Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2005, 09:01 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is wrong with you people???????

Ok, I just don't get it. How can anyone have stamp sets that aren't mounted?
The only time I don't mount them is like during SB when I get repeats. I just can't undertand someone spending anywhere from $11.95-$39.95 for a set and then just letting it sit and gather dust.
I want to know WHY? Share your thoughts and reasoning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 09:19 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

The ones that I haven't mounted are hostess appreciation sets that I got for free, and I'm not sure I'm keeping. I usually only order a set or two at a time and mount them right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I asked this ?? to a stamper once that was more of a collector, than a true stamper. The resale value of SU! stamps right now is incredible (just go to EBay and you will see some of the bids!!), so if you want to resell sets, having them umounted would get a higher bid.

Personally....I can not wait to cut and mount sets when I get them!! I just got 8 sets the other day, including 2 alphas and a set of #'s. and I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to get the finished!!! I just HAD TO get them done!! lol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking

Well....... What can I say! Not enough time, too many stamps! Things pile up!

I buy stamps because I like the set. I may not have an immediate use for it so it might sit in my box waiting to get mounted when I have the time. I currently have over 500 stampsets, probably 80% are mounted. Although, my daughter and I just bought a bunch of the retiring sets and it will be awhile before those are mounted.

Someday my friend and I are hoping to open a shop and teach classes and it will be nice to start with a good selection of stamps.

I have a full time job and typically put in more than 8 hours a day (not that I am complaining - this is what allows me to buy so many stampsets). I'm a Girl Scout Troop Leader and am the secretary for the adult coordinating team for our association and maybe soon to be webmistress. I have three kids (two of whom still live at home), my baby is 10 and has school projects and homework and has to be watched over. No one in my house seems to know how to pick up after themselves. I am an SU demo but only do 1-2 workshops a month so there is no excuse there. And I really, really, really need my sleep. I am not one of those that can stay up to all hours and then get up raring to go at 6 am. Wish I was, but I'm not.

I hope this helps bring some understanding as to why some of us might have unmounted sets. teeheehee

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I am a user not a keeper so all of mine are mounted quickly and I try to make a card right away so I will keep the set in mind for other projects. For instance my In a Pear Tree set is used more for the words than anything else I love them. If you don't mount and use the sets why buy them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

The sets that I have that aren't mounted are big sets that include stamps that I don't really care for and probably won't use (for example, Figures of Speech). Rather than spending lots of time mounting all of them, I mount them as I want to use them. I also have one set that I bought last year, but only because it was retiring. After the new catty came out, I found another shower/baby set that I liked better so I never mounted the other one thinking it would be easier to sell later if it wasn't mounted.

I guess what it comes down to is sheer laziness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 11:15 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't mount any of my stamps because they take up a lot more space than unmounted. I also pull off the foam before trimmming the rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just started stamping only 2 years ago and since then I've acquired around 300 stamp sets including every alphabet from the last 2 catalogs. That's a lot of stamps to sit around and mount.

I have a 2-year old and a 3-year old and a husband who does nothing but watch tv most of the time. If I had the luxury of time, I'm sure I could sit here and do nothing but mount my stamps, but until then, I'm going to settle for mounting them as I need them and I'm going to give my kids, rather than my stamps, the attention they deserve. And the time I have in my stamp room, I'd prefer to use stamping than cutting and mounting stamps that I won't be using at that moment.

Most of my unmounted sets are hostess sets that I don't use. Others are sets that I plan to use in my scrapbooking - a dance set to scrapbook my daughter's dance recital - but haven't gotten around to yet. I usually mount the letters to my alphabet sets as I need them. It actually works well since I can resell them easier unmounted than I can mounted (if I realize I won't use the set later)

So anyway, I guess what's wrong with me is that I have my priorities straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Most of my unmounteds are HA sets that I've gotten for free, and I have kept them UM because the jury is still out as to whether or not I want to keep them or trade/sell them. I try to keep them UM if I'm going to trade or sell, because I always prefer to get UM stamps and mount them myself when I buy or trade.

Some sets are still unmounted because I bought them just because I liked them a lot without a real use for them. Soooo I leave them UM and mount them as I go along. I don't know what else to tell ya - it's just the system that works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Murphy
Well....... What can I say! Not enough time, too many stamps! Things pile up!

I buy stamps because I like the set. I may not have an immediate use for it so it might sit in my box waiting to get mounted when I have the time. I currently have over 500 stampsets, probably 80% are mounted. Although, my daughter and I just bought a bunch of the retiring sets and it will be awhile before those are mounted.

Someday my friend and I are hoping to open a shop and teach classes and it will be nice to start with a good selection of stamps.

I have a full time job and typically put in more than 8 hours a day (not that I am complaining - this is what allows me to buy so many stampsets). I'm a Girl Scout Troop Leader and am the secretary for the adult coordinating team for our association and maybe soon to be webmistress. I have three kids (two of whom still live at home), my baby is 10 and has school projects and homework and has to be watched over. No one in my house seems to know how to pick up after themselves. I am an SU demo but only do 1-2 workshops a month so there is no excuse there. And I really, really, really need my sleep. I am not one of those that can stay up to all hours and then get up raring to go at 6 am. Wish I was, but I'm not.

I hope this helps bring some understanding as to why some of us might have unmounted sets. teeheehee

Karen
Karen I am TOTALLY on the same page!!! There's just not enough hours in the day... hence the need for sleep. Most days it's connect the dots in trying to get everything done - I'm just overjoyed on the days when I have some time to make a card. My sets are partially cut or still untouched. The obviously fell under the category of "had-to-have" and I still wouldn't give them up... they are just waiting for that lazy Sunday afternoon in July... or August... well September looks good! Ha.

Back to making supper!
Ta-rah!
Carla.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

This thread had me cracking up! I have this same conversation with a certain friend of mine. She has stamps that are not mounted and had them for quite some time. I agree that some people just haven't got the time. I have also found with customers that they are intimidated by the whole idea of cutting their stamps. I will have to say that it gets easier with time and practice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 02:24 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

One other thing my demo will mount them for you if you ask especially she does this for her older clients who have a little trouble wth this task. It is a great selling point for her .

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

My sets usually get put together very fast, but I have more than a couple not mounted at the moment. Mostly because I haven't had time. I ordered some things from the spring mini and from the retiring list that all arrived together. In the meantime, life got in the way and they're still unmounted. That will get sorted soon though.

=)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I don't think there is anything at all "wrong" with people who have unmounted sets. As several people here have posted, some of their UM sets are 'extras' that they got during SAB or for other hostess/demo freebies.

As for me, often I buy a set with every intention of having the time to use it. But then...life is what happens to us when we're busy making other plans. I recently had a little extra time to re-organize my stamps. In the process, I mounted five sets that I hadn't gotten around to mounting because I hadn't had the time.

And why hadn't I had the time? There are three reasons:

1. Because, for a while, I was playing the role of 'single mom' while my husband was on various military deployments for the past 3 years, off and on. I go in to what I call survival mode when he's gone. I'm sure ANY single mom (military or not) can relate to this. It goes like this:

*Are the children fed, clothed and clean?
*How are they doing in school?
*Are the bills paid?

The point is, when in survival mode, stamping isn't always a priority in my life. Maybe it is the sanity saver for someone else, but it isn't for me. When I'm in survival mode, it's just one more mess to clean up. So it doesn't get done. It follows that if I'm not stamping, I'm probably not mounting stamps that I might buy during 'survival mode' either.

2. "The Computer". I'm sure I'm not alone in confessing that I have, at times, spent far too much time at the computer than I have doing anything else in my life. I recently closed an email list that I'd had for 3 years to get away from the computer and spend more time stamping. I don't read or reply to many of the posts here at SCS for the same reason -- the computer is too addictive and I need to fill my time with other things.

3. Life. Most people have a life outside of stamping, whether they work outside the home or not. I'm no exception. Some days I have a lot more time than others. I guess what that boils down to, for me, is priorities. I buy the stamps with every intention of using them...but then my children or my husband or my church or my friends might need my attention more than my stamps. Stamping is my hobby, but it isn't my priority. I know that the stamps will still be there for me to mount when I have some free time -- but my children won't.

"I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to."
"When we forgive, we free ourselves from the bitter ties that bind us to the one who hurt us."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

I am green - those of you who have 300 - 500 sets! I have been stamping for about 4 years, but have a very limited income, so I think I have around 30 sets. They all get very well used!!!! (especially wonderful wings!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Cool In awe!

Hey Mary - just have to say that I'm in awe with what you do with your 30 sets! I check your gallery almost every day... hey maybe I should be cutting out my SU! sets while I'm sitting here looking at your gallery!

Have a great week everyone! Hope you all find the time to do all of your favorite things.

Carla.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:19 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinchick
Personally....I can not wait to cut and mount sets when I get them!! I just got 8 sets the other day, including 2 alphas and a set of #'s. and I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to get the finished!!! I just HAD TO get them done!! lol
See this is me too. As soon as I get them, I am mounting them all! The only time I even waited was when I got my summer minis because it was an incredibly busy day and I couldn't get to it right away. But you can bet before the day was done those sets were mounted. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:24 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I have to echo this thought. I'm in awe of Mary's talent!!!

Sorry for the hijack. Y'all are now being returned to your regularly scheduled thread. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbycarla
Hey Mary - just have to say that I'm in awe with what you do with your 30 sets!

"I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to."
"When we forgive, we free ourselves from the bitter ties that bind us to the one who hurt us."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialstamper
Ok, I just don't get it. How can anyone have stamp sets that aren't mounted?
The only time I don't mount them is like during SB when I get repeats. I just can't undertand someone spending anywhere from $11.95-$39.95 for a set and then just letting it sit and gather dust.
I want to know WHY? Share your thoughts and reasoning!
I think this original post is a little harsh. Most people consider stamping as a hobby and family and full-time jobs as a priority. Many people are part of a regular meeting group where they have committed to buying a certain amount so that everyone has a turn at being hostess. But just because the stamps come regularly doesn't mean that the time to mount stamps and to actually stamp comes regularly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I just wanted to say that I'm SO glad Mary spoke up, and SO glad that I went to look at her Gallery! Her stuff is absolutely GORGEOUS and breath-taking! Hey, I'd love to go to her house and learn some of those techniques!!

About the stamps being mounted or not, I can understand life getting in the way. But I just became a demo a year ago, and all my sets are mounted within a couple days of getting them (usually 24 hours, but there have been exceptions to that!). My only UM ones are the duplicates from SAB, etc.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 06:02 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I just have to add that I think the original poster wasn't trying to be harsh--more tongue in cheek. I have wondered this same thing before. But I also don't think the people who do get them mounted have their priorities in the wrong place as another poster implied. Just maybe less need for sleep, or grown children, etc... I wish people would start relaxing and having fun instead of taking things so personally. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hey folks, I was being facetious! I mount my demos stamps for her because she is too busy to get them done. Sorry if I made a few of you mad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialstamper
Hey folks, I was being facetious! I mount my demos stamps for her because she is too busy to get them done. Sorry if I made a few of you mad.
I knew you weren't serious! I don't think anyone was mad - don't sweat it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 05:07 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I mount not only mine, but Mom and DD. I can never wait to get them mounted, so we can try them out!! The only um sets I have are dupe SAB sets. My best day i mounted 17 sets. Talk about sore fingers! lol

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 06:05 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Mostly near Cincinnati but Gulf Shores, AL in the wintertime 😎

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmjenkyns
I am green - those of you who have 300 - 500 sets! I have been stamping for about 4 years, but have a very limited income, so I think I have around 30 sets. They all get very well used!!!! (especially wonderful wings!)

Mary, if you can create the breathtaking art in your gallery with just 30 stamp sets, I simply can't imagine what you could do with the 100's of sets I own. I'm ashamed to post to the same thread as you and your artistic genius self! LOL! So I suppose the old saying has much truth to it, huh? It's not the size (of your stamp collection) that counts, it's what you do with it! :o
Hijack over.

I find mounting my stamps a boring chore! Because of time constraints I seldom mount my sets when I first get them. Mounting as I need them, specially those tedious alphabets, works best for me. But if any of you girls that like to mount stamps want to come over, we can make a party of it!

stampingnut (Tammy)

If it doesn't move, STAMP it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 06:48 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I mount my stamps as soon as I can within a day or 2 of receiving my stamps. For two reasons, one is I can't stand not having them ready to use. Technically all my stamps are "used". We will not talk about the fact that once they are mounted, recorded and stored away it may be a long while before they are "used" for a card or such, ROFL!!! Dear Hubby will say, "When was the last time you used that stamp?" To which I reply, "They are all used, do you mean other than when I stamped it in the log book?" He doesn't ask anymore, just walks away shaking his head.
The other reason is more serious, back 10 years ago when I started with SU there were more instances of stamps that didn't stamp so well. That isn't a problem anymore, but out of sheer necessity I would mount my images, record them (this means stamp the image in my master log book). Then if there was a problem I could do an exchange within the time allowed. So for me it's a habit. And since I don't sell my retired images, I like having them mounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for asking this question. I've often wondered the same thing and now I know that these people aren't JUST crazy.

SU addict? I don't have a problem. I can stamp - oops, I mean stop - whenever I want to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

I have quite a few stamp sets (93 SU sets) and quite a few store bought. I do have sets unmounted for one reason or another. Usually, I buy the stamp set thinking how much I really like it from the catalog or even from the gallery, but once I get it, I may not mount it because I'm not sure if it is one I will really use. Or I might mount one or two of the stamps and then think, I really don't care for this set, so I won't continue mounting and then try to think what I am going to do with it. The majority of my sets are mounted and I do have plans on using them or have used them. I do have an alphabet set that is unmounted, but that's not because I won't use it. It is so time consuming to cut and mount these little jewels, that I have to really be in the mood to do so. I guess that is my thing. . .I have to be in the mood to cut and mount. I got eight sets last month and as soon as I got them, I did sit at my table and mount each and every one of them. I think I only have maybe three or four sets unmounted. But, I will eventually get around to taking care of them also.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #29  
PAPER SCAPER

I certainly don�t have 500 sets or even close to that, I haven�t counted but my guess is well under 40 and well used. I�m sort of wondering how I could use that many sets in one life time to be perfectly honest and I stamp almost daily. You ladies should have the SCS gallery to full for us to enter anything. LOL! Or do I envy your collection; I�m thinking envy is the right word here!

So as you may have guessed all my stamp sets are most definitely mounted. If anyone should get tired of their sets before or after they are mounted I would be glad to take them off your hands for the charity organizations I make cards for in my signature and some that aren�t listed.
I guess I don�t understand why the stamp sets get bought if they aren�t being used but we can�t all be the same in this world. That would be boring!!!

I�ve been stamping about as long as Mary (with the beautiful gallery and I�m surprised she hasn�t been noticed before, she�s one of my favorites) and on somewhat of a budget, not real tight but more what you�d call being careful. There is talk of the retired automotive employees losing their health insurance so that�s why I say careful. DH retired two years ago at age 54.
I was thrilled yesterday to get a used Stipple Butterfly as a gift because I just didn�t want to spend the money before it retired. I�ll work those pretty wings right off that stamp before he retires from working.

So if anyone lives close to me here in Michigan I�ll be glad to mount your sets, (maybe slowly) but I get to use them for a week before you get them back!

This is a fun thread and remember what you read isn�t always the way it would come out of someone�s mouth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 08:18 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

OK, so now I'm totally embarassed! I really didn't mean to hijack the thread. thanks you all so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it. stamping has been a great outlet for me. thanks again all, Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

Now I really know what my problem is. I am spending wayyyyy toooooo much time here reading the threads instead of playing or mounting my stamps. That's what I should be doing this fine wonderful beautiful day, but instead, I am enjoying it more here.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes