Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your favorite digital camera

We are going to buy a new one, my husband always
wants the best, but we don't ever use all the features.
The Nikon ($1200) is awesome but it so big. It is nice because we could use our lenses from our regular 35mm Nikon.
So now he is looking at the Fuji 7600 (I think that is the number), which is a lot more reasonable. We want to take action shots of the kids in sports so this one has a great feature. However, he just read one negative review somewhere and that will do it for him.
Can you share you likes and if any dislikes on the ones you have.
Thanks,
Kim
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Tell your husband he will find at least one negative review on ALL cameras. Trust me, been there done that. As a matter of fact there is a negative review to be found on ALL products, books, cars, etc.

I like my Kodak DX 6490. It has the option of taking pics in automatic where you just point and shoot or manual, where you control all the settings. THere are plenty of different automatic settings (night, action, burst, portrait). The battery has been terrific. The best thing is the optical zoom...10x...I can get really close. It seems that you know about cameras, so you probably know that digital zoom is worthless- you should only consider optical zoom.

I haven't really used any other camera, so I can't offer any other viewpoints. We paid $500 a year ago- I'm sure it has come down since then.

Sounds like your husband is doing some research on the internet. You will find so much info... Good luck!
Ashley

Good luck! You
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 05:35 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Default Oh yes,

he researches everything, he's an engineer which might explain it.!!
That is a good point about the negativity on evreything. I know when I read one it seems to stick with me and it shouldn't.
Can you take action shots with your Kodak? Our kids play hockey and that is pretty fast paced.
Thanks,
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 05:45 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Minolta DImage which I absolutely love. It is 4.0 megapixels and has both auto and manual settings, plus it will take short videos. I have had it for over a year and I'm VERY satisfied. It takes spectacular night pictures and has a great macro setting for taking pictures of cards!

I got it at Target when it was on sale for $399 plus I had a 10% off certificate from my Target Visa.

You do need to get a card reader for your computer. You can download from the camera, but it eats a lot of battery power. The card reader is cheaper than getting the AC/DC adapter and frees the camera up for another card. It comes with a 16 MB card, which is not very big if you want to take a lot of high quality shots. I ended up gettinga 512 MB card and now I have space and to spare!

You also need to get some rechargeable NIMH batteries and a charger. It will save you a ton of money if you recharge your own. And a second set of batteries is nice too, but the charger usually has your batteries ready in an hour or less, so it's not absolutely necessary unless you're going on vacation and don't want to have any down time on your camera!

HTH!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:02 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I don't have a digital camera myself, but I do want to say that I can back up JanTInk on the rechargeable batteries! We bought a charger and some batteries last winter and am glad we did. They are great! Less mess in the drawer where we used to keep all our batteries and even though the price of the rechargeable batteries may seem pricey, I think in the long run they are worth it. We use ours mostly for remotes and our wireless keyboard and mouse. When I do finally get a digital camera, I will be sure to get a set or two of rechargeable batteries for it.

www.cafemom.com/home/VoreisTwins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:05 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Oh, and back to the subject of digital cameras...our neighbor has a Fujifilm brand camera. I don't know which model number, but when she took pictures of her boy playing with our boys, my DH and I were very impressed with the quality of the photos! So now we are leaning towards purchasing a Fujifilm brand when we finally do go digital. I think our second choice will be HP.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:10 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Default OOOoh, Congratulations on

your 1 week old. Wow, you are on the computer too!
There are so many things to look at, I guess you just have to
decide what features you want.
Thanks,

Keep those personal favorites coming...........

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:12 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

hockeymom, the ticker means we have twins that are almost 3 1/2 years old.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:18 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Default boy, I didn't

look at that very carefully did I?
What a dork!!
That is what I get for trying to talk, read and type all at once.
My husband is loving these posts.
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:21 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I love the Lillypie tickers! I think they are so cute. The ones for four-year-olds is very recent.
I can see how my ticker is confusing. You're not the first one to misunderstand what it says. I think that if the two little boys in the car look more alike, it would help, or maybe say our twins instead of our children.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 08:31 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Hi Kim!

Are you talking about the Nikon D70? I have a friend that has one, and it is on my wish list now! The pictures she takes with it are incredible - they look professional, and they're so clear and sharp! The only downside my hubby sees is that we'll be going from a point and shoot to juggling multiple lenses (but I don't mind that change at all!), but since you already have a Nikon with different lenses, that shouldn't be an issue for you!

Good luck! I'd love to know what you get and how it turns out for you!
Billie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 08:56 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Default digital cameras

I bought an Olympus c765 and I love it! The feature that sold me was the 10x optical zoom. I wouldn't know what to do without it. The other features are very amatuer friendly and it also has features on it if you want to "branch out". I paid around $450 and that included a 16 MB card and a rechargable battery. I can get several shots on this battery which I understand is a rare commodity in the digital world. For am extra $20 I got an extra battery, a case, a lens cleaner and a 64 MB card through Ebay. Very satisfied!
I just bought this in June. I had researched on the internet as well as playing with them in the stores.
There's my 2 cents!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 10:48 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really want the expensive Nikon too!. I have the Nikon 5400 and I love it. I'm also a hockey mom and use it a lot for action photos at the rink. This is my second Nikon digital, and I doubt I'll ever buy any other brand.
And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 04:22 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

I just bought a Fuji S5000 and I love it! When I was looking I first decided how much I could spend and what features I really wanted. For me the most important feature was a 10X zoom. (BTW, it is 3.2 mp which is more than enough unless you enlarge bigger than 8X10.) That narrowed it down quite a bit. I then read reviews and talked to people who own it. I found some negative reviews but I compared the features I really cared about to the other cameras. There is no perfect digital camera just like there is no perfect film camera. I then found places locally that carried those brands and went to try them out. A great camera needs to feel good and be easy to use too.

Anyway that's how I decided and I'm very happy with my camera! Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 04:30 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I have a fuji fine pix and i should be a spokes person for this company.
i have had 3 family members purchase this camera. It has a great optical zoom 6X and does 1 min movies with sounds... and does great phtots... if you get this camera i will recommend the Cannon I850 or newer printer... it has the picoliter techonogy.... i am a avid scrapper and everyone is amazed when i tell them that we printed them on our printer.

you cannot go wrong with the Fuji.... tell your husband you cant believe everything you read.. and if he likes everything about it but finds something he does not just make sure he can take it back for a refund.

i hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to email me.

have a great day. ~Shari
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 05:08 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

i used to sell cameras, and we had examples of all of our cameras printed up on our kodak picturemaker. the ones with the BEST print quality was definately and olympus and a nikon. it has been a couple of years since i quit selling cameras.. and i am sure there have been changes made in manufactureres.. but a girl at work just bought a brand new olympus.. and i am still VERY impressed with print quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 05:10 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

go to http://www.dpreview.com. That's where my husband goes to research digital cameras. He really likes that site. Not that he buys a lot of digital cameras, but that's where he decides what new camera he'd buy if he had money to buy a camera! :-)

We have a Sony F707 Cybershot that we love. A bit more on the expensive side, but it does have a tripple burst that is great for action shots![/url]

Stampin' Up! demonstrator with a website!

What Can Lightbulb Do For You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 05:34 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Me again!
WIth the Kodak DX6490, you can set it in sports mode (which I never use) to capture action shots. You can also use burst mode which is where you hold the shutter button down and it takes 6 continuous shots one right after the other. I have used this and it works great. We took pics of our friends' kids jumping in the pool and they came out terrific.

You will not need a card reader with this camera as it comes with a docking station which recharges the battery as you are downloading the pics. I did have to buy a SD memory card as the internal memory is only 16 mb. I think you will find this is the case with most cameras.

Also, my camera has a 2.5 inch LCD viewer, which is one of the largest ones around.

FInally, here is a terrific site for comparing cameras.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Although I buy stuff online like crazy, I would suggest going to a Best Buy or similar store to check out what the camera feel like in your hands.

You have to let us know what you end up buying!!

Ashley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 06:37 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I have the Fuji FinePix S5000 also, and I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!! My DH is the same as yours, research, research, research! He finally decided on this one, and we have not had a single regret. It has the 6.2 megapixels, 10X optical zoom plus 2.2X digital zoom (oops! had that wrong the first time!!!!) does auto or manual mode, and is fun to use.
Have fun choosing yours!!
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/iam_monalisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 06:46 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Digi cameras

I have the Olympus 560 Zoom and I do love it - rechargeable batteries are a NECESSITY with this one though...

Recently I borrowed my mother's Kodak DX6490 and I want one now. It is one of the FEW cameras with 10x optical zoom. Zoom can be very very handy - and this is amazing. We have a birdfeeder in our yard and from all the way across the yard (hundreds of feet) I was able to take a close up shot of this bird with the Kodak - with the Olympus, you could maybe see the bird but it wasn't even a good shot of the birdhouse.... I would recommend the Kodak over the Olympus any day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 06:58 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

I think I must be the only one in the world with a Sony! We have a Sony DSC-P9 (4.0 megapixels) and love it! We actually ordered five other cameras including some with lower pixelation and played with them at home (we live in the sticks) and then returned all but this one. Another one we tried and really like was the Canon G2 (I think they may be up to G4 by now...) but for the few extra features which we probably wouldn't use, we couldn't justify the price difference. The site that we found the most useful for comparing cameras was http://g.msn.com/9SE/1?http://www.st...=1&CM=SIM&CE=1

HTH Jodi.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 09:01 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Default Wow, you gals are awesome!

Everybody likes something different!!
I don't know if that is good or bad :lol:
DH does go to all the comparison pages, which I think confuses more.
I think we have decided to go to Sam's, Costco, Best Buy or whatever and bring our own card in and take pictures. Come home and compare.
Yes, the Nikon is the cadillac, but I just can't see paying that much. By the time you buy all the extras that you need it will be close to $2000 (that does include an awesome warrenty).
Besides we always seem to over buy. Want to be money smart this time.
He does know what optical zoom and mega stuff if he wants.
Did I mention that this was for "ME". When I wanted a point and shoot years ago, he ended up getting that $1000 Nikon with zoom. It is huge.
So I have to reign him in a bit. He is off playing golf right now so maybe I can do my own research.
Anyway, I have a list of all the models you have mentioned so off we go.
Thanks tons to you all.
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 09:32 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

We just got the new Nikon Cool Pix 5.1 a few months ago and I loooooove it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes