Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2004, 02:07 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a versatile set for a beginner?

I am going to my first SU party/workshop on Saturday and had a look through the catalog and made up a tentative order.

what would you recommend as a versatile, all occasions set for a beginner stamper?

I had my eye on A Greeting for All Reasons or Sketch It, but would welcome all suggestions, you don't have to pick between those two ;) Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

My first set was A Greeting for All Reasons. To this day, I don't regret making that my first set. Originally, I didn't see the big fuss about a floral set either. When people would post on here that a floral set is a must, I didn't agree. Well, now I do. So if you can get two sets, I'd get A Greeting for All Reasons and a floral set.

HTH,
C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 02:17 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

A Greeting for all Seasons was also one of my first sets. Another good one for a beginner is Mini Mates. You can do so much with that 1 set - birthday, wedding, baby, get well etc. Just my .02. Happy Stamping.

Karrie G.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Our crew has been using Sketch an Event a lot lately. It looks really good when used with versamark.

A greeting for all reasons is the classic first set, though. It has it all!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, I'd go for either Greetings Galore, or possibly Framed Greetings (FG is often overlooked, probably because the samples in the catalog for it don't "jump" out, but it's actually a very good one).

Greetings Galore can be mounted with the greetings separate from the graphics, thereby making it even more flexible. It covers a wide variety of occasions, and the leaf can be used for masculine designs. . .

In all honesty, I never liked A Greeting for All Reasons, but couldn't tell you why, as the styles among all 3 I've just mentioned closely resemble each other! :shock: I know, I'm weird that way.

Actually, I think it's because I prefer a cake over a candle for birthday images, and I like the wedding symbols of GG and FG over the wedding bells in AGFAR. Like I said, I'm weird that way . . . :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

:o I thought I was the only weird one !!! I agree with Julie...much prefer Greetings Galore !!! It's a great first time set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 04:55 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Mini Mates is great, and I always point this one out to beginners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 04:59 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a big fan of A Greeting For All Reasons! One of my favorite sets. I'm also a big fan of Spectrum pads!!!!

I'm so curious, I just have to ask...how did you find SCS? Are you new to stamping or just new to Stampin' Up?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 05:00 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I love the Little Hellos for versatility. Mine are mounted with the words separate on the ends of the blocks, and I use the words all the time even when I'm not using the picture part.

I also really like Lovely as a Tree and All Natural. You can make any kind of card with those sets just by varying the techniques used. My In Full Bloom just arrived today though, so that may soon be my fave.

HTH,

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I too am a big fan of "Little Hellos". I did the same thing with mounting the words on the side, and use them all the time...Sketch an Event is another VERY versitile set! I"m not a huge floral fan, in fact, I don't thing I even bought a floral till a year after I started stamping...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

Default Sets for beginners

I have been a demo for 6 1/2 years and one of my tried and true sets is Nice and Easy Notes! This has all the greetings for different occasions plus I use this as an example of pricing comparing it to the store-bought stamp prices. It's also a good set to use when you are using the marker directly to rubber technique. I show how wide-ranging it can be when you can color just the words that you need when you don't want the cute image. There's my 4 cents!!
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2004, 05:42 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I agree, I love Nice and Easy Notes. The name says it all. I'd get Itty Bitty Backgrounds to go with it. And a versamark too.

Feathered Friends is another easy one.

I do agree that the sets the others mentioned would be good as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami
I'm so curious, I just have to ask...how did you find SCS? Are you new to stamping or just new to Stampin' Up?
I went to the stamping top 50 and looked for sites with galleries, and here I am I am new to both stamping and Stampin' Up. Although I have worked with VersaMark and UTEE for scrapbooking purposes.

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone! You are very helpful! I have jotted them down and will take another peek at the catalog/idea book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 06:46 AM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Welcome to SCS!!! You've found a whole new world in stamping, Stampin' Up and SCS!!!! You're gonna love it all Be prepared for addiction!! :lol: :lol:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 06:49 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

In all honesty, I never liked A Greeting for All Reasons, but couldn't tell you why, as the styles among all 3 I've just mentioned closely resemble each other! :shock: I know, I'm weird that way.

Totally agree with Julie on this one, I actually bought this set thinking I would use it all the time. I 've only used it a couple of times, and each time I only used the butterfly from it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 07:18 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My first set was A greeting for all reasons & I still use it a lot. No one mentioned Something to Celebrate. I think that is good as you get birthday & baby, those are two biggies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 07:33 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would suggest taking your list of possibilities and checking out the gallery samples for each of them.

You probably already thought of that though

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 07:33 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have Greetings Galore and I mounted the sayings separate from the image. I like the versatility of using the "thinking of you" with something other than the leaf and the "thank you" with the flowers.
I can't say why but I never really liked AGFAR either... But I can't see me ever using the candle, or the bell. and I don't like those swirly things that are coming off the star...shrug.
And I reallllllly don't like good times. The images are cute BUT the price for those itty bitty stamps...it bugs me so now I don't buy it because I am boycotting it.
After Julie mentioned it(because after all Julie is HRR and is the end all be all to stamping)I took a look at FG and it is very cute...That is going on my list.
I also have Little Hellos and mounted those the same as GG. It is a nice lower priced versatile set. Don't overlook those lower sets because that means you can get inkpads and cardstock :P Tags and more has been selling quite a bit for me lately. Course there aren't really any sayings with it...but that would just be a good excuse to get one of the AYC Sets!!
Good luck and enjoy your workshop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 08:11 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

I actually always recommend Mini Mates to all of my new customers. I always tell them what a great bargain it is because there are 28 stamps for $29.95 so it averages out to be about $1.07 a stamp!
I have a set sampler and I show them how many different cards you can make with that one set. It's definitely one of my favorites! Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 08:29 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami
I would suggest taking your list of possibilities and checking out the gallery samples for each of them.

You probably already thought of that though
LOL! I did immediately go to the gallery! I noticed that some of them are hostess sets so those are off-limits to me. One or two of them are NMS (not my style). But Framed Greetings was another one I was considering off the hop. I'll sneak another peek after the kids are sleeping ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 02:02 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My recommendations: Good Times or Simple Sketches!

Good Times covers everything you could think of, and has a playful feel to it. Lots of stamps to do lots of stuff with! Great for travel, with a set of Stampin' Spots!

Simple Sketches is a little more elegant. With the two step stamping, you can use one layer alone, or two together, or all three for different looks of each of the three separate designs. And with the greetings, "Thank You", "Happy Birthday", and "Thinking of You"--that covers just about anything! And I use those phrases with lots of different sets, too, now that I've expanded my collection.

I often point out the wide range of occasions represented by Greeting for All Reasons, and offer it as a possible starter set, but I've really never clicked with it. Even though I do own it, most of my projects are done with other sets.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 02:22 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by spedabstbit
Simple Sketches is a little more elegant. With the two step stamping, you can use one layer alone, or two together, or all three for different looks of each of the three separate designs. And with the greetings, "Thank You", "Happy Birthday", and "Thinking of You"--that covers just about anything!
Hi!
You took the words right off of my keyboard!
Love, Love, Love that set!
The squiggly ones make nice backgrounds!
Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 04:34 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I really like Mini Mates. I didn't get it right away but find I use it all the time now. I love how many stamps there are and how versitile they are. I also love Fine Print. I started with just one set and now have over 30 sets in just over 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2004, 04:36 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I like Mini Mates or Greetings for all Reasons for the beginner. Lots can be done with these 2 sets!
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2004, 07:24 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Default Hmmm.....

I think a good set would be the one that when you see it, images pop to mind already! It inspires you and you can't live without it. A good set to demonstrate for newbies are ones you do not have to color, this keeps it easy, then you can add excitemnent to it with dazzling diamonds and some 2 way glue, and maybe some ribbon. There is a lot ot absorb at a persons first workshop. Sparkling Season and the matching wheel are really good for this. Learning simple matting techniques are great for first timers. Then eyelets are the next fun thing.

I would recommend starting with your set, then teaching techniques, because no matter what you have, they have something else in mind,and some are really wanting to know, "how do you do that?".

A big seller, at least for me are the resist techniques with the brayer and spectrum pads. A good set for this is on the beach. That way it can be used for a guy also. Because, unless these ladies have lots of female friends, who will they be making their cards for?

But, those are just my thoughts. If I had to choose a floral, I would choose In full bloom, just due to the fact there are tons of inspiring cards here for you to browse through. You can keep this one simple then add techniques to spice it up.

Hope this helps! Happy Stamping? - Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Don't ask me why but my first set was Watercolor Garden. I can't really remember why I picked that one but if I had had all this advice I'm sure my decision would have been different. I do own now Greetings Galore and A Greeting for all Reasons and really enjoy both of them. I got them cause of the different words and the different occasions you could do with them.

I do agree with getting a background set and a Versamark pad. You will never regret it.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2004, 07:47 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can see why JHRR has recommended the Framed Greetings.. I will be sure to add it to my list, along with mini mates, good times, Nice & Easy notes, Little Hello's and simple sketches. I do believe they are all suitable for beginners.

(Personally) I have been partial to A Greeting For all Reasons, and in my first 4 workshops, I've sold it 8 times. I demo the poppin' pastels technique with the star as a background and the Merry Christmas words mounted on CS. It was a big hit and everyone liked that all the words were coordinating with designs.

Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2004, 08:21 AM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

For a first time stamper, I would suggest Greetings Galore, Framed Greetings, or Tags and More. Tags and More was the first set for me and I love it. Greetings Galore gives you the option of having words. All are great sets to start out with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2004, 02:00 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Sketch It is another set that can be used for almost anything. Also it is bold so your order the set and about four pads or versamark and chalks and your set for a little while.
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/mltunnel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2004, 02:48 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

The very first set I ever bought was All God's Children. Then it sat in the hall closet under a pile of sheets since I had no idea what to do with it. (I purchased it through a catalog show.) Then when I went to my first party I got Nice & Easy Notes. I like the updated version of it - Greetings Galore - better now. I have also sold a ton of A Greeting for All Reasons. My all time favorite is Lovely As A Tree. Maybe I'll get it out and get stampin'!
- Susan Eubanks
www.inkedblessings.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2004, 03:16 PM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

Totally agree with Julie on this one, I actually bought this set thinking I would use it all the time. I 've only used it a couple of times, and each time I only used the butterfly from it.
Agree - I got this set when it was a hostess set, however, hardly use it. I too am not sure why, but it isn't a set that jumps out at me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2004, 12:05 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

GREETINGS GALORE!!!!!

In the gallery it says it's a hostess set, but that was last year. Mount the saying on the side of the block and you can use them on different cards. I LOVE that set, it is definitely my most used set.

www.emilybradley.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2004, 12:20 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Tags and More is a great set for beginners, but if you also want a few words go for Greetings Galore and mount the words seperate from the pictures on the ends of the wood blocks
Charlotte
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2004, 11:10 PM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

I *LOVE* Framed Greetings! I'm so glad I got it for my first set - it allowed me to make a lot of cards without investing a ton of money. (Now I have something like 40 sets, but Framed Greetings is still one of my favorites!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 07:14 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Sketch an event is very versatile, but get a greeting set too like Fun Phrases to go with it! Welcome to SU and SCS!

Please follow my blog.... I am typing into cyberspace! www.centsablesaving.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 08:35 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Congrats as a new stamper. You'll love the stuff from Stampin'UP and this is only the beginning. It s a wonderful addiction. A Healthy and happy past time. SCS is the biggest of the addictions and so chalk full of wonderful things to read and see I can't get off to stamp...
I sell many A greeting for all reasons~ even though I don't have it and don't really like it. The words can't be beat! I have only one customer say she doesn't really like it now that she's been using it.
Tags and More is unpresuming and at first I didn't get it in my demo package. But bought it shortly after and it is so well used and versatile. A real favorite for all seasons. Then you might want to buy AllYear Cheer to have some words/ or some other set that appeals to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 10:23 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like the tags and more and sketch an event -
Tags and more are great to color in with colored pencils etc, Sketch an event has a stamp for most of your card needs!
At my recent show one of the ladies was looking for a set so her children could make cards for teachers for Christmas and she went with tags and more.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 10:28 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Mini Mates is what I would vote for. You get a lot of options for the money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 10:43 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetandsour
I went to the stamping top 50 and looked for sites with galleries, and here I am
What is the stamping top 50? Can you give me a link? I'd love to see other galleries!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 02:49 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommed Something to Celebrate or Sketch a Party. Both offer versatility. If you can get more than one set any of the wood sets would be a good choice! HTH.

Enjoy the party!
Reply With Quote Likes