Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What R your first steps in making a card??

Hi, I am relatively new to cardmaking (well, about a year!) and find I am still casing too many other people's cards rather than creating my own.

I decided that I would start by doing a sketch challenge but was immediately stumped by what colour combinations (I don't always like the suggestions on the wheel) so ..

When you decide to make a card, what motivates you and how do U start - by designing ? by colours - and what tips do U have for selecting colours? Should I be doing colour challenges first, then sketch challenges?

Hope you can understand what I'm asking - and thanks, because I know I will get a lot of fabulous ideas here!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 03:50 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's not a "right" way to do this, so please don't fret! I CASEed cards for years and still do, but just in the last year or so have felt a bit more comfortable doing my own thing--which just means I've internalized all the stuff I've been copying and looking at for years to the point where it is all starting to make sense. Been stamping for seven years...I'm a slow learner, LOL! Here are some ideas that might help.

--I don't usually like the color wheel either, and find better color inspiration from photos in magazines, catalogs (Pottery Barn is awesome!), calendars, Mother Nature, home decor, and so forth. There's also a great color combo site started by a member here but I've lost the link! Yikes! I hope someone posts it for us!

--Color challenges are great and expose you to combos you might never have thought of but fall in love with.

--Try combining a color challenge and sketch challenge in one card.

--I found that when I quit fretting and loosened up, I had more fun and was happier with what I made.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 04:09 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

My first steps to starting a card are picking the stamp set, then I go for color, then I figure out a sketch. Then there are times when I know the color combo I want to work with first.
When I first started doing challenges, I started out with color challenges. I think it was just beacuse I was loving all the cards that day posted in the gallery so I was curious and stumbled upon the Tuesday Color challenge.
There is no right or wrong way. I get my inspiration everwhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 04:26 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have to agree with Susan and Lisa - there's no right or wrong way to do this.

For me, I set myself a challenge one week - do EVERY challenge posted that week. Whilst colour and sketch are two vital aspects of any cards, I was finding that the other challenges forced me to think up my own colour combos and sketches. The inspiration challenge, for example, is perfect for this.

And as far as CASEing goes, I think we all do that in varying degrees - regardless of how long we've been stamping!!!! And why wouldn't we with all the fantastic creations on this site provided to us by lots of talented ladies.

Good luck with your creations and above all ENJOY yourself!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I think that I have ever cased just one card! *LOL*.
I just get inspired by the stamped images. I pick whatever image feels like the one and I colour it. Then I start looking for things to match it.. paper etc.

Now I have also started doing to card sketches from #1 onwards. I am going to do them all! That might be something fun for you!

And don't worry about the colours. Go for the colours you LOVE!

--------------------
Please, stop by my BLOG and say hello! *smile*.
I Love little bird/chick stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 04:37 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

First , let me encourage you that CASEing work that you admire is a great way to learn.
I have various ways that I begin my cards now - sometimes it is a challenge I give myself like: make a card using the chipboard circle. Lately I've begun by wanting to use a new set or to create something using colors that have inspired me in a catalog or on clothing. Sometimes I am suprprised to find an idea for a card already in my head for a day or two and then I can't wait to make it!

At first, I found sketch challenges to be the biggest help so I would try those, especially ones that use uncluttered layouts. Another tool not to forget is the SU! catalog itself which has so many great layout samples. You can choose a color combo from any of the pages too! Try looking at the pages for the idea but once you have it then close the book. Make sure you keep it fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 04:46 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with Cindy that the sketch challenges are a great help in getting started. I find that if I pick a sketch first I know what size image/s I'll need to work with that sketch - so then I pick my stamps/die cuts or embellies, and then the colour scheme comes next.

As others have said, get inspiration from everywhere - and HAVE FUN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I start with who the card is for and the purpose/theme of the card. Then choose the type of papers I will need.....card stock, image paper, message paper, embellishment paper, etc. Then the colors for the stamp or die cuts I will make to create that theme. The colors are chosen based on what the purpose/theme is and also the colors the receiver is most likely to appreciate (obviously keeping in mind the cover graphic).

I'm not sure what "casing" a card means, but if you mean seeng a card you like and using that as an example, that's fine if it fits what you're doing. Certainly you would not try to create that card exactly.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I don't think I would have grown as a stamper had I not CASE'd cards along the way. Sometimes it would be a layout, color combo, element on a card etc.

It all depends on the day how I start. Sometimes I'll decided I want to work with a certain designer series paper and I'll pull my color scheme from that. Sometimes I'll see a sketch I just have to try. Other times I just want to use a particular stamp.

When I don't know where to start I'll often just start by stamping my image on a main image panel and I'll mat it to see how it will look on the front of a card.

There is no right or wrong way to do it. I have found that doing the challenges here on SCS are a great way to start. You can even pick one of the color combos and put it together with one of the sketch challenges. Once you start stamping you won't want to stop! It's a daily obsession for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually start with a weekly challenge.

If I'm not starting with a challenge, I begin with a layout first. Then colors. Embellishments last. Balance is key... so if a sentiment fits naturally, I add it. If it messes up the balance, I don't mind leaving it off. The inside of the card will be written in anyway.

If colors are your hardest part, go back to the old color challenges and choose a favorite color combo. See what comes of it? It will be fun!

Last edited by CardFanatic; 01-26-2008 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

CASEing is a great way to start a card! Eventually you'll change a little bit here and there. Subsitute because you don't have exactly everything you see in the original card. Before you know it, you have your own creation inspired by something else you saw.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

So for me.

I usually have a sketch idea in mind.

Then for colors I try to start with patern paper if I plan to use it. Then I pull the paper out and color my image. Then pull some cardstock to go with it and put it all together like the sketch I have in mind.

I used to just color my image first but it was a mess because then i'd want to use patern paper and not have any that went with my colored image. FINALLY I've broken the habbit and now pick colors carefully before coloring. Coloring is my favorite part.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

First it has to "percolate" for hours or days or weeks. Now I am "I really should be working on Valentines.... hmm
wonder where this is?? Oh I found some other stamps I forgot. Hmm. don't feel like stamping today, Hmm check the gallery > that is a cute card, maybe I need to SHOP.
So in another week, maybe I will start dragging out red and pink and lavender paper and throw on some images and see where that takes me, OH! remember I wanted to do an acetate card at Christmas and didn't have time.. Now where did I put that acetate. Ok find the stayzon and revise plan #389. Stop and clean up a little because it is dinner time.

Finally I have some images stamped and can color watching tv. and along about five days before Valentine's day, I can assemble and worry will there be time to mail and receive on time, vowing to "start earlier" next time..

THAT is how I make a card!

Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I am SO opposite of most people who have relpied. I don't have a huge supply of stamps and supplies so I use a lot of decorative paper. I let the paper be my inspiration on the color combo. Then I choose what stamps will look good with that. I will embelish last to add a little something to areas I am not happy with or need something extra. I so wish I had more supplies but have to keep it all in moderation!!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I do ALL of the above,
lots of inspiration here! I adapt a sketch to what I have on hand,
maybe turn the card to become vertical instead of horizontal, etc.
jusst make it your own, your friends will love getting a handmade creation made by you!
rule #1, also have fun,
gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It depends upon the day, sometimes I start with stamps first, then paper, other times I start w/theme (i.e. birthday, thank you, sympathy, etc), sometimes I start w/oh what a pretty paper combination and find a pretty stamp. Since I give my cards away, I create to please myself and don't have to "worry" about trying to match a card to a specific person. Oh yeah, sometimes I start w/learning a new technique like criss-cross cards, or waterfall cards.

One thing I've NEVER done is sketch out a card first. But I do write down dimensions and directions of how I make the card. HOWEVER, there is no right or wrong way to create a card, so do whatever you want in what ever order you want using what ever colors, papers, inks, embellishments, shapes, and sizes you want.
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may not find this a bit helpful...but first I have to drag myself away from the computer! I spend more of my available time checking things out here than I do making something new.

That being said, I do what everyone else does as they have been posting. Depends on the day. Sometimes Designer Paper just jumps out at me, sometimes a magazine card I notice. Sometimes an ideas has beenb floating around and I grab on to it before it disappears.

You will likely find you don't have a set routine either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

TO be honest I lift up my papercutter and see what cardstock I have under there that I can use. If I have a color of my taste that is where I start. Then I pick out what stamps I want and go from there. I always try to use scraps as I didlike cutting into a fresh peice of cardstock unless it is absolutely necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Thank you, thank you for your great ideas and the many many laughs I got out of them. You've all given me such a lot of good advice - as ever!
Reply With Quote Likes