Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is your idea of the perfect class?

If you were going to take a papercrafting class (one you had to pay a fee for), what would make it perfect for you?

Do you like a bunch of different projects or a theme like a technique or holiday?

Would you want all the the material prepped (everything cut to size and packaged) so you just do the stamping and assembly? Or would you rather do some prepping yourself so you can learn how and try different tools.

How long should the class be? How many projects? Would you rather a few more complex projects or more simple ones (or a mix)?

Would you want written instructions or tip sheets to take home even if it made the class slightly more expensive?

I'm trying to refine my offering of local classes. The ones I have done have been pretty well received but there is always room for improvement.

Currently I have mostly (but not all) novice stampers in my classes. So sometimes I struggle to keep it new and exciting, but not too complicated at the same time.

I would love to hear about other people's opinions and experiences about what makes a class really great.

(and maybe things that really bug you during a class)

Thanks!

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not done a class. I haven't found any close to me that offer a class at a good time for me. I have done several make & take type classes with my SU demo.

I like all the prep work done. If you are doing it for beginners, they may not have the products you use at home so it may not matter if they learn how to do it in class. BUT, it would be nice to demonstrate in front of them to show how an item is used.

I would think a class not be more than 1 1/2 hours with 3-4 projects. Depending on how hard they are, maybe 2-3. I always like a mix! I know that I get projects together faster than a friend of mine. I often help her get finished when I am done.

I think one thing you could incorporate (if not already!) is how to repurpose items. That is one thing I have learned from SCS and didn't really think of it before. Maybe I am just not so creative???? I loved seeing a decorated and crimped simple lunch bag at my first SU party. How simple but I never thought of it! I love the altoid tin projects and plan to make several for friends and family who always say they don't have a good place to keep all the gift cards together.

Instructions and tips would be a good bonus for beginners. I always think, I can remember how to do that and then I don't!

I hope my 2 cents is helpful! Good luck with your future classes!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I think pre prepped items are great for projects that are more involved. I did a class last year at my LSS to make a 4 panel waterfall card. We all had to cut out lots of squares for layering etc. and there weren't enough paper trimmers to go round - because of that it was a rush for some of us to complete the card in the class time. It was so annoying having to wait for a trimmer and I definitely would have liked some prep work to have been done on that particular class beforehand. So you can add not enough supplies to the 'what bugs me' list LOL!

We did receive printed instructions to take home which was definitely appreciated.

Mostly I like to make a few cards - but then again I took a colouring class last year where we didn't even make a card! I enjoyed it immensely, the tutor showed us many techniques and we stamped some images. We then spent the rest of the class practising colouring and she came round to see how each of us were getting on and gave more advice and tuition as needed. I knew upfront that we wouldn't make a project or card so I was OK with that - but we did all go home with images we could put on cards at home.

I personally go to classes to learn something I haven't tried before, so a new technique or a new style of card. Themes or cards for specific occasions would also appeal to me too.

Last edited by FubsyRuth; 03-12-2008 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Clarified meaning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I think it would be interesting to do a couple of cards that have a wheel to match or a punch that goes with the card

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I've taken sooooo many classes over the last 10 years and I have lots of thoughts about this!!
First - make sure there are enough stamps to go around. It really irks me when there is one stamp set and the whole class has to share it. I stopped taking a class from one instructor because of this - I spent more time waiting for the stamp than actually doing the work.
I like several projects, but it really depends upon the time. Between 2 - 4 hours is the max for me. A theme is ok, especially around christmas.
For prepping, if there are alot of projects, then I like some of the things cut ahead of time - like if things are going to be mounted on pieces of card stock, then cut those pieces out. It's really nice if the card is scored (a big plus in my book) but it is not necessary.
Written instructions are a waste in my mind. Even when I was a beginner I never ended up referring to them, unless it was an especially complex fold.
If you need people to bring supplies, like adhesive or a paper trimmer - tell them up front!! I signed up for a class and the instructor wrote - all supplies included - when we go to class she said we needed to bring scissors, tape, a ruler, etc. It was the same instructor that I mentioned above. When someone tells me "all supplies included" I take that literally! I don't mind bringing scissors, adhesive, etc and will even share - but tell me up front!
Have enough room - I hate being so squeezed in that I can't get out of my chair without 5 other people having to move. Also, I tend to stand when I stamp and just need more room.
Hope this helps!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

How I organize my classes: A teacher's take

I have 5 projects (4 cards and 1 3-D)
Each table (yes I have 5) has it's own supplies laid out. Everything needed to complete the project is available. including adhesives
Pre-cut: I do as much as possible without "doing it all"
Punches: I try always to have some pre-punched and some that wish to do their own the punch is available. If I have a project where there is need of a single punch for different tables..I pre-punch one table so they don't have to share. I borrow extra tools when needed (sisters are great!)
Ink Pads:I purchase 2 stamp pads in the popular/most used colors.
Model:a model of each completed project is at individual tables. If a special fold is being done..I have a working model *unstamped with instructions on it and score instructions.

I do this for ease of projects, less running around for me, to make sure I have enough of everything, for everyone to enjoy themselves..and when there is a waiting lull...there's snacks!

I limit my class size and hold 2 the same day. I allow 2 1/2 hours per session. Can't make my class?? I also offer to make projects for my ladies that want them but can't attend..the cost is the same as the class. They LOVE this..because they hate missing out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with Nancy on everything. Our club has become a chore rather than fun. There are 11 of us and we spend 90% of the time waiting to do something. She usually does 3 very simple projects, which we do one at a time. So we sit around and wait.

Also if it is a challenging card with lots to do, one would be great or may that one and a simple one.

Right now my demo is keeping everythign pretty basic. It is not challenging and consequently not fun either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I go to monthly classes and I agree with Nancy. I like everything about the classes I go to. I look forward to them each month! Something that I haven't seen mentioned is, have TWO instructors at the class. In the classes that I go to, my demo and her upline are the two instructors. There are two tables, so the students are divided up into two smaller groups. They have two different projects at any given time for each table, which cuts way down on the wait time for people waiting for a tool or ink pad, etc. The tables are laid out with the pre-prepped (usually pre-cut cardstock, but sometimes there are pre-punched stuff too) materials for the first projects. Each bunch of material for following cards/projects are in their own separate containers, all ready to be handed out (pre-cut cardstock, etc.) or placed in the center (ink pads, stamps, etc). They are super-organized.

About 5 days before each class, everyone gets an email reminder, in which they tell us what supplies to bring (like Nancy's suggestion).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom0fgirlsView Post
If you were going to take a papercrafting class (one you had to pay a fee for), what would make it perfect for you?

Do you like a bunch of different projects or a theme like a technique or holiday?
I like both different projects and themes (like techniques or holidays). Since these classes are on-going - they've offered different projects AND themes!

Quote:

Would you want all the the material prepped (everything cut to size and packaged) so you just do the stamping and assembly? Or would you rather do some prepping yourself so you can learn how and try different tools.
I like a mixture. The paper is usually already cut for us, which I like, but they let us do a lot, like using the needle and the holes-template (forgot what it's called) and other cool punches and stuff. So a mixture is nice.

Quote:

How long should the class be? How many projects? Would you rather a few more complex projects or more simple ones (or a mix)?
Two hours is fine for me. Usually we do four cards, but sometimes if a project is time consuming or complex, we just do one. I like both.

Quote:

Would you want written instructions or tip sheets to take home even if it made the class slightly more expensive?
No. I would dislike this, especially if it would raise the price. I never look at instructions either, not even for complex folds.

I really enjoy the classes I go to just 'cause it's fun. The instructors are fun, the other people are fun (and funny), and the projects are fun. Even if I know how to do 90% of the stuff, it is still fun to use stamps, tools, and punches that I don't have. Sometimes, they'll also teach a techique that I've seen here on SCS but didn't like, but when I actually do it in the class, I think "ohhhh, this is why people like that technique".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

one thing i would like to see in a class is a color copy of the sample card. when i say a copy, i mean a copy on paper not another card.

seeing the actual card is great but with a large class (6 or more), having a color copy of the card on paper to share between two people makes it much easier than waiting for people to pass the card or having it get stuck down on one end of the table (usually the end i am not sitting at).

so 10 people in the class, 5 color copies on copy paper.

that would be my only suggestion. you seem to have all the basics covered very well.

also, i have learned to bring my own tools as i don't like to have idle time. i bring my own scissor, bone folder, adhesive, paper piercer, etc. in that way i can usually be prepping some part of the card while waiting for the stamp and ink pad to come my way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Thanks so much for input everyone!

My current classes are much like Londonblue. I also usually do 4 cards and one 3D, have samples, etc.

I prep everything possible and put it in the card envelopes - so each person gets their supplies divided by project. Each person has an adhesive to use - and I supply all the tools needed. They just show up and then leave with finished cards.

I teach by myself - so I really need to plan carefully. I try to explain what we are going to do as an overview then start one side of the table on one part on the project and the other side on a different part. (Trying to ease having to wait for stamps or other supplies). I would love to have more than one set of stamps - but I just can't afford that right now.

So far, I've had the most success with everyone working on the same project at the same time - but when someone is finished I get them started on the next thing. I end up explaining things over and over, but I don't want anyone having to wait. I tried stations for each card - but no one wanted to move, so they just started passing supplies back and forth - it got confusing.

I also have a selection of different sentiments they can use inside the card - and sometimes offer variations in case they want a card for a different occasion than the sample.

One thing I'm experimenting with is offering some supplies that they use in the class and then keep. Like my next class they will get 3 Versamagic dew drops. Not sure how this is going yet..........

Participants really seem to enjoy the classes - but sometimes I wonder if I do too much for them.

I have not provided written instructions - and it sounds like I shouldn't bother.

I really appreciate your opinions! Its really helpful to hear what people like and don't like.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelinoregonView Post
one thing i would like to see in a class is a color copy of the sample card. when i say a copy, i mean a copy on paper not another card.
That is a great idea! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I have taught at my LSS on and off since I was about 15 (I'm 19 now). However, from a consumer stand point, I like pre-prepped, all inclusive (I don't want to have to purchase ANYTHING to take the class), technique based classes. I want to learn something!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Default The SU Demo I have has Stamp Camp twice a year.

There is a total of 50 people who attend. Time for the event is from 10 to 3 p.m. The cost for the event is $25 which includes supplies and lunch. Lunch is salad, sandwich and fruit.

We usually do 6 project with each table having it's own supplies laid out. Everything is pre-cut and label in baggies. We get a book of instructions along with a color photo of the completed projects.

The projects vary regarding difficulty. I enjoy the stamp camp even if it's a card or technique I have done in the past. I try to come up with a "new" way of creating the project.

The only complaint I have is there are never enough stamps and pads available to do the projects. Also, the loudness of everyone talking at once. Most of the time the SU demostrator gives a special if you order during stamp camp, like $5 off your order. I will tell you that her stamp camps are very successful. Hope this gave you some insight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

As a new demo, and planning my first workshop, I'm subscribing to this thread.... thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer -- and thanks for posing the question, MomOfgirls!!

Last edited by Phantom; 03-12-2008 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Please have enough supplies! Dont expect 10 people to share one tape runner, one stamp pad, one stamp set, etc. To teach larger groups, buy more supplies - if you dont have enough, then teach smaller groups.

I have been to too many 'classes' and most of us just end up not making anything because we are so irritated. And the idea of having a photo copy for everyone to refer back to is a superb idea!

best of luck to you,
Valerie

My blog at: andmylittledogtoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I definately appreciate having all the items cut and ready for me, just not punches, because I think it's great for those to be hands on.

Also if you have several tables to do the projects at make sure there is more than one set of instructions for people to read. And a second finished card or copy of a finished card is a wonderful idea. I used to go to a stamp camp with a woman who would pay for 3 spots so she could make 3 of each card. This made her feel entitled to hoard the sample and one set of instructions as well as most of the supplies. More than one item is sooooo appreciated.

And depending on how large your venue is I would definately limit the people you admit. My demo had 4 tables with about 4 seats each but for years would let 40 or more people come at the same time. (along with the lady who hoarded everything) There was soooo much standing around and waiting and feeling rushed it was just NOT worth it. Finally she started to limit 20 people and it has been so much nicer.

Also for me and my friends, food is not important. I don't like to eat and stamp (especially at somebody elses home with their supplies) and I never take a break to eat. So if your charging for food then maybe make sure that most people actually want to eat. I would actually prefer to get a discount for not eating.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 03:14 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Thanks everyone.....

For those of you that give classes, how do you bring new people in to classes? I have used mainly word of mouth (people bring friends to the next class - I sometimes give an incentive like money off a purchase for bringing a firend). It is working OK - but I would like to expand and am wondering how others do that.

Maybe I should mention that I am not SU!, I am independant and I don't have a LSS to work out of - I use space at my church.

BTW - I started my business by doing a charity cardmaking event as a fundraiser for a project at the church. This worked very well for me because I had people who were stampers, but also people who never tried it before but just wanted to support the charity. A few of those new people have really stuck with it and became "regulars". Just a thought for someone getting started.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 03:21 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjdeedView Post
Please have enough supplies!
I really agree with this and try to have enough. One thing I learned is to go ahead and have an adhesive for each person to use (or at least 1 for 2 people).

I limit my class to 10 (because its just me teaching). I have 3 full sets of watercolor pencils and 5 waterbrushes - and sometimes we still get backed up a little! But I can work with half the table assembling the card and the other half stamping and coloring, then switch. That seems to work ok.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I like to learn something at a class. Teach me a technique even if it's one I already know. Perhaps you have a different way of doing it that I can learn. I don't like to be handed a baggie of pre-cut, punched stuff. To just take that baggie and paste paper on paper is no challenge to me. The learning involves the whole process to really see how things go together. There's also tricks to cutting things out you can learn from others.

Having a sheet of detailed instructions for completing the project is great to take home for future reference.

People should be told to bring all their own tools, even if they have to substitute a different stamp, ink pad or punch, etc. The technique is the important thing to learn. You may like to use a flower punch, I may want to use a rabbit punch or stamp, let me choose. If teaching a technique with a tool I don't have, I can learn and watch then decide for myself if I want to purchase that tool with my next order or from the store.

NO FOOD OR DRINK !!!!! Makes for a mess, smells and sticky. You won't starve if not eating for 2-3 hours. Have food in a different room after, if you want.

Keep group proportional to the size of room/space. Are you trying to make a profit or have a social time for friends? If profit is your only goal, then have multiple classes. Also let people know in advance exactly what you will be teaching, so they can decide if they want to attend.

I also don't want to feel pressured to complete the project at that time. I can learn things from watching the Instructor and others. Then complete the project at home. I have never used what I've made at any of these classes. I see them as examples of what I've learned and then do my own at home.

Have enough elbow room for people to work, but still be able to talk with others. If someone really needs to stand to stamp, they should move to another area. Don't stand next to me if I'm sitting, I feel that's rude.

When I teach classes at a local store, I teach methods, not do a make and take. The students go home with samples of techniques and ideas of how they can incorporate those techniques into their crafting projects.

I also feel (like in the case of a Stampin' Up Consultant doing classes in her home), it's better to have different classes so that each class those attending are at approximately the same level of crafting ability and knowledge. A beginner is too intimidated next to a person who has been crafting for years. By the same token, sitting next to a person who doesn't know how to ink a stamp is very frustrating also. I am there to learn, not teach the person next to me how to do things.

Again, I really appreciate a detailed instruction sheet with pictures/diagrams of the project, so I can keep for my reference.

I'm willing to pay for the class if I can get something out of it to learn. Yes, I do feel one of the points of the class is socialization, but also learning, too.

Thanks for letting me say my opinions.....these are just my opinions.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I think supplies are important also. I've taken classes and it seems like everytime I take a class with someone or somewhere there are not enough supplies. I've even heard people around me at certain classes complain about the same thing. I took a class once where I had to wait almost 15 minutes to use the paper cutter.

Plus, I think if people are told that all supplies are included than at least have enough adhesive (as others suggested) and enough scissors for everyone (if they are expected to cut out anything). I would have preferred I was told to bring scissors if I knew there weren't going to be enough for everyone. Most of us own a pair so bringing them isn't a big deal. (I brought my own scissors to one class after learning there weren't always enough and had the girl next to me borrow them so I still ended up waiting for my own scissors. LOL!!)

Quote:

I like to learn something at a class. Teach me a technique even if it's one I already know. Perhaps you have a different way of doing it that I can learn. I don't like to be handed a baggie of pre-cut, punched stuff. To just take that baggie and paste paper on paper is no challenge to me. The learning involves the whole process to really see how things go together. There's also tricks to cutting things out you can learn from others.
Excellent point! I feel the same way. I feel like so much of the work is already done before I get to a class that I'm not able to go home and recreate what I learned sometimes.

Thank you ladies for your input, I too am beginning new classes as an instructor and have found all of this advice very invaluable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

color copies ...hmmm I think it's a wonderful idea! there is always one person that "hold" onto the card. I'll try this on Sunday! TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonblueView Post
color copies ...hmmm I think it's a wonderful idea! there is always one person that "hold" onto the card. I'll try this on Sunday! TFS
I always try to include a color copy of the project and instructions that inlcude the specific supplies I've used. If someone gives the card away, they can always re-produce it very easily!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I did not get into stamping via SU so my take on this is probably different than others. I also got bored with cardmaking years ago and do mixed media work now so I prefer techniques to specific projects. That way I can use that technique as I choose to. So if I make a project in the course of learning a technique, great. However, some of the best classes I've taken had me going home with no project per se, but a stack of background papers or images to incorporate into projects at home. I know though that many people are upset or disappointed if they don't walk away with cards or a project.

If there is a lot of cutting involved, then having all the parts ready is great especially if it's a complicated project to assemble. The exception would be if using the tool is the technique (like the time I learned how to solder). On the other hand, I do prefer that the teacher have adequate supplies so I don't have to stress over packing and hauling my own supplies with me.

Another thing is space. There is a LSS that gets great instructors in to teach, but you so close to the other students that you feel claustrophobic. So I rarely take classes there. Maybe this is just me, but being able to spread out a bit without spilling into someone else's workspace constantly is nice. I also hate feeling as if I'm being a pain to to others or disruptive if I need to get up and stretch or use the bathroom.

I prefer written instructions, even if they are brief, to jog my memory later if I don't get a chance to go home and immediately play with every technique I learned. If the project requires much assembly or a bookbinding technique, I think this is a must.

Another poster mentioned two instructors. I have taken classes where the instructor had a helper. That was nice because there was another person to ask questions of. You don't have to wait as long to get the instructor's attention.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I'm a SU demo and I hold a stamp camp about once a month. If it's close to a holiday I make sure that at least one of our projects is in that theme. I limit my classes to 12 people and usually have two projects going at once to try to limit the waiting for tools. I try to plan my projects so that they do not use the same tools also. I usually have just light snacks as most people are there to stamp, not eat. Thanks for the tip about having a second example or color copies-that's great and I should have thought of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #25  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I think written instructions are a must if there are new people you don't know. You tend to get the one or 2 who can't remember too many steps, are nervous , or may have a learning disability. Having written instructions is good for that.
Borrow supplies from others when you can. Try your upline or a good customer whom you know has that set etc. Offer a discount or something in return. (this is for those of you who sell stamps of course-not the OP) I usually show the basic project AND 2 "stepped up" versions with more embellishments at workshops. I usually have a separate sentiment station. That is where I put appropriate sentiments from various sets and black ink. Those who finish early can go over and choose sentiments to stamp inside. When doing SAS, I place everything in a Glad brand plastic baking dish. I also find that the ladies won't change stations so we just put all the stuff back in the dish and change the dish between tables. I do not allow swapping of stuff between tables. If you are done get munchies, get sentiments, do a small thing from my scrap box, or something else for a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimInIowaView Post
I always try to include a color copy of the project and instructions that inlcude the specific supplies I've used. If someone gives the card away, they can always re-produce it very easily!

Kim
I like this idea. Then if I want to order the stamp set at a later date I don't have to hunt through the catalog. Make it easy for me to spend my money!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I love the idea of having a 2nd example - and you could give that away as a prize when the workshop is over!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I like complicated b/c I catch on really quick, but I have friends that even the simplest things are actually kinda hard....and need lots of guidance.

I think it depends on the clientele
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Smile UK Card Class

My ideas may be slightly different as I can only go by my experiences with Uk card classes. I basically attend classes at 2 different types of stores. 1 is a general stamp store - a more expensive one that stocks penny black, whipper snapper, tilda, cuttlebug, cricut, bazzill and more of the expensive American stock. The other is a UK stock based company and sells mainly Docrafts and Dovecraft products, which although can be nice are not of the same quality imo as American products.

Anyways - the first store does the SOTM for Great Impressions that I usually attend and she has everything precut roughly to size (we do have to check her measurements though, which she tells us to do just in case she's a bit off) and in the chosen colors. She also has all the general supplies - scissors, sticky tape, marvy markers etc on each table and then the precise supplies you need to make each card in a basket. Usually there are 8 people and 4 cards to make so 2 people work from one basket at a time. This way works well until you've finished before anyone else has and you can't move onto the next card until you can get the basket. Also you don't have the choice in colors other than the markers you use but they normally have to go with the chosen papers.

The second store is more about techniques - she will demonstrate a technique and you then use the supplies to make a card using that technique. Everything is out on the table (there's usually only 4/5 people round her dining room table), but you are limited to what she has available that day and sometimes the sample she has made includes things she hasn't got with her, because she made them at the store and her classes are in her house. I like the freedom of choosing what colors I want, but she has limited supplies so you usually end up waiting for a while until someone else has finished with the stamp/ink/cutter etc. I actually have stopped going to her classes now as I have learnt everything from her that I can and she keeps repeating ideas and techniques.

I think the key to any class is to look at your customers and see what they can already do and keep the ideas and techniques fresh and exciting. I like having the choice to choose my color scheme but it might be easier for big groups for the colors to be limited to maybe one family at a time, so your customers can see which colors go well together from that set.

And definately have enough tools to go round or get your customers to bring their own scissors, adhesive and trimmers if necessary.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Vannessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

In the SU class I go to my demo has 2 different projects typically at two different spaces. We rotate spaces or just switch projects depending on what works best at that class. Then there is one smaller project off to the side. If we finish quickly then you can go stand up and work on the mini project at a different table. It works well. She is always showing us new product, tools, and techniques. It makes class interesting. She also does a contest on occassion and also a giveaway periodically. I really wouldn't change anything except make it so that I never miss one. The one thing that I did not like when I went to a CKC convention class was being extremely rushed. They promised so many projects in an hour and so had to rush you to get it done. I would rather they did one project well and then handed me some freebies with instructions.
Proud Angel #3898

Last edited by cramgal; 03-14-2008 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: I apparently couldn't count.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I usually have 12-19 people when I have classes. I use glue sticks and I definitely have enough for everyone to have their own. If they want to use anything other than a glue stick, they can bring it. I charge $5 for 3 cards--nicely embellished cards. And what I do that I think really is a help is that I separate into 3 groups. So, there's never more than 4 or 5 at a table, and they don't have any problems sharing the supplies. I also try to plan around this problem. I will try to make a card that uses one stamp per one ink pad, and it can be passed while the others are using the other stamps/pads. I've beeing doing this for 8 years, and I keep learning as I go. I also take each project in a little craft tote, so when I get there I just put each tote on the table. And then, it's easy to pass the projects around to the other tables when they're done. I hope that helps.
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

As a student of many classes, DEFINITELY pre-prep everything that needs to be cut. Us students only want to do the fun stuff (like stamping) and have a tip sheet to take home to try everything on our own later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 04:48 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

All your classes sound great -- I wish I could come!

My SU demo does really good monthly classes. She holds them 3 times on the same day so none is extremely crowded. Usually two hours reserved but we often finish early. There are usually 2 to 3 projects/cards depending on difficulty. She preps everything and sorts it into shoe bins. She always has plenty of supplies except asks that we BYOA (bring your own adhesive). Since the classes are "free" for club members I think that's more than fair.
She has one finished sample and does one in front of us for the beginners to observe. Then we split into 2 or 3 tables by project and just move to the next table once we finish a card.

The LSS stores here offer excellent classes too but I'm always reluctant to take them because they are to make a certain "project" -- either a set of cards or some sort of album. While the projects are always gorgeous, I often don't know what I'd use something for so I don't sign up. The LSS has a technique tuesday program where you just drop in anytime from noon to 2 to try a technique (like fun flock, rub-ons, collage). LOVE THIS! There's no charge but anyone who comes usually ends up buying lots of stuff anyway.

What I'd love to see are more "fundamentals" classes. Things like "cutting and scoring" with tips and tricks and different tools to try or ways to use them; "inks for all occasions" with understanding different ink types and the best times to use them; Finally, I'm dying for a good coloring class!!!!

Just two cents from one consumer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2008, 06:17 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Here is a picture of my class coming up the end of March.

The froggy card is a pop-up. The B-day candles are covered with microbeads.

We are doing a lot of stamping in color inside the cards and on envelopes. The class includes 3 inkpads (2 Versamagic Dew Drops and on Colorbox cats eye). That way, no one has to wait for ink pads. One part of the group can work on the inside and envelopes while the other works on main images, then switch. When I've done this before, it really eases the demand for any particular stamp.

I prep everything in advance because the class is only 2 hours long. I plan to incorporate that idea of having color copies of the cards available.

All occasion card class by Mom0fgirls at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

I am in a stamping club. We meet every month and make three projects. They are almost always cards, using different techniques, vary in technicality and every once in a while there is a 3D project. Each person is a hostess one month, and we have nine people in our group, so we meet for nine months (we break over summer). We agreed to buy $25 of product each month and I feel it is very successful. This is our second year, and some of the people have changed. This may be one way to get new people into your classses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by askagainView Post
. . . Finally, I'm dying for a good coloring class!!!! . . .
I don't know if e-learning interests you, but, there is a coloring class for art-stamping offered on MCC, that begins in April. Colleen Schaan is the instructor and she is awesome!

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I also feel (like in the case of a Stampin' Up Consultant doing classes in her home), it's better to have different classes so that each class those attending are at approximately the same level of crafting ability and knowledge. A beginner is too intimidated next to a person who has been crafting for years. By the same token, sitting next to a person who doesn't know how to ink a stamp is very frustrating also. I am there to learn, not teach the person next to me how to do things.
I won't make my post long because all of you gave awesome advice & I agree with it :-) I just wanted to point out Patti's quote here & give a huge "YES!!!" to this comment. While I don't mind helping someone a bit during a class, I am not there to teach - I am there to learn & work on the projects. Make sure the 'degree of difficulty' is clear in the class description & what's expected of the stamper (inking stamps, using punches, etc.).

One last thing I really appreciate during a class is: No Children. I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't want little kids running around or crying babies while I am trying to enjoy the class. I also don't always appreciate some of the older kids in a class - I've had more than one experience with a very annoying pre teen girl who is always at the stamp camps I attend. My feeling is if you can't attend a class sans kids, don't go. Sorry, stamping is my time, not kid time IMO. Again, not meant to offend anyone!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2008, 05:45 AM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I've taken classes at local shops, retreats, our stamp club, and SU! stamp camp. I'm thinking of teaching classes independent of any store and I'm not affliated with SU!.

What is amazing to me is the variation in cost. I've taken "free" classes at a local store but the supplies to make the project was $40 and I understand the trade off for getting the class for free.

Other classes taken with noted artist like Tim Holtz, Michael Jacobs, etc. are usually around $65+ and you buy your own supplies.

SU! stamp camp is $25 and it is the ONLY class other than the retreats where all the supplies are provided.

I expect to pay about $35 for a class and I provide the materials. Hmm, makes me think I'm in an expensive market.

For our stamp club, the host provides all the supplies and also sends out the list of things you need to bring (stamp pads, glitter, etc.). We're a small group so we can share if someone does not have them. Also, the host makes several copies of the project or provides pictures so we can follow the sample.

Stamp camp is the only class where you don't bring your own kit. Everyone publishes the contents of what should be in your basic kit. I have a traveling kit that I keep packed in my cart so I just add what I need for anything special.

Written instructions - the responses have me in a quandry. It seems that in a class if you take time to make notes you miss something and then I get home and have trouble remembering. I know that in my stamp club they like the instructions and go back and read them. I'll have to think about if they are worth it. I think it will be a yes for new techniques, but if just a card, you can copy then there is no need.

I think my problem is going to be picking the right project. I won't know all the attendees experience level and even if you announce the level, expecially for intermediate/advanced, people always misjudge their ability.

At a retreat I saw 2 stampers brought to tears because they could not keep up. The retreat registration explained they should be at a minimal intermediate level and these women barely knew how to emboss. I felt so sorry for them. But, I'll need to keep this in mind for teaching.

Major frustrations: not enough project samples, not enough supplies (hate to wait for others to finish), people talking when we're getting isntructions (very rude), too cramped, and the biggy - instructors not prepared. I've been to classes where it seemed the instructor never made the project before and others where they waited to late to order the supplies and they didn't come in time.

Even so, I want to teach some workshops and all the ideas on this post are great help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi

This thread is really interresting. I wanted to add my comments. First of all excuse my poor English writing as my first language is French.

I am teaching stamping classes and here is how I found that was working best for me

The only type of class I am teaching is groups of 8 persons max. Actually this is a group of 6 classes tough once a month or byweekly. So it is the same group of people who sign up for the session of 6 classes.

I charge 20$/night so it is 120$ for the session for a 2 1/2 hours class and it includes the material except for the adhesiv and scisors. I ask those who have them to bring their tools and than leave mine for those who do not have them.

To evaluate the time that I think it will take to them to do the project I triple the time that it took to me to do it (I do not calculate in that my research and my try and error time). So I work with a chronometer. (I am also a painter teacher since 8 years noe and I found it was a good ratio to evaluate the time that it takes to people to do each steps of the projects to do

If there is an holiday comming I will use the theme to design my projects.

To help me decide what I am gone a teach and prepare as of project I made a master list in Excel with columns titled like this: TECHNICS, TOOLS, KIND OF PAPER, ADHESIF,... and I put the date beside each of the element in my spreadsheet of items I have shown in my 2 projects/class night.

I never provided written instructions. I will provide a copy of diagrams for Iris folding or copy of a template used for a project that is it.

When I demo THE technique for a project I ask everyone so stand up and look close at what I am demoing so that way people stop talking together or they stop whathever they are doing and you have all their attention. If there is a special thing that you want them to take attention too I tell them right in front when I do THE thing.

So to keep the everyone busy I devide the project in small chuck (steps) and they can do these parts while waiting for a stamp to be available or a tool as unfortunatly I can not afford to purchase 2 or 3 of the same stamp. I usually give 3 steps a the time and I wait that everyone complete these 3 steps before going ahead with the 3 next steps.

Example: 1 steps it is the left end of the table who start with the step 1, the middle of the table start with the step 2 and the right end of the table with the step 3. AND I ask to pass the tools, stamps... to the next person to their left (clockwise). That way you reduce the missing steps that someone could have forgot to do as the persone juste before just did it and can show to the next one the resutl

Last thing. Food and drink are not allowed at the working table. I have an other small table where they can put their water bottle or coffee or pops.

SO that is it what I wanted to share with you

Happy stamping

Sandra Paul
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Sandra, thanks for the great adivice on timing and the idea of roatation. I had been wondering how to bypass purchasing multiple stamp sets. I also like the idea of everyone watching at one time, especially beacuse they won't be talking "as much." It is so disturbing when you are trying to hear the instructor and the participants continue to talk among themselves. Again, thank you for great info. Pauline
Reply With Quote Likes