Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When you stamp/scrap with friends...

So I'm wondering when you get together and stamp/scrap with your friends how do you handle the use of supplies (paper, embellishments, etc)?

Do you each bring your own paper and consumables to use and then share amongst the stamps sets? Or do you share and share alike the paper? Do you let your friend use the paper, etc when they're at your place?

I've been thinking about this recently and am genuinely wondering how all of you handle this. I haven't run in to this too often since I haven't had many friends over to craft. I'm more than happy to let people use my stuff...but over time the cost of letting people use your paper, etc would add up I'm sure.

I'd love to hear what you do and thoughts on this. Hope this makes sense:-D Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I get together regularly with friends to do this. We typically have everyone bring their own stuff to work on. Stamp sets and tools are shared freely. With paper we tend to use our own but occasionally we will share or trade sheets when someone forgot a specific color they need. I would suggest putting your name or a mark of some kind on your tools so everyone gets their stuff back at the end of the day.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

We use our own stuff. We do share tools/stamps etc. We use our own ink, paper, brads, ribbons etc. However, we all from time to time "donate" that ribbon, or those brads to another person's page, because they fit so well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Same as the others. We bring our own stuff but will share stamps and tools. Paper and embellishments are eveyone on their own. When I have friends over, I usually give them free reign to raid my scraps but keep my almost full sheets and full sheets to myself. But we like to support each other, so if someone is working on a project that my ribbon or paper would go perfect with, I share and they do the same for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

We all bring our own stuff...but every once in awhile someone needs an extra piece of paper and we'll just share. We share stamps and tools too, but not really consumable stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

My sister-in-law (who is my best friend and got me into stamping) is about the only one who comes to my house or I go to hers to stamp and we live several hours from each other, and we will take paper and some emblishments with us if we are working on a particular project, but other wise we just use each others stuff since most of our paper is SU that is okay we each have it all.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

We get together regularly and everyone brings their own supplies. We do share our stamps, inks, accessories. Part of the fun of getting together is sharing and learning new tricks and techniques. These usually are time and money saving. Stamping with friends keeps me in my craft room. Otherwise I tend to get side tracked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWstamperView Post
Same as the others. We bring our own stuff but will share stamps and tools. Paper and embellishments are eveyone on their own. When I have friends over, I usually give them free reign to raid my scraps but keep my almost full sheets and full sheets to myself. But we like to support each other, so if someone is working on a project that my ribbon or paper would go perfect with, I share and they do the same for me.
This is how it's always been when I get together for crops too. Since everyone brings thier own supplies, there have never been any worries about the cost of paper, embellishments, etc. for a couple of reasons. Some of these include:
1) Do I really ever use an entire package of embellishments?!
2) It seems like what comes around goes around (i.e. yes, "Stacy" used a sheet of my paper but later she shared that awesome ribbon with me)
3) What's the cost of a few sheets of paper when you've made good friends because of getting together...

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 02:24 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I have a very dear friend who has the most wonderful craft room just loaded with tools, supplies, cardstock....you name it. If it's been made for crafting, she has it.

She's also got the most generous spirit and often hosts scrapbooking or card-making events for close friends. I try to pre-design my cards and pre-cut or pre-pack my supplies. But there have been times when I've seen something at her house and wanted to CASE it or realized I left my 'fill in the blanks' at home. I borrow it and replace it.

Once, I just came over nearly empty-handed and she let me "run a tab" of supplies consumed. I just replaced them.

I've also been to crops where we "ran a tab" and paid at the end.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 04:26 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Default crafting with friends

I have a large craft room and have friends over about once a month besides my stamping club. They say it is like being at joanns but everything is open. (I have a problem)...if I have things planned to make for everyone then we price that out ahead of time..otherwise I charge $5.00 per person, they bring their own adhesive and some things to work on and they have full reign in my craft room...if they don't have things in mind, then $10.00 and they can use everything I have. They seem to like it because I test all the new things out so they dont have to waist their money, they come here first. It's hard to card around alot of stuff and parking is an issue so sometimes they have to walk a bit. And its fun to get new stuff and paper that you don't have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm lucky in that I belong to a stamp club, Happy Hearts. We've been meeting montly since 2004. Each person hosts twice a year. They decide the project and buy the supplies. The host sends us the supply list and we bring our own basic tool kits. If there is something that is pricey, we let everyone know where to buy it or if possible we share. How much we spend is dependent on the host's project. We've never had any issues on cost or sharing suppplies as we figure it all works out in the end.

We all have stamp rooms, some with more supplies than others and it seems mine is a little more because they tease me about shooping trips to my room. I always share and if they want to use something I don't want to share, I just say no or quote a price. We all understand about "hoarding" our favs or hard to find items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 05:41 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have a group of friends that meet semi regularly and for the most part we bring our own supplies. We take turns planning a project, usually a card. The person that plans the project, brings the supplies for that one project. We do share tools and sometimes other things. It works out, no one takes advantage. Sometimes if someone licks up and finds a great deal on something they will bring it and pass it around for everyone to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a group come once a month to stamp/craft and share wine (we call ourselves the Crafty WHiners...). Someone has a "craft" designed to share. Depending on the extent of the craft, people "donate" to that person. If its an open night, I have a little bucket and folks donate to that for the supplies. People are really good about it so it works well. If someone comes over to play, they either bring their own "thing" to work on or if they use my stuff they contribute (I have a little pail for contributions).

If they did not, I probably would not miss it as there is so much STUFF in the craft room it would take some time to miss it. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWstamperView Post
Isn't this the best? It's a great way to whittle down that mile high pile of scraps you are always trying to use up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Most of my friends do not get the opportunity to craft much at home because of restraints on time, space, or budgets. I feel very blessed to have a nice stash and the time and space to create. When my friends come over to stamp or scrap, what is mine is theirs. I'm happy to share, and they do not take advantage or misuse my things either. They do nice things for me too, in their own way. Each of my friends also has an open invitation to come over and use my space, stash, and/or help with a project they want to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #16  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 625 Likes on 438 Posts

we all bring our and share what we have-it all works out in the end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

My closest girlfriend and I scrap/card make together and even though she is always at my house she brings a ton of stuff with her and we just swap back and forth. In the end it all works out and if something I have makes her page or card fantastic then great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I would only share my tools and stamps. They need to bring their own accessories and paper.

I would never expect to use someones paper, brads, ribbon, etc.... That stuff get expensive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I share whatever I have with anyone coming over and they would share what they brought with me as well.

It all works out.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

We only share tools and stamps. However, we may offer an item we have if it will work well for another person. We bring our own paper, embellishments, adhesives etc. Often head of time we plan that each stamper will design a card and cut all the paper and have everything ready to make that card. The designer has the sample on hand and shows how she made the card and the techniques she used and then we make that card. So everyones goes home with a finished card designed by each person who came to stamp that day. We also work on other stuff we brought. We bring snacks for everyone or give $ to the hostess, whatever works out for that day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I care enough for someone to have them over for a crop/play day, which I try to do at least once a month, I share anything I have. My sisters and friends are welcome to use anything I have and worry about replacing it. It would be the same if I went to their homes. They are a special group and just would never take advantage of it.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Our "CTG" Craft Therapy Group gets together once a month and brings their own stuff for whatever project they are working on. We do share our supplies when needed. If someone needs a specific colour of CS or we trade images it is no problem. We are all willing to share and no one has ever taken advantage of the group.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

when we meet for a stamp/scrap night we usually bring our own products and share supplies as needed. it has never been a problem or issue to share anything either. i believe we all benefit this way cause it lets us get more outta our goods and try new trends. Using friends products also gives us the chance to expand on what we can do with our own products ( i've seen lots done with my own product that i was like wow why didn't i think of that) and it give us a new light on other products and how to use it. which i think is well worth it. anyways happy stamping or scraping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

We each bring our stamp sets, paper and odds and ends.

We try to arrange that only one person is bring the actual Cuttlebug or other tools like that and then we all share.

If someone does not happen to have the color paper they need we will share. It works out by the end of the day that everyone has had to borrow from someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

When I get together with friends we share tools, stamps, and ink. With consumables (paper, ribbon, accessories) we share if someone needs that color or something. We figure it all evens out.

This is a little off topic... We take turns hosting and the hostess takes care of snacks. This way we don't have a ton of snacks and you only have to worry about every now and then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't belong to a stamping group, although I would like to. But my grandchildren are always wanting to "play" with my supplies. I used to say "no" or very carefully select what they could use. Then I found out that my 8 year old granddaughter wanted to make a scrapbook and needed some supplies. I went through my drawers and picked out a few things to send to her. The more I looked at stuff, the more I thought things were replacable and sent her a big bag of stuff, my only limit was weight (paper is heavy). I know it is different with your friends, but with good friends it should all even out in the end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

The only friend near me that stamps just started stamping, so I'm supplying most of the stuff. I do take her to Michael's or Joann's whenever she wants something in particular for that day. My husband's co-workers also started getting into stamping, so they've came over a handful of times and started to make some cards. I don't expect anyone to bring stuff, but they're welcome to. I usually bring my stuff when I visit my niece and friends (2 hrs away). I use the Cricut case to store all my stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have any friends that stamp like I do. A friend of mine that was interested in it didn't have the money to invest or the room for the hobby. She was a SAHM and that's the way they wanted it so even though both were college educated and could probably make a better living being home for the beginning years was more important to her so she sacraficed any fun stuff for herself (at least to the extent of this hobby). She enjoyed stamping so I'd have her over and just let her make a few cards. It was fun having her as company, teaching her stuff, and getting her out of the house for girl time so for me, it was not a big deal and didn't happen all that often. She'd offer to pay me something but I wouldn't accept.

My mom and friend also like to stamp but do not want to invest in supplies or have it as a hobby like we do so every few months they'll give me like $10 bucks and make 4-5 cards with me cutting paper for them and they use all my stuff. I did buy them their own adhesives guns and told them they'd have to re-fill them as that can get expensive. With them not being experienced stampers they over adhere, IMO. I have the ATG now so it's not so bad if they were to do that but they liked getting their own adhesive guns. They're funny because they call me teacher and when they got their guns and I made them start doing more detailed cards (they'll always say we'll just do easy cards and I tell them if I'm teaching you'll do what I say you'll do) they were like, oooohhhh.........we're moving out of kidnergarten. They're cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

When I get together with my stamping friends, we rely on using the hostess's stamps and inks (cuts down on the heavy stuff to carry) and will each bring our own consumables. Same as so many others, we figure that a piece of paper here, a length of ribbon there all evens out in the end and we have fun when we are together. Sometimes one of us will do a "shoebox swap" for the others -- that's always fun to leave with something we didn't have to think about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

When I've gotten together with a few friends. We bring/use are own stuff. But will share stamps or tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I We have a group of 6 that gets together weekly and range in age from 20s to the 80's and we have a blast. One of us has a party one week, then one week with do a stamp a stack, one week we do a class, and one week we do a freebie where everyone brings their stuff to do. On the freeie week we share stamps, and tools and occassionally adhensive, ink, dental floss, etc. Then one week we eat out together. Opps! That's 5 things. Guess we do something twice in one of those weeks.
sam
Then I go to another group that meets about every week. We do class each week and share if we need to.

Then the 3rd group I go to we meet only once every other month as a class, but our teacher sends us materials for a card to make every month.

Each group is totally different. Did I say I also work. Yeah, have to do pay for having so much fun and to help support my 3 su demo.
sam

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by NanaKarenView Post
I don't belong to a stamping group, although I would like to. But my grandchildren are always wanting to "play" with my supplies. I used to say "no" or very carefully select what they could use. Then I found out that my 8 year old granddaughter wanted to make a scrapbook and needed some supplies. I went through my drawers and picked out a few things to send to her. The more I looked at stuff, the more I thought things were replacable and sent her a big bag of stuff, my only limit was weight (paper is heavy). I know it is different with your friends, but with good friends it should all even out in the end.
Isn't this the best? I have a four year old grandaughter and almost four year old neice who love to come play in my craft room. Because of their ages I have to put the paper cutter up and they mostly use stickers, gel pens, and of course they love the glitter glue! I'm looking forward to doing more with them as they get older.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

My friends normally come to my house to stamp. One friend has every stamp known to man, and one friend has just a handful of stamps and a couple of ink pads. We normally talk to each other before they come over and get an idea of what we want to make. Then we decide whta resources we can pool so that everyone doesn't have to lug everything they own to my house. Normally the friend with limited supplies uses our stuff. I normally end up keeping a couple of stamp sets, tools, and any other new and fun stuff that the stamping guru brings along for a week or two. Honestly, i LOVE LOVE LOVE having them come over to stamp. We only get together like that 3-4 times per year, so we just don't really care about the supplies. Honestly, we just enjoy getting together. Hee Hee Hee Sometimes we enjoy getting together and chatting and cutting up so much that we never even make a single card! I would say...think about the relationship. If you feel you are being taken advantage of, then defintely charge or say something. Otherwise, just have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

what a great thread! It's so nice to read how everyone shares or does stamping days with friends.

I stamp with my best friend who got me into card-making. I now have more stamps and supplies than she does but she's got drawers of ribbon. We each don't have tons of stuff becuase we both live in one-bedroom apartments. We get together at my place every 6 or 8 weeks or so, though we live just 30 minutes apart -- she is busy with her new husband and I am busy with my BF -- and we decide on the phone what we are going to work on. She brings her own inks and cardstock but I share 100 percent of everything I own because if I don't use it up I can't buy more!

In return, she brings lunch. She is a much better cook than I am and she loves to cook and I love to eat her lunches. Last time we got together just a few weeks ago we did Valentine's Day cards and she exclusively used my stamps just because it gives her variety. In turn, I took about a yard each of some great pink/red/purple ribbons to use on projects in the future. And, she made this fabulous vegetable/tofu soup and on a cold February day it was perfect.

I'm so blessed to have her to stamp with. We don't get much done in one day -- usually 3 or 4 cards or so -- because we are chatting every single second, but it's the together-time that is the most important. There's no pricetag on that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

the only person i have every scrapped with is my best friend and i gave him carte blanche on all of my scraps. (i have them somewhat organized) he is able to make cards from that.. embellishments? well... he knows not to use the expensive stuff, but brads, primas, ribbon etc, i let him use.

he eventually went to my LSS and bought his own supplies like paper and stuff, but uses my tools..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #36  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkplug17View Post
We all bring our own stuff...but every once in awhile someone needs an extra piece of paper and we'll just share. We share stamps and tools too, but not really consumable stuff.
This is the case with my monthly stamping group, too. We meet at a church and everyone brings her own projects to work on and the supplies needed. But sometimes you realize that you forgot to bring a particular stamp or a certain color of paper, and people are happy to share if they happen to have what you need. What we ask to "borrow" is never excessive and since we've all been in that boat one time or another, no one feels put out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh yeah...I forgot about the FOOD! I normally make food for us to eat, because my friends don't cook, and I love to! It's not a have-to thing, I just enjoy it. But, they have to bring their own Dr. Peppers because I drink Diet Mountain Dew! Hee Hee Hee...and I have to share that I always send the leftover food (minus a plate for my husband) home with them for their husbands. They laugh at that because their husbands always ask when we can get together to stamp again, because they get home-cooked dinners on those days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

I've loved hearing about how you all handle this...it's great! And so fun to hear about the good times you have.

I am so glad someone mentioned pulling out the scraps. I have a ton of scraps and that's a great way to get them used!

And someone else mentioned the thought that if they care enough to want to stamp/scrap with them, then they share what they have. Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

When we get together (there are only 2 of us) to make cards we usually pre-plan what we are making and supply our own cardstock, pp, etc but we definitely share items both large and small. As one poster mentioned, I might give my friend a package of something she doesn't have for a project but then she'll let me take a few sheets of a new Basic Grey paper pad etc. It all balances out. I can understand it being more difficult in a big group and if one person tends to be the one always sharing but with just a couple of people it's more of a friend thing and I don't mind sharing with my only stamping buddy.
Reply With Quote Likes