Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-08-2004, 10:33 AM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts
Default su products cheaper

Count me in with Cheezer, karinlm, and irishjc820. Well said, stampers! We're only trying to save where we can, so we can spend more on exclusive SU products like stamps! It's a win-win situation, don't you think?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 10:55 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am completely sorry if I assisted in this thread getting out of hand. I misunderstood the original post obviously. I am very sorry.
I thought the original poster was looking for cheaper alternate SU! compatible materials to use as a demonstrator. As a demonstrator, I don't think it's worth buying alternate materials for myself. Because as a demonstrator I get commission, rebate and am able to upsell SU! materials. I also like the ease of one stop shopping and not having to go from store to store and clipping coupons to get a good price.
I am all about saving money, but as a DEMONSTRATOR, it is in my best interest to buy from myself.
I am honest with my customers if I know of a sale at a local store, I am forthright with my customers about the similiarities of products that may be cheaper. I am not ignorant to think that SU! is the only company that can sell quality products. But I believe in SU!'s customer service, their quality, and their products. And that message comes through even as I speak of a sale at a local store. I am honest, my customers appreciate my honesty and they continue to buy SU! merchandise from me.
Part of my challenge of being a demonstrator, is selling myself as a demonstrator. I can't very well sell myself as a Stampin' Up! demonstrator when I use Non-SU! products.
Again, I am sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 12:14 PM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

i agree with u amy, that's basically what i was trying to get at. im just not good at wording things...i think i'll just stick to skimming posts instead of posting. i thought i changed it to explain myself better, but from the pm's and some emails i have received apparently i still didn't get the right point across. I am a demo, a new one at that, so please understand i am still in the learning process, I can't look to my current upline for guidance, so i look here, to try to help me out on some things. I will just do my own google search, or searches on here, or examine my wording really carefully before i post again. I am a part of the demo only forum, and it's not like u have to prove u are a demo before u get to be part of that. So, I figure, if someone could help me, and didn't want everyone to know, they would pm or email me, and all would be good. Not many people check the demo forum as frequently as this one, and I was basically searching for deals on the things i dont have time to order...I know what to use su only stuff for, and try to use only and as much su stuff as i can, i was just looking for guidance for when that's not a quick enough option. Such as the holiday season, when they are already behind on shipping, and mail is delayed due to the holiday too. I have time to order, but if i ordered now, and received in a week or week and a half, that would only give me like 2 days to finish all the projects i need to get done, and a lot of things i am needing these projects for are next week. this was my dilema. sorry for the confusion.

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:19 PM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstephy
...i think i'll just stick to skimming posts instead of posting.
Steph, please don't stop posting! We want your input! Plus, I love seeing that cute avatar. I thought it was a great idea to put all deals on one post instead of searching all over for all for the different deals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 02:28 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Keep posting stampingstephy!!! I appreciated your question in your first post. There are times that I can't wait for SU and need to know places to go in a pinch. Most of us have been in that situation at one time or another and I don't think it takes away from SU at all. I think you will be a wonderful demonstrator and we can all gain from your sharing......so keep posting!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am in total agreement with Cheezer, karinlm, irishjc820 and nancystamps...we all need sources to purchase product at cheaper prices. I go though tons of white paper and envelopes and I cannot always get the product as soon as I need it. (especially lately!) I am not a demo, and I respect my demo more for understanding this. She is going to get my business, and for those demos that are not understanding of this, and get huffy if you purchase a crimper from Michaels with a 40% off coupon rather than her, I would really reconsider your thinking.

Steph, I am glad you posted this thread...as I said, I am not a demo, and appreciate the fact that you want to know where to purchase product of good quality. I know I can do a google search, but it helps so much to know if the product is good and if the company has a great reputation. You can only tell so much from a picture, and I value the opinion of my fellow SCS members. So thank you for asking....and please continue to post.

As to the answer to your question...I purchase envelopes from actionenvelopes.com (great heavy, white envelopes with square flaps!) and I purchase "Exact Index" Wausau 90 lb cardstock from Office Max. I love the stuff...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 04:45 PM   #47  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I am so glad this was posted!! As a soon to be new demo I would rather spend my $$$ on the stamps, cardstock, inks, markers. I have never received an envelope from my demo when I get the samples she makes at my parties, so I probably won't include an envelope either. I have never even purchased the envelopes from SU because I can get them cheaper elsewhere. I know SU's are probably good quality and all but they just get THROWN AWAY!!! Nobody cares much about the envelope as much as the card and I use ONLY SU cardstock, and inks on them!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 05:36 PM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

My goodness! I get a lot of supplies at stampandgo.com, everything is considerably less than anywhere I've seen, and quik shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kar, I understand your point about the envelopes...but, you do want a heavy envelope, especially if you have embellishments on it like buttons, ribbons, etc. If your card is "lumpy" it will tear through the envelope during shipping, or will get torn up in the USPS machines. So I do like a heavy, well-made envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 07:00 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Deleted

Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:50 AM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

SOMEONE PLEASE GET THIS MOVED TO THE DEMO SECTION ONLY. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOTIFY A MODERATOR.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:59 AM   #52  
Goober-E LOST-E

If this post gets moved then how will the rest of us find good bargains?
It doesn't seem fair that only some people will be able to find bargains if this post is moved.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 09:00 AM   #53  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why move it to a demo only section? I don't think this is a topic of interest only to demos. In fact, it's probably of more interest to non-demos because we don't get a discount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use Stampcraft rubber stamp cleaner and I love it - I got it at walmart for something like $2.54 - it worked to take the stazon off my stamp as long as you clean it fairly quickly after finishing. Little blue and white bottle.
I bought some envelopes off of ebay back when I started stamping a year and a half ago and I still have them. They are a little larger than the card but that is fine by me as I usually insert pictures or have embellishments that ten to make the walmart envelopes too tight.... forgot the seller but just look and I am sure you will find them...

As for this being in the demo only section - I am NOT a demo and I like to save money too.....IT DOES NOT IN ANY WAY TAKE AWAY FROM MY DEMO ~ as a matter of fact I buy the same - I just would not have extras if I could not buy them elsewhere.....

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #55  
Crimping Master

Wow...I can't believe people are getting so upset thinking this should be in the demo only section, there is no need to yell!!! I don't see why this should be a demo only post, a non demo could have asked the question just as easily as a demo and we all like the info. There are tons of posts on this board about great deals and places to buy things so why is this one any different? I understood the OP (and she has explained it several times since, sorry you have had to do that) to be asking for info when she was in a pinch or for her personal use, if it not for demo purposes, if she is not asking for demo purposes why should this be demo only???

as for info about products and where to get them, I think that wal-mart has some envelopes that are still high enough quality but are much cheaper...other posts seem to offer some great info

I now have a gallery!! www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/miss_missy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 09:48 AM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss missy
Wow...I can't believe people are getting so upset thinking this should be in the demo only section, there is no need to yell!!!
I was not meaning to YELL, I work in caps at work and just didn't change it. When I yell, I use !!!!!!!!!!!!!

But as a demo, I do think there are some things that need to be shared by demos only. I always tell my customers, you can get ________ for cheaper here. But if we don't moderate some measure of what we sell then we totally put ourselves out of business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 09:52 AM   #57  
Forum Fanatic

STEPH ~ Okay, I feel bad since I was the first one to say something about you demoing non-SU stuff. You did clarify yourself, problem is sometimes people only read the first post and then react rather than looking further for an explanation.

That said ~ yes, this should have been in the demo chit chat area. And this isn't an us/them sort of thing. If a non-demo had started this I wouldn't have had a problem, but if it had been in the demo section, Steph's feelings wouldn't be hurt now and she would not feel like she can't post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 09:55 AM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

STEPH, to make you feel better just know that we still love you. Periodically some people get in a huff. You should have been around for the Bush Kerry issues WHEW BABY! That was major!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

HI there, MODERATOR here....
Listen, I moved this thread to the Demo Only Chit Chat area, so that I could read it through with out alot of people getting all hot and bothered about it all while I read through all four pages.
There are a lot of valid points why this type of info SHOULD NOT be posted in the General Discussion forum, HOWEVER, there are also alot of valid points as to why it SHOULD stay there....
This is how I look at it...
What is different about this post than any of the other posts that are telling others where to get SU look a like stuff????? There is not any thing different.... There have been TONS of posts for- Viking mono, Paperzone Envelopes, Some five Ribbon sites and SU metallic CS at about three different sites...I am sorry but I don't see the justification of removing this thread to the Demo Only side because it is asking about comparable SU stuff at a cheaper rate.
Now that I have addressed that part of it...
As an SU! Demo, you have signed a contract to use ONLY SU! supplies while conductiong a workshop or class where you are representing the compnay...so it comes down to a matter of principle.....there are no police who will come and arrest you for not using SU! stuff at your workshops but you do run the risk of being terminated as a Demo for breaking your contract...it is as simple as that. I leave it to you and your conscience. It is a matter of principle to uphold your end of the bargain you have made with SU! as a Demo.
Thanks for listening and now listen to your heart on all these issues and decide for yourself...
Thanks K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 10:01 AM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Now to add to this..I am going to see if Daven feels it should be moved back but for now it is in the Demo only side...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #61  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keri I think you made valid points about not demoing things that aren't SU-it is important to remember things like that when we are on here discussing our business. I never knew that was a ruke-thought if it more like common business sense , but will absolutely keep that in mind.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 12:34 PM   #62  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

yeah, I'm moving it back. PM me if you don't like it

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 12:37 PM   #63  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

wow, that's trippy. the thread is being listed twice in the General Discussion forum now. sorry for the confusion folks.

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #64  
Polyshrink Goddess

Daven -
I'm kinda curious ... of the 20,000 SCS members .. do you know how many are SU Demos? Or at least have done what ever you have to do to see the demo forum?

Thanks,
Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 01:47 PM   #65  
Kookie Creator

wow, what a discussion for a dreary, rainy Thursday in the South! I totally understand what she was asking. I'm a demo- more for hobby and discount really- and love getting stamps at my local stamping store and paper if I don't have an order going in soon- for my own personal use. I would check your local scrapbook or stamp store if you have one for some quality paper to finish our your own Christmas cards

I had my upline to tell me NOT to tell my customers about SCS. She said essentially they would get smarter than us with new techniques etc. Well, I felt it would make them want the sets demoed on here and need the ink, paper, embellishments, and certain tools etc. to re-create the great cards/ projects that everyone shares. My mom sure wants everything she sees on here! :lol:

Do you tell your friends/customers about SCS?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

I can't believe all of the controversey over someone wanting to save some money. I thought the original post made it clear she was looking for alternate sources for her own personal use.

Also, when asked, I readily tell my customers if they can find the same or similar products elsewhere cheaper (ie the Fiskars Crimper @ Michaels or JoAnns w/ 40% off coupon) I have also never sold envelopes because I admit to customers that I don't use SU envelopes for my own personal cards. The people I send cards to rave over the card, many people keep them, but I highly doubt anyone keeps the envelope or even really notices it. I know I don't. The way I figure it, a person has a finite amount of money they can spend on stamping/scrapbooking supplies. If I can help them save a couple of bucks buying non-exclusive items elsewhere, this leaves more money available to buy the exclusive items that SU offers.

Lastly, in my humble opinion, I cannot possibly see why this should be/should have been in a demo only forum. Everyone wants to save money.

Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 02:12 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you Daven!!! Bless you for moving this back...

I agree with you Colleen! Thanks for your post, I agree totally...you are a great demo! I bet you have a fantastic business. I like honest demos who look out for their customers...you will keep them coming back for more!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 02:44 PM   #68  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris
Thank you Daven!!! Bless you for moving this back...

I agree with you Colleen! Thanks for your post, I agree totally...you are a great demo! I bet you have a fantastic business. I like honest demos who look out for their customers...you will keep them coming back for more!!
I just want to point out that I don't believe that the demo's who felt this topic shouldn't be discussed in general forums aren't being honest with their own customers. They just felt that it was inapropriate in this forum. Obviously other demo's do not. I don't think more should be read into it than that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 02:46 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESS
I can't believe all of the controversey over someone wanting to save some money. I thought the original post made it clear she was looking for alternate sources for her own personal use.
The original post was edited to make it clear that she was looking for alternative sources for personal use and not to demo with. (I'm guessing prior to the edit it was indicating otherwise) Things just come out the wrong way sometimes, I think we can all agree on that.

SCS is such a great source for all of us. (demos and non-demos alike)

Thank you all for sharing so much awesome info all the time!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 03:45 PM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

I too like Colleen's honesty. Personally, I think if I as a demo believed SU's product didn't measure up to another product for whatever reason, why would I sell it to a customer?

I am one of those weirdos that buy everything I demo from myself, for a variety of reasons. I have never gotten why someone would expect someone to purchase something from them when they don't even use it themselves.

For example, I hear from people that they use Viking mono for their own projects, but are quick to point out that they only demo with SU's SNAIL. Why?

Just my .02 cents!

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 03:57 PM   #71  

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffgirl

For example, I hear from people that they use Viking mono for their own projects, but are quick to point out that they only demo with SU's SNAIL. Why?
I'll answer that. I do it because I thought we were supposed to only demo with SU stuff. But if I can get mono adhesive for $1.88 ea I save a ton even with my discount. I go through it too fast to buy it from myself. I also don't promote it to my customers, because of that same reason.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 04:07 PM   #72  
Inking Addict

Very well said, Colleen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 04:43 PM   #73  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESS
I have also never sold envelopes because I admit to customers that I don't use SU envelopes for my own personal cards. The people I send cards to rave over the card, many people keep them, but I highly doubt anyone keeps the envelope or even really notices it.
Actually, I think a good heavy quality envelope makes a great first impression and I'm willing to spend a little extra on it. I understand that not everyone feels this way, and if I had to choose I'd definitely go for quality CS first! My all-time favorite envelope, however, is the clear one!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:05 PM   #74  
Polyshrink Goddess

ok....just to clarify a bit further. I did post, then when all the uproar, i reread my post, and edited to better explain myself. When I originally posted, my 2 year old was yelling, and a lot was going on here....it just messes with your train of thought....i thought all would be better after i corrected myself, but no. I do want to let everyone know that i did pm the moderators on my own and ask that they look into the placement of this thread. Hopefully that helps fix whatever offenses i have done so far. I don't think anyone now is confused about what i was asking, since i have tried to clear this up more than enough. I appreciate that everyone is so adamant about their points of view...but this is a subject that we may just have to agree to disagree. To the demos that don't wish to share their "deals" with non-demos, then more power to you, I just don't think it's necessary to post stating that u will only share with demos, then it looks like we are trying to hide something...i think that's the problem. I am sorry this got started, but hopefully some sort of good came out of it.

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:30 PM   #75  
Kookie Creator

Oh, Steph! I feel for ya, and I luv ya, girl! Something good did come out of it - I've had a great time reading all these posts and watching this thread bounce from forum to forum :lol: Sometimes we just don't know what kind of can o' worms we're opening, huh? I'm glad you posted this topic, Steph - please don't be sorry this got started. You sound like the kind of friend I'd love to have, and I do know what it's like to have a hundred things vying for your attention at the same time while you're trying to hurry and finish what you started :lol: We've all been there!

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Dawn,

SU has no rules stating that you have to use their products to demo, so if you want to use your mono that is fine. Now if you were selling the mono to the customer, that would be the infraction. If you are simply demoing the product, then if people ask you where you got it you can refer them. As long as you are not representing Viking or Tombow as a distributor, you are not violating any rules.

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #77  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

I tried to refrain, but couldn't.

Tonight I stamped the EXACT same card on my Exact Index 110lb weight paper (to see how I liked the design) then again on my u/s white. I will NEVER use my exact index paper for cards again. The u/s white gave such a crisp image--I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. I always thought I was an "off" stamper because I wasn't inking my stamps right or something. turns out it was the paper!!! I'd have shadier spots with the exact index, but with the u/s white, it was a perfectly stamped image--looks almost like a sticker it's so perfect.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. i just had to share since this has been a hot topic and I had some personal experience with both
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 04:57 AM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffgirl
Dawn,

SU has no rules stating that you have to use their products to demo, so if you want to use your mono that is fine. Now if you were selling the mono to the customer, that would be the infraction. If you are simply demoing the product, then if people ask you where you got it you can refer them. As long as you are not representing Viking or Tombow as a distributor, you are not violating any rules.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonstrator Manaual » Chapter 3: Conducting Workshops » Conducting a Workshop » Show Different Stamp Styles and a Variety of Techniques
Demonstrate using only Stampin’ Up! products. Customers notice what you use to make your projects, so it is important to use only stamps and accessories that you can provide as a Stampin’ Up! demonstrator.
Doesn't this mean that you can only use SU products to demo at workshops? I'm just trying to clarify here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 04:59 AM   #79  
Crimping Master

I'm not a demo, but that sounds more like good advice rather than a requirement. Also, if it's in a manual rather than an agreement, sounds like it's meant to be a suggestion rather than a requirement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 05:05 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

I see what you are saying Spammie, but I thought part of the agreement was to follow the rules of the manual. "Demonstrate using only Stampin' Up! products." doesn't sound like a suggestion to me. Otherwise I would think they'd say, "We suggestion that you only use Stampin' Up! products."

I guess that's one of the questions I'll ask when I call DS today
Reply With Quote Likes