Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #41  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieNJView Post
I have been told I am very **** BUT I love storing my ribbon in the little cropper hopper embellishment boxes. It's time consuming to do at first and I do it as I watch TV but I wind up all the ribbon first, then put them in the CH boxes, then store them by color in those clear boxes for jewelry (after I cut the top off) and I have about 7 of them. Each box will easily hold 54!!! LOVE IT. Of course this is basically only good for the smaller ribbon but that's what I mostly have and it's wonderful. Especially when you go to a crop or need them quickly...just pull out the box and all your colors are right there.
Rosie, I'm so glad it worked for you but for me it was a horrible nightmare that I'm still trying to recover from. I saw this system and it looked so cool. I bought all the boxes, uwrapped all my ribbon from their cardboard spools, rewrapped it all and put in the little boxes inside the cropper hooper boxes. It looked so cool until I started using it. I never know exactly how much ribboon I need so when it came time to roll the extra ribbon back into the little boxes I had to take out the entire spool and rewrap. OMG it took so much time and was a pain (for me). Over the past 18 months I've had my stamping buddies save their empty ribbon spools and I've rewound all my ribbon back the way it was. I store them in plastic shoe boxes by color and I'm so much happier. the shoe boxes hold the full ribbon spools, flat ribbon that I roll on pieces of cardboard, paper cord, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am slowly but surely getting more organized each day. Just recently tried out the gutter solution for my ribbon problems, and so far I love it. I had a system where all my ribbon was on dowels, but I like to put whole roll of ribbon on my table as I work. This system allows me to do that. It may look crude, but it works. Got the idea on another thread, but think it orignally came from pinkhedgehog. Here is my version, still need to mount to my bookself, but will do that tomorrow. Now just have to organize rest of my stuff.

Ribbon organizer by arkansasjamie at Splitcoaststampers
Ribbon organizer by arkansasjamie at Splitcoaststampers
Jamie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #43  
Gallery Gazer

Mine used to be my punches but I got a clear over the door shoe holder and put an old wooden stamp shelf (7 shelves about 2.5' long) on the wall behind the door. I love being able to see all of them instead of having them in drawers.

BUT....paper is my biggest problem. When I start creating, I'll pull colors out and then not take the time to put them back exactly where they should be. Then in a couple of months, they are all still in their color families but individual colors are scattered about within the family. I don't buy only SU but paper from everywhere so I have a gazillion colors. A 36 shelf paper sorter plus a 15 space tall rack and several other units as well. Augh!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well my top one right now is my stamp sets. I just umounted about 90% of them and have them in CD cases. I still need to do an index for most of them and make a label for the edge so I can quickly locate each set. It's taking me some time but I'm making progress. I'll be happy when it's all finished!

My growing gallery!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #45  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Scraps and ribbon for me

I'm still mounting the last of my 100+ SU sets on EZ Mount thin and using the store more stamps system to hold them

slow and steady but I'm down to just one more shoe box then I'm done!

Now I need to get rid of 3 tubs of wooden blocks sigh...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh...designer paper scraps and ribbon are my biggest challenges too!!

My Blog
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #47  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Punches too! I have a tiny closet and not enough wall space to mount them on the wall so they are all in my elfa cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, I almost forgot one....copics!

My Blog
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniehtView Post
My main dilemma is ribbon! I can't seem to find a good way to organize it and have quick to access to it. I use it on every card so I need it to be user friendly!
I use this ribbon organizer. The ribbon is easy to unroll. If you need the whole roll you don't have to take all the ribbon off to get to the one you want, like on some systems. The rolls stay put nicely!

www.organizemore.com

Chrissi
Attached Thumbnails
What is your biggest organizing delima?-301_tn.jpg   What is your biggest organizing delima?-311_tn.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Susan, maybe you could try cutting down some chipboard or cardboard strips to act like dividers in your drawers. Cardboard might be better since it's thicker and much stiffer.
foam board works well also
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcwigView Post
I use this ribbon organizer. The ribbon is easy to unroll. If you need the whole roll you don't have to take all the ribbon off to get to the one you want, like on some systems. The rolls stay put nicely!

www.organizemore.com

Chrissi
Thanks for that link. I was just looking for more storage for my ink pads. I really wish they offered the 48 ink storage in black though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 04:39 AM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

For me, it's ink pads and stamp sets. I haven't forked over the big bucks for an ink pad storage unit. When I first started stamping I got one of those IKEA units, but by the time I needed more they stopped carrying them. So right now my ink pads are stacked six high and nine across on my desk and they're constantly falling over. My stamp sets are in a drawer unit and it's annoying to have to dig through the drawer to find what I want and then I often forget about the set on the bottom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 04:53 AM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

[My number one issue is with individual stamps! I had a great box for them, but now I have so many that I have to dump out the entire box to find what I want! I'm in the market for some good storage.

This isn't my idea, but I'm spreading it because it works. I use the clear acrylic frames. I use the frame as a tray. Stamps are all visable and they stack nicely. Of course you may need to buy hundreds..but I just found 5 at the thrift store for 40 cents each and they were still shrink wrapped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Since we have a family craft room, my biggest organization dilemma is keeping things accessible to me yet out of reach of my extremely curious three year-old. I keep everything that poses a threat way up high. The other thing I try to do is keep my kids' supplies well-stocked, organized, and accessible, so they aren't as tempted to get into my stuff without asking.

My other organizing dilemmas are odd-shaped tools, different sizes and shapes of ink pads, individual stamps, and coloring tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 05:01 AM   #55  
Mad Swapper

I finally came up with a solution for sticker sheets. We have a flea market type store here and for a dollar a piece I found acrylic brochure holders. They are 8.5 x 11 size. I have the stickers sorted by theme. They are on a table one in front of the other. I also was at wally world one day and found myself wandering through the fishing department. I found fly fishing tackle boxes on clearance. They are small and have three divided boxes inside....two zipper pockets and a nail clipper attatched to the side. I keep brads in these and stickles. They then hang in my coat cubby on hooks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 05:05 AM   #56  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm constantly reorganizing too. One of my favorite tools is a spinning CD rack. I have all kinds of supplies stored on the shelves sitting right next to my desk, just a spin and I have what I'm looking for..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Right now I cannot say it is any one thing I am having a problem with. It is all of it. The room I'm using as a craft room is far from being optimal for this kind of use because it's got 2 doors on one wall and one window each on two walls. So there isn't a whole lot of wall space for me to use.

I would really like to have it set up so that I don't have to hunt all over the room for what I need, but that's what I have to do right now. Eventually I might get a space in the basement, but there's a blue million other projects to be done in the house before that happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

This site http://craftystorage.blogspot.com/ has tons of organization ideas. I love it. The picture below is the method I use to store my ribbon. It's great because you can fit a ton in it. I got the method from the website. I used matboard to wind my ribbon around. It works great.

Now I just need to figure out my DP and I'm set.
Attached Thumbnails
What is your biggest organizing delima?-ribbon-storage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

ink pads and stamp sets

I have to share my dh's office and I am probably starting to overwhelm him a bit. I use a small bookcase where the top holds my stamp sets and the middle holds my ink pads and the bottom..whatever I don't use much.

I don't know if the ink caddy is a good idea or not. It looks nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by newinkerView Post
Thanks for that link. I was just looking for more storage for my ink pads. I really wish they offered the 48 ink storage in black though.
They have an organizer in black and pink. I think he mentions somewhere on the sight that he can paint any of the organizers in black or pink. HTH.

Chrissi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs_hawkinsView Post
For me, it's ink pads and stamp sets. I haven't forked over the big bucks for an ink pad storage unit. When I first started stamping I got one of those IKEA units, but by the time I needed more they stopped carrying them. So right now my ink pads are stacked six high and nine across on my desk and they're constantly falling over. My stamp sets are in a drawer unit and it's annoying to have to dig through the drawer to find what I want and then I often forget about the set on the bottom.
Check out this website for the ink pad storage!

www.organizemore.com

I just love all the products!!
Attached Thumbnails
What is your biggest organizing delima?-302_tn.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #62  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Oh how funny I see this - I spent all day cleaning/reorganizing my scraproom!

For me, I am an organizing freak (OCD!) and need to know where everything is - I can't scrapbook/stamp/make cards if the place is a disaster!

Mainly, I have shelving ~ On that, for papers, I have the plastic Cropper Hopper paper holders. I have them seperated by patterned & cardstocks (I Have about 20 of those). I also have some of the flat 12 X 12 plastic paper containers from The Container Store (forget who makes those?!) that I keep scraps in - they are organized, but still available.

For ribbons, mine are in clear jars on shelves. If I don't see them, I forget I have them and they don't get used! I have a big spool on the bottom of shelf but it only holds about 15 but I keep the new, unopened ones on that or my 3 year old would be grabbing ends and unrolling them all, ROFL!

For my stickers, I have a gazillion - so I bought and LOVE the Clip It up base and Tier. Love it! It sits on the other side of the room and I keep the most current ones I"m working on on it, and the rest I keep on a big Corkboard that my DH bought and hung for me (Office Max, 30 bucks!) - it's a massive
5 ft x 4 ft and I have them hanging on pegs like a scrapbook store would

Those were probably my top 3 things to keep organized - pictures were in photo organizers so that was pretty easy.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Right now, I don't have a problem. I have been working on organizing my supplies. I am very happy with my set up! I will say, I don't have anywhere near the amount of supplies that most of you seem to have! I briefly read through most of the posts and it seems paper is a big issue. I had a great idea given to me. I hope this is not a repeat, anyway, I have a notebook with the page protectors and have all my solid scraps in there. I sort them by color families. I love this! For my DP, I have a 12x12 paper holder and sort the pages by color family in there. There aren't dividers but so far it is working out well. Like I said, I don't have very many supplies/papers. As I am working and pulling out papers, I set them to the side on those stackable office in/out box and then sort when I am done with my projects for the day or week.

Sounds like most of you are very organized! Thanks for sharing all the ideas!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #64  
Kookie Creator

I actually found this storage idea on another thread here. I absolutely love my new marker storage, it's the magpie system from quickutz just upside down. It lets me see all my markers and I can fit 24 copics or 30 prismsacolor markers in one section. I picked it up from overstock for only 19.99.

marker storage

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmbcView Post
Oh, I almost forgot one....copics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

I've now created my craft space. It's only a corner in my room but i think i've managed to make the most out of the room i have. I also have to have things organised and everything has to be in it's place.

My desk holds all my papers in the slim satchels (top left), punches and tools in wider satchels (bottom left) wood mounted stamps (top right) embellishments (bottom right).

pencils etc in cups on rail together with ink pads and other things i need to hand.

Ribbon in glass jars

brads and eyelets are in stackable clear containers in an arcrylic 2 draw

unmouted stamps are kept in 12x12 containers and kept on my shelves

Here's a picture of my 'craft space'
Attached Thumbnails
What is your biggest organizing delima?-my-space.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 03:26 AM   #66  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My craft space works really well for me. The only issue I have is that I'd like more counter space. I have an L shaped counter area but I like to keep everything within reach and ready to use. I always have both my fiskars cutter and carl cutter out, another mat for my perfect layers and my stamp cleaner. Also on the counter are my stamp pads, markers, organizers oh and the computer. Now that I have my cuttlebug I want room for it also. I know I would use it more if it was set up ready to go.

justampin in my basement. by justampin at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by justampin; 07-28-2008 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: Adding picture
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
Reinkers-----right now they are in a recycled baby wipes container..It will hold about 30.....But,,,no way to tell what they are without picking them up and reading the label.....need a better way but don't know what it will be.
that's a good idea! What if you made a guide sort of like what they put in the lids of boxes of chocolates (maybe you could go buy a box to see what I mean:twisted to show which is which in there.

I have mine all in a basket and it's fine but it is a pain in the behind when you need one.

Peg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

Funny to come in and find this thread. I picked up "Organizing from the Inside Out" from the library with the idea that it would help me get my craft area organized. I have a lovely space with good light and lots of furniture and I keep trashing it! I have figured out a few things that are working well but otherwise I'm still struggling with:
1. Ink pads - really want something that is easily portable.
2. Stamp sets - Have a cabinet full but still can't find what I want without tearing it apart
3. Scraps - Have tons, never use them because they are a mess
4. Embellishments - Have tons with no effective organization
5. Inspiration - I have an idea I want to implement to be able to put things like M&T and project ideas out where I can see them and be inspired. Also have a ton of catalogs, magazines, etc. that need to be more accessible.

The author advocates working from a mindset of 'activity areas' so I tried to sort of think about it that way. Card design, card base, embellish...that's what I'm thinking about doing. Don't know though...still thinking and stewing on it.

Peg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am loving some of these ideas.
As my house is tiny (900sq feet), a craft room is not an option.
But I still have to store things.

I want to thank the person who recommended uncoiling the top of a hanger and using that for ribbon and for the person who posted the link for the ribbon box at organize more.com

I am going to try the hanger first. Since I am still new (i have only made 4 cards so far), I don't have all that much. (Thankfully!).

Thanks for the tips and tidbits.

Hgus,
Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #70  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniehtView Post
My main dilemma is ribbon! I can't seem to find a good way to organize it and have quick to access to it. I use it on every card so I need it to be user friendly!
I bought those wire shelves that you use to hang on the food closet/cupboard door to store bottles. I have hung them over the outside of a cupboard in my scrap room and use them to store my rolls of ribbon - works well, I love that the ribbons are always available when I need to match a color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #71  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by p7eggycView Post
that's a good idea! What if you made a guide sort of like what they put in the lids of boxes of chocolates (maybe you could go buy a box to see what I mean:twisted to show which is which in there.

I have mine all in a basket and it's fine but it is a pain in the behind when you need one.

Peg
I have used the largest Stampin Up clamshell boxes to store my re-inkers. Each box takes about 20 re-inkers and because they are lying down, it is easy to see the colors. they don't take up too much room because you can stack them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #72  
Matboard Maniac

mine is all my stamp pads - i have CTMH, Ranger Inks, stampabilities, cat eye, the list is endless... (or so dh thinks). I use $1 bins from Home Depot, but even know I'm overflowing!

Kristin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #73  
Insane Embellisher

I have my ribbon up on my wall...
Attached Thumbnails
What is your biggest organizing delima?-scrap-room-5.jpg  

My blog: Moved to the Mountains
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #74  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I have to admit that my biggest organisational problem isn't where to put things on the shelves - it is that by the end of the evening it feels as if half of them have ended up on my not-very-big desk, and I have trouble finding basic things like my ruler and acrylic blocks by then!
Aside from the desk, I probably struggle most with trying to keep my paper organised.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2008, 02:50 AM   #75  
Gabfest Goddess

Ribbon! I though I had a solution to my ribbon storage problem....I bought several ribbon boxes from Michaels, filled them with spools, and hung them on the inside of my closet door using 3M mounting tape. The package said it would hold up to two pounds.
We were in the kitchen yesterday evening when we heard a crash. My husband went to check and reported that my ribbon had fallen. What a mess! All the spools had fallen and were all over the floor. The hinges on all three ribbon boxes had broken off.
My next step will be to mount narrow shelves on the door to hold the cases. I'm pretty sure that will work...at least I hope so![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes