Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaMareeView Post
I keep all of my paper in hanging file folders and I just throw the scraps back in with the whole pieces of paper. When I go to get a piece of paper I look through the scraps and see what I can use.

It works for me but I don't have a ton of paper or scraps yet so maybe I'll end up changing it when I get more!

I do the same thing, I keep all of my colours and in colours in one portable hanging file folder container. I always grab for my scraps first!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

I toss my scraps into a plastic box that I keep under my work table. When I need paper, I just grab the box and do a quick check to see if I have anything that will work. I am thrifty and don't like to waste, so this works for me---it is right at my fingertips! I will also throw images into it that may be smudged---my kids love to color these!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

My scraps are placed in quart size zip-lock bags with the name of the color written in Sharpie and these are filed in a shoe box alphabetically. I place a half sheet of the color in the back of the bag to give it more stability to stand up in the box and makes it easier to find the color that I'm looking for.

It's organized, now if I could just get out of my slump and make some cards.
:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

I love the zip lock and the page protector Ideas. I tried putting them in the file cabinet with the whole sheets and I never used them because they were out of sight for me. I have several binders and page protectors around. Of course, i am starting over with my scraps because I "lost it" last week and threw them all in the recycle bin. I like the no smaller than " _ "rule. that would help with the itty bittys. Ok, that is about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #45  
Crimping Master

i am a huge fan of the 3-drawer sterilite containers (8x11 and 12x12). I save my scraps (both DP and CS) according to color, and whenever I am making cards, remind myself to pull out my scraps drawer with the colors I need. Because I can pull out the drawer and set it near me, I actually do use them. When the drawer gets too full, I toss anything that is too wrinkled or small, and try to make a bunch of cards with those colors. I love it.

This website has an idea similar to how I organize mine, but I used a fun punch to show myself the color that is in that drawer:
http://kevinandamanda.com/photos/scraproom/scraps.jpg

I also have drawers for acetate scraps, chipboard scraps, vellum scraps, punched items, and random stickers (when just a few are left from a sheet and i have cut them out already).

Hope you find a way that words great for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #46  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm okay with organizing my scraps, the problem is that I have so many, I need a project that's going to force me to use A LOT of them. Any suggestions?

BTW, I organize mine by color in an expanding file with the little closure on the front. It makes it easier to take with me to crops, etc. I have a friend who makes cancer caps. I designed tags to go with them that use 1" circles on a tab-like top to coordinate with the yarn of the cap. Does that make sense? So, I keep all paper that's 1" square or larger. Which means I have a lot of scraps.
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #47  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by baxtifView Post
I keep all of my SU! paper in some really neat accordian style carriers, that happen to have 24 slots in them. I put the full size sheets of cardstock in one, then the scraps for that same color in the slot behind it. Then, I have a label on the outside of each of my carriers that tells me what color family it is, so I can just open it up and see what I have.

Now, I will admit that during the week while I am stamping, I put my scraps into a basket, then sort through the basket on the weekend to file them away. If they are smaller than 2 x 2, I usually toss them. Sometimes my DD will come "help" me because she knows she can get some cute colors of paper to glue onto construction paper for herself. This child has a keen eye already at the age of 4, and I think she is going to make an awesome stamper when she gets a little older...lol!
Okay, Kim from Texas, YOURS is the most brilliant idea of all... I love that you store the full sheets in one pocket, and the scraps directly behind that in the next pocket... HELLO!?!?! Why didn't I think of that?! I never use my scraps because they're never with my paper.... THANK YOU for a BRILLIANT idea that will actually get my scraps saved to USE!!! Good job!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #48  
khn
Rubber Obsessor

As I work, I toss the scraps into a basket on my table.
When I get the time or the inclination, I sort them into labeled gallon ziplock bags by color family, + bags for In Color and DSP. These are placed in a bin on the floor under my table, so when I need a color, I can quickly grab the bag I need to see if I have a scrap that will work. I always try to check the bag first, before I reach for a new sheet of CS.

So far, this is what has worked for me. I need to have them in sight and easily accessible, or I know I won't use them!

I save the scraps until they are too small to punch! Every so often, I will take out the smallest pieces and punch out a bunch of shapes, which also go into a little basket on my tabletop. (Must keep them within sight!) I can gather some of the punched pieces, add a small stamp & stampin' spot and maybe a few ribbon scraps, pop it all into a little cellophane bag for an easy, instant hostess gift or door prize.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

Default what do you do with your scraps?

I have all of my cardstock in multi page page protectors. I put even the smallest scrap right back in those paper hplders so when I need a piece, I always choose the smallest possible piece. Right now I'm trying to use up my pre-SU CS. Some of it is pretty poor!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #50  
khn
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by amykaeView Post
I'm okay with organizing my scraps, the problem is that I have so many, I need a project that's going to force me to use A LOT of them. Any suggestions?

BTW, I organize mine by color in an expanding file with the little closure on the front. It makes it easier to take with me to crops, etc. I have a friend who makes cancer caps. I designed tags to go with them that use 1" circles on a tab-like top to coordinate with the yarn of the cap. Does that make sense? So, I keep all paper that's 1" square or larger. Which means I have a lot of scraps.
Amy

I was thinking of inviting my customers over for some kind of scraps SAS or something. I would come up with some basic layouts, then they could use whatever stamps & scraps they wanted to create cards, or even scrapbook pages. I seem to be having the best response when I charge per project lately, rather than a set fee. I was thinking of charging per project, $1-1.50 per card...?? Not sure what to charge if I do a scrapbook page. I thought it would be kind-of like doing one of the challenges. I would let the experienced stampers fly ahead, and assist the less-experienced stampers as necessary.

Another idea is to do a punch class. I've been wanting to do a Moms & Kids class where we make a bunch of the punch animals. They could be used on cards, to create a framed scene, scrapbook page...any other ideas out there? I have some cute little magnet boards I got last fall at the Dollar Tree...we could attach magnets to the animals to use with the magnet boards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

I have five plastic shoe boxes on the credenza behind my stamping table. Each box holds the scraps in one color family (including the neutrals) so that I don't have to "file" scraps with each indivdiual color. When I start a project, I just grab the box and sort through for the color I need. Most of the scraps I save are at least 2x2 or large enough for even a small stamp or punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #52  
Compulsive Stamper

I have tons of paper and so... lots of scraps. So I keep mine by color families in the 6 and 7 drawer Iris storage files, with labels on the front of the colors. they store under my tables. Then when my friend and I go back and forth to each other's houses to stamp and make cards, we don't have to drag along a lot of paper, we just go to each other's stash and use scraps to make cards. It's kind of fun. You know, one person's trash is another person's treasure?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

My scraps that are nearly card front size I keep in a Longaberger bread basket. Other scraps I keep in the large, clear cello bags in a photo keeper. I keep them by color family in dividers and each color is in a separate clear bag. I don't keep up with this as regularly as I should, but at least every couple of weeks I go through the scraps that I have just laid on the desk and put them away. I always check this "file" for scraps.

Half sheets of card stock I keep in hanging folders with the full size paper. In the Longaberger bread basket I also keep some pre-folded card stock. Oh and, I have a decorated tin right by my Carl cutter where I put scraps as I cut card stock. I go through this tin and sort and file as well!
I love these questions!
Rhonda

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #54  
Mad Swapper

I bought some receipt bag at Target, the $1 bin, and have been using that. I have the small ones for small scraps and the bigger one for bigger scraps. I have white for solids and the purple for pattern papers. In there they are separated by colors.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

forgot to subscribe!!!

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #56  
Compulsive Stamper

I use to keep everything, but now I am more selective. I tend to use the scraps from my scrapbooking to make cards with and then throw everything else out after making the card....if that makes sense.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Hi, am a mad hoarder so I keep on my work desk, four small flattish trays (those black meat trays from the supermarket actually (well washed of course).
I sort scraps large enough to fit into them roughly into colour groups & as they are very visible, I use them constantly - the only time I need to cut into new cardstock is when I make a new card or when there isn't a large enough scrap or one in the right colour. Works beautifully.

I found that when I put the scraps away I forgot about them. Also file larger scraps - but again, what I don't see, I don't use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

I keep all of my scraps in a clear plastic hot wheels box I acquired from my son (after he got a bigger box since this one wasn't big enough for his collection anymore!). It has 4 compartments across the front (1 for each color family) and then 2 compartments along the back (1 for white & vanilla, the other for anything else). If I have long strips or am too lazy to put the larger scraps away (specially white and vanilla), they can lay on top of the compartments. I always check the box first when I need a small piece of cs.

Anything 1/4 sheet or larger I keep with my full sheets. I keep all of my cardstock in large cello bags that SU! cs used to come in (you can still buy the bags). It keeps it clean and each color is all together. Then I stack them on shelves made with the plastic-coated wire cubes. I can always find the color I'm looking for and I don't have bent or faded-from-the-sun cs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I punch my scraps with scalloped edge punches and save by size in plastic zip lock bags. When I need a background shape, I reach for that bag first before using full sheets. By punching the scraps into useful shapes I find I am using them a lot more often to make cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

I store my SU cardstock in manila file folders in the cabinet above my stamping desk. Each folder has a ziploc bag labeled with the color (in case I can't tell right away what it is) that I use to store the CS scraps. I will also punch or cut with my Nestabilities some of the odd or small sizes and store them in the ziploc bag.

If I have multiple sheets of DP, I try to store my DP scraps with the full sheets in the Cropper Hopper standing 12x12 holders. If I have used the last sheet of a certain design, I cut it into card size mats, find a half sheet of coordinating CS and slap them into an SU clamshell for future quick cards.

I like to make ATCs, so I will cut some CS and DP into the size to make these. All my ATC stuff is stored in a photo box.

If I end up with a piece that is close to the size for a 3x3 card, I set it aside in another clamshell that is labeled so I can find it quickly.

Last edited by greatgrammy; 02-13-2008 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

I store mine in an A-Z accordian folder (it has about 20 or so slots). I just put labels on the slots in alpha order to show which colors go into which slots. There are about 3 colors to each slot. It is small and handy and stays on the floor right next to my chair when I'm stamping. If I'm not stamping, I just put it on a shelf. Very compact.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to stamp I go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

I sort mine by colour and put them in large ziploc bags....That way I can see the different shades and sizes when I need them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #63  
Inking Addict

Hi,
Regarding my scraps, I put them in shoe boxes with the colour tag outside, so they are easy to find.
Jogry

jogry/bali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #64  
Insane Embellisher

I bought a 13 pocket accordian file type folder and labeled each section a basic color (just red, pink, blue, etc) then I put them in each section. So they are kind of organized- but all the card stock is mixed in with the scrapbook paper, Su mixed with non SU. It works really well especially when I am looking for small pieces to do punches. It seems to be a good example of how my whole craft room is- just kind of organized
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #65  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
I punch my scraps with scalloped edge punches and save by size in plastic zip lock bags. When I need a background shape, I reach for that bag first before using full sheets. By punching the scraps into useful shapes I find I am using them a lot more often to make cards.
What agreat idea. Ithink I will start doing that to. Thanks for a great tip!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #66  
Matboard Maniac

Default i like it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sky LadyBugView Post
I used to keep all my scraps in a plastic ice cream tub, but that never really was cohesive for me to use them.
I now have them in plastic bags by color, and in a nice big basket. I grab the basket sit it by me, and grab the color I need.
I took all the really small pieces of cardstock, and punch them into tags, circles, and the like and put them back into the bag.

I find this works out a great way for me.

With my pp, I put them according to size.

~Marie
thats a good idea, whats pp though?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

I keep all my scraps in gallon ziplocks filed alphabetically in a milk crate by color name. DP scraps go in zip bags by color family and I am working very hard at training myself to check the bags before I go for a whole sheet. I loved getting ready for valentine's day 'cause I used a ton of my scraps to cover mini candies and make treat boxes and bags and toppers....Also when I get a big pile of scraps I made card candy to save for later when I am rushed or to give as gifts....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

wonderful ideas, I go with something I saw once here, if the pc. is 1/2 sheet or bigger, it goes back in with my full sheets. Any other scraps have to be at lease 2 x 3 inches, and go into a baggie by color family, even patterned paper. I usually will use them, but not often enough! Ginny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #69  
Matboard Maniac

Im too new to throw anything away lol
sometimes i use "slivers"
for like funky borders....
I currently have a tote system...
but then again im really new.
I don't ahve much....
I think you might have to adapt depending on where you are at.
i got some alast year or a couple year agos
in color set.
that lady had some fantastic sorting stuff.
all in all
i have a drawer tote.
and zip lock baggies.
although im thinking a file folder might be a better idea....
I'm excited to be able to actually make color cordinated matching cards. instead of what has been my usual close enough to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #70  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiddielitterView Post
I keep all of my cardstock scraps (that aren't too tiny) in craft keepers by color (ROYGBIV) and store them vertically on a shelf within arm's reach of my scramp table. When I'm working on a project, I just pull the keeper with the color I want, then when I'm finished leftover scraps go right back in the envelope and back on the shelf. Since I switched to this method, I'm much more organized and efficient - not to mention tidier!

HTH!
Marcy
This is exactly what I do! No paper is thrown out unless it's just too small to do anything with (less than 2x2 maybe?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #71  
Kookie Creator

I keep them in a clear plastic drawer. But I usually don't have too many as my 4 and 6 year-olds like to cut paper, use punches and make sizzix shapes - so there go my scraps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #72  
Matboard Maniac

Question ? what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeticiaView Post
I keep them in a clear plastic drawer. But I usually don't have too many as my 4 and 6 year-olds like to cut paper, use punches and make sizzix shapes - so there go my scraps!
what's sizzix shapes?
**feels like i am suuposed to know but hasn't a clue**
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #73  
Compulsive Stamper

Storing scraps in bins by color family is the way to go! Quick, simple, organized, no size criteria. I can always find just the right size, in the color I need.

It gets tricky when you have scraps of designer paper that cross multiple color families. (Hmmm... I suppose one could have a bin dedicated to DPs. But what about full sheets with just a small piece cut out of them?? Do they deserve to stay in the drawer with the uncut sheets?? I think so...)

I like to use punches. If I don't use a piece that I have punched, I put it in another tiny container that holds them nicely. I usually forget to look there, however, and go for my regular scraps. No big deal.

I also use accordian standing files to store full 8.5x11 and half sheets ready to be made into cards. You can get them for about $10 each at Staples.

It's not fancy, but this system works well for me!

Another thing that I do, that I'm sure many would frown upon (hee hee)... I break my stamp sets apart and organize them into my own categories (i.e., all "thank you" or "happy birthday" sentiments , etc.). Otherwise, I forget I have them. This is a ton of fun!!! Seriously.
For we are God�s masterpiece...! (Eph 2:10)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #74  
Mad Swapper

Default stamp sets

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynie_catView Post
Storing scraps in bins by color family is the way to go! Quick, simple, organized, no size criteria. I can always find just the right size, in the color I need.

It gets tricky when you have scraps of designer paper that cross multiple color families. (Hmmm... I suppose one could have a bin dedicated to DPs. But what about full sheets with just a small piece cut out of them?? Do they deserve to stay in the drawer with the uncut sheets?? I think so...)

I like to use punches. If I don't use a piece that I have punched, I put it in another tiny container that holds them nicely. I usually forget to look there, however, and go for my regular scraps. No big deal.

I also use accordian standing files to store full 8.5x11 and half sheets ready to be made into cards. You can get them for about $10 each at Staples.

Another thing that I do, that I'm sure many would frown upon (hee hee)... I break my stamp sets apart and organize them into my own categories (i.e., all "thank you" or "happy birthday" sentiments , etc.). Otherwise, I forget I have them. This is a ton of fun!!! Seriously.

Re the stamp sets, naughty but VERY nice! I think that's a great idea but don't know if I can bring myself to do it, being an alpha regimented type!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #75  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up What do you do with your scraps?

I keep all of my cardstock in folders [with the name of the color on the tab] in paper/magazine holders on a long shelf near my work table...according to the SU catagories...earth elements, rich regals etc. In each folder I keep a 5x7 envelope marked with the name of the color, so I can easily return it to the correct folder. I also precut some cardstock sheets in half and put them in the envelopes, when I want to make a card, the CS is cut and all of the scraps are at my finger tips, and I return what I've cut but not used in the envelope...the negative or positive cuts from punches too! I store any designer paper scraps left with them as well... I like to stay organized so this really works out great for me!!!
a fellow stampaholic ... an146
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #76  
Matboard Maniac

Default tweak or your idea???

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynie_catView Post

I think I would rather have a paper categoloy list that would have occasions on it and what stamp set has it in it.
that way i dont break up teh sets, but have a handy list of which sets have thank you, sorry, miss you, birthday, love you ...etc.

and just have it posted up,or else keep it in a bibder/folder....
that way when i want ot make a tahnk you stamp i can just reference it there.....
I am glad you told me about this now so i can get started while my collection is smaller ans just continue it as it grows longer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, I always used to think I was so organized about everything, but I just throw all my scraps that are larger than 1x1 into one box. No sorting by color or size, nothing! However, I am very picky about using my scraps, so they don't pile up very much. Sometimes my color choices for a card will be based on what scraps I can use up. I use a lot of the smaller pieces for punches or stamping images on that I cut out.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #78  
Matboard Maniac

I too keep my scraps with my full sheets-that way I always look to see if partial is available before I cut into full sheet, and they are kept organized. I throw away very small scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow..some really great ideas. I too file my scraps by colour family in large ziploc bags. I make a lot of 'inchies' so my scraps are very small but when I start a new project I always reach for my scrap bags first. They are right in front of me at my desk filed in magazine holders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #80  
Mad Swapper

I haven't read the posts here (just the OP), so forgive me if I'm repeating something that's already been mentioned. All of my card stock is stored in hanging files, one file per color. At the front of each file is a sheet protector with my scraps. I also put it in a full sheet of card stock to help the sheet protector maintain it's shape. I have had my scraps stored this way for a couple years now and find myself using my scraps all the time. I do the same with my printed DP, except I put an entire 'collection' in each file. So, for example, all of the scraps for Berry Bliss DP are in a sheet protector (12 x 12 in this case) at the front of a hanging file with the full sheet behind it. When I need a particular color, or am testing out which color to use, I just pull out the sheet protector. That way I don't have to pull out a full sheet and risk having it get dinged up while I toss it around on my table...as I don't put things away till I'm done with that card or cards, usually. I like that the scraps are stored with the full sheets so I can use the scraps first without cutting in to a full sheet. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes