Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #121  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivi's MommyView Post
I am still confused as to why on earth they kept Dried Blood (AKA Bravo Burgandy).
Okay, that needed a spew alert. . . . .

I've never gotten too excited about that color, but I did like how it turned out on our Christmas menus this year. . . .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #122  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
The 5 new colours plus the 10 returning In Colours are going to be part of the core colour collections. There will be an additional 5 colours debuting as the In Colours in July. I dunno what they are although I've heard rumours!

I don't know ...

There's going to be 40 colours (not 48 ) in the core collections.

As to whether they'll be regular colours? Yes, they'll be regular as long as SU finds them to remain current with current colour trends. We all know that colours come and go so I think it's smart of SU to tell you right out now that colours will come and go every few years. It makes sense, right?

What to do with retired stuff ... well, that's really up to you. Yes, it would bite to have a dry ink pad and lots of cardstock or vice versa. Purchase what you think you'd need or allow it to just simply go away and move on. Whatever works best for you.

I just wish I could still buy (and wear) poodle skirts, velour pants, bobby socks, and have a plastisized couch ... (kidding)
Renee, thanks for answering.

It just seems pretty drastic that they're retiring 29 colors. Over half of their "basics". I can understand every year weeding out a few colors.

I'm still relatively new to this hobby so since this is the first time something like this is happening (since I've started) I think I'm just experiencing a bit of shell shock.

And maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I don't see how one can compare a basic rust color (like "Really Rust") to poodle skirts. In fact, I'm not sure how those skirts were even popular WHEN they were popular. ;)

Then again, I don't get the whole "Oh my gosh...that color is SOOO 2009!" Again... I'll have to play the "guy" card on that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #123  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyinkerView Post
The 4 collections have 10 colours each and they are here to stay until the next colour makeover. In addition, there will be 5 in-colors added in July 2010. These 5 in-colors will be active for 2 years. In July 2011, 5 new in-colors will be introduced and they will be active for 2 years as well, which means that these two groups of in-colors will overlap for one year, bringing total number of colours up to 50. This will continue to happen until the next makeover. HTH.
Yep...this is VERY clear. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #124  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post
Yep...this is VERY clear. Thanks so much!
Glad I could help! :-)

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #125  
Gallery Gazer

I found the answer to my own question! The marker case holds 48, there will be after the change only 38 core color markers (White and Vanilla do not have markers) and the empty slots can be used to rotate the changing In colors. That makes me happy!!!

Also, SU is going to provide a new insert which is wonderful b/c I was still using an old insert from the last change and it was bugging me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #126  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
That one does surprise me, as well. That has been one color requested repeatedly.

On my computer TT and the new Marina Mist look almost the same, I wonder how close they really are?
where are you seeing the actual colors??

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #127  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Well 29 colors are retiring and that is what I was referring to. Many demos buy the inks, papers, markers, ribbons, reinkers, etc. for the entire color line. And to have those suddenly not be items that they can demonstrate it could easily $500 if that is the case.

I'm not for or against the change, because I just really don't care one way or the other anymore. I still use the colors when they suit the project I am working on and will probably get some of those newer colors because they look interesting. I am just stating that it could be a wallet buster for some, that's all. And in times where income is down for many, they won't be able to recover or replace their initial investment.
I do understand your point but there are things that SU is doing to minimize the impact including a way for demos to earn free product. No change comes without some financial impact and I am not saying that everything is coming up roses here but I still think that $500 is high given the fact that as demos we get a discount on product. No hard feelings here just stating a different opinion. Gotta love it when SU does something like this to stir the pot! LOl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #128  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
AJ, it's here, in post #8
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #129  
clean and krafty

thanks- too many different thread on the same topic to go through! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #130  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBakerView Post
I do understand your point but there are things that SU is doing to minimize the impact including a way for demos to earn free product. No change comes without some financial impact and I am not saying that everything is coming up roses here but I still think that $500 is high given the fact that as demos we get a discount on product. No hard feelings here just stating a different opinion. Gotta love it when SU does something like this to stir the pot! LOl!
Not stirring the pot either, but if you, general you, bought & own the 48, not including the IN Colors the past few years and 28 will be going:
inks 28 x 5.95 = 166.60
papers 28 x 5.50 = 154
reinkers 28 x 2.95 = 82.60
ribbons (at one time they had alot more) 4/28 x 4.95 = 19.80
Craft pads 28 x 7.50 = 210
spots add even more to this total, so even with the discount (which by the time you add in s/h and tax is just about consumed anyway, at least here in CA), if you are someone who has to have it all, then it totals over $500 easily....

you get the idea, it does total over $500..........

I gave up getting worked up about how much I had invested when they did the new IDA and I quit. I still have all of it as far as colors, but have let many many stamp sets go.

Last edited by 11Valerie11; 04-06-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #131  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
I am really excited! With the exception of a few colors like Creamy Caramel. Close to Cocoa and Summer Sun, I really won't be sorry to see them go. I really like the new color families much better. I am excited! I think it is about time that SU! revamped...the colors were starting to get stale. Hooray for SU!!!
Funny thing is, everyone has his/her opinion on which colors should have made the cut...there is no way to please everyone.

I can't remember the last time I used creamy caramel, unless it was for a color challenge! LOL But bordering blue will be tough to see go bye-bye. Some are thrilled to see the return of river rock, but not me! :rolleyes: I am excited to keep my rich razzleberry...Yum!

It seems the consensus is the bold brights were weighing people down...now the new Bright family looks terrific!

Gonna be a fun summer!
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #132  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlyceceView Post

It seems the consensus is the bold brights were weighing people down...now the new Bright family looks terrific!
I agree, the new Brights collection looks great!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #133  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Not stirring the pot either, but if you, general you, bought & own the 48, not including the IN Colors the past few years and 28 will be going:
inks 28 x 5.95 = 166.60
papers 28 x 5.50 = 154
spots add even more to this total, so even with the discount (which by the time you add in s/h and tax is just about consumed anyway, at least here in CA), if you are someone who has to have it all, then it totals over $500 easily....

I gave up getting worked up about how much I had invested when they did the new IDA and I quit. I still have all of it as far as colors, but have let many many stamp sets go.
Add another $200 to invest in getting the new colors! Of course people might be able to sell their retired colors. Have you seen what retired colors go for on ebay!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #134  
clean and krafty

Quote:

inks 28 x 5.95 = 166.60
papers 28 x 5.50 = 154

so true!!!

the new colors and color families look great though, and I think that it was overdue! The only colors I used that are retiring was close to cocoa. But, it looks like there will be something new and fabulous to replace them!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #135  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It took me 25 minutes (!!) to find a post with a link to the topic -- a pic of the new colors. Maybe I was browsing too quickly!

Wow, they are gorgeous! I know it is hard to invest $$ in new colors etc. but the new ones are so much fresher and beautiful than the old ones.

better to have wonderful new colors than stick with old ones just cause they are there....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #136  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
It took me 25 minutes (!!) to find a post with a link to the topic -- a pic of the new colors. Maybe I was browsing too quickly!

Wow, they are gorgeous! I know it is hard to invest $$ in new colors etc. but the new ones are so much fresher and beautiful than the old ones.

better to have wonderful new colors than stick with old ones just cause they are there....
I am really happy with this. I agree that these gorgeous colours make it easier to lose money. Although, for me personally, it is not going to be a huge loss, I keep all my supplies even when they retire. I can always sell a card made with those. More I look at the new colours, happier I get.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #137  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleStamperView Post
They've done this before and no one is really missing Mint Melody
This comment made me laugh outloud! And then I tried to explain why I was laughing to my husband and he just smiled and nodded.

I still have a few full sheets and some little scraps of the last set of retired colors.

All in all, it's probably a good change. Love fun new colors to play with, but with a budget that's considerably smaller now (I'm a SAHM now unlike when I purchased the full set of markers/paper/ink) I'll just have to collect a little at a time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #138  
Crimping Master

Wow! I can't believe what a big change. I loved River Rock so I am happy to have it back. I also loved Red Riding Hood and Pink Pirouette. I won't be buying all 29, but I will be getting the ones I love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #139  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
http://chicnscratch.typepad.com/file...rs_us_0310.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #140  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Space issues are to blame for that. If I had my own room, I'd have a wall system, but since I share the family room....and have limited wall space where I am situated it leaves the drawer containers (small 3 drawer plastic containers) inside the cupboards. Segregated because it's easier to find them when I refer to my swatch book.

Could be interesting to muck them all up! LOL
That's what I did last year when I whittled everything down...I combined all my cardstocks from every company I bought from by color tone/shade...its WONDERFUL...like a color wheel right here on my shelf...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #141  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post
Renee, thanks for answering. ...
And maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I don't see how one can compare a basic rust color (like "Really Rust") to poodle skirts. In fact, I'm not sure how those skirts were even popular WHEN they were popular. ;)

Then again, I don't get the whole "Oh my gosh...that color is SOOO 2009!" Again... I'll have to play the "guy" card on that one.

sorry, I was just being a little sarcastic I was thinking, for myself as well, that change is always hard but I always keep in mind things that were once "all the rage" but no longer are and many don't worry about it anymore. So, while I know it's a bit of a shock losing so many colours -- and believe me, I was a little shocked as well seeing how much I'll end up having to reinvest over the next 6 months -- it'll be good in the end and we'll all go wherever we find inspiration and creativity whether it be with SU or other companies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #142  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlozbView Post
Oh, wow, I grew up in Moweaqua, 20 miles south of Decatur. Right now I'm in Missouri, I would love to move back!
It's a small world. My fiance works in assumption and we just drove through Mowequa on the way to Easter:-) Let me know if you even move back, we will stamp! :-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #143  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
sorry, I was just being a little sarcastic I was thinking, for myself as well, that change is always hard but I always keep in mind things that were once "all the rage" but no longer are and many don't worry about it anymore. So, while I know it's a bit of a shock losing so many colours -- and believe me, I was a little shocked as well seeing how much I'll end up having to reinvest over the next 6 months -- it'll be good in the end and we'll all go wherever we find inspiration and creativity whether it be with SU or other companies
Personally Renee, I can't wait to see what you do with the new colors. I absolutely love your blog and your style. I'm sure you will amaze me and end up loving the colors! I JUST bought a pack of blush blossom because of a card you posted....LOL:-)

Seriously, I'll have my eye on you!:cool:

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #144  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

They've done this before and no one is really missing Mint Melody

Loads of paper and ink coming to the BST forum soon for CHEAP ;)
au contraire, mon ami
I liked it enough to buy extra and then have hoarded it in hopes I don't run out right before that special future unknown project comes along that just NEEDS that cheeful shade of green.

I still miss Rocket Red and Luscious Lime!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #145  
Mad Swapper

I guess we can all throw our color wheels into the recycling bins now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #146  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by EleeKView Post
au contraire, mon ami
I liked it enough to buy extra and then have hoarded it in hopes I don't run out right before that special future unknown project comes along that just NEEDS that cheeful shade of green.

I still miss Rocket Red and Luscious Lime!
Ok, there always has to be one ;) I liked to call it hospital green.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #147  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Quote:

Ok, there always has to be one ;) I liked to call it hospital green.
My first 2 ink pads were lavendar lace and mint melody!! That goodness, I outgrew that! Did not buy reinkers 'cuz I had no clue if I would ever really get into this hobby.

Took me over 3 years to touch the stuff from that home party...another 3 to order new stuff...now I am seriously hooked!
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #148  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post

I like the new colors as well. I agree they are a little too thin on purples, hopefully that'll get better with the new in colors. I like they way they are organized as well.

My only question is do I go ahead and get the Bold brights that I don't have and their reinkers or not?

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #149  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm not able to download the new color chart. Has it been removed? If so, would someone who downloaded it be willing to send me a PM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #150  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How could Cool Caribbean, Purely Pomegranate and Soft Sky not make the "come back" list?:confused: Sniff, sniff. Glad my favorite pink and red are coming back though. Can't wait to see the new colors irl and am hoping that they have a sampler pack of cs with them like they do the in colors and that they sell the ink spots individually for a little bit since I don't want to have to have duplicate ink spots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #151  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I'm not able to download the new color chart. Has it been removed? If so, would someone who downloaded it be willing to send me a PM?
It is still on the blog, here is the link

http://chicnscratch.typepad.com/file...rs_us_0310.pdf

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #152  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft RoomView Post
I found the answer to my own question! The marker case holds 48, there will be after the change only 38 core color markers (White and Vanilla do not have markers) and the empty slots can be used to rotate the changing In colors. That makes me happy!!!

Also, SU is going to provide a new insert which is wonderful b/c I was still using an old insert from the last change and it was bugging me.
I'm glad you figured it out! I was wondering the same thing. I didn't want to have to put new markers in the slots that were labeled for the old markers! Phew!

My blog - Don't Crimp My Style
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #153  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
SERIOUSLY though? No Cool Caribbean? CAn we not discuss this horror.
That's what I was thinking! It is the only SU color that I needed the cardstock and ink pad. (I started with PTI.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #154  
Hardware Hotshot

I am not a Demo, but am very glad they are doing something to update their colors! I was so bored with the colors in the DSP this last catalog, I didn't buy any! I hope the new colors will inspire new papers I will want to buy!

Glad to be getting rid of the old BB, None of which I used more than once or twice...

JMHO...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #155  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
The other good news is I can stop hoarding my treasured Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, Baja Breeze, Wild Wasabi, and River Rock! I can use them to my heart's content now that I will be able to get more!! I'm thrilled!
Yes!! I agree. My only disappointment is that they are not keeping Bermuda Bay - that was my favorite this year but all the other in-colors that they are keeping more than make up for it plus 5 new interesting colors - can you see I'm excited!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #156  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I like a lot of the new colours I'm seeing and I think I'm going to like the new colour family arrangements. I'm :( at some of the colours we're losing though and will be stocking up! I LOVE my purples, and am sorry to see them taking away all the soft purples. Couldn't they have left me just one to go with eggplant? Pretty please? And my sage shadow . I haven't bought a lot of the in colours the past couple of years, so I know where my stamp club money is going in the near future - new ink & paper! Can't wait to see the new colours in person.
I have to say I was really surprised that purely pomegranate & cool carribean were not on the list of in-colours that were coming back.
Last year during SAB I bought the entire set of watercolour crayons. Is there any information on whether they will be making watercolour crayons available in the new colours & the in-colours they are bringing back?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #157  
Kookie Creator

Being honest, I was ticked when I first heard about this. I mean, who designates "neutral" as a color family? Ridiculous.

But then I saw the color chart on the chicky site and I went in my craft room and assessed my stash....

I'll have to re-organize my paper in my file system and my ink pad storage. And it's going to cost me $127 up front to get the pads and paper I'm missing (if they do some type of assortment paper, where I will get 1 pk of each new color family). It'll be $165 if I add the re-inkers I don't have.

I have full paper packs of subtles that are retiring that I haven't used, which made me think that maybe these colors should retire if I have paper from 2004 that I haven't used up yet. Yes, the colors are nice and I will separate them out and use them, but yeah, maybe a color refresh is in order.

So I've gone from ticked to mildly enthuastic. If anything, it'll get me in my craft room to reorganize... then once I handle the new paper and ink, the creative mojo starts to flow... and we all know what THAT leads too....:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #158  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Personally Renee, I can't wait to see what you do with the new colors. I absolutely love your blog and your style. I'm sure you will amaze me and end up loving the colors! I JUST bought a pack of blush blossom because of a card you posted....LOL:-)

Seriously, I'll have my eye on you!:cool:
oh Mindy, you're too sweet! Honestly, if I have to live up to that I'll go crazy Hopefully I'll be able to inspire you with something in the future but it may be a while! I'll need time to earn enough $$ to get colour-comfy!

(P.S. I was sooooooooooooo pumped to hear that the blush blossom marker is staying -- yay for skin tones!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #159  
Crimping Master

I've kept all of my in-colors with the exception of one year, which incidentally, none of those colors were coming back LOL (at least not what I saw on first glance lol)

I love the new changes, and for me, it's just 5 colors I need to get ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmariehillView Post
The current in colors would normally retire with the new catty on July 1. Three of them - Soft Suede, Rich Razzleberry, and Melon Mambo are staying.

Really, for demos that have all the colors - it's 5 new colors, and 10 returning in colors - so it's not really that bad. I just finished getting all the classic pads and ink. There's only 6 colors I don't have.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #160  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subbing

Reply With Quote Likes