Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: block saving to Favorites until comment left
YES! What a great idea! 26 9.77%
NO! Totally dumb idea. 196 73.68%
maybe - the idea needs a little more tweaking... (please leave suggestions) 15 5.64%
unsure - wanna think about it... 29 10.90%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #41  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topaz_n29View Post
The way i look at it.. most of the people that are saying they don't have time to do both, because they're at work or waking baby(typing is not that loud).
But yet those same people are chatting in a lot of the threads(posts) etc.
To me that takes a lot more time.
I always leave sincere comments in all that i see in the gallery..i have dial-up..and am a very slow typer..but i like for the person to know what it is about their card that stood out to me.
Why bother going into the gallery at all then? Just my own opinion..no argument please.
loves ya
But "I love the colors you chose" is a sincere comment. If I say that- then I do, in fact, love the colors they chose. If I say "Wow- you're layout is really unique"- it's because the card caught my eye because I liked the layout. These aren't earth shattering literary specimans, and some people might say they are cookie cutter- but that's really what I think of the card.

Now I see why some people just don't comment at all. If you leave a comment, way too much is read into whether you meant it or not.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 08:54 AM   #42  
Montague Mingler

I just checked back on this thread and find the comments here fascinating! I think we're all saying the same thing... we love the comments, are flattered by the "fav"ing, and don't feel anyone should be FORCED to do either! I'd rather have a "cute card" than nothing at all and even "if you did THIS, this card would be even better" is, in my case, most appreciated! Just so long as it's not "why in heaven's name would you post this UGLY card?!" :-) (when I think of it, I sometimes wonder if that's what the 127 people who looked and didn't comment were thinking! LOL!)
So, I guess I'll keep sharing my cards and keep commenting on others! (By the way, Amy05 and I seem to have the same MO!)

My family coat of arms ties at the back... is that normal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #43  
Inking Addict

The fact that someone is favoriting the card should be enough of a comment.While on the subject, I refuse to comment or favorite A CARD THAT DOES NOT INLCUDE DIRECTIONS. If a person posts their work on a "sharing" site such as this, then they should follow the protocol of including directions.

I also will not go to a person's blog for "further directions" or recipes.
If I like the person's work, I will go to the blog--but i own't be forced to go there.

Not trying to be critical or lecture,
Just my 2cents worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #44  
Forum Fanatic

raedeen- what kind of directions are you wanting? I usually just post what cardstocks and ink I used. Am I suppose to be posting something else too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #45  
Inking Addict

I am referring to the cards with no directions at all.
Not even colours of ink or paper.
Trying to figure out a certain colour ocmbo after it has been photographed, scanned, uploaded, and then viewed on a computer screen can be difficult.

I didn't mean to include cutting sizes, dimensions, etc.
More and more people are uploading with a message to visit their blogs for card info. This is a sharing site.

I will continue to fav all the time, even if I can't leave a comment.
I hope that being put in to someone's favorite category is a huge comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #46  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ececsyView Post
to me.. being favorited is better than a comment.. it means.. it's a good enough card that someone wants to look at it again!

Yes, yes!!! I love being favorited and consider it a huge compliment!!!! (thanks to anyone who has favorited my stuff)

I try to do both but often if the card already has say 40/50 comments, I would rather spend my limited time commenting on cards that very few people have noticed and need a little lovin.

It would feel kinda awkward to know I got a compliment just because someone had to. I'd rather get sincere messages because they wanted to make one or took the extra time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

I get such a charge out of seeing one of MY dumpy little cards was added to someones favorites file. I get even more of a charge when someone leaves a comment saying they would like to case it. I would drop dead if I saw a card that WAS cased after one of mine...LOL But I am personally seeking input on my cards, I haven't been doing them that long and some of the ones I upload I KNOW aren't all that great. But I load them to see if I get a comment saying 'Oh, would have been even cuter if you'd have done ______' I have to say...I haven't gotten a comment like that. Sometimes I think it might help. Anyway...getting off track here, I usually leave comments because if I like a card I want the creator to know I like it. But to each their own, if someone doesn't want to comment on my cards, that's ok.

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

Sometimes it takes too long for the comment to post and get back to where I was..... I have to try several times and I don't always have the time if I'm sneaking in a quick look at work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #49  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE to be favorited--it's a huge, mondo compliment to me. If someone goes another step and comments, well, I am over the moon. I usually comment if I favorite a card, but not if there are pages of comments already or if I'm in a hurry. I'd much rather know that someone thought my card worthy by "favoriting" it than to get nothing at all. People are busy, and I understand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

The way i look at it.. most of the people that are saying they don't have time to do both, because they're at work or waking baby(typing is not that loud).
But yet those same people are chatting in a lot of the threads(posts) etc.
To me that takes a lot more time.
I'm nak right now and have one hand. As a NAKer, I'll say I am very guilty of reading posts & cruising/favoriting the gallery with my free arm. My lack of comments is more due to the one-armedness ;) rather than the noise. I quoted you because I'm sure this thought was shared by others, too My dh actually bought me a laptop so that I could do this while nursing...I'll blame him as my enabler, I guess! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

I very rarely leave comments. (i've been trying to get better) No particular reason. Mostly because I would repeating what someone else said. If everyone leaves the same comments
"cute card, great layout" then the resources of this site are going to get so bogged down.
To be honest I would be extremely upset if I had to leave a comment before being allowed to favorite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Default fave=comment

To me, when someone favorites my card, I know they REALLY LIKE IT. I don't need a comment. I don't need to know why they liked it. I'm just happy they liked it. And if you are looking at a lot of cards in the gallery, commenting takes up a lot of time. 10 seconds (if you are not on dial up) for 100 or 200 cards, if you do this many (I know some people who look at the current day's gallery uploads). It is time consuming. Kudos to them, but we all can't do comments. I can barely make time to get my cards uploaded.

I use the gallery, simply to store my cards and create a portfolio of sorts for myself. I don't expect any comments. Am pleased when I get them, but I don't expect them.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Skittl and sweatpea..please i meant no offence to either of you or anyone else..that is not my style..
Skittl: what i meant was that there is a thread going (please don't hate me) lol..that says comment on the name below or above..sorry ..but i was in it once..i don't mean, write a book in your comments.but mostly i saw..cute..nice..pretty.. etc.
like they couldn't get back to "the game"..commenting on the colors or layouts are what i "do" call nice comments..as i have been trying to get past my 1 layer cards..lol..i have been learning by others in the gallery.
Sweatpea:. i realize as a nursing mother..that sumtimes it is nice to be able to "get your fix" here..lol..by cruising.
I really meant no put down to any one..but i was just giving my opinion on this subject..and i apologize if it came across as a put down..thanks for listening.
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #54  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanonView Post
WOw.....way to smack down to OP's opinion. NOT cool.
Just so you are aware, the OP used that phrase in her poll.

This, again, brings up such tough feelings. This was brought up a few months ago and the same things were said, there are many people that feel being favorited is not enough, and there are people that think it is wonderful.

I love being favorited, I am fine with just that and no comments. I do try to make a comment for every one I favorite, however, it has also been stated (not in this thread), that some people want detailed reasons why someone liked their card. That I do not have time for. Generally I leave a beautiful card, or, you did a wonderful job, etc. and some artists do not like that. I have no idea who does or doesn't, but when you read people saying they don't have time to comment, that could be what they mean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #55  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Sweatpea:. i realize as a nursing mother..that sumtimes it is nice to be able to "get your fix" here..lol..by cruising.
I really meant no put down to any one..but i was just giving my opinion on this subject..and i apologize if it came across as a put down..thanks for listening.
loves ya
Oh good heavens! That's why I said I quoted you just for anyone who wondered what I was referring to...I said it wasn't directed at you personally & that it was more for general reference for anyone else who also agrees that the keyboard isn't loud enough to wake a baby.

Clearing up confusion and adding to the confusion somehow with responding is another reason that I am a very infrequent poster...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonbutterflyView Post
I get such a charge out of seeing one of MY dumpy little cards was added to someones favorites file. I get even more of a charge when someone leaves a comment saying they would like to case it. I would drop dead if I saw a card that WAS cased after one of mine...LOL But I am personally seeking input on my cards, I haven't been doing them that long and some of the ones I upload I KNOW aren't all that great. But I load them to see if I get a comment saying 'Oh, would have been even cuter if you'd have done ______' I have to say...I haven't gotten a comment like that. Sometimes I think it might help. Anyway...getting off track here, I usually leave comments because if I like a card I want the creator to know I like it. But to each their own, if someone doesn't want to comment on my cards, that's ok.

i am ok about constructive criticism but not all are... i don't know if i could leave a comment that 'it might be cuter if you...'

i am like you that in a constructive way i would appreciate the nudge.

i don't think this is 'off track' we are talking about comments here!

when i check the comments on my cards... my daughter asks 'how many times was if favorited?' i agree that it seems even better than a comment. feel free to leave me some lovin' tho! comment away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #57  
Gabfest Goddess

I think it's just that a lot of people have very little time to spend and want to look and favorite, and not take the time to comment. I don't have a gallery, but I do leave comments, but not always. And I will admit that I am very guilty of NOT commenting on a card that has a lot of comments. If the card is already on its second page of comments, I will save my time for a card that doesn't. I know that might not be "cool" but I'd rather spread it out a little more.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank-you Sweetpea..i just didn't want any hurt feelings..your very kind..
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #59  
immzw4

I used to not comment when I favorited, but then I found out how many people were bothered by it. Now I ALWAYS comment before favoriting, and usually tell the person in the comment that I'm adding to my faves. I had a card that was favorited before commented on, and let me tell you, I was floored, absolutely stunned. I was so happy, it never occurred to me that no comment was left. But, with that said, I want to be a good SCS citizen and want people whose cards I want to look at a lot to know it.

I'm okay with people who don't do it, though. I understand time constraints or just not knowing exactly what to say. I guess it just didn't occur to me to worry about why my cards got 300 views and 5 comments. I know that I don't look at every card in the day's gallery up close, only the ones that stand out to me. I figured just being opened up was a compliment.

I don't like when people don't leave basic information about their cards. I don't want to have to guess the colors or the stamp company. I'm not good at it. I wouldn't penalize them for not including it by refusing to comment on a gorgeous card.

Wow, wrote a book here. Sorry about that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't care either way about being favorited or commented on BUT I do get a little ticked off if people ask for explanations of how to do something and then don't comment. Most people are very courteous but occasionally you don't even get a thanks for directions you have sent and that's just plain rude!

I find cards with the most comments are usually in challenges of some kind where so many people are doing and viewing and it's not to do with the fact they are necessarily better than regular uploaded cards. That's one of the reasons I don't bother to upload too much anymore.

Word for November 2017: Choices
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #61  
Crimping Master

Personally, I would rather have more favorites than comments, I find it more flattering that someone might CASE my work someday! Just my opinion....
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #62  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi Ladies!

I spotted this thread and have been thinking on what I could add to it for a while now.

As a Gallery Moderator, I want you to know that we appreciate everyone who takes the time to share their awesome creations here in the Splitcoast gallery! I think it's safe to say that it's a great inspirational resource for those times we need a little boost to our creative juices!

One thing I love about Splitcoast (and there are many) is that this site is not set up to restrictions for those who take the time to share, support or browse the resources that are provided to us.

While we are all entitled to our own opinions on the matter of leaving comments in the gallery and favoriting uploads, restricting those privliges to require a step, such as leaving comments before favoriting, would hinder the spirit of community thru sharing. I do think it is wonderful to try and think of new ways to make everyone feel appreciated, however, we also need to keep in mind that not everyone is able to spend as much time on here as some of us do (Goodness knows I'm here quite a bit! ;) ) We also wouldn't want anyone to feel that what they offer in terms of compliments in the gallery is considered unacceptable or just not enough. Not everyone is comfortable with leaving comments -- even in this day and age of technology, some of us can still be shy!

I hope that as an individual, we can learn to appreciate even the smallest forms of compliments regardless if it's a simple one worded phrase -- such as "cute" -- or a quick click of the mouse to be added to somebody's favorites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

comments aren't everything.. if you're uploading just to get more comments, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. having people favourite your card should be taken as a complement and i don't think we should be made to leave a comment if we want to save a card for later perusal. after all, that's what this site is for: IDEAS.. NOT comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanonView Post
WOw.....way to smack down to OP's opinion. NOT cool.
Shanon- please go back and reread my post- specifically the 3 words before the part you highlighted!!!! Then you can say you're sorry for the misunderstanding!- i totally DIDN'T say i thought it was a dumb idea!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 02:21 AM   #65  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpea_119View Post
I'm nak right now and have one hand. As a NAKer, I'll say I am very guilty of reading posts & cruising/favoriting the gallery with my free arm. My lack of comments is more due to the one-armedness ;) rather than the noise. I quoted you because I'm sure this thought was shared by others, too My dh actually bought me a laptop so that I could do this while nursing...I'll blame him as my enabler, I guess! :mrgreen:
You and me both, sister!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 06:22 AM   #66  
Gabfest Goddess

I just saw this thread, too. For me, I would rather be favorited than commented on. Some of the cards in my gallery have a lot of comments but are not favorited once. It makes me feel good to know that people are using my cards for inspiration later on my hitting the favorite button. Comments are nice, too, but not required.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 07:08 AM   #67  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 525 Likes on 237 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ececsyView Post
to me.. being favorited is better than a comment.. it means.. it's a good enough card that someone wants to look at it again!

Same here!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #68  
Matboard Maniac

I comment on a card I like and I put in favs sometimes. The only ones I don't comment on is the ones from a few years ago.

But I know how it feels not to get a comment. I uploaded 4 cards and only one got commented on. I am a newbie at uploading pics of cards and it does hurt a bit if someone doesn't comment on a card you thought was nice or on a card a kid did too.

Have a nice day;
Tammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #69  
down and digi

I said the same thing that the OP suggested in the OP a few days ago to the ladies in my chat thread (didn't know there was a thread about it. LOL).

Most of the people in my chat thread thought comments should be left if we favorite. I do it. I don't know about `required', but I do think people should do it.

I wonder if the # of comments has dropped now that favorites are shown because people know that it will show as a favorite. I don't know, but I do get confused when I have 35 favorites, and 2 comments:confused: I also am bothered when people PM me to get a source to buy something or exactly how to do a particilar technique, and yet they don't leave a comment.

Maybe the reason some people want a comment is that they want to see `who' likes it - the favorites doesn't show that, and I know people always get a kick out of comments from particilar SCSers.

Personally, I like validation. Maybe that makes me less of a `sharer', or what ever you want to call it, but I love the validation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #70  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can someone tell me please how to favorite a card??? I've only been here for a week or so, and have printed off copies of cards I love - and have left comments - but how do you save it?

As to whether I think you should have to leave a comment if you favorite a card - no - I don't think so at all. If someone has favorited a card -well, I would take that as a pretty good indication that someone loved the card!

Just my thoughts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't want to be forced to do anything really. Sometimes I just don't know what to say! There are many cards that have several posts complimenting a feature that I love as well. I feel redundant giving a compliment that has been payed over and over again. With being new on this site I feel shy as it is and hesitate when posting. Sometimes I have post fright..."will I sound like a complete geek? Will they be able to tell that I'm a stamp newbie if I write that?" =) I do however, feel it's important to give each other encouragement and appreciation for our talents but I personally need to feel comfortable and in the mood to do so. Just my two cents! =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #72  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
Can someone tell me please how to favorite a card??? I've only been here for a week or so, and have printed off copies of cards I love - and have left comments - but how do you save it?

As to whether I think you should have to leave a comment if you favorite a card - no - I don't think so at all. If someone has favorited a card -well, I would take that as a pretty good indication that someone loved the card!

Just my thoughts.
Debzi333- In case no one has PM'd you (private message'd) - to favorite a card, click on Add To Favorites at the bottom of the "ingredients" info- on the left side... above the 1st comment. It will save that card to a folder under your gallery (even if you don't have a gallery yet).
Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes