock. It's an unbranded one I buy here in the UK but something like Simply Smooth would act the same way. I hope you can see the transition from Mustard Seed to Spiced Marmalade to Fired Brick is a nice smooth one, no choppiness. I tried the same combo of inks on Cryogen White and even the slight "tooth" of that made a huge difference in how smooth the colour looked.

Tim Holtz/Ranger say that the Distress inks are really designed to go over a darker colour (vanilla or kraft) and may be too vibrant on white. Personally I use them and like them on white but I wonder whether that's another difference you're seeing in your comparison with the Colorbox inks?
Geeze, I'm such a blondie! I didn't even think of paper texture. I did try it on glossy and that cs... it's kind of smooth but not the real smooth I usually stamp on, cause I'm out of it. When my resupply comes in the mail, I'll try it again with that.
Thanks Joanne!
See... I think I'm trying to talk myself OUT of buying any more new products! lol I went through boxes and stuff in my studio yesterday and found so many things I forgot I even had. :shock: (big sigh) And I work so hard at trying to stay organized and toss when I don't use stuff.

I love the blended look you achieved!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #72  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my TH distress inks. I have most of them, but I find that I use Tea Dye and Broken China the most. I really love them all! ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I love the Cut-n-Dry foam! I use it all the time to apply and blend my distress inks, and it works far better than any makeup sponge or other foam that I've tried (except for the Tim Holtz foam that goes with his applicator, which I also use. But the TH foam is more expensive than buying a sheet of Cut-n-Dry Foam).

I cut off pieces about 1 inch by 2 inch and just use them by hand (that is, I don't attach them to a holder or applicator of any kind). You can rinse and reuse the pieces.

Here are photos of 3 artist trading cards I have made. I colored the backgrounds with distress inks using the Cut-n-Dry Foam. They are all similar in that the backgrounds started with a page cut from an old book.

Attachment 228091

Attachment 228092

Attachment 228094
Absolutely LOVE these!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #74  

Quote:

Attachment 228091

Attachment 228092

Attachment 228094
These are gorgeous!!!! I love the way you used the ink to make a show effect around some of the images. I was really curious if Cut and Dry Foam was the same stuff I have, so I Googled it and guess what I found? A You Tube video!
Blending Technique with Cut'n'dry Foam - YouTube
It is different stuff than the fun foam I have. I like the way she put the ink on the non stick pad first then pulled some off before putting it on the project. That's how to avoid the lines! Why didn't I think of that???

Last edited by sc magnolia; 09-05-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, now I have to try it. I used the ditress ink pads but have never tried painting with the reinkers. Can anyone tell me where who has the best price for them? I do not have a HL near me and they aren't for sale in the chain craft stores near me. I'll have to order online I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #76  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have them all but the ones I use over and over and over are...

Brushed Corduroy
Worn Lipstick
Crushed Olive
Tumbled Glass

HTH!
julia

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes