Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIRed2View Post
My only pet peeve is when I go to blogs and the music blaring. Music is a personal choice and not every one wants to hear it. And I do not want to hear "turn down your sound", why should I? This is a big turn off for me as I blog when I get home at 1 am. Needless to say I will not stay but click off.
This is my #1 pet peeve too.

avatar: Miss Foxy Roxy, my 1 year old pomchi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I find some of these annoying as well, but I must admit I'm guilty of using "embellies" when I'm too lazy to type out the whole word. I'm also guilty of not listing supplies on cards I've uploaded to the gallery simply because I use the bulk upload feature and - again - I've been too lazy to type all that stuff out.

The one thing that really annoys me, and this is in general, when I hear people mispronounce words. What is that most people are mispronouncing the word "often" these days. Come on people, it has a silent "t". It irritates me so much that I won't watch news shows where the news anchors mispronounce this word. They're suppose to be educated people. How can you mispronounce a simple word like "often". So this follows that if I'm watching someone's You Tube tutorial, I immediately click it off if they mispronouce words - especially this one.

Ok that's my rant/pet peeve...
May I just say it all depends on where you live on how you pronounce words. Traveling with the Air force with my hubby for 22 years I have lived in NY, NJ, Spain, ID Hawaii and now Illinois. I must say everywhere I have lived people pronounce differently.

Living in Hawaii for three yearss, I must say that the English language takes a beating big time. Being so hung up on they way words are pronounced I suggest to vacation in another place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I find some of these annoying as well, but I must admit I'm guilty of using "embellies" when I'm too lazy to type out the whole word. I'm also guilty of not listing supplies on cards I've uploaded to the gallery simply because I use the bulk upload feature and - again - I've been too lazy to type all that stuff out.

The one thing that really annoys me, and this is in general, when I hear people mispronounce words. What is that most people are mispronouncing the word "often" these days. Come on people, it has a silent "t". It irritates me so much that I won't watch news shows where the news anchors mispronounce this word. They're suppose to be educated people. How can you mispronounce a simple word like "often". So this follows that if I'm watching someone's You Tube tutorial, I immediately click it off if they mispronouce words - especially this one.

Ok that's my rant/pet peeve...

Thank you for commenting. I was clueless about the word "often". Your comment made me curious and I found this link:

Do You Speak American . What Speech Do We Like Best? . Beastly | PBS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 254 Likes on 179 Posts

I agree with alot of what you all are saying. Music blaring totally turns me off. I do have Christmas music on blog after Thanksgiving but that is it. Hopefully its not blaring LOL.

I also hate it when i click on a link to find out where she got the idea from and its no where to be found.

I am guilty for not always saying what supplies I use. Just lazy I guess. I will try and get better .

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Music on blogs bugs me, too. I generally have headphones on after the kids go to bed, but that's because I'm playing my own music through iTunes. I'd much prefer that blogs have no music. If you must have it, please make the "mute" button very very easy to find.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #46  
Kookie Creator

My pet peeve is paying 23.95 for a Stampin Up punch in Canada and in the US you pay 15.95. This is when our dollar is almost at par.....and yet we still pay it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #47  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I would say that my biggest pet peeve is people who complain that they have no time for stamping/scrapbooking, yet they spend hours on message boards and blogs.

(By the way, the "t" in "often" can be either silent or pronounced. On the other hand, there is no "t" in "across." There is also a "d" in "supposed" when using it in the phrase "supposed to." Finally, it's "supposedly," not "supposably.")

Sorry for the English Teacher rant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

I'll agree with all the comments given below, except for the ones about details given about cards. I don't give a hoot whether someone lists their supplies. I'm only interested if they used a particular technique. I am not a person who is interested in exactly copying someone's card idea. I prefer to create my own.

I also want to add that I don't like reading posts where people refer to their family members or good friends by 3 letters. I feel this belittles the person they are referring to. If I had a husband (though I don't), I would be proud of him and want to refer to him as my husband, not some series of 3 letters, same with a son or daughter.

What is the need to abbreviate so many things? If you don't have time to spell things out then don't write a post. Also try to write like an educated person and check your spelling.

Forum posts where people have to write some little ditty below their name. A post in a forum should also include an advertisement for you.

People who don't sign their name, can't you at least put your first name??

People who have to insert an entire post from another person. Just list the Post #, if someone is interested, they can go back and read the post you are referring to. Just leave your comment.

I have others, but I'll stop here.

By the way.....If I go into a website and it has music, I immediately click out of it, no matter what!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #49  
Kookie Creator

my biggest pet peeve is SU! & their ridiculous shipping costs. 10% of the order means that when I want to spend $200 I have to pay $20 in shipping?? :confused:

no thanks. PTI, TwoPeas & plenty of other companies offer free shipping over a certain amount.

I feel badly for the Demos because in order to offer a break to their customers they have to cut into their profits, which is not right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I'll agree with all the comments given below, except for the ones about details given about cards. I don't give a hoot whether someone lists their supplies. I'm only interested if they used a particular technique. I am not a person who is interested in exactly copying someone's card idea. I prefer to create my own.

I also want to add that I don't like reading posts where people refer to their family members or good friends by 3 letters. I feel this belittles the person they are referring to. If I had a husband (though I don't), I would be proud of him and want to refer to him as my husband, not some series of 3 letters, same with a son or daughter.

What is the need to abbreviate so many things? If you don't have time to spell things out then don't write a post. Also try to write like an educated person and check your spelling.

Forum posts where people have to write some little ditty below their name. A post in a forum should also include an advertisement for you.

People who don't sign their name, can't you at least put your first name??

People who have to insert an entire post from another person. Just list the Post #, if someone is interested, they can go back and read the post you are referring to. Just leave your comment. I have others, but I'll stop here.

By the way.....If I go into a website and it has music, I immediately click out of it, no matter what!

Patti

Posting a full quote is easy for the poster to see in the thread to respond to.

Using a post # will not call attention for a responce.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Post # 49

Some people don't like to use their names on the internet.

pjw2855

Which gets your attention more??

Quote or Post #

Just saying......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #52  
Watercolor Wizard

Let me say this about music, if I have 10 blogs running I have 4 or 5 different things playing and I can not figure out which blog's are playing the music, then I have to shut down all 10, when you belong to groups and you are tying to comment you put up all of each group, and what a pain when there are 2 or 3 playing different kinds of music. To me this is not hard, why would people do this? I have music on my blog, but it is turned off, if a visitor wants to come by and see what I have on my radio and wants to listen they will turn it on. With all of the DT teams and blog hops there is nothing more annoying then music playing from several different places. It is one of the main reason's I will stop continuing in a blog hop. Remember I am listening to my own music as I go so I do not want to turn my sound off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #53  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

darn it all, I LIKE posting direct quotes within my post so that others know exactly what they're reading without having to click again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewsgirlView Post
...And when people post photos on their blogs of projects from every angle imaginable. Just one or two would probably get the idea across. Maybe more for a really intricate project with lots of detail. But really i don't need to see it from the right and the left and the top and the back and straight on and underneath to get the gist of the project.
ditto, can't stand them -- and not only on blogs, some even upload all 17 photo versions to a gallery *annoying* -- I always feel like saying "I GOT it already!"

so many of these things are personal peeves and many of us have different tastes! I do happen to agree with most posted here (non-direct blog links; no stamping recipe; poor spelling; music on blogs)

Quote:

...The one thing that really annoys me, and this is in general, when I hear people mispronounce words. What is that most people are mispronouncing the word "often" these days. ...
um, different areas, different pronunciations ... when we lived in Grand Rapids, I almost had to take a language course to understand people there, LOL! Someone had asked my hubby if he wanted a "jab" ... I had nooooooooooo idea what the heck he was talking about! (it was a "job")
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #54  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

Mine is minor, a hold over from newspaper layout days. I hate it when the image is one direction and the greeting goes the opposite direction. If the sentiment you want to use doesn't fit along the top or bottom of the image or to the side without turning, redo the layout and make it all fit so I don't have to turn my neck 90 degrees to read what it says!
All my other pet peeves have to do with bad drivers, of which I deal with daily here in SoCal. Oh, and people who can't read a calendar and write dates down wrong.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #55  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I sat here reading all these pet peeves during my lunch hour and got tickled at at all the things that get to people. Some I can relate to and some I thought were just down right funny and a bit out there.

I have three to list.

1. SCS requests that a recipe be listed for each project uploaded to the gallery. If I remember correctly they also requested that no one just list "see my blog". It bugs me when people don't do it.

2. I hate it when people link their blog on a project and fail to put the direct link to the project post. When I click on a link and it doesn't go to the project I just exit.

3. My biggest pet peeve of all is when someone writes and asks me a "how to" question about my project when I have either clearly described it in detail in my gallery description or invited people to click on my link and come to my blog for my tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #56  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747View Post
I sat here reading all these pet peeves during my lunch hour and got tickled at at all the things that get to people. Some I can relate to and some I thought were just down right funny and a bit out there.

I have three to list.

1. SCS requests that a recipe be listed for each project uploaded to the gallery. If I remember correctly they also requested that no one just list "see my blog". It bugs me when people don't do it.

2. I hate it when people link their blog on a project and fail to put the direct link to the project post. When I click on a link and it doesn't go to the project I just exit.

3. My biggest pet peeve of all is when someone writes and asks me a "how to" question about my project when I have either clearly described it in detail in my gallery description or invited people to click on my link and come to my blog for my tutorial.
I have to say that I totally agree with you on this. It's shocking to me how many emails I get from people with questions about things I post on my blog. Things that I've clearly stated & explained in the post. I've come to realize that a lot of people don't read :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #57  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I don't like when I'm looking at a card and then there is a link to their blog for more information and the I click on that link and I can't find the card. In other words, I wish more people would post the actual link with the card info and not just their blog address.

I have to admit that I have not read all of the posts to this thread (as yet) but this seems to be one of the main peeves. I am not sure if I know how to link to JUST the card posted and not the whole site. :confused:
I know the address has more info in it than just the URL, I guess I will need to check out my links and see just were it does take you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
... I am not sure if I know how to link to JUST the card posted and not the whole site. :confused: ...
It's easy, once you know what to do. On your blog, click on the main title of your post. That will load only that single post. Then copy the URL of that page from your browser's address bar. Anyone clicking later on your gallery link will go directly to that blog post rather than to your most recent one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #59  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, great, that helps a lot. And yes it is easy when you know what to do. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #60  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
What is starting to bug me.....the word "deets" for details, "embellies" for embellishments. Those are the only two I can think of right off the top of my head. I know, it's probably a time saving thing but I find it annoying.
This is also my pet peeve. Here are a few others that drive me up the wall: "Nesties" for Nestabilities, "Prismas" for Prismacolor pencils or markers, and "catty" for catalog. In the non-stamping world, it's "veggies." I cringe every single time I hear it. I realize these are all time-savers, but they still irritate me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #61  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

My #1 pet peeve is how I start making a card and loose stuff on my table when I haven't moved a bit!!!! I'm just sure that there is a black hole in my stamping room that sucks my stuff into a vortex and then spins them back out again after I've driven myself crazy looking for it and given up!

#2: gross grain ribbon(is supposed to be pronounced "grow" grain... NO /s/ SOUND). Folks mispronounced it twice at Regionals in Baltimore!

#3: cents: you DO pronounce the t

#4: Blog links that say "for more information check my blog" when it says the exact same thing and I just wasted my time linking over! UHHHH!

That's all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
My #1 pet peeve is how I start making a card and loose stuff on my table when I haven't moved a bit!!!! I'm just sure that there is a black hole in my stamping room that sucks my stuff into a vortex and then spins them back out again after I've driven myself crazy looking for it and given up!

#2: gross grain ribbon(is supposed to be pronounced "grow" grain... NO /s/ SOUND). Folks mispronounced it twice at Regionals in Baltimore!

#4: Blog links that say "for more information check my blog" when it says the exact same thing and I just wasted my time linking over! UHHHH!

That's all
FOR #3
I believe when it is singular ( one cent) the t is audible
When it is plural ( 3 cents) it is pronounced like the word " sense". The t is silent.

FOR #2
And yes it is pronounced "grow grain' ribbon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #63  
Rubber Obsessor

We are a cranky lot aren't we?

I am a crank too, when it comes to spelling, grammar and pronunication. I think I am a frustrated English teacher who ended up doing something else in life.

Many blogs totally rub me the wrong way and I end up just gazing at the pictures. I'm the same watching tutorials, I try to not have the sound up at all.

The latest thing seems to be using texting shorthand in forum posts etc, like "ur", "gr8t" etc. :rolleyes: Oh, and all the quotation marks, exclamations, and every third word or so capitalized for emphasis. :confused:
Words like deets, catty, pop, bling, Cuddlebug, Momento. I could go on, but I'm getting very cranky....:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Interesting thread.... I guess I am not bothered by most of these things.

However, I do have one pet peeve. I don't like to see the same card design with a slight variation of that card posted 4, 5, 6, and so on times in the gallery. The only thing that has changed is a different color ink/CS, another stamp from the same set (for example the ornaments), or a different strip of ribbon or DSP. I get it -- seeing 6 different variations does not inspire me anymore than the first post (if that inspired me). If someone does this on their blog it doesn't bother me because it is their blog but I don't like to see it on the forum galleries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #65  
Gallery Gazer

I agree with Stamper for fun. I just over look the cards if they are alike but different colors from the sames designer. Then they wonder why they don't get comments. If you see one card, you seen them all. That's my pet peeve too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #66  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
Wow. I learned something new today. I am an educated person and I pronounce often with a t. Since I've never heard it without a t sound (like someone stated above-it's a regional thing) I looked it up and here is what the dictionary states:
USAGE When pronouncing often, some speakers sound the : t, saying 'off-ten'; for others, it is silent, as in : soften,: fasten,: listen. Either pronunciation is acceptable, although 'off-en' is more common.
Interesting. In Oregon, we pronounce the "t" as well. To me, anyone saying "often" without the "t" would sound like they were mispronouncing the word. I didn't realize that some people don't pronounce the "t." Definitely agree with it being a regional thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #67  
Stampin' Fool

:mrgreen: ROFL :mrgreen:

This is so me!

Quote:

:lol: ROFL :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using too small of a brad for a flower center. It just looks odd. Proportions, please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #69  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,078 Likes on 828 Posts

I've been following this for a couple of days and enjoying reading it.
Had to laugh this morning at the job/jab. Pronunciation certainly does vary, and has to be allowed for, but spelling is pretty standard, and I pick up on typos, although I wouldn't go as far as calling it a peeve. (Here, we got cents when we switched to the Euro, and we do pronounce the t; it's not heavily aspirated but there should be a difference between cents and sense).
I'd agree with everyone who doesn't like music on blogs - it puts me off commenting on some that I read in Google Reader; often the link for it is so far down that it takes a while to scroll down and turn it off.
I don't like a lot of contractions, but I certainly don't have problems (see post #49 ;-)) with DH, MIL and so on. Many people, me included, don't like using family members or friends names online, and those contractions are pretty much universally understood by people who use message boards.
Kittie is right, SCS do ask that people include a brief recipe - either in the write-up box or the fields provided - and that blog links be permalinks to the relevant post; it's in the site posting rules linked at the bottom of every page. It certainly bugs me both to find it's a general link and to find that there's no more information or details than in the gallery post.
Oh my, do I ever agree with things getting lost that you were using two minutes ago and you haven't even moved from your desk. That is definitely me, and bothers me more than all the rest, which I can be tolerant off even if I don't particularly like it.
Just on Stamper for fun's post about variations on the same card, I just reckon some people keep their gallery as a reference of their work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #70  
Kookie Creator

post # 64 I had to giggle a little at your comment about texting shorthand when I looked at your user name. Seems things bother us more when other people do them than it does when we do those things ourselves. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #71  
Crimping Master

My biggest pet peeve is having to type out the "security code" when posting a comment on a blog. I can never read the numbers and usually have to try it 2-3 times before getting it right. Drives me nuts!! You can have all comments go to your email inbox before they post to your blog to save people from having to type in the code. Annoying!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #72  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
My pet peeve is people post pictures in the gallery and then don't mention the supplies they used. It says see my blog .

Or they list the supplies in the gallery and then say see my blog for more information on this project . I go there expecting some information on the techniques they used and when I get there there is nothing but the list of supplies that was in the gallery. LOL

If they used a stamp, punch, embossing folder or die I have never seen I would like to know the name of it.
Tutorials if they have them of course belong on their blogs.
I'm guilty of this sometimes (like this morning). I struggle with keeping blogposts to a reasonable length so I don't bore people to tears and then when I try to be shorter, I end up leaving out any technique info, etc. It's good to read what others find annoying about blogs though. There's always room for improvement;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #73  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
Interesting. In Oregon, we pronounce the "t" as well. To me, anyone saying "often" without the "t" would sound like they were mispronouncing the word. I didn't realize that some people don't pronounce the "t." Definitely agree with it being a regional thing.
I agree with you, I live in Washington State and I have heard the T pronounce in "often" all my life and I am not a spring chicken....lol.

Maybe we are still considered "the wild west" and we don't know any better, ya think? But to leave the T out sounds like what everyone is talking about on the other posts about cutting words short .....to save time??....that makes me laugh.

When I hear words shortened, like "cattie", embellies, it makes me think of a bunch of junior high school girls chomping on their gum and talking 90 miles an hour.

Do the math girls, you really are not saving a whole lot of time,
adding two more correct letters to a word makes you sound so much more grown up and intelligent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #74  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a black hole in my crafting space too!! Crazy.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantala40View Post
I have to say that I totally agree with you on this. It's shocking to me how many emails I get from people with questions about things I post on my blog. Things that I've clearly stated & explained in the post. I've come to realize that a lot of people don't read :rolleyes:
I'm afraid you are right, Kerry. And that means "they" are not going to stop doing all those things that bug us - because they are not reading this thread. Ha!

I've been reading this since it started, and yes, we are all funny ducks. Some more funny than others.

Along that line, about people not reading, the posts that crack me up are ones that start something like this:

"Can anyone tell me what is a Cuttlebug?"

I just now Googled "cuttlebug" and there are 484,000 results. Plus, there are over 3,000 entries on the Cuttlebug FAQ sticky on this board alone.

How can someone ask a question like that? But they do.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #76  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=Evalou;17462857]I agree with you, I live in Washington State and I have heard the T pronounce in "often" all my life and I am not a spring chicken....lol.

Maybe we are still considered "the wild west" and we don't know any better, ya think? But to leave the T out sounds like what everyone is talking about on the other posts about cutting words short .....to save time??....that makes me laugh.
[QUOTE]

I totally agree - in fact, I wasn't aware that there even was another way to pronounce often without the 't' - if I heard it, I would think the person just wasn't well spoken - kind of like someone who would pronounce sandwich as a sammich (or worse yet, a sanguich!). Then again, I am from Canada (although about a 5 minute drive from Detroit Michigan, so heavily influenced by the American media), and apparently we have no idea how to spell properly. Neighbour, Centre, Labour, Programme, Cheque - every one of these words (and more) are caught in most spell-checking programs as incorrect. So, pronunciation is definitely a regional thing, as are using certain words. When I go shopping in the States, if I ask where the bathroom is, the clerks generally look at me as if I have two heads - it is apparently called the restroom. And if I don't want to die of thirst, I better remember to ask for a soda, not a pop. And, we also only have "funny money" - our Canadian bills are all coloured (not colored), and many clerks will ask me if it is special Monopoly money! And we won't even begin to discuss our loonies and toonies (one dollar and two dollar coins). However, my hard earned monopoly money is helping to drive the American economy, one piece of designer paper at a time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #77  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post

I totally agree - in fact, I wasn't aware that there even was another way to pronounce often without the 't' - if I heard it, I would think the person just wasn't well spoken - kind of like someone who would pronounce sandwich as a sammich (or worse yet, a sanguich!).
Just sticking up for the non-"t" people. I grew up in Kansas and have lived in Texas for 25 years. I very rarely hear often said with the "t" sound. I was probably an adult living in Texas (where everyone is from someplace else, it seems) before I ever heard it said that way.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #78  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post

That's all

FOR #3
I believe when it is singular ( one cent) the t is audible
When it is plural ( 3 cents) it is pronounced like the word " sense". The t is silent.

Actually, the "t" is pronounced in "cents".

FOR #2
And yes it is pronounced "grow grain' ribbon
This the exact thing I was referring to in my post. I understand different slang/vernacular being a regional thing, but mispronouncing words doesn't have anything to do with that or with regional accents. I just think that if people are speaking in a professional capacity, their pronunciation should reflect that as well. I'm also a stickler on grammar most of the time too... Just a couple of my idiosyncrasies. It doesn't really bother me too much in casual conversation or posts on forums because I know most people think faster than they can type (backspace and correct) or they're trying to get it out quickly.

Oh well, the question was asked...

Now, if the question was "What is your biggest craft related pet peeve?", then I would have to agree with lbirus on her first point. I'm constantly loosing things on my work table, or just plain can't find my stuff because I don't have enough room to store things properly and its all jammed into boxes in my bookcase. :mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #79  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Now, if the question was "What is your biggest craft related pet peeve?", then I would have to agree with lbirus on her first point. I'm constantly loosing things on my work table, or just plain can't find my stuff because I don't have enough room to store things properly and its all jammed into boxes in my bookcase. :mad:

Should be losing.....Sorry, just had to point it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #80  
Forum Fanatic

Ahhhhh so nice to see I'm not the only cranky one out there.

These past few years I've had less and less "extra" time to blog/gallery/forum surf and have come to appreciate the ability to unsubscribe or just not go back to blogs/galleries/forum conversations that drive me batty!

As for my own pet peeves (of which there are a lot and I definitely DON'T have the time to list them all) my absolute #1 is when people post "I seen ....."!! AURGH!

And the exclamation points and jibber-jabber that just gives me a headache to read ;)

Oh and spelling and grammar mistakes. Those don't bother me as much in forum conversations as we're all just chatting away and it's more time consuming to check but when reading a blog it's all I can do to read MULTIPLE spelling and grammar mistakes.

OK I'm done venting!!
Reply With Quote Likes