Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to be hobby demo, and it just got to be too much money...regardless of how much everyone jokes about it, I don't really think it is worth spending $300 toward frivolous stuff when you have a family that needs to eat and not run around nekkid! :mrgreen:

Also, it just wasn't fun to me anymore...it became more of a "job" (even though I was only a hobby demo) instead of an "escape" and that I hated! I agree with the above poster that SU is very secretive about certain aspects of the business and that disgusted me.

Plus, if everyone signs up as a demo, who will be the customers??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #42  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maisey-Moo
For me, it's the quarterly minimum. I would be more interested in TAC since their minimum is $75 per quarter.
TAC's minimum is $100.00 per quater.
$25.00 a month...How cool is that.

I would like to add to this form.
Some People are not called to be a Demo!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2
TAC's minimum is $100.00 per quater.
$25.00 a month...How cool is that.

I would like to add to this form.
Some People are not called to be a Demo!
I can afford $300 per year just for my own personal purchases, but I cannot afford the stress of meeting $300 per quarter especially when I know of 4 other SU Demos that are fighting for customers.

Last edited by Maisey-Moo; 05-04-2006 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

I didn't get a chance to read everyone elses responses so maybe this is a repeat. Aside from budget issues (I can't spend that much on stamps) I don't want my favorite hobby to become a job to me. I LOVE to stamp... it is relaxing to me and I love the creative outlet and the fact that I can give what I make away to brighten someone elses day BUT if I became a demo there are a lot of aspects that would become tedious and stressful and then I would have tainted my favorite hobby. That's my 2 cents
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for starting this thread, I have enjoyed reading all the responses and different prespectives.
I for some reason have a huge desire to become a demo in as much as this may sound crazy---so that I could be a demo to myself and to serve my needs as a customer. If for example I have the desire for a certain type of workshop or technique I could give that workshop to myself and not have to wait and wonder what a demo might offer from month to month. Also, I would like to have access to products myself and not have to rely on a consultant to get them for me. I could be in control of my ordering. I hope this makes sense.
The main reason that holds me back is to be able to make the $300.00/quarter purchases. I do not have family or friends that have even a small interest in stamping, scrapbooking as I do. It would be tough to build a customer base. It seems in direct sales your success is based on purchases made by others. You really are depending on others to make it work. Hope I do not receive any flames for this.
So it comes down to I'm basically a "demo want-a-be" but money holds me back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #46  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maisey-Moo
I can afford $300 per year just for my own personal purchases, but I cannot afford the stress of meeting $300 per quarter especially when I know of 4 other SU Demos that are fighting for customers.
That's fine...If you can't afford $300 per year or $300 per Quater.

I was just letting you know that it's only $100.00 every 4 months with TAC.

Not everyone is called to be a Demo.
There has be some customer's out there for those that DO want to be a Demo.

If you became a Demo for TAC you would get a 30% off discount on your personal stamps. and a 40% off once a year for your Birthday on Stamps only!
I could not afford $300 per Quater with SU,
That's one reason I went with TAC....Because of the low minimums. Which I don't have any problem with.
Key point is I Love Stamping!!!!!!

And I like making a Money to buy more Stamps with.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2
I was just letting you know that it's only $100.00 every 4 months with TAC. If you became a Demo for TAC you would get a 30% off discount on your personal stamps. and a 40% off once a year for your Birthday on Stamps onlyAnd I like making a Money to buy more Stamps with.
Thanks for posting! I'm so happy now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #48  
Glitter Guru

CTMH has a Jr Consultant program that requires $100 in retail sales per year, Initially one signs as an active consultant, but if you fall below the minimums there is the Jr program to fall back on - it is nice for those who just want to hobby demo

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #49  
Crimping Master

I have been "one the fence" for quite some time...although I'm thanking about signing up when the big catalog comes out. I love the product, it's the $300/qtr. quota that has me a bit nervous. Also the starter kit. I have a TON of SU stuff. I don't need a starter kit. Now if I could pick and choose whatever I want in my starter kit, that might make the difference. I also have issues with the high shipping rates. I think 10% shipping is ridiculously high! I used to sell Home Interiors and the discount was 40%. So the 20% discount for demo's isn't that much of an incentive for me to sign up. I spend a lot on SU every year. In fact, I'd probably be shocked if I actually had the nerve to add it up! So in the long run, it would probably pay for me to sign up. I guess it's just whether or not I'm willing to committ.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #50  

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoboysandagirl
I have been "one the fence" for quite some time...although I'm thanking about signing up when the big catalog comes out. I love the product, it's the $300/qtr. quota that has me a bit nervous. Also the starter kit. I have a TON of SU stuff. I don't need a starter kit. Now if I could pick and choose whatever I want in my starter kit, that might make the difference. I also have issues with the high shipping rates. I think 10% shipping is ridiculously high! I used to sell Home Interiors and the discount was 40%. So the 20% discount for demo's isn't that much of an incentive for me to sign up. I spend a lot on SU every year. In fact, I'd probably be shocked if I actually had the nerve to add it up! So in the long run, it would probably pay for me to sign up. I guess it's just whether or not I'm willing to committ.

Well, I'm taking the plunge in July. I figured that I can change a few things in the kit to suit me and the rest I can either sell or use for workshops should I decide to do that. I'm originally thinking of going the hobby route with a few friends to help! It's a little intimidating starting your own business ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazG
...the poor reflection of Canadian exchange rate.

With 91 Canadian cents to 1 US dollar you'd think that the Canadian quarterly quota would be closer to $330 rather than $450 Canadian (this is $406 US Dollars today). I am easily spending $300 US dollars but probably not $400 US Dollars per quarter. I don't see why Canadian demos should have to sell 30% more product to stay active (I also note there is no junior status).

The prices in the catalog also reflect this same exchange rate (being 50% higher than their US counterpart). It is much cheaper for me to buy all my stamps/supplies on ebay and to pay shipping to bring them up to Canada. I only purchase things I can't find from my demo.

I understand that the catalog is only produced once a year, and that policies cannot be changed frequently, but it has been some years since Canada had a 60 cent dollar and has NEVER had a 50 cent dollar.
Agreed! Big factor for me!!! Plus I probably couldn't make the minimums, and I like being able to do, and use, what I want. The discount would be nice, but yeah, probably not worth the hassle. Although I'm trying to figure out a way to make it worth it for tax purposes.... I'm going to wait and see what the comparison is like CAD/US when the new catty comes out, and that will have a LOT to do with how much product I'm buying from them, period, let alone whether or not I become a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #52  
Mad Swapper

I stamp for me and I use whatever I want whenever I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #53  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksullivan
Well some people are just customers and customers are needed, so don't knock the customer people, we really can't all be demos.

K
No one is knocking customers! Holy cow, where'd that idea come from? I am trying to determine what some stumbling blocks are out there in the general population to help me become a better demonstrator. If I didn't have great customers, who I adore, I would have zero business. I am just really trying to get a feel for what motivates someone to NOT sign up. Not to make any judgment on it -- but to help me overcome obstacles by anticipating them. If I ask everyone on here this question and, later, my customer repeats the same reason why she can't do it at this time, then I'm ahead of the game if I'm not scratching my head thinking "ah ha...." I am just trying to do some research on my own mostly out of curiosity and also to help me formulate a better business plan. We all have such different outlooks on life (we meaning people in general) and this forum is awesome to provide many different viewpoints to a question.

Believe me, being a customer is a perfect thing to be from a demo standpoint! I don't know any demo who doesn't thank her lucky stars every day for her wonderful customer base .

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #54  
Mad Swapper

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Stamper
Hi,

I'm sort of new to SCS. I've been a demo almost 4 years. If you're not a demo (which is why I'm posting here), I'm curious as to why you might be so into stamping and scrapping and why you aren't signing up? If you buy anywhere close to $300 per quarter, or have friends that can help you buy that amount, why aren't you signing up?
I'm repeating part of my initial thread to sort of steer this back to where I began. This question is NOT intended for anyone who cannot afford to buy her own $300 worth. My question, initially, made that point specifically. I am asking only those people who are big customers (you know who you are) what prevents signing up. I don't know if my distinction was clear enough the first time. If someone can't afford the risk of having to buy $300 per quarter, then it's obvious to me why they can't sign up. They can't afford to - simple as that.

Again, my question was directed to those gals who can buy $300 per quarter OR who have a ton of friends who help them place large orders.

I'd like to redirect my question back to where I intended it to go and see if anyone else out there has anything to add???

Thanks in advance -- I love the responses so far. Has given me things to think about that I had not considered. And that was the whole point of this thread!

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Perhaps it's the "committment" part that turn some away. They'd rather buy at will and not have to worry about meeting a quarterly minimum, especially if there's an unexpected expense that pops up like a car repair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #56  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Okay, I'm a hobby demo, but I have a reason why it took me so long to sign up. I didn't know that you didn't "have" to do demos! I didn't realize for a long time, that I could be a demo without demo-ing. Then, it was a matter of learning stuff, I didn't feel confident that I could learn without someone teaching me.

Now I'm glad I did, because I was definitely spending enough. I have one friend that orders with me, and we share the discount. We get together to try new things, too - sometimes it's cards from the SCS pages, sometimes it's a new technique from the Technique Junkies newsletter.

But yeah, that might be part of why people who ARE SPENDING the money already, don't sign up.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Why I am not a SU demo

I have considered many times to cross the fence of being a customer to becoming a demo. I love the products and feel the quality of many items, like the ink and cardstock, is better than what is offered at the hobby stores. However, I love using my 40% off coupons at the hobby stores and would not pay the SU price (even with a 20% discount) for the same or comparable product that I could get down the street for 40% off and not have to pay shipping. I think SU�s shipping charge is too high.

The SU 20% discount hasn�t been enough to entice me to cross that fence. I too am a Home Interior consultant and their discount is 40%, plus an additional 25% off monthly new merchandise and the shipping is much more reasonable and even free on a $450 order. After having those advantages, I just cannot see myself committing to a company that won�t come close to offering the same benefits. Also, with Home Interiors you can design your own starter kit to suit your taste and your own decorating needs. After analyzing the SU starter kit, I know I would be spending money on merchandise that would duplicate what I have and I also would be spending money on merchandise that I do not want or plan to use. So for now, it suits me better being a customer rather than a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyinfrisco
After analyzing the SU starter kit, I know I would be spending money on merchandise that would duplicate what I have and I also would be spending money on merchandise that I do not want or plan to use.
Apples and oranges. I don't need 5 of the same candlestick to show as a home interior reseller. But as a craft demo, it actually HELPS to have multiple scrubber pads, ink pads, even stamp sets! I have 2 scrubbers and am seriously thinking about getting a third so that I can rotate them out more often for deep cleaning. And I would actually love to have a set of pads I could use for workshops only and another set that are all mine. As it is, when I did a workshop for 16 last month, I had to borrow some pads so that everyone could stamp and would not be sitting there waiting for an hour!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #59  
Mad Swapper

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by danne4
I will no longer be a demo, I am in pending status. Why do I no longer want to be a demo?

Because I think it is sad that SU will put new products in a magazine before introducing the products to their own demonstrators. This totally baffles me. Why should I as a demo have to go track down a magazine to see what new products I can offer my customers.

My sponsor dropped off the fact of the earth the day I signed up.

The discount is no big deal, especially after shipping

I don't have to be tied to just SU. I can spend my $$ wherever I choose.

I'm tired of all the flower sets!!

I will not sign up again, but I will be a customer for someone.

And when I have negative comments about SU the SU cheerleaders track me down and stalk me!

Gotta go hide now... they are on the way...

Just my 2 cents worth.
Being a demo or selling anything MUST be right for YOU. I applaud your honesty and would not encourage anyone to chastise you for your honesty. It just didn't work out for you and there are things about SU that you didn't like. I'm a happy demo but am not going to go point by point defending SU. I agree with some of your points! Whoever gets you as their customer will be lucky

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyinfrisco
I have considered many times to cross the fence of being a customer to becoming a demo. I love the products and feel the quality of many items, like the ink and cardstock, is better than what is offered at the hobby stores. However, I love using my 40% off coupons at the hobby stores and would not pay the SU price (even with a 20% discount) for the same or comparable product that I could get down the street for 40% off and not have to pay shipping. I think SU�s shipping charge is too high.

The SU 20% discount hasn�t been enough to entice me to cross that fence. I too am a Home Interior consultant and their discount is 40%, plus an additional 25% off monthly new merchandise and the shipping is much more reasonable and even free on a $450 order. After having those advantages, I just cannot see myself committing to a company that won�t come close to offering the same benefits. Also, with Home Interiors you can design your own starter kit to suit your taste and your own decorating needs. After analyzing the SU starter kit, I know I would be spending money on merchandise that would duplicate what I have and I also would be spending money on merchandise that I do not want or plan to use. So for now, it suits me better being a customer rather than a demo.
Just a quick note to respond to 2 of your points:

If I can get something at Michael's with the 40% off coupon that SU also sells (the exact item), I get it at Michael's and tell my customers to do the same!

I have heard the comment about 20% being a low discount but I have to ask if the item that is generating a 40% discount is priced to absorb that discount? In other words, if my company is selling an item for $20 and I get 20% but your company is selling a similar item for $30 and I get 40% then we're close to the same place in the end. I had a friend who sold candles at a high retail price. Her profit was big but the price was high and that's who paid for it: the customer. I tend to be careful comparing percentages without talking about exactly what product is being sold and at what price. Does that make sense? Anyway, food for thought.

I love a healthy discussion, thanks!!!!!!!!!

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #61  
Mad Swapper

What in heaven's name is the matter with me? My % comparison was way off. I knew what I was saying in my head but when I put figures down I totally invalidated my theory! Help. What am I trying to say? If you know, can you fill in the blanks? Super duh. I'm tired.

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #62  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I love SU but...

I love not buying when I don't want anything!
I love using coupons for comparable stuff!
I love that I can talk about SU stuff without my friends feeling any pressure!
I love that I can dream about SU stuff without pressure on myself to buy!
I love my retired sets, and love using them!!!
Oh yea, I love not having to do the math. "Just tell me my total!"

(kinda like they said above, only more concise)
I can honestly say that I have personally turned at least 15 people on to stamping and Stampin Up products over the 11 years I've been stamping but I'm still glad I'm not a demo!
Enjoy, we'll keep comin to ya!!!

BTW Thanks for all you demo guys do for us! Thanks goodness there are those of you who actually want to do it! Bless you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #63  

Ha ha, I know what you mean about %-ages.

Here's my experience with Michael's. First of all, they are over-priced. I wanted a small xyron machine, priced it online, then took my 40% coupon to Michaels, and it was priced so high that my 40% off brought it only slightly under the "going rate."

I was also buying fancy fibers at Michael's, I love them. They were $6.99, so I'd use my 40% coupon but never got just ONE! So I paid full price for more. Imagine my surprise to find out that my Local Stamping Store sells the same fibers for less! (I think they were $5.99.)

Obviously, if I go to Michael's, I should stick to ONLY buying one item with the coupon! (ha ha, like that's possible!)

Anyway, it made me realize that you have to be careful.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #64  
Inking Addict

Question about being a hobby demo and meeting quota:

I understand that the quarterly quota is US $300. If I, as the demo, was the only one placing an order, would I have to spend $300 or would it be $240 to take into account the discount? Actually, that's not even correct. Could I order $300 worth of product but only spend $240 because of the discount? If I only have to spend 240 on 300 worth of product, how do tax & shipping work? Do I pay tax & shipping on 300 or on 240?

TIA,
Christie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #65  

Back to the OP, I've taken until now to decide to become a demo. I had tossed with the idea of becoming a Creative Memories consultant but thought it was too focused on one craft and I was moving to another province. I've been into SU for a while and keeping my demo up with her minimums and finally upped the courage to do it myself since she's letting it go. It's intimidating, for one thing. To say you'll sell something and find a way to do it is not that easy. You really have to be outgoing and firmly behind the product you sell. The quarterly minimum is also intimidating when looked at as one number rather than the $50 here and $75 there! I have so many interests that it is hard to focus on one. But, I do love SU and so will sell it! Maybe only for me and a few friends and I'm going to start a 10 for 10 in the fall to help keep the minimums and maybe slowly build a clientele. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #66  

Quote:

Originally Posted by christief

I understand that the quarterly quota is US $300. If I, as the demo, was the only one placing an order, would I have to spend $300 or would it be $240 to take into account the discount? Actually, that's not even correct. Could I order $300 worth of product but only spend $240 because of the discount? If I only have to spend 240 on 300 worth of product, how do tax & shipping work? Do I pay tax & shipping on 300 or on 240?

TIA,
Christie
As far as I'm aware, you pay the tax and shipping on the retail amount and take the discount (of the retail amount) off after ... So on $300, you'd add your tax and shipping and then subtract $60 after.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
Here's my experience with Michael's. First of all, they are over-priced.
Amen to that! I miss the old Leewards craft store, which was taken over by Michael's in my hometown way back in the early 90s. Their prices were so much better, and so was their product selection. IMO, Michael's wouldn't need to offer those 40% discount coupons every other week if their prices were more reasonable. Reminds me of the Haynes furniture store and their monthly blowout sales. :rolleyes:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #68  

Quote:

Originally Posted by christief

TIA,
Christie
I'm also a hobby demo. I only have to order $300 in retail (full price) each quarter. Then I take off the 20%, then add shipping and tax (8.25% here), so my total is just under $300.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Items purchased on a "demo" order are charged tax based on the discounted price. Not too sure about the s/h.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #70  

S&H seems to depend on where you live. Some states charge on the full amount (mine does), some also charge on the S&H (mine doesn't). Wait, I should qualify. My state charges on S&H on customer orders but not on demo orders. Is that weird, or what.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 10:41 PM   #71  
Matboard Maniac

Lack of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #72  
Forum Fanatic

I like to shop around, and receive emotional payoffs from finding variety, discovering the "unknown", and getting shipping ideally for free. SU has lots of cool things, but I don't think we'll ever see giant brads in the catty, frex. Plus, the company tends to give the same flavour to its supplies, while I like to see novelty items (ie. matchbook scrapbook kits a la Basic Grey ) and different takes on basic items. And, once I've looked through the IB&C, that feeling of the unknown is gone until the next mini comes out. Finally, shipping is 10% no matter what, except for that one time they had that special. If my craft budget had to be $300 per quarter, I would be a little chapped about having to pay $120 per year in shipping! (Especially because I *hates* UPS.)

That is just my take on demo-hood. I'm quite happy compiling my little list of SU must-haves and having the freedom to stamp for fun and family. Plus I am addicted to Distress Ink Pads!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 11:19 PM   #73  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by florascrap
Right now the only thing that is holding me back is waiting for one of two things:

1) A sign up special
2) The new catalog

Whichever one comes first.... I am hoping it is the sign up special, actually, so that I can get more FREE stuff!
Me too!

I can't wait to become a demo. I have a lot of the same concerns as most everyone else, but I'm still excited to give it a try. Once the new catalog comes out I'm all in. I don't know too many people in my area outside my stamp club, so I'm hoping this will not only give me some adult interaction, but allow me to fund my hobby and meet some new people.

My main peeve is the issue with not being able to use the retired sets, but I like the one idea of having stamp classes where you can use them.

Also, stamping is a hobby that not everyone can get into, so I think it would be harder to make it as a demo. It's not like having a tasting party for tupperware or pampered chef where you can get anyone interested who eats. Stamping only targets a select group of people who are crafty, like to craft, and are willing to spend lots of money doing it.

Check out my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 04:17 AM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
Apples and oranges. I don't need 5 of the same candlestick to show as a home interior reseller. But as a craft demo, it actually HELPS to have multiple scrubber pads, ink pads, even stamp sets! I have 2 scrubbers and am seriously thinking about getting a third so that I can rotate them out more often for deep cleaning. And I would actually love to have a set of pads I could use for workshops only and another set that are all mine. As it is, when I did a workshop for 16 last month, I had to borrow some pads so that everyone could stamp and would not be sitting there waiting for an hour!
Not if you're a hobby demo...it doesn't make sense to have duplicates if you don't do workshops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 04:31 AM   #75  
Crimping Master

I have read through this entire thread and have enjoyed seeing the many different responses.
I became a Demo over 4 years ago in sort of a different circumstance......
I had always wanted to but like many of you I was afraid to take the plunge, sort of unsure of myself(I had sold for other Direct Sales companies in the past...no luck, not good at it)and the quarterly minimum sort of scared me.

Well I had just hosted a SU party and about 2 weeks later I became very ill, had to have surgery to remove a very large tumor(22lbs before they finally removed it). It was hard to find a doctor that even wanted to atempt it. I became very depressed and wallowed in lots of self pity as it was very iffy if Iwas going to survive...yes ladies this is a true story...I lived it.

Anyway, I did have my surgery thanks to a miracle doctor(who must of had God standing along side of him) that not only cured me physically but emotionally as well. I came to believe that I had a whole new lease on life. I never realized how precious life really was till I almost lost mine. I thank God & Dr. Chang everyday when I am able to get out of bed every morning and see the sun rise. I don't sweat the small petty stuff any more.

Well I had a very long recovery period and when I got out of the hospital within 2 weeks I signed to be a demo, I couldn't even walk. Only God knows what I was thinking I couldn't even sit at a table for more than 10 minutes to stamp when my starter kit came.

I didn't work for 6 months so I devoted the time to my new business. I couldn't drive but through family & friends I was able to meet my minimums. I added what I needed to my starter kit & with their sales I made Stampin' Start. I was off from that point on and have not looked back since. SU is very special to me, it was a driving force that kept me going through the biggest trial of my life.

I have found that since I joined this company I have even more friends, the close bonds that I have formed is probly the best part of becoming a demo.

I used to spend more money in the craft stores before signing up, SU has saved me from frivalous spending and I could never get all the products come together like I can with SU. I was always piecing things together.

As far as the minimum in the begining all you need is one good customer to help you meet it. Most companies make your minimum on the wholesale amount, not the retail. I was going to sign up with a jewelry company but their minimum was $400 wholesale in a quarter, that meant I had to sell $800 in a quarter as there commission was 50%. I felt this was a bit too much for me and I consider SU's minimun is extremely low in comparison.

This has gottten way too long for what I'm trying to say.

If any of you have thought about taking the plunge, give it a try, be positive and give it your best shot. If you fail...at least you tried.

SU was literly a lifesaver for me, it changed me forever. Remember we are not always in control of what can happen to us in our lives.
Thanks for listening
Barbara
Member #4839

View My Gallery, PLEASE!:
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/bjthedj
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 05:07 AM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

I like things the way they are, I like my demo and her friends. I like going to her Stamp Club. I don't want to be in business, I just want to stamp.

I am not a "cute" stamp person, I like "art" stamps, and like stamps based on my preference, not what is popular or will sell. I want to select from thousands and thousands of stamps and not feel disloyal to the products in a single catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 05:33 AM   #77  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

Wow, Barbara - thanks for sharing.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 06:51 AM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
Not if you're a hobby demo...it doesn't make sense to have duplicates if you don't do workshops.
I AM a hobby demo. I do classes and workshops when I have time and only have about a dozen customers and only in my home. Discount demos don't do workshops, they are in it for the bennies of being a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
I would be a little chapped about having to pay $120 per year in shipping! (Especially because I *hates* UPS.)
Except that it's all tax deductible, which helps even things out a bit. Everything I buy is a tax write-off. Not to mention that even having a few customers who order now and then helps to pay for some of what I buy. I've done 3 workshops since November and made $220 in profit from those workshops. Based on the time putting the WS together and the time spent AT the workshop, I made $22/hour. Not too shabby for a part-time, once is a blue moon kinda thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 07:42 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have watched this thread with interest. ;)

Some of you have very valid reasons as to why NOT being a demonstrator is your preference.

By the same token, I am also observing a number of misconceptions that may be giving some folks reason to hesitate, even tho they DO want to become a demonstrator, and in some cases, I would guess a few have already determined not to become one based on one or more of these misconceptions?

If you are genuinely interested, but have concerns, I urge you to sit down with your demonstrator and get all the facts, to help you make a well-informed decision. I like seeing things outlined clearly in print, personally speaking, when I make a decision of this nature. I also prefer discussing it with someone who will provide me open, honest answers based on factual information, as opposed to offering me big signing "bonuses" and whatnot--but that's another topic for another day.

If your demonstrator cannot sit down with you and discuss it or is not interested in recruiting, perhaps she can refer you to her upline, or a fellow demonstrator.
Reply With Quote Likes