Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink what is the HOT technique right now?

I figure that I'm about two years behind the trends :? so I thought if someone could tell me right now what the hottest breaking news in stamping is - that I could get on board before it's out of style.

Techniques, Trends, Embellishments - whatever. I want to be in the IN crowd!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me

Last edited by jailbirdstamper; 10-07-2005 at 06:01 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Wink Shapes

One thing we know that it is not.... it's not "Happy New Year cards.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers :grin:
In My Humble Opinion... I see people inventing more and more templates for shaped cards... like dresses, shirts, hats, coffee mugs. Love the picket fences by Michelle Laycock.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh my god I have never laughed so hard in my life! I completely forgot about that thread but knew I had to go in and close it off due to death from lack of interest. Ya know girlfriend I follow your posts all over this board and you always leave me laughing (by the way when are you OFF the board???) but this one takes the cake!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

p.s girlfriend you are getting a truck load of new years cards from me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
I figure that I'm about two years behind the trends :? so I thought if someone could tell me right now what the hottest breaking news in stamping is - that I could get on board before it's out of style.

Techniques, Trends, Embellishments - whatever. I want to be in the IN crowd!
Argyle/harlequin
Retro
Shabby Chic/Distressed still going strong, from what I can tell
Artist Trading Cards have re-surfaced once again (I never got into them before, so I'm unlikely to get into them this time)
Altered Art (anything altered--books, altoid tins, etc.)
Dimensional accents of all types and materials--silk flowers, metal label holders, photo turns, epoxy stickers, etc.
Shimmer (Pearl Ex, Radiant Pearls, Moonglow Powders, etc.)
Staples

Simplicity is on the upswing, supposedly, but I have yet to really see it generally speaking . . . ? Personally, that is my preferred trend, so mebbe that means I'm in the "out" crowd . . . ;) ROTFL! I tend to avoid anything labor intensive, time intensive, and mess intensive . . .

Mebbe JanTink will spot this and chime in--she's always on top of that stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I still see lots of stitching (sewing machine) in the magazines I get.
Debbiedee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Correct me if I'm wrong gals, but whatever the SCS gals are doin' is what's popular, trendy and H-O-T HOT!!!

I have to have the argyle/harlequin background now..never would have thought of it before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #8  
Sassy Shani

DITTO plus infinity!

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinChrissylea
Correct me if I'm wrong gals, but whatever the SCS gals are doin' is what's popular, trendy and H-O-T HOT!!!

I have to have the argyle/harlequin background now..never would have thought of it before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 07:25 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Simplicity is on the upswing, supposedly, but I have yet to really see it generally speaking . . . ? Personally, that is my preferred trend, so mebbe that means I'm in the "out" crowd . . . ;) ROTFL! I tend to avoid anything labor intensive, time intensive, and mess intensive . . .

Mebbe JanTink will spot this and chime in--she's always on top of that stuff!

Boy, I hope you are right, Julie! I hope simplicity is coming back - especially in scrapbooking. I am getting tired of trying to find the photos through the embellishments in the scrapping mags. I've let all my subscriptions lapse until they come back with a style where you can see the pics LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Lets remember that no matter what we create, its an expression of the heart. Especially in Scrappin'... a photo unscrapped is just that...a photo...do your simple layouts..because its more than the average person does. Do the simple card, because its more personal than Hallmark. Anytime you do something from the heart, its more valuable than its store bought or box-stored counterpart...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Distressed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8
Boy, I hope you are right, Julie! I hope simplicity is coming back - especially in scrapbooking. I am getting tired of trying to find the photos through the embellishments in the scrapping mags. I've let all my subscriptions lapse until they come back with a style where you can see the pics LOL!

I let all my scrap mags laps years ago . . . I just couldn't keep up and got frustrated.

But, I was always impressed with "Simple Scrapbooks", and if I were to sub again, that would prolly be the one I would go for? I hafta admit, I tend to avoid scrappin' like the plague! :eek: I know, I knooooooow! DISGRACEFUL! But, for some reason I just don't get the same thrill from it as I do from making cards and gifts . . .

I *think* it's because scrapping is something one tends to do for oneself, to keep, and card and gift making is always for giving away? I once had a scrapper tell me she didn't understand how I could possibly bear to part with my creations and she scrapped because she wanted to keep what she made. I found that curious at the time, but then, after thinking about it, I realized she was drawn to the scrapping for that reason, and I was drawn to the card & gift making for the opposite . . . And, either way, that's OK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2005, 02:33 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

"I *think* it's because scrapping is something one tends to do for oneself, to keep, and card and gift making is always for giving away?"

But then, Julie, there are also card makers who, unlike you and me, hoard their cards, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2005, 05:06 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

if you're looking for techniques, you may want to check out and subscribe to the Technique Junkies Newsletter www.patstamps.com there are some FREE watercolor tutorials on her site, so that you can see what the tutorials look like.

When you subscribe, you also have access to a yahoo group, online step by step tutorials with photos, paper issue with photos, and swaps using the techniques
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2005, 05:41 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Default hot trends

Hardware is hot now. You'd never make it through a metal detector carrying some of the cards I see now! I wonder if you need to put on extra postage to actually mail them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2005, 05:51 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulotta
Hardware is hot now. You'd never make it through a metal detector carrying some of the cards I see now!

LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2005, 08:08 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa S
if you're looking for techniques, you may want to check out and subscribe to the Technique Junkies Newsletter www.patstamps.com there are some FREE watercolor tutorials on her site, so that you can see what the tutorials look like.

When you subscribe, you also have access to a yahoo group, online step by step tutorials with photos, paper issue with photos, and swaps using the techniques
Can't believe I forgot to mention Pat's AWESOME newsletter!!! It is incredible for the latest techniques and having them all right at your fingertips. Invaluable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

More new trends:
Background stamp EVERYTHING!!!! ... all in mono chromatic colors or colors with similar color values. (Is there anything that doesn't look better with Canvas on it??????)
Tags, I mean the little ones, sticking out of the side of the image that's mounted, just tags or loops of ribbon, preferably twill or plaid
Plaid ribbon... can't get enough of it!
Speaking of twill... how about stamping on twill ribbon, it's sooo fun!
Ribbon, ribbon and more ribbon, sticking out everywhere
Staples, au naturale or colored with a sharpie
Magic mesh (or colored drywall tape). It adds texture to everything.

I love the way my stamping looks now... (all thanks to SCS). I especially am grateful for the awakening to background stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2005, 04:57 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinChrissylea
I think there is much more out there HOT than what I see on SCS and you are selling yourself short if you limit yourself to just this one site Chrissy. JMHO.

There are a lot of popular things right now and paper piecing is really in, but I rarely see it on SCS. Altered clipboards or altered anything (bulletin boards, chalk boards, CD's, altoid tins) are all kickin. EZ mount for easy storage is regaining popularity. Embellishments include the spiral clips, safety pins, staples, and lots of ribbon! Anything Aged or Distressed is really popular along with collage. Have you seen the background masking puzzles? www.tamp-a-stamp.com These things sold out at the local rubber stamp store in just a few short hours. By the time I got to the table (about an hour into the show), they were taking orders to mail out to people. Also, simple is coming back with no layer and single layer cards. Another hot trend is envelope decorations from stamping on the outside to creating liners on the inside. Have fun with it.
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2005, 06:26 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boulderstamper
I think there is much more out there HOT than what I see on SCS and you are selling yourself short if you limit yourself to just this one site Chrissy. JMHO.

There are a lot of popular things right now and paper piecing is really in, but I rarely see it on SCS. Altered clipboards or altered anything (bulletin boards, chalk boards, CD's, altoid tins) are all kickin. EZ mount for easy storage is regaining popularity. Embellishments include the spiral clips, safety pins, staples, and lots of ribbon! Anything Aged or Distressed is really popular along with collage. Have you seen the background masking puzzles? www.tamp-a-stamp.com These things sold out at the local rubber stamp store in just a few short hours. By the time I got to the table (about an hour into the show), they were taking orders to mail out to people. Also, simple is coming back with no layer and single layer cards. Another hot trend is envelope decorations from stamping on the outside to creating liners on the inside. Have fun with it.
Oh, I don't limit myself and I didn't mean to imply that I do. I'm an active member of this site and I was trying to show my support to my fellow SCSers and the members of the SCS admin team. I just feel this place is a wonderful resource for people to get a handle on stamping and build relationships. There is more out there than one site could ever cover just as there's not one company that offers everything for every stamper. To think otherwise would be shortsighted. SCS is the springboard for many people to get comfortable sharing and developing their craft, plus the overall community aspect is wonderful as well.

Many of the things you mentioned are extremely fun things to try. Thanks for the website..I'll check it out. I live in a small town and have no stamp store to attend classes less than 2 hours away so my exposure to new things is through publications and internet. Thanks again for your added Hot Trends.. I bet we'll start seeing some of the things you mentioned pop up in the galleries..its amazing how quickly things get started!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Have you seen the background masking puzzles? www.tamp-a-stamp.com These things sold out at the local rubber stamp store in just a few short hours. By the time I got to the table (about an hour into the show), they were taking orders to mail out to people.
Thanks for the reminder!! I went to a stamp show early in the summer & watched a demo using these templates - actually a hands on demo - the best kind! I ended up ordering a couple of the templates - they were selling like hotcakes and had sold out of the ones I wanted. I have not used them ... but need to!! They were so cool!
Reply With Quote Likes