Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What memorabilia do you collect when going on vacations.

Lets start a thread here so others will have a better idea of what to keep an eye out for When collecting memorabilia when going on vacations or places where you scrapbook your photo's.

I learned this when I was DEMO FOR CM. And still do this when I go on vacations. I take my accordian file folder with me and pack little things in it from my vacation for memorabilia

I went to curacao and collected items like the ticket for boarding the flight. The take out menus from certain restaraunts, a matchbook, a pen, A list of activities they gave us for the kids. The vracelets we were for the week. Since it was a kid related Island. They did loads of activities for the kids. They had a pirate dinner on a shipwrecked ship. It was a real ship just docked on the island. They had the kids dress up as pirates and served them a pirates dinner.

I kept a map of the island to use as memorabilia. Certain flyers of the events that take place while your there for the week. Then we took pictures of things we didn't usually take. Like street signs. Houses are all painted a differant color bright colros not like where I live. Maybe a picture of people.

My brother in law went into town one day took pictures of people who live there. He would stand across the street and pretend to take pictures of a building . But he was actually taking pictures of the differant people and his pictures were fanominal. He does a great job at capturing people and the ways they live in other counties and cities.

Anyway I think you get the idea here. What do you capture for your photos and collect for memorabilia when you go on vacation. Won't you all share with us.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

I collect postcards from every place I've been
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: in a quiet library with plenty of books, a pot of tea, dark chocolate, and a purring cat
Default unusual

I collect the stuff the above poster mentioned, but be on the lookout for unusual things too. I was in London right after the airplane plot was discovered this summer, and picked up the sheets from British Air that defined all the things you weren't allowed to bring on board (lotion, water, key fobs, cell phones, etc.) Needless to say, I did NOT take pictures of the swarms of heavily armed security at the airport!!

I also am always on the lookout for those pressed penny machines-fun to add to a page!
Rachel V.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #4  
neglecting the kids and housework

For myself I always get a mug. For memories I keep receipts, ticket stubs, tags from stuffed animals I get Zach, pressed pennies, foreign money. Almost anything. ANd if its on the big side I have scanned and printed on shrink paper, it turns out pretty cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

When we go to any kind of park(Disneyworld, Zoo etc), I always save the map for put in my scrapbook. I also save tickets, and anything like that. I also like to buy postcards to scrapbook with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am going to DisneyWorld and on a Caribbean Cruise in just 19 days. Although this is our third Cruise with my cousins (9 of us), I have never scapbooked any of them. Thank you for the tips. I will take along a big envelope to keep track of the stuff. I always save it, but then I can't find it! Since we're going to Disneyworld, this time I am going to Scrapbook!! (hopefully) I am ordering a Disney cartridge for my Cricut and that will motivate me I hope.
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I save all the stuff mentioned in the OP. I don't worry about whether I'll really use it in a scrapbook, but keep it just in case. I have also found that the most important thing for me is to keep a daily journal while I am on the trip. At the time I take a picture I think I'll surely remember the details of who, when, where, etc.... but when it finally comes time to get it in the scrapbook, I can't remember! The daily journal has saved me so many times, and really helps in the journaling later.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

postcards can save you for scrapbooking when a picture was missed or did not turn out.
back in the days of film I would take a picture of the cruise newsletter in the morning and then I would know where the pictures from that point on belonged.
tickets, receipts, the unusual, pressed pennies are a hit with the kids, and a map of the place you are, brochures, can be used for details to journal with later.
Home depot disney paint swatches are great at disney for autographs and adding to a page later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I usually look for a tote bag for myself. I get a lot more use out of them than t shirts.
Scrapbook-wise, I love to get post cards, as well as brochures, etc. from places we go. However, we rarely go anywhere anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

We allways get keychain or magnets for the kids with there names on them before we had kids we got ones with our names on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I usually pick up a shot glass of the different vacations we go on. Go figure we don't even drink! LOL! I also collect postcards, tickets and if we go to the Zoo, amusment park or the like I will also pick up a map of the location! I have also picked up a few cool photo frames in the past!
--------
Caren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I usually grab a postcard of the hotel we stay at - these are usually at the front desk. Other things I've kept are parking receipts for parks, matchbooks from restaurants, even clean paper napkins that have the name of a restaurant on it. Anything that I can put onto a scrap page!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I have sand from every place I have visited. Makes me feel like I own little parts of the world.

I travel with a glass spice (type) jar and fill it. When I get home I label it as to where it came from (i.e. Grand Cayman, Punta Cana, Puerto Vallarta etc). The jars have a cork lid that I have hot glued either a sea shell or beach glass piece that I have found there as well. Really interesting to see all the different colours and textures of sand the world really has.

The jars sit on my office desk and help me to reflect on great memories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinky66
I have sand from every place I have visited. Makes me feel like I own little parts of the world.

I travel with a glass spice (type) jar and fill it. When I get home I label it as to where it came from (i.e. Grand Cayman, Punta Cana, Puerto Vallarta etc). The jars have a cork lid that I have hot glued either a sea shell or beach glass piece that I have found there as well. Really interesting to see all the different colours and textures of sand the world really has.

The jars sit on my office desk and help me to reflect on great memories.
That is really cool! can you post a picture for us?
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I get a turtle for myself and a hat, t-shirt, or shot glass for my husband. I also take a lot of maps, postcards, tickets, etc home with me. Receipts and/or price tags are some others - it's fun to compare prices to different regions . . . and decades for that matter. A lot of what I bring home depends on the area we are visiting. My husband and I love to go camping, so we have a "camping journal" that we use (camp site #, $, where we ate, things to do . . .). It's really handy when we go back to the same campground.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I also bring back tickets, maps, etc. I also started getting the pressed pennies because they are too cute on scrapbook pages. My mom collects travel pins and puts them in a shadow box. If we go anywhere really special... like another country, I try to get a good piece of jewelry. It's something I can where often and remember my trip, as well as pass down to my children!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Jewelry for sure, and a Magnet for the Refridgerator. Sometimes the usual suspects too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I always get a Christmas ornament or something representative of the trip for the Christmas tree. I date them with a Sharpie. We also get ornaments to commemorate important events in the family to put on the tree. I buy several of each so the kids can each have an identical set of these when they marry and have their own homes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarensCreations
I usually pick up a shot glass of the different vacations we go on. Go figure we don't even drink! LOL! I also collect postcards, tickets and if we go to the Zoo, amusment park or the like I will also pick up a map of the location! I have also picked up a few cool photo frames in the past!
--------
Caren
That is too funny! About 10 years ago, my sister and I started bringing my mom and dad back a souveneir shot glass from anywhere we went! None of us drink, but they now have quite a collection!! Mom forgot about having them displayed on her shelves in the family room, and they had their Bible study group over a few years ago. She thought about it later, and wondered what they thought!

I met a girl once who only decorated her house with things that she bought on trips/vacations, so that her home decor had meaning. Pretty cool idea, but I don't think I'd have the patience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Pencils, pencils... and uh... more pencils! LOL 6000 and counting, vacation is the best time to get more!

I also get one nice magnet. I have so many now that we rotate them since I only have room for a couple.

As for scrapbooking, I collect all kinds of thing, ticket stubs, maps, postcards... anything I think I would use. Then it goes into a box, or a drawer or just where ever it will fit and it stays there until I throw it out because I don't scrapbook. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Mostly as everyone already mentionsed:
pressed pennies, reciepts, ticket stubs, photos of where we are, street signs, restaurant signs, pictures in succession ie beginning of the 8 hr drive to Spokane, hour 2, crossing the border, the 24hr Walmart ( we do not have one) hour 6 now we are tired, arrival.... you get the idea.
I also always write a small journal note before bed on trips. Helps to remember details, just a few words to trigger the memories.

The whole point is to enjoy and make it personal!

Thanks
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I visit the local garden centers and buy plants to put in our yard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I keep a lot of the usual items but pick up a postcard of the things I like but know I won't get a good picture of. DH likes the penny press machines these are cool charms for pages & you can usually get several with different designs for the same place. A nice but inexpensive piece of jewelry (when we visited AZ I picked up a pair of earrings from a Navajo market) - & hat pins, something for the christmas tree, or a decorative item for the house. When I took my first hot air balloon ride the pilot took us through some tree tops - everybody else ducked into the basket...I just closed my eyes, opened my hands & grabbed handfuls of leaves! They will definitely go onto the pages even if they are only crumbles.
Kitty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 02:29 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

I buy earrings. They're small, not overly expensive, and I can remember the trip whenever I wear them! My son collects pencils wherever he goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 04:35 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I'm with the refrigerator magnet collectors. Just yesterday I was standing at my frig reliving many years' worth of travels as I perused my magnets :-). I also buy an ornament if one is readily available (won't hunt or ask for them but will consider if I see one). I don't scrapbook--yet--but have saved lots of ticket stubs and other paper items from travels, all in a big box. Hard to throw anything away that has a good memory attached to it!
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:04 AM   #26  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jillgunter
When we go to any kind of park(Disneyworld, Zoo etc), I always save the map for put in my scrapbook. I also save tickets, and anything like that. I also like to buy postcards to scrapbook with.
DITTO!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:05 AM   #27  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulotta
I'm with the refrigerator magnet collectors. Just yesterday I was standing at my frig reliving many years' worth of travels as I perused my magnets :-). I also buy an ornament if one is readily available (won't hunt or ask for them but will consider if I see one). I don't scrapbook--yet--but have saved lots of ticket stubs and other paper items from travels, all in a big box. Hard to throw anything away that has a good memory attached to it!
My non scrapbooking items are magnets and shot glasses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:52 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

I guess I have to get out more often. Where do you find the pressed penny machine? Sounds like fun. I also keep a journal, and save train passes, post cards. I love the sand idea, now I have to go where there is sand. Love the idea of folder to put everything in. The Disney paint swatches for autographs is a wonderful idea.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Those pressed penny machines are really great because they create something you only get if you are at that location. I've seen them in numerous places but not anywhere consistent. I've gotten lots of stuff to put into books.........coasters, napkins.......BUT....you mean you actually supposed to scrap them? ;-) I have tons of stuff but no books......I'm such a bad scrapbooker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by showmestamper
That is really cool! can you post a picture for us?
Hi Beth
I would be happy to post a picture of my sand collection but it will have to wait until next week, my camera is out on loan to a friend until then.:(

As soon as I get it back I'll upload one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinky66
Hi Beth
I would be happy to post a picture of my sand collection but it will have to wait until next week, my camera is out on loan to a friend until then.:(

As soon as I get it back I'll upload one.
Thanks!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

I went to Costa Rica 7 years, ahhh paradise, what fun memories, anyways, I brought home some small rocks and some sand from a white sand beach and some sand from a black sand beach. I bought two little bottle from a local pottery shop and put them in there.
Reply With Quote Likes