Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2008, 05:52 AM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

The best organizational thing I've done is seperate the sentiments and group them together. I was shocked at how many birthday stamps I had to choose from. I keep a binder with the original stamp sets shown together, but I doubt I'll ever sell any of mine so there'd be no need to put them back together.

I also bought some of the larger SU storage boxes (clamshells) and combined some sets. If they have an accessory set, I combine them for example. I've combined other sets, too, but I don't want anyone to hyperventilate!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am all for thinking 'outside the box'. My sets have never stayed together . . . all hearts are together, all phrases together, flowers, animals, bugs, backgrounds, frames, bows/garlands, borders etc. all have their own spot. I have an art studio (more than just paper crafts happen there). Two lingerie chests (tall, skinny chest of drawers) hold all of my stamps. The catagories are in alpha order (animals, borders, bows, bugs, cats/kittens etc.) within the drawers. I use 'store bought' dividers and various boxes/box lids/SU! clamshells to keep the drawers/categories organized. The clear stamps in each catagory are on cd cases.

Before the studio, I bought new pizza boxes from the local pizza place ($1 for 10 small) and sorted stamps into those boxes (just the right depth for wood mounted rubber stamps). I labeled the front edge of the box then, kept the stacks of boxes on shelves in a big closet. That was way before the clear stamps but I did have several unmounted stamps. I put them in zip bags inside the box.

Side note: the 'official' master bedroom in our home is HUGE and I have never felt like it had a cozy/comfy feel to it. I have thought of swapping the studio and the master bedroom several times - just haven't talked it over with hubby. Last night - he suggested it! YEAH! I will have almost twice the space that I now have . . . I will still keep my stamps by category rather than sets.

I'm a brand new demo (my first order just arrived!) - I am just add the following to my routine: I'll stamp the set on to a piece of paper and label it (SU001, SU002, SU003 etc.) and I will staple the SU label to that page - the pages then go into a binder. Each stamp of the set will get numbered onto one edge of the wood with a thin sharpie (or brother labels). I have room on a top shelf to save the original SU! clamshell boxes. That way, I will be able to pull the stamps from a set together quickly for a workshop, I can loan them to my downline, or I can re-box them for buy/sell/trade. Once a set is retired, I will mark it on the page and mark it on each stamp as well.

You'll be surprised at combinations that you discover that you wouldn't have thought of before! SU! is a leader in the stamping industry and many companies follow SU! trends . . . I have found numerous 'go-to-gethers' that combine SU! and one or two items from other companies. I don't know if I would have put it together if I kept my stamps in sets.

I suppose that if you have only SU! stamps - keeping sets together can work. But, if you have other stamps - you have to organize them somehow . . . why have 2 organization systems? As far as doing inventory spreadsheets etc. - I guess I am more visually oriented when creating. Don't get me wrong - I am the spreadsheet QUEEN at work. (In fact, one of the reasons that I love spreadsheets is because I can sort the information into various CATEGORIES!)

Anyway, that's what works for me. As far as YOU making the change - it will take a chunk of time . . . but, I betcha get dozens of inspirations as you work and re-organize because you will be seeing your goodies in a totally different way! It might be worth taking a vacation/personal day or getting a sitter . . . whatever your distractions might be.

Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #43  
Mad Swapper

For those of you that are durrent demonstrators - have you thought you might sell more if you mixed your sets? Then the customers would see how well the sets work together and could purchase more. Just a thought. Because I cannot bear the thought of anyone hyperventilating or going into conulsions on my count. HE he he. I mix companies and sets, yep there I said it. I do I do I do. I go with what looks the purtiest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

I seperated mine and I'm so glad I did! It just makes more sence to have them in divided categories. Now I don't have to rummage through all of my sets trying to find a certain stamp! There were a lot of sets that did stay together, because they were all in the same category. I don't regret it at all. We're talking about rubber here, for heaven's sake! Go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not separate stamps from sets. I am almost done with my stamp indexing. I store my stamps in CD cases now that I got them off the wood. I have a lot of word stamps that are not in sets so I just filled CD cases with misc words. I stamp what I have in a notebook with the CD case number. I can look in the notebook and find a stamp, go to the correct CD case and pull it. I have them on shelves alphabetically by stamp names. The misc word stamps I have on a separate shelf. I also have a spread sheet where I have the name of the set, stamps, words, how many stamps. I can also do a search in the spread sheet to look for things.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

I keep my stamps sorted by company, except for the words & I have a couple of drawers of misc. stamps (company's no longer in existence, or I don't have enough of them to fill a whole drawer on their own so they are mixed with others).

I have 8, 12" high plastic office drawer sets, with 2 large drawers & 1 small or 1 large drawer & 3 small drawers or 5 small drawers. 4 sets for the drawers are devoted purely to stamps (the ones with 5 small drawers in them), 1 of the 2 large drawers & 1 small drawer set has my Staz-on ink pads, Versamark ink pad, Distress Ink pad, Kaleidocolor Ink pads, all my SU refills, all my Colorbox Chalk refills & my Stickles in the bigger drawers. In the little drawer I keep my smaller tools & pens, ie: craft knife, teflon coated scisors, normal scisors, tiny fine tipped scisors, bone scorer, 6" rulers, paper shapers, quilling tool, Krylon pens, mechanical pencils, erasers, other metallic pens, & my CM multi-purpose tool. In the other drawer like that (the one above) I have my wheels, & 4 sided block stamps (in 1 drawer), in the 2nd larger drawer, I have my Stamp-a-ma-jig, Silent Setter, cotton balls, sponges, stapler & staples, chalks(or pastels as you guys in the US call them). In the small drawer I have my horse hair mat (for shaping & pushing holes into things, they don't go through to the table when I use this mat), a small cutting mat (6" x 8"), metallic rub-on's, glitters, wire, & assorted metallic threads. In the drawer that has 1 larger drawer & 3 small ones, I store, my double sided tapes, glue sticks, daubers, q-tips, hammer, & eyelet setting pieces (sometimes brute force is required for these & the silent setter doesn't quite do it), small hospital medicine cups (these are great for holding a small amount of water for when using Twinkling H2O's, or blending your refills with water to hand dye your paper or ribbons to the colours you want, etc), chalk blender, crystal effects, painters tape, scotch magic tape, foam mounting tape are all in the larger drawer. In one of the smaller drawers are all my Twinkling H20's & Watercolour Wonder Crayons, a water spritzer & paint brusher, in another drawer are all my quilling papers, scratch paper & Nopa Paper. In the last drawer are all my Perfect Pearls, EP's & some specialized paints. My ribbon & brads are in decorated shoe boxes & my papers/CS (colour coded) are in 3 expanding files. My SU inks & Colorbox Chalk inks are in custom made wooden storage boxes, again in colour order. Yes, I too am a bit '****' with my organizing, but I know where everything is & what I have & how much of it I have & when I need to replace it.

I have found that I work best & get even more inspiration when I look through all my drawers to find matching stamps/embellishments to go with what I'm making. It also, gets me going on other ideas that I hadn't thought of, or that I just had sitting there waiting for the last 'something' that was needed to 'finish' the card off to my exacting standard (just ask my DD).

Hope that some of this helps, I know it was long. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #47  
Glitter Guru

Deep breaths ladies, deep breaths!!! No hyperventilating...I'm reaching for my brown paper bags as I type...I've got enough for everyone :mrgreen:

I would have never guessed there would be such strong feelings about the way our rubbah is organized. We get quite attached, don't we? LOL

I think I'm leaning more and more towards separating my sets. Particularly since I've barely touched any of my SU sets in the last year. I can see them all stacked in their clam shells on my shelf, but it's like they somehow don't exist in that stamping inventory in my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

I am too "Monkish" to do that. lol
(or as Monk would say lol out loud)

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have done this with my SU stamps from day one and never regretted it for a second. I find a LOT more of my SU stamps get to see ink by organizing them this way.

It just makes more sense for me... if I want to use a flower stamp on my project, how many different sets do I have to have memorized to know which set has the perfect flower image that I want to use? :P No way.

I use an index binder to catalog all of my sets should I ever want to regroup one of them for selling or whatnot. So far, that binder has been collecting dust. Theme organization vs. set organization must be working for me. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

I did it and love it also. I realized I was never going to sell any of the stamps and if I did I could always look online to see what the original set looked like and pull them out, but I really feel I will and could never sell them - between me and my DD we use them and love them! Sorting them out was the best thing I ever did!

I had a ton of sets that had one or two "word" stamps that were never getting used. The first thing I did was go through all the sets and pull all of those.

All the ones that had things appropriate for the "inside" of a card I put together.

Everything else got sorted out according to theme, i.e. all the Happy Birthday together, Congrats, thank you, etc. I found out I had quite a few versions of To and From stamps and put those together so I could use them for tags.

I sorted out sets that had either simlar theme (again birthday, baby, etc) and then put ones together that were simlar by artist, i.e. some flowers that were the same or could be used together, the watercolor and the tulips, etc.
A bunch of antique looking ones got put together. I had a number of kid type stamps like summertime and other kids. Then the sketches stamps got put together.

I had a lot of sets that had little animals, I put them together and discovered I had a lot of birds and various types of butterflies.

Lastly I broke up all those sets that had one stamp from every holiday and put them in their appropriate category.

I can't tell you how freeing it is. When DD and I want heart stamps for valentines, we have only 2 boxes to pull down full of all the heart stamps and they get used much more than they used to. Whenever we make a card we have about 4 or 5 boxes to look through greetings and sayings to choose and they get used much more often also.

If I need to do something and I feel like I need simlar stamps to use with it for weight, I usually have them right there because I grouped silar lines together. I don't feel like I did any disservice by splitting them up by far.

Love it, love it, love it.

Of course I "only" had about 65 or so sets at last count-- small peanuts by comparison to others - so an undertaking of more sets might be harder to do, but I have no regrets other than wish I had done it sooner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #51  
Glitter Queen

Default Why not just seperate the stamped images?

You don't have to separate the Stamps themselves, just stamp out the images and keep THEM separated by category.
That way all the stamps will still stay intact in sets AND you can still see at a glance - all you flower stamps, all the Happy Birthday sentiments, all the animals, all....u get it?!!

Anu
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

My plan is to catalog my stamps in a 3x5 notecard holder by catagory so that when I do need say a graduation stamp I can flip through and see what I have and what set its in.

I couldn't imagine seperating my sets. I'm a demo too so if/when I demo a set it has to be together.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #53  
Crimping Master

well I like to keep them all in the orginal containers and all as a set.......guess I'm just stuck in a rut like that......LOLOL

lori
Michigan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by asinhaView Post
You don't have to separate the Stamps themselves, just stamp out the images and keep THEM separated by category.
That way all the stamps will still stay intact in sets AND you can still see at a glance - all you flower stamps, all the Happy Birthday sentiments, all the animals, all....u get it?!!

Anu
You are a genius!! much quicker looking through papers than the actual stamps anyway! I am inpressed and a bit gutted that it didn't occur to me..!!! I like that idea and actually when stamping out the images i bet 'new relationships' become apparent even then!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #55  
Glitter Queen

Wow, it's wonderful to read that I'm not the ONLY CRAZY stamper to do the UNTHINKABLE and separate out sets! I've done this from the START! It just made sense to me, especially since I have stamps that are non-SU and even retired SU. If you are a VERY SERIOUS DEMO and NEVER use any but current SU stamps and don't plan to change, then it would be crazy to split 'em up. More sense to just make a binder with images by category & under each category put a reference of where to find it according to your organization method. That way you can flip through to whatever category (stamp it in as many categories as apply) and choose your images, then find them in their appropriate set boxes, but put them back for easy use in workshops, events, selling, etc.

But, MOST of us are not in that situation. Most of us have current and retired SU stamps as well as other wood and even um and acrylic images from various places. Like many others, I have a binder with categories--some images are stamped more than once if appropriate, that is fun to look through when looking for the perfect stamp image, or if I want, I can just pull the stamps of the same category and look thru them (yes, I enjoy just looking at them--how pathetic am I? lol But they're so pretty!)

One reason why it made sense to me to split up stamps is that there are a lot of sets where I only want one or part of the set or there's one or 2 I don't really care for . . . . . OR, I started realizing that certain ones NEVER got used because, well, I have my favorites of that type, say, a heart, or whatever. (How many of you have sets that only part of the set is inked up or only ONE stamp is!? lol Then you sell it since it hasn't gotten loved/used as it should? ) Once you have a good stamp collection, you'd be AMAZED how many hearts you have, how many stars, balloons, thank you's, happy birthday's, etc. Even with my stamps separated, I could tell that certain ones I would NEVER use, because I always choose one of the other 2 or 4 or even 8 of that same type of image or sentiment, cuz I love them the most or they seem to always work with the other stamps (maybe more my "style"?). So I figured, what's the point it having it take up space? Soooooo, that goes into the "For Sale" box (which means it would give me $$$ to get something I DO love and would use more!).

I'm not one to TIRE of certain images because I . . . . 1)don't use them exclusively with just their corresponding set(s)--it's easy to see what else would work well with them, 2)I only keep images I LOVE, and 3)I'm hopelessly addicted & even love just the collecting/organizing part of this hobby (or should I say "life"? It's the ONLY REASON I've survived 5 little ones and the last 12 years of DH's schooling/training/being gone most of the time--yes, we're STILL doing that, can't wait to be done and stop moving around.) So, yes, I DO separate my sets AND I even sell off the ones I don't need/love. (I hope I haven't caused anyone to hyperventilate or faint!) I don't intend to sell the set as a set anyway--I want to keep what I love and single stamps sell just fine--people are used to buying single stamps anyway. Hold a regular or virtual/online garage sale or post/auction them online. Then use the $$ to buy more of what you LOVE.

If you find you tire of sets and "need" something new then you may very much benefit from separating your sets. Or if you are just the personality that always wants to play with something new, then you probably should just enjoy the sets you have, rotating them out by selling them to get new ones . . . . sounds like you'd be perfect for being a SERIOUS DEMONSTRATOR--just sell off the retired sets and enjoy new sets during their "reign" as being current SU and then move on to something new when it retires! lol I just can't see selling off sets JUST BECAUSE they retired. I buy stamps because I love the images & what I can do with them and that's exactly why it seems ludicrous to me to ONLY keep them organized in the set they came with. And since I never plan to sell them as a set only, I don't have a problem with needing to put them back together as a set and if I needed the set together to take to a SU even as a demo, I think it would be easy, because you have the current catalog to show all the images in that set . . . . and you can easily see what category you would group it with.

I don't necessarily split up every entire set--2 step sets often stay together, other than words, but only if they are the same category. An all occasion 2-step set would get split up with their corresponding category.

It's so fun when I want to make a Birthday card to just go to Birthday stamps--all the balloons, b-day hats, cake, confetti, words that apply are right there together. And it's easy to remember that balloons are in BIRTHDAY if I want to add a balloon to a critter or kid stamp as an accessory to make a scene. If I'm making a birthday card for someone with a specific hobby/interest like OUTDOORS/Hunting or GOLFING or whatever, I use those types of stamps then look in the Birthday stamps for a birthday greeting stamp that works best with my card. It makes it sooo fun to stamp and helps me so much when "shopping" for stamps--easier to see if what I'm considering would be something I'd use or if I have enough of the same type that I LOVE that it really wouldn't get used/loved enough to be worth spending $$ on (this is another way the binder comes in handy!--I keep thinking that maybe I can convince my oldest DD to make a duplicate SMALLER binder that would be easy to take on shopping trips . . . . hmmmm, what incentive can I give her?)

As for organizing, you can buy empty stamp boxes, Also, there is extra room in most sets, so that helps give room for those singles from other places. Plus, if you organize your BIG Background stamps OUT OF THEIR BOXES (why does ONE stamp need to be in it's own box, anyway! lol) I just keep all my BG stamps together and that sure gave me an awful lot of extra empty boxes to help store stamps in. selling off the singles I didn't want to keep also helped with making room for the non SU images. I'm still working on getting all my um and acrylic on wood blocks--but that's just cuz I'm weird and LOVE them on wood, but I still have them with their categories til I can get them on wood like I want them.

I REALLY don't think you'd regret separating out your sets (unless you are a serious demo as mentioned above, but then you wouldn't want anything but current sets). It's also very fun if you have someone over--they can easily find what they want to "play" with and have a great time choosing what images to put together. Even my kids love putting stamps back with the right categories and then finding what they want to go with what they are creating. It makes the creative part that much more fun. And, if you're weird like me, then you'll even enjoy the BIG job of converting your VERY LARGE collection to categories.

But you'll have to find a method of organizing that works best for you and your needs/preferences/quirky personality, etc. It's SOOOOO worth it to find the system that works best for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

This is a COMPROMISE of keeping together and separating.

First, I keep a binder of all stamp sets by category. I scan all the label sheets before I assemble the stamp. Then, if there are stamps that may pertain to multiple categories (all season, all occasion, etc.), I can just print a second page and put it with a second or third category.

If I have just verses or one or two images that would go in a separate category, I hand stamp just those again on the pages in that category. Keeping a separate category for just sentiments is a super idea, but you will usually always know what set it comes from. If you forget, just browse through the binder until you find the section that had the entire set, then you will know from which set it came and can retrieve it.

This way, you will always know what stamps you have in a given category when you want to make a card (and you don't have to drag out all of your stamps or, even be in your stamping place), when designing a card. I often bring my stamp binder to work to browse through at lunch. Then I will write down which sets I need to get out when I am ready to stamp later.

Finding them is EASIER when they remain with the original set. But, some sets mix well together. So, I have purchased larger scrapbook paper cases or the largest Stampin' Up! plastic boxes and grouped similar SETS together. For example, I often use Carte Postale and the Finest Flourishes set together, so I just got a large box and store them together, but I keep both labels on the one box so I know what's in there. If I ever want to sell them, they are still together. Another example is Pocket Silhouettes. I found that goes well with Good Things Grow, so I recently consolidated and put them both into one container.

If you store multiple sets together, just be sure to put the name labels of all the stamp sets enclosed on the outside so you'll know what's what, but keeping the binder really helps.

It may take a lot of work to catalog them all, but you can always take digital photos of the stamp sets instead of stamping them all.

Hope this helps. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

I keep mine together, but index in a notebook. It's a fun pasttime and all my stamps get to see ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #58  
Inking Addict

Thank you garnerstamps for your post, I really enjoyed it! I plan to make the plunge when I move, as right now I just want the house in a cleanish state for selling, and this is a BIG overhaul, including finding a new storage solution for the sets. I'll be keeping my eye out for those clear drawers though, as I liked those the best of all the ideas, with nice precise labels on each drawer! I can't wait!!!:mrgreen:

Frugal Shopper Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #59  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Okay, I'm baaaaaack. Sorry it took me a day!

Yes, GASP.... I did the unthinkable and separated most of my SU stamp sets. I was so tired of not being able to find specific images and more importantly, not using the stamps I have. Once you accumulate lots of stamps, it's hard to remember what you have... never mind trying to actually FIND it. I had enough of the craziness and decided to split up my sets.

The first step for me was to sort all my NON SU stamps to see what I had and what made the most sense as far as splitting them. I saw which themes had the biggest piles and decided if I should sun categorize them further.

Once I had those piles done, I went and grabbed several SU stamp sets at a time. I sat down and stared at the stamp set and asked myself a couple questions:

*when I use this stamp set, do I always use the individual stamps together?
*do these sentiments belong to different themes or holidays?
*would I use some of these stamps more with OTHER images if I could find it?

When you answers these questions, you'll know the answer... to split or not to split! LOL Some are no brainers. If it doesn't make sense to split them, keep them together! There are all occasion stamp sets that come with 4 or more sentiments. One is for birthday, one is for thank you, one is for love... KWIM? DUH! Split them! Throw them in the appropriate pile and throw the case behind you. Next! LOL If it is a set that pertains to more than holiday I ALWAYS split it. Will you REALLY search through all your sets and find that one stamp for the holiday card you are working on? Probably not. Let's say the stamp set is a 2 step stamp set that really needs to stay together or it won't make sense. In that case I keep them together, BUT if there is a sentiment or 2 in there, I grab them and thrown them in a pile. When I want to make a thank you card, I can look in my two thank you drawers and have a zillion (well not a zillion, but a heck of a lot) stamps and choose just the right one. I would not be patient enough however to look through every stamp set I own and find the same stamp. If it is a set that has words that are meant to be paired together (like BIG and then several smaller words meant to complete the phrase), I keep them together. If it's a Halloween, Easter, Baby, Birthday, or Christmas set it automatically gets broken up. I may place it IN the drawer together, but I like all those stamps in one central place. If I am making a baby card I want to see ALL the baby stamps I have and see which one calls my name. In those drawers I also place appropriate printed ribbons, brads and other embellishments. When I am EVER going to use a bat brad when it's not Halloween? Never! So in it goes. Same with snowflakes, baby feet, bunny brads... KWIM? The other day I wanted to make some Halloween treats so I grabbed my Halloween drawer (which after this season will need to be TWO drawers) and went to town. I had my Halloween paper, ribbon and brads all in one place.

I know this is not for everyone, but I GREATLY enjoy having my stuff this way.

I don't index anything. I don't know what sets contain which stamps and I really don't plan to sell the stamps. If I do, I'll just sell them as "thank you sets" or "birthday sets" with full disclosure that these are not with their original sets. I don't even keep old catalogs. Once I get my new one, I toss the old one in the trash! I know... I know... I am breaking all sorts of "rules"! LMBO

Here are some peeks inside my stamp drawers.

flowers and flower sentiments
anniversary (you can see my baby drawer above complete with baby patterned paper)
one of my 2 birthday drawers

If you have any questions about my drawers, please feel free to PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of separating SU stamps out of sets?-100_5768-2-.jpg   What do you think of separating SU stamps out of sets?-100_5770-2-.jpg   What do you think of separating SU stamps out of sets?-100_5771-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #60  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

more peeks

more flowers
thank you
leaves and tress
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of separating SU stamps out of sets?-100_5766-2-.jpg   What do you think of separating SU stamps out of sets?-100_5773-2-.jpg   What do you think of separating SU stamps out of sets?-100_5776-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #61  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

a couple more

more birthday
more thank you
get well/sympathy
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of separating SU stamps out of sets?-100_5772-2-.jpg   What do you think of separating SU stamps out of sets?-100_5774-2-.jpg   What do you think of separating SU stamps out of sets?-100_5775-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have separated some sets. Those with images that fit into different holidays or occasions seem to work better for me to be separated.

One thing I would suggest, if you think you might do this, make sure you make an index of your set, note on the index sheet where you have the individual stamps stored and keep the index in a notebook for reference.

If this suggestion has been made already, sorry for the duplication. I just didn't take time to read all the posts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMGosh, I umounted everything I have, but i can not bring myself to mix them up.

I am OCD with SPS and this is just against the grain and would no doubt, push me over the edge! I get really shaky just reading about all you that have tossed them together already!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #64  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
OMGosh, I umounted everything I have, but i can not bring myself to mix them up.

I am OCD with SPS and this is just against the grain and would no doubt, push me over the edge! I get really shaky just reading about all you that have tossed them together already!
Y'all are killin me!!!!! ;)

Jody,
I see a few in there I need to borrow. You would not mind would you? wink wink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

I just made a 3 ring binder and have each set stamped on a page (or a few on a page) grouped in categories for the most part so before I start on something I flip through and see what I have. I could never take apart my sets.

Its also helpful cuz I have a ton of CTMH acrylic in handy storage boxes, I cut up old catalogs and glue the pictures of the stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #66  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiMView Post
Y'all are killin me!!!!! ;)

Jody,
I see a few in there I need to borrow. You would not mind would you? wink wink
C'mon over! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #67  
Glitter Guru

Jody, first let me say...you are AWESOME! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your process and then add in pics to boot!

I am at the same place you were. I have a ton of SU stamps and they haven't seen ink in far too long. I think I will get WAY more use out of the majority of my stamps if I go this route. It's good to hear that you have.

Now I just need to figure out how to store this new system of organization. I like the drawers you use...I'm just not sure it would work with what I've already got going in my craft room. I have two bookshelves that are full size and I don't think the drawers would fit in them, they might be too deep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default subscribing

ok; its the middle of the night and cant sleep so been reading this thread; but alas I think I could fall asleep; so just bumping in so I can read more tomorrow! You all have me thinking now on reorganizing!

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY,LIVE FOR TODAY
HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #69  
Crimping Master

The way I stamp, it is best to keep my sets together. I don't usually design by thinking "Oh I need a [fill in the blank]" but tend to pick out a set and make a card using that set.

Or my favorite thing - find a card I like with a specific set and CASE it. (LOL)

So keeping my sets together works for me...for now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 03:00 AM   #70  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by godchickView Post
Jody, first let me say...you are AWESOME! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your process and then add in pics to boot!

I am at the same place you were. I have a ton of SU stamps and they haven't seen ink in far too long. I think I will get WAY more use out of the majority of my stamps if I go this route. It's good to hear that you have.

Now I just need to figure out how to store this new system of organization. I like the drawers you use...I'm just not sure it would work with what I've already got going in my craft room. I have two bookshelves that are full size and I don't think the drawers would fit in them, they might be too deep.
Try the trays I use---I love the idea of the drawers, but I like mine in a single layer and I just don't have the room for more drawers. Check out the end of summer sales for those outdoor dining trays or the acrylic box frames. Make each tray a specific category and there you go, they stack on top of each other and label the sides. I put my sentiments trays out when I do an event at my house and then they can pick their own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 AM   #71  
Embossing Fanatic

I do separate. I photo copy the sheet set before assembling and put it into my pattern book of stamps I own. If I want to sell the set (which has never happened) I can pull the pattern and assemble the set again.

I take apart the set and put each stamp into its catagory (sentiment, animal, flower, etc.) The only exception is if the stamps completely fill the box. Otherwise, it is wasted space.

This has work great for me since I can never remember what design element is in each set and I hate to waste time searching.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #72  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok girls; I finally caught up on all the posts; and I think I am "hooked" with the idea of separating! I will pick a day when I can just sit and do this though! Still havent made up my mind wether to keep them in the clear SU boxes or misc drawers. I have labels on my clear boxes of course with the set name and number of stamps..so how would I re-label these to be both functional and pretty? Dont mind me I just cant think for myself this morning! LOL

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 AM   #73  
Mad Swapper

This thread and atother one totally got me cleaning and purging last night. IT FEELS GOOOD! But the even better news is I am going to a girlfreinds beach house for the weekend to teach her how to use her new Pazzles and while I am gone my husband is going to rearrange all of my office furniture and put up the shelves on the wall for me. He has been waiting on me to decide exactly how I wanted it before he would make the move. Now I am all set!!!! I will be busy getting the room ready for him. I am excited.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #74  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

This thread and atother one totally got me cleaning and purging last night. IT FEELS GOOOD! But the even better news is I am going to a girlfreinds beach house for the weekend to teach her how to use her new Pazzles and while I am gone my husband is going to rearrange all of my office furniture and put up the shelves on the wall for me. He has been waiting on me to decide exactly how I wanted it before he would make the move. Now I am all set!!!! I will be busy getting the room ready for him. I am excited.:-D
Whoo-hoo! It does feel really good when you get organized. And how exciting that your DH is going to do that for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #75  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

. . . while I am gone my husband is going to rearrange all of my office furniture and put up the shelves on the wall for me.

:eek: You're letting him in there by himself?!!?!?!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #76  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am heading to a scrappin weekend tomorrow; but as soon as I get back am re-arranging my stamps! My aunt (Demonstrator) will think I am nuts! LOL
I had a really hard time trying to figure out what to take with me this weekend; and what I could do without; this is probably another thread somewhere; but how do you figure out what to take!??!! I will be working on baby picture layouts; (my grandsons) .. but might work on some other pages also. Do you usually just decide before you go what layouts your going to work on? (This is my first time going to something like this). Also what do you carry all your supplies in? I have one rolling tote; but other then that just making do with other containers. Which totes do you recommend? Boy lots of questions sorry !!!

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #77  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by judybrombachView Post
OMG!!! I had no idea how **** I am!!! Not only could I never split them up - it's killing me that you do!!! I have got to get a life!;)
Just wondering if I should mention that sometimes I even split up a single image into one or more stamps . . . just did another one this evening!
Deep breaths now . . .
BEFORE:
[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1067996?cat=500&ppuser=193229[/IMG]

AFTER:
[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1067997?cat=500&ppuser=193229[/IMG]

Ya'll okay out there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by traechicdesignsView Post
Just wondering if I should mention that sometimes I even split up a single image into one or more stamps . . . just did another one this evening!
Deep breaths now . . .
BEFORE:
[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1067996?cat=500&ppuser=193229[/IMG]

AFTER:
[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1067997?cat=500&ppuser=193229[/IMG]

Ya'll okay out there?
See, this I'm ok with. Aren't I just the odd one?? As long as they stay with the family. Let's just call them twins...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by judybrombachView Post
See, this I'm ok with. Aren't I just the odd one?? As long as they stay with the family. Let's just call them twins...;)
Oh, I think I'm going to have to take it back! Your images are still pending approval - so I couldn't see them - but it sounds like you are actually splitting up a picture. I often (in fact most of the time) cut the words off of a picture - and then I put them on the side of the same block of wood (although I'd be glad to put them on a separate piece of wood if I had one). But I've never split up an image.

I'll reserve my horror until your pictures are approved.

(breathing, breathing, breathing...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #80  
Polyshrink Goddess

ok; I started a new thread for all my questions

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes