Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #41  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyfern31View Post
I have everyone on the list for dinner that has expressed a desire to get together. I will continue to check in, and I think a list for roommates is excellent as well. I, for one, will be looking to share a room with anyone understanding about middle-of-the-night-potty-runs!
I'm in for dinner also, and I also need a roommate. Middle-of-the-night potty runs don't bother me. I sleep like a log
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 04:32 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I am already so excited to know that, God willing, I will be going next year (DH has already agreed)....and to know that I can meet up with all of you at dinner. Being a first timer, there will be comfort in numbers!!!!!

I most likely will be rooming with DH or myself.....I am a very loud snorer and don't want to infringe on your sleep
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 04:42 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well of course(God Willing) I will be there!! I started to save in my Poland Springs bottle (office big bottle) I am planning on going to a Reg. in November so I will get a little tatse of what to expect in the summer. I already started looking at hotels too! LOL..

YIIIPPPPEEE>>>> Convention 09 Sheilli here we come! LOL

-Ellie

My Little Rambling World
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 04:44 AM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

Good morning Ellie.....

Enjoyed all your posts over the past few days at the virtual convention.....very glad to hear that you are getting your bag!!!!!

Looking forward to meeting you in August of '09!!!!!!

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 04:58 AM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I will be rooming with DH but would still love to meet with some other ladies. I hope my nondemo cousin can come, but especially if she can't, I'll need friends!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 04:58 AM   #46  
Polyshrink Goddess

And what are Regionals?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 05:22 AM   #47  
Hardware Hotshot

DH and I would really like to go next year. But I am a spaz and like to start planning early.

What hotels are best to stay at (what is in walking distance), etc? From what I noticed and remember, the Shilo and Hilton were both very close

What are things you might not think to budget for? Don't forget eating on your trip there and back if you have a long flight. Food in the airport is expensive (and not so great might I add). Also, you will need either a hotel with free breakfast (recommended) or $ for breakfast and also dinner every day.
What is the schedule like for convention days (what time does it start, let out, etc) ? You've probably gotten an answer for this but it is approximately 8:30-5:00 each day give or take but doors always open about a 1/2 hour before start time.

Do we know the dates for next year yet? Yes we do, but I forget (sorry). I'm sure someone will tell you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=KdgTeacherStamper;10773636]
Quote:

Originally Posted by stampylisaView Post
don't worry about not having someone to attend with, find a new friend here on SCS.

Does anyone on scs want to be my friend?!
I would be interested also! ;) You might have 50 roommates and buds before next August rolls around! It would be fun to make our plan early though. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Hi Everyone!!

I guess I am the original gal who is seeking friends here on SCS!!! Thank you to all who have vowed to be a friend!! There truly many, many, kind-hearted gals on here, aren't there?! I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who doesn't have anyone to attend convention with. That was my main reason for not attending this year. Didn't have anyone. Of course, convention 2009 is a year a way, but it would be great to start thinking ahead early. I know many of us can't say for sure that we are going until closer to the time but as of now, there is nothing stopping me. Perhaps we could remain in contact somehow or form a group (if that is at all possible).
Thanks again to all!! I really look forward to talking to you real soon!

Patti~count me in for dinner!! I'd love to do that!!

All the Ohio gals-where is everyone located???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KdgTeacherStamperView Post

All the Ohio gals-where is everyone located???
I just now found this thread, but I live in Ohio. I live in the Toledo area.

:-)
Traci
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I will be going next year, and will attend by myself. Count me in , I would love a group dinner, and make some new friends. I will be flying from Texas.

I am going to California in seven weeks, first vacation in 31 years without dh. Needless to say I am estatic. I mean I love him, but a vacation not listening about whining, 'how much does that cost", "I can't eat that". Just my whats and whims, and some Disneyland thrown in.

I am so excited, already got a 2009 calendar posted, and convention dates marked for my time off.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #52  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLORView Post
I will be going next year, and will attend by myself. Count me in , I would love a group dinner, and make some new friends. I will be flying from Texas.

I am going to California in seven weeks, first vacation in 31 years without dh. Needless to say I am estatic. I mean I love him, but a vacation not listening about whining, 'how much does that cost", "I can't eat that". Just my whats and whims, and some Disneyland thrown in.

I am so excited, already got a 2009 calendar posted, and convention dates marked for my time off.

Patrice
Patrice,
What part of East Texas? My brother lived in Tyler for years before he passed away in 2006. I am north of Fort Worth. Maybe we could get seats on the plane out of DFW next to each other.

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #53  
Embossing Fanatic

Will anyone else be flying out of DFW airport?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #54  
Crimping Master

Fellow Hoosier here who went alone to her first convention. I liked not having to be stuck with a group of people--it is much easier to find a seat for one or two than 12 (sat in the first few rows at all of the general sessions). I found a roommate on Stamp and Discuss and had a great time with her. Also, met a gal on the tour on day 1 and kept in touch with her via cell phone ate lunch with her and palled around. Also, met up with a 2nd level upline that was there and ate with her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, sounds like you had a great time.
I really have no doubt in my mind that it wouldn't be hard to meet people at convention. I couldn't imagine there being an unfriendly demo there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Hey Carol,

I live in Whitehouse, work for hospital in Tyler. I will be flying out of DFW.
Where are you located?

I am so excited, finally after all the years of work, raising kids, living with a beeper, making my family happy,

IT'S TIME FOR ME !!!!!!!!

In a few weeks, California.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #57  
Stampin' Fool

I attended this year for the first time and would recommend that as a group you decide which track you want to register for and all sign up for that. Otherwise you won't be with each other as much. All attendees meet for the general session together in the morning (afternoon on last day) and then move to classes in the afternoon based on your track. A gal from my track set up a dinner for all of Track 10 to meet the night before convention and I made some awesome friends who I spent the entire convention with.

Just go and have a blast!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #58  
Crimping Master

Pack a shipping box and some shipping tape. There are plenty of places to ship from, but they may not have the box and/or tape.

Next year, I'm seriously considering bringing O2 (just kidding). I tell ya, the heat and dryness I could deal with, but the altitude was tough for me (not kidding).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #59  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Crescent City, CA (tsunami surfin' in the heart of the giant Redwoods!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CwmwcwView Post
I attended this year for the first time and would recommend that as a group you decide which track you want to register for and all sign up for that. Otherwise you won't be with each other as much. All attendees meet for the general session together in the morning (afternoon on last day) and then move to classes in the afternoon based on your track. A gal from my track set up a dinner for all of Track 10 to meet the night before convention and I made some awesome friends who I spent the entire convention with.

Just go and have a blast!!!
This is great advice, since I never knew about any tracks in all of the convention posts I read. When can one sign up for a Track?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #60  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepesmomView Post
Pack a shipping box and some shipping tape. There are plenty of places to ship from, but they may not have the box and/or tape.

Next year, I'm seriously considering bringing O2 (just kidding). I tell ya, the heat and dryness I could deal with, but the altitude was tough for me (not kidding).
It was tough for me too, back in Convention '05. I had a headache during the entire time I was in SLC. Imagine trying to enjoy Convention, all the excitement with a constant headache!

Next year I will be better prepared with my migrane meds!

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #61  
Glitter Guru

This year I was a convention virgin - and it ROCKED. I met Bevmom on here and we were both going out early to SLC for some sightseeing. We stayed at the Plaza. Right across the street. I then went on to stay with my upline and sideline and a girl I never met (here's a shout out to you Sara!). We had a great time.

One thing I would have to say - well actually two - is that 1) I have never met so many encouraging, friendly, helpful people in my entire life. 2) ALL of the SU! employees were kind, gracious, eager to help, and seem to really enjoy their jobs. I wish I could work somewhere where I enjoyed my job as much as they do.

It was worth every penny - although I have nothing to compare it to, it was the best thing for me. I am reinspired in my creativity and what direction I want to take my hobby/business in.

About the DH....Mine almost came, but really, he would have been bored out of his skull and I would have never seen him - we are gone THAT MUCH out of the hotel. I met up with him in Vegas afterwards to celebrate our 10th anniversary this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

My first convention was three years ago....I went alone and roomed with two gals that I met here on SCS! They were great and we had a wonderful time.

The dates for next year WERE NOT announced at convention. Even tho the Salt Palace has August dates set aside for SU! I wouldnt necessarily count on those to be set in stone.

Convention in one rush of energy the ENTIRE time you are there. We got up at 0500 and went till almost midnight every night. I NEEDED Monday to recouperate!! Thot I didnt have to work until Wednesday but was wrong....had to work Tuesday night and off Wed. Sure could have used another day to "rest"!

The BEST piece of advice I can give to the convention "virgins" is to NOT LEAVE TO GO HOME until Sunday. There were a lot of ladies that left at noon on Saturday and completely missed Shelli, the UPS guys and the free stamp set! ALWAYS ALWAYS stay through till Sunday!!!

Yes 5000+ women sound a big intimidating and they can be.....but just remember that we are all there for the SAME reason.....our love of stamping and of SU! You will never go wrong with the ppl at convention! Everyone is SUPER-DUPER!

Have fun and relax thinking about Convention 2009! You will all be fine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:34 AM   #63  
Glitter Guru

You have gotten alot of great advice! Just know that you can and should do it! It was so much fun(but exhausting!) There are so many great hotels around town---all pretty close, so don't worry about being right across the street. We were a little farther away(still totally walkable) but found all our places to eat at night, by walking to convention. You will meet so many people, both here and at convention, that you can do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 03:44 AM   #64  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by teresa2315View Post
I'm going to sign up as a demo in Sep or Oct and would love to go to convention next year and I'm like Kristy, would love to know what to plan and what to expect.
Thanks
Teresa in TN

Are you not a current demo?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #65  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLORView Post
Hey Carol,

I live in Whitehouse, work for hospital in Tyler. I will be flying out of DFW.
Where are you located?

I am so excited, finally after all the years of work, raising kids, living with a beeper, making my family happy,

IT'S TIME FOR ME !!!!!!!!

In a few weeks, California.

Patrice
I live in a little town called Ponder, which is about 35-40 miles north of Fort Worth....very close to Denton.

I'm glad you will be flying out of DFW. When it gets closer to convention time we need to get together and make plane reservations.

If you are ever in the DFW area, give me a shout and we can get together and stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #66  
Stampin' Fool

Ladyfern31, you sign up for a track when you register for convention -- that is if SU does things the same way as this year. It seemed to work real well and Shelli commented on how nice it was so I would imagine they will do something similar next year. You will have to time it well with the others as some of the tracks sold out fairly quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #67  
Cardstock Collector

My advice...after being a convention virgin this year...JUST DO IT!!! You have to go, everyone is wonderfully nice, the whole experience is uplifting & inspirational!!! Besides that, I have never laughed so much in my entire life! I need 8 hours of sleep a night, you can forget that! Up early, Up late...Swapping is like a feeding frenzy of phirannas (that's spelled wrong I know) but tooooooooo fun! Bring plenty, you won't be disappointed!!! I can hardly wait until next year!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #68  
Glitter Guru

Default Tips for next year

Quote:

Originally Posted by knclounder1View Post
DH and I would really like to go next year. But I am a spaz and like to start planning early.

What hotels are best to stay at (what is in walking distance), etc?
I stayed at Little America- right on the free Trax line (make sure that when leaving the Salt Palace you take the "Sandy" line- i caught the University line TWICE by mistake- added 15 min to my walk- grr). Little America was FANTASTIC- esp for having a roomate- two separate vanities for getting dressed - and comfy rooms. It was a 15 min walk to the Salt Palace. Closest Starbucks is in the Sheraton - which is a block up and a block west of Little America. It was bloody hot in SLC, so the 15 min walk was not too pleasant - Trax was easier.

What are things you might not think to budget for?
I really didn't spend much more money than I brought- $150 cash - the box lunches were fine- reasonably healthy and there were extra snacks for the afternoon. I would say save up for Memento Mall so you aren't tempted to charge anything. Maybe $200

What is the schedule like for convention days (what time does it start, let out, etc) ?
Pretty much you're up and running non-stop from 6am to midnight every day! Seriously - there was so much packed in. I ended up skipping my 2nd day of make & takes since that was my first "class" on Saturday. If you get the kit, you can always finish them at home (and they won't get crumpled in your luggage). Since there is not much down time, pack comfortable shoes and light clothing. Did i mention how BLOODYHOT it was?!

Do we know the dates for next year yet? I think it's Aug 5-8? It's on the demo site now....
Any info is greatly appreciated. I am a new demo so I know nothing about convention.
Items to pack that I found very helpful:
  • Power cord multi-outlet- I bought one from Target for $2.99 and was able to keep all my power cords in one place to charge the camera battery, cellphone, laptop, etc. I'll never travel without that again!
  • If you bring your laptop, bring an ethernet cable - some places (Little America) have the plug in the room for free internet, but charge for wireless in the room. Or maybe the free wireless is in the lobby. Don't know about you, but i "laptop" in my pj's so the free wireless in the lobby was not gonna work for me.
  • COMFY SHOES- AT LEAST 2 PAIRS to alternate
  • Light clothing - all my "business casual" is in the sweater/knit material and that was not good. Ugh. I hated my clothes. It's okay to dress casually as long as it's nice. Except for Awards night- dressing up is a nice show of respect.
  • Earplugs- I bought a pack since I was going to meet a sideline roomate for the first time- I had no idea if she snored (she didn't!) but brought these just in case. It's good to offer them to your roomate too- just in case the exhaustion causes you to snore.
  • Tylenol PM is a miracle- you will be too excited to sleep on your own accord, so a little blue pill will help!
  • Absolutely take the tour of the Riverton Campus- awesome!
  • Absolutely join in on SCS swaps, dinners, events, and Tshirts- you will have instant friends! I regret not getting the SCS T this time.
  • If you plan to meet friends somewhere at the convention center- for swaps or just meeting up, pick a place that is NOT in the main entrance hallway! The upper level entrance is a good place for meeting up since it's out of the way.
  • Program your groups cellphone numbers into your phone so you can see who's calling as well as have your numbers handy.

Thanks, Kristy
My advice is in Purple! d
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #69  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Crescent City, CA (tsunami surfin' in the heart of the giant Redwoods!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekgirl415View Post
This kind of advice is priceless! Thanks so much for your perspective. I can hardly wait for the next year to pass!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekgirl415View Post
Thanks for all the great tips. It's really hard to even have an idea of what to expect. I like to at least have an idea...The unknown can be scary!!

Last edited by KdgTeacherStamper; 08-06-2008 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: I talk in my head but when I type it, it comes out funky!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #71  
Hardware Hotshot

The purple advice was great! But let me add - tylenol PM is simply tylenol + benadryl and SLC is high altitude/hot/dry. So if you are prone to sinus dryness this may not be the best choice.

And I was LOL at some people from the NW complaining about how hot it was. I mean, it was hot, but I'm from KY and I thought it felt great b/c there was absolutely no humidity! I could actually walk outside and not immediately have my back covered in sweat. There is a huge difference in how that kind of heat feels. So it depends on what you are used to how the weather affects you.

My DL and I stated at the Homewood Suites. It was a long 4 blocks, but only took about 10-12m to walk. It helped walk off a few calories after eating out every night lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #72  
Insane Embellisher

I am so looking forward to next year!!!!!

After 'attending the virtual convention' here and now this thread....I so want to meet everyone!

I've been a hobby demo since November '07....and can't get anyone of my friends interested in stamping....so to spend 3 - 4 days with people who are just as obsessed as me.....plus, you are all so friendly and helpful and funny.......I can't wait!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #73  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolc1027View Post
I am so looking forward to next year!!!!!

After 'attending the virtual convention' here and now this thread....I so want to meet everyone!

I've been a hobby demo since November '07....and can't get anyone of my friends interested in stamping....so to spend 3 - 4 days with people who are just as obsessed as me.....plus, you are all so friendly and helpful and funny.......I can't wait!!!!!
I couldn't agree more!!! I hope that we meet next summer!! All us convention virgins!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #74  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KdgTeacherStamperView Post
I couldn't agree more!!! I hope that we meet next summer!! All us convention virgins!
I think we should have an official "Convention Virgins" t-shirt made up so we will all recognize each other
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm seriously thinking of going to Convention. As a Convention virgin are there rules about swaps and what you should swap or what you should not. There is another thread on SCS about Swap Snobs - I ad an experience at Regionals that led me to believe that you should not use retired sets???

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #76  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Heidi...READ the swap snob thread! Convetion virgins tshirt would be an awesome idea. but the do give you bright colored pins (as a virgin of convention it will be the only one you have hanging around your neck with your name badge) so everyone can identify you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #77  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinheavenView Post
I think we should have an official "Convention Virgins" t-shirt made up so we will all recognize each other

What a great idea! I'm in.......now, who is going to design it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 05:21 AM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinheavenView Post
Oh goodness! What did I start, coining that term??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #79  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in MN and would be interested in a roomie. I'm pretty easy going...don't smoke. If you snore or have an evening potty break...that is no problem. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #80  
Mad Swapper

Wink

The shirts would be a great idea,

and what will the color be?

Hmmmm, purple?

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes