Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #41  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way... somewhere out there on the net is a rubber stamp that says... "If you think I stamped this card because I'm too cheap to buy one, then you haven't seen the price of rubber stamps lately."

GarnetJ, do you have any idea who makes this stamp. I would love to get it!
Sherry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

i usually do not get any reaction. i think it is because it is not popular at all in germany. And when i talk with my friends or family they dont think about to tell me what a nice card they got we chat about other things.

my mom though thinks everthing is just done in 5 minutes. the other day she made a comment that made me really angry. it is not that i just sit down here and do not have anything else to do with two little kids and no scrapplace. it almost takes me more time to get everthing set up keep the kids out of the suff and clean everything up than stamping.

i love getting handmade stuff.... it really shows that people go take the time and do something for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2006, 08:31 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneff
By the way... somewhere out there on the net is a rubber stamp that says... "If you think I stamped this card because I'm too cheap to buy one, then you haven't seen the price of rubber stamps lately."

GarnetJ, do you have any idea who makes this stamp. I would love to get it!
Sherry
right a lot of people think it is soooo much cheaper to do it yourself than buying ahahahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2006, 01:25 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

Interesting thread, I have enjoyed reading all the responses. For me, crafting is therapy..scrapping, stamping, beading, cross stitch, etc...
I make all my cards now..holiday, bday, etc. Everone in my family is artistic or crafty..my brother is an artist and draws his cards, my sister and Mom have been making them on the computer for many years..my family and most of my friends appreciate and many make comments about the cards..and while I like positive feedback, I really do it for myself. I get a lot of hand made cards..don't keep tham all..just from my immediate family, and those that I really like..but i do really appreciate the effort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2006, 05:14 AM   #45  
Stampin' Fool

I Love making cards. Some people can't wait to get the homemade card.My MIL has a weekly lunch group so they don't stay cooped up in the house and she always takes a new card, my SIL who is in Omaha is going through the last stages of chemo., and has any homemade card up for her to see. I think most people appreciate them, they just don't just don't tell, that's what I tell myself anyway.
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2006, 06:48 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

It's funny, this year I recurited a couple of women at work and we made 120 birthday cards-one for each person in the office. The guys are all over them, especially the engineers that get cards that move. I actually had one (just out of school and barely old enough to work) that insisted on having a certain card when it was his birthday!

My husband also loves what I make for him but he usually gives them back to me because he knows I'm going to eventually take them back for my sample basket anyway!

Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #47  
Hardware Hotshot

I have enjoyed this thread SO much!! It has inspired me to spend more time making cards, and less time online!

Let's see...my father in law is actually one of my more appreciative of my cards and scrapbooks. Although, he once asked me if I could "whip up" a scrapbook for him from this large box of pictures!! NO idea about the time involved!
My sister in law is WAY into scrapbooking, and makes cards 'sometimes,' but she never says 'thank you' or anything about the cards I make. I have found out a few times that my brother had them buried on his desk, and she never saw them!!
And finally, the BEST crafty gift I ever gave was when I'd only been scrapbooking a couple of years, and I didn't know about stamps yet. I made some copies of some childhood pictures that my mother had of my brother and me and made a small scrapbook for my dad. See, dad got custody of us when I was 6, and he didn't have ANY pictures of us before that time. Mom wouldn't share. So, I took a ton of pictures of us when we were young, and gave it to him. He looked at a few pages, then quietly said, "I'll look at this later." He was choked up, and didn't want anybody to see him get tearyeyed!! Later he told me how much he appreciated it, and how much he likes my scrapbooking, and how he hopes I keep doing it. From my dad, that is HUGE!!!

Thanks to all who contributed so much to this thread. It was SO nice to read all of the positives!! (I just ignore those negatives!)

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

I think for the most part people appreciate them even if they don't know how much work is involved. I just recently was talking to someone I sent a Christmas card to and she didn't know I had made the card. She told me she had kept it because it was so beautiful and I told her that was a nice compliment because they were a lot of work to make and her eyes got so wide because she didn't know!

I personally love getting stuff like that because I know how much work is involved and it makes me happy that someone took the time and the care to make me something rather than going out to buy a generic card (or gift) at the big box retailer next door.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #49  
Kookie Creator

I don't think my cards are especially wonderful, and yet they are warmly received. As a matter of fact, a male friend of ours called my husband's cell the other day to get our home number since he was flying ( can you say private jet?) He is a venture capitalist and can afford any card he wants. He took the time to call me and thank me for the card. when they moved last year they wanted me to make their change of address notifications, but I was too afraid to do it. Don't want to get into the business end of card making, and have friends say they liked something if they really didn't.

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets through. Leonard Cohen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

bedazzled by life- love you sig. quote, that says it all.

Just wanted to add that I know a woman in town who has a SIL who is an SU demo. My friend in town doesn't get along well with SIL. She said to me that the SIL will send her kids (the demo's nieces) "keepsake quality" cards but my friend doesn't keep them because they are just simply signed quickly rather than a personalized note written in them. It would mean more to her if this Aunt actually had a relationship with her nieces so she had something meaningful to write in the card when she sends them. My friend is the type who would keep a special card & would appreciate the handstamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Perhaps it is a reflection on my paper crafting, but my experience has been -- lukewarm!!
I don't know what you're talking about. I just looked at your gallery and your cards are great!!! I just think some people don't appreciate beautiful handmade cards. Those people get store bought! I do have a friend who keeps all the cards she's received from me in a special album. Talk about appreciation. She gets a handmade card for any and every occasion!:razz:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!
Cool ...other than that stamp thing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush'd Lady
Is stamping and crafting in general, your "therapy", like it is mine?
It absolutely is. I laugh when people ask what my hobby is and then they add "other than that stamp thing"... Stamp thing? Why can't this be a legitimate hobby? Do I have to like gardening or skiing or something else? Sometimes I'm confused by that. <laughs>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2006, 11:09 PM   #53  
Kookie Creator

I was reading all these posts and was starting to feel disillusioned and confused.. What if nobody really likes any of the stuff I do and they are just being nice or humouring me? So I had a long chat with my partner about it to put it all back into perspective.

Most people I know understand that I have to be doing something creative. It's my way of "escaping reality" or "therapy" as some of you have said. I get so much enjoyment from creating. Stamping & paper craft is a fairly new outlet for me and I was actually truly surprised by how addictive it is.

I know most people really appreciate their personal cards. I know of some people who have kept theirs on display. My mum and my sister and another friend of mine "commissioned" me to make them Christmas cards last year and I know that my sister wants me to make her more this year.

I also do pottery and pastel paintings and my MIL has a pastel portrait that I did of my partner. She framed it and hung it on her wall which is a HUGE honour as she is a professional artist.

All of my friends and family have something that I've made on display! Especially my pottery!

My sister and my foster mother both love me to email them pictures of drawings/paintings/pottery/cards that I make. My sister saves them all. My foster mother prints them out and shows everyone.

My next door neighbour doesn't keep any cards but she kept the one I gave her for her birthday. I told her that I didn't mind if she didn't keep it because it was a "practice" one (which was true because I knew that she doesn't keep cards)... I also put a little pocket card in it with magnet tape on the back and little voucher on the inside for my childminding services and she popped it on her magnet free fridge and it's still there - the only thing on her fridge!

Anyways, that just some of my experience with my "arty/crafty" stuff.

If anybody is interested, here's the link to some of my painting/pottery...
http://home.exetel.com.au/tracy/
but please ignore my early card making attempts. I'm getting much better - I promise!

~*Tracy*~
Australian SU! Demo #37 (Apr '06)
Turn your face to the sun & the shadows fall behind you ~ Proverb
My Itty Bitty Gallery
Can you believe it? I now have my own blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2006, 06:10 AM   #54  
Stampin' Fool

I am new to this site, forgive me if I mess this up!
I love to give and receive cards, that is all that matters to me.
I love the ideas on here about giving sets of cards as a a gift..... I never thought of that. ( I am new to stampin.... ) Thanks for all the great ideas!! I love this site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #55  
Mad Swapper

Default what people really think

I think the friends and family who understand it's your passion, even if they aren't into it themselves, appreciate it. Then of course there are the people who just don't care what kind of card you give them - handmade or store bought.

My SCS gallery: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...00&ppuser=8965
My Webshots gallery: http://client.webshots.com/user/tbenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey! Mama K. I got you beat...My DIL asked me to make Grand-daughter's birthday invites because the ones at Walmart were 10 cards for $3.00 (30 cents each!) I made the invites (25 of them) and then she never even sent them out. She handed a few out at the party after my Step-son's mother had raved to her sister how cute they were.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

My mom loves my handmade cards - she asks for them for birthdays, Christmas, Mother's Day.

On the other hand, my sister (who is a scrapbooker, by the way, and should know how much work goes into these things, THREW AWAY a cute gift card holder I made for her (the one that you pull up on the ribbon to make the card come out). I was so mad :???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember the first time I wrapped a gift in stamped brown wrapping paper at Christmas. My MIL offered to go buy me some gift wrap because she thot I was too poor to buy myself some and thot I was recycling to save money. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

I myself love getting them and it makes my day to get one in the mail i add it to my box and show them to everyone who i see each time they come , I myself making them and sending them out I do it often and its about a 50 /50 thing soemtimes you'll get a reaction sometimes you wont . i just enjoy doing it and will continue no matter what .now the hand crafted gifts such as paint cans, coasters, etc , i have had a great feedback on it really makes my day to go somewere i have sent a card and to see it displayed. Well its kinda like anything else in life you win some and you lose some . I no longer visit the card isles at walmart or any stores , this is my new way of life and my kids think its cool so that's enough for me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 PM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

It depends on the person. If someone is looking for the 'Hallmark' signature on the back - they won't appreciate it. To me, personally, I LOVE something hand made - even if it's ugly or doesn't look good. You know the person put some TIME and THOUGHT into the card. My parents have saved everyone of my cards I have made them - and some of them are very UGLY and REALLY don't look so good!! But they love them all!! My nieces - 8 and 5 sent me hand made birthday invites, and I LOVED the fact that on one of them, they messed up and covered it up!!! It shows that they are thinking and using their creative mind. And to me, that is so much MORE important than a manufactured card!!!

So, if someone doesn't like it - too bad for them. They can't appreciate something unless it has a designer label on it and they are loosing out. It's their loss not yours. Don't expect everyone to react to your creations the way you or someone who would appreciate them would. We know what it takes, even if they don't!!! ;)

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Most people I give cards to appreciate, but there are some that could care less. Although it does make me feel good that my father will ask me to make a card for someone instead of going out to buy one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

one thing also like koda's mom said i love getting those phone calls that say can you make me a card for sowenso , and i'll pay you . Or can you make invites for me and people ooh and ahh over them its so much fun to get the praise all though there will be those who are all about the name brand but to them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a mixture of reactions.

MY family is a family of artists and seamstresses, so they totally "get" the amount of time and energy put into it, so they are always very warmly received by them. Except for the younger crowd, my nieces and nephews though lots of fun to be around, unfortunately my sister did not teach them any manners whatsoever about the process of letting anyone know you 1) received a gift and 2) thank them for it when I send it for any holiday or event.

My HUSBAND's family, on the other hand, is another story. They roll their eyes at the time I put into stuff and say they have no time for stuff like that, however they think nothing of spending an entire day cooking and baking for every holiday gathering. MIL doesn't get anything handmade anymore; the photos I frame and give her get put on a bureau she doesn't have "time" to hang them up. THe cards I did for her once she threw on the counter and didn't even open up the bag they were in. SOO

My family -- yep, they get stuff, they love it.
DH family -- nope, they get cards from the dollar store, LOL.

Dayna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiafromGermany
i usually do not get any reaction. i think it is because it is not popular at all in germany. And when i talk with my friends or family they dont think about to tell me what a nice card they got we chat about other things.

my mom though thinks everthing is just done in 5 minutes. the other day she made a comment that made me really angry. it is not that i just sit down here and do not have anything else to do with two little kids and no scrapplace. it almost takes me more time to get everthing set up keep the kids out of the suff and clean everything up than stamping.

i love getting handmade stuff.... it really shows that people go take the time and do something for you.

I know what you mean about the 5-minute thing. I have a friend that wanted invites for her 2 year old Bday and I said sure, thinking probably 5 or 6 of them and she leaves me a voicemail telling me she needs 37 -- ok then she calls 2 days later and asks are they done yet. I was like NO and you best go to Walmart cause now I am just annoyed with you to think I can do something like that in 2 days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #65  
Glitter Queen

Wink mixed reviews....

Most people that get my cards don't even say anything..... :rolleyes:
That's why I love to send my cards to other paper crafters and of course my number one fan. Mommy.... she loves them all and keeps them in a album. ;)

Showed my best buddy how to stamp and a tech. last weekend , she about flipped....said way to much time to make. I told her well, appreciate them when she gets them.....she says she does and always flips them over to see if I made it for her!! So, maybe some folks don't say anything.

I say,when you care enough, you send a hand stamped card!!! :cool: Not a Halmark!!

and the ones that don't care should really be getting store bought, unless you have a bundle already stamped up! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Talking YES! YES! AND YES!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush'd Lady
Is stamping and crafting in general, your "therapy", like it is mine?
How funny to read your comment? I just said to someone the other day that I rationalize my love for stamping and crafting by thinking: I can either pay for my crafting and stamping or pay for a therapist. I prefer to invest in my crafting and stamping especially when I can make someone else's day with one of my creations. So I get double!
Reply With Quote Likes