Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe Im in the minority, or Im just one of the few who are actually saying it but I LOOOVE a layered, embellished card!

I really dont like the AMuse style, one stamp plain looking card...if I wanted that I would buy a card from hallmark.

I like spending time on a card working out layers, colors, different textures, and embellishments. I LOVE thats what Im seeing a lot of now...wouldnt trade it ever for a one stamp card.

But if I had to choose a trend I would say that its more "professional" looking cards using Prisma pencils and gamasol, copics, watercoloring....anything that makes a card look like art. Instead of the cutesy, obvious handmade cards that you used to see a lot of, IE the AMuse style.

JMO, and not meaning to offend any AMuse fans.....it's just not my thing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post
I can tell you I never want to see another set of wings added to anything.
Amen! Enough with the pointy hats or crowns, too.

I used to subscribe to Somerset Studio and Stampers Sampler, but I got tired of seeing the same style on every page, so I didn't renew after the Dec/Jan 2007 issue. The only thing that really interested me in that whole issue, was the article featuring Lisa Strahl's pocket cards and I think that's because her cards were mostly stamped. Like JanTInk said, I'd like to see a sampling of styles, not just the artsy-fartsy stuff.

Here are a variety of styles that I would be interested in seeing in SS or Take Ten:

Artfully Asian by aswalford

In My Garden by atomicbutterfly

In The Meadow by Happy Heart

Apricot Roses by Lauraly

Cranberry Blossoms by Carole Richardson

I miss the pretty cards that are mostly stamped, with little or no designer paper used. I know the brightly patterned, bold design paper is popular, but I'm sick of it.

Thanks so much for asking our opinions! I'm sure you've visited the gallery here and can see what we like to make.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #43  
Hardware Hotshot

I am pretty funky with my interests... but I love the whole owl... woodland animal... woodgrain... tree... nuts... thing. Like Hambly Screen Prints and Sasafrass Lass. I think we are into the tail end of a 70's look right now and things tend to be cyclical... so I imagine the 80's is next; sneakers, rainbows, unicorns, stripes, dots, but done in new fresh colors (no neon please!). I also dig the whole pirate thing... I love all the vintage; but I'd rather see more in RETRO... think 50's... or that 80's take on the 50's... more on the campy side.

I am also surprised we have not seen anything in paper that is "green" as in environmentally sound... natural dyes and paper made from recycled paper; but in hip designs and acid free! Ink Pads made from Soy ink/plant dyes would be cool too! I just feel like this is a HUGE gap in the market!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

I second JanTink..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #45  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
I'm happy to see you asking. Because I stopped buying your magazines a while back because they all looked the same. They've been Somerset-ized.

I was a big follower of Somerset Studio for a long time, don't get me wrong. But once it started promoting a certain style and stopped featuring the variety that it used to, I got tired of it. There are only so many art dolls anyone needs to look at in one lifetime, KWIM? ;)

And then I noticed that the Stamper's Sampler started featuring more and more of the same style of artwork and I stopped buying that. And finally, Take Ten started drifting that way too and I haven't bought the last few issues.

As for the OP, I can see that the vintage stamping style has gone out of style...shabby chic is on it's way out and people are looking for cleaner looking images. But I would love it if you could move Stamper's Sampler back to what it used to be: a SAMPLING of the different styles of artwork out there, not just one or mostly one kind.
Gosh, JanTink took the words right out of my fingertips! I actually still do buy Take Ten, but there was one issue recently that almost seemed like an issue of Stampers Sampler and I didn't buy it. I decided to not subscribe at that time and just buy the issues that I liked.

My personal favorite style is more clean vs the collage style. I do enjoy seeing cards with layers and embellishments along with one-layer cards and some shabby chic cards. I would love to see a sampling of all of the various styles in Stamper Sampler as JanTink noted instead of pages of collage type cards (art dolls,wings, pointy hats and crowns, etc.).

Seeing all of the various types of stamping encourages me to branch out and try new things.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

I really think this is all great and valuable information. I was on Splitcoast months before my promotion, just for personal pleasure. When I was promoted, I thought to myself, "I can't wait to use all my Splitcoast gals in the magazines!" There really is a wide variety out there, and naturally it is subjective. What one person loves, another may not be so fond of, and vice versa. I'd love to be able to pick all the art out myself, but that is all decided upon by the publisher. Ultimately, coming here allows me to say to her, "This is what the readers do/do not want to see." Because really, it is all about you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #47  
Mad Swapper

Flourishes, swirls, embellished die cuts, (Cricut, Sizzix, Cuttlebug) bling, worn look (daisy d, basic grey, etc.) and I really think that digi scrapping is going to take off. I am seeing more people trying it and getting hooked. There are also more places springing up that are selling up that are selling digital scrapbooking kits that are truly amazing. Hybrid scrapbooking is also gaining more interest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,015 Likes on 869 Posts
Default what I like

I like more traditional cards....I am a bit silly- love funny sentiments. Love the designed paper on cards- in moderation....... I do think I look at cards and wonder how some with lots of layers fit into their envelope.......... I love cards with different techniques, and finally, cards that really take only 10 minutes.........

Thanks for asking!

Shelly Schmidt
Reply With Quote Likes