Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink What should I not pack?

So DH and I are getting ready to move to New Mexico. We have opted to do a DITY (Do it Yourself) move rather then having the Army move us. I know, we're crazy, what can I say, we're glutten for punishment. LOL Actually it's partly because there are so many people moving around here right now we don't want to have to deal with transportation, but I digress.

Anyhow, I am needing to pack my craft area but I don't want to pack everything. I would like to leave some things unpacked till right before we move so I can still have things to use between now and then. I'm trying to figure out what to pack and what to leave out. We still have about 6 weeks before we move but I have health issues so I need to start now so I can take my time rather then frantically packing at the last minute. Hence why I need to pack my craft stuff. Clear as mud? ;)

What do you consider essentials? TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gotta love PCSing! :mrgreen: I would definitely keep out my paper trimmer and an assortment of cardstock as the bare essentials--I put 1-2 sheets of each color into one of those plastic paper holders from Michael's, the type that has a velcro closure on it. I also have one photo box that has basic tools in it--scissors, adhesive and refills, 1/16 and 1/8" handheld punches because I use them a lot, paper piercer and mat pack, things like that. Then keep out a few things that you think you'd be most likely to use over the next six weeks, a few stamp sets or whatever. I'd keep the "keep it out" pile small enough to fit in a small moving box or a Xerox box (I used to use Xerox boxes a lot to hold my stuff, I would take the empty boxes from my work when we finished off a case of paper). HTH and best of luck with your move! Hope that it's cooler by the time you're doing the hard work moving all the boxes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also, I hope you like New Mexico. I wouldn't mind living there sometime...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

cardstock White and coloured, ink pad black, colouring mediums (WC crayons) 3 all rounder stamp sets,

OR

You could leave out the new technique products that you haven't yet/rarely picked up and used because you revert to your old favourites. That will be an incentive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 04:29 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

small assortment of cs and scissors, trimmer, ink and coloring medium, adhesive and maybe 'some' ribbon....some simple all occasion stamp set, 2 or 3 maybe.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:14 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I think I'd pick a project like Christmas cards, or something and just leave out what you'll need for that. Pack the rest.

I have fond memories of PCS'ing. Did it 4 times in 18 months, twice cross-country. I'll never again do a DIY move. Love GBLs. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:53 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Having just moved myself, I would suggest leaving out cardstock and a stamp set that you can make "justed moved" cards and get them made up just before you pack your final box, and mail them out a day or two before you leave this way everyone has your new address. I hope that your move goes well and that you can get lots of help for loading and unloading, doing it yourself is a lot of work but in the end it is worth the effort because you know that everything is with you and you don't have to worry about something going missing. Good luck in your new home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 601 Likes on 245 Posts

You are so brave! I will never to a DIY move -- the other ones are enough work as it is. Seriously, I would make a bunch of cards now that you may need over the next few weeks then take your time and carefully pack and label everything, as you will be so busy! Good luck at your new duty station. We've been in this house exactly three years and I'm itching to move again. Go Navy! Beat Army!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for all the input ladies, you all mentioned things I hadn't thought of! Christy, I like your idea of the paper keeper thing. I even have a couple of those. I also like the idea of pulling out stuff that I will need for a particular project although I already have all of my Just Moved cards done. (Yup, I got ambitious) And I want new sets for Christmas cards (I have used the same ones for years, it's time for new ones. ;))

We are so excited about this move. We have been here for almost 5 years and are so ready to go. the only thing I am not looking forward to is the bugs, insects, and reptiles that we will find in NM. (read, spiders, scorpions and rattle snakes) blech! Hopefully it won't be too bad though. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

We did a DITY and loved it. At least I didn't have to worry about someone packing my trash!! We lost several things and they broke a couch on one of our last military moves.(DH is out now) Don't you just love having somewhere to go to ask for advice!!
Proud Angel #3898
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cramgalView Post
We did a DITY and loved it. At least I didn't have to worry about someone packing my trash!! We lost several things and they broke a couch on one of our last military moves.(DH is out now) Don't you just love having somewhere to go to ask for advice!!
OMGoodness! I thought I was the only one that ever had the movers try to do that LOL~ They also tried to pack my cat in her carrier two or three times. Poor kitty! I don't think she ever really recovered. And even though I told them repeatedly not to, my Atlanta Yellow Pages ended up going to Seattle with me. Not of much use there, of course.

I had a Mayflower GBL that was BAAAAAADDDDD, but every other GBL was awesome. Have fun in NM. I'd just about kill to move to AZ right now. I love the southwest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Red face

I'm in NM - are you going to be anywhere near me? Sorry, no help with the packing - I have never done a ditty move, just let the mil do it, makes my life easier

SCS memeber # 27799
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

You are a Brave Woman!! The last time we did a dity move(1992), I told my hubby atferwards, you can do the move yourself. I will meet you at the new house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by born_to_stampView Post
I'm in NM - are you going to be anywhere near me? Sorry, no help with the packing - I have never done a ditty move, just let the mil do it, makes my life easier
Actually yes, we are moving to White Sands. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Guess what? We just found out we are moving sooner! AGH!!! lol I'm actually excited, but frazzled. ;) We move in two and a half weeks instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm so glad hubby isn't military anymore.. our last DITY move to PA when he got out of the Army was a disaster. Somewhere in Ohio (fortunately the longest flattest road I've ever seen) the hydraulic breaks went out in the moving truck. We had the BIGGEST truck avaialable moving a 3 bdr house to PA. He rode basically for miles with no breaks trying to slow down the truck. Fortunately we stopped less than a quarter of a mile from UHAUL dealership - that was CLOSED.

The Hydraulic air line got chewed through by one of the belt pullies. The mount bolts basically sheared straight off the engine mount. I have pictures of this, and I have a scrapbook assortment of Uhaul stamps and such to stick it in our book - but somehow I just can't do it. I don't want to remember it happened. I'm pretty sure my husband who was driving it didn't want to either. I fortunately was in a little Nissan in front of him wondering what the heck he was doing .. apparently trying to slow the truck down.

back to the regular topic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrown8301View Post
Guess what? We just found out we are moving sooner! AGH!!! lol I'm actually excited, but frazzled. ;) We move in two and a half weeks instead.
Makes your decision easier - pack it all.

One suggestion though - when you pack your ink pads, rubber band them or tape them. esp if you think they might be stored for awhile. Things shift and ink pads open.

Good luck on your move.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by s_anthonyView Post
Makes your decision easier - pack it all.

One suggestion though - when you pack your ink pads, rubber band them or tape them. esp if you think they might be stored for awhile. Things shift and ink pads open.

Good luck on your move.
That's a good idea. I have mostly SU pads that shouldn't open, but you never know. LOL But I also have my spectrum pads and some other pads that would come open easily if jarred at all. Thanks for the suggestion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 12:49 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Hey Sharon...

I just found this.... I am SO happy for you getting a "new house".... You take care and dont overdue it... it's NEVER to late to wave the white flag you know!!! Just pack the craft stuff yourself and take it with you, and leave a note on the table for the movers....;)
Reply With Quote Likes