Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who do you try to please

So when I make cards I make them to please myself. I'm going to admit this is a selfish hobby of mine. The cards themselves, when they are done, I give them generously, it's the making of them that I love.

So I please me. And lately, for a year or so that means I make very CAS cards. Susan (LateBlossom) is my cardmaking hero.

Interestingly the group of people who see/receive almost all of my cards are not thrilled with this style.

A few years ago I was a very cutsie cardmaker. Everything had cute animals colored well, doing cute things with lots of layers and texture and ribbon and such. And that was a blast and I loved them. I just sorta moved to something different.

So now I enjoy making the cards just as much, but I will admit I miss the gushing praise. Folks around here loved them some cutsie cards.

And it has made me wonder how everyone else approaches that.

Oh and side note when I'm making a special card specifically for these cute lovers I do make that card cute. Most of my cards I make with nothing specific in mind, then people flip through them and take what they want to send to other people that I don't even know. Which is fine with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do the same thing. I make cards I like. Or, try a technique, die cut, etc. etc. etc. because I want to use it, or try it out to be creative. I have made cards for people that was made especially for them. It was for my fathers ex-wife's funeral and it went to her daughter. My fathers wife had a beautiful garden and loved day lilies. I made her a card full of day lilies(floral punch) around a verse for her to keep as a reminder of her mother. When cards are going to someone that I know something about I try to customize the card some way for them, to make it special for them. Other cards I make just for fun.

I have made cards that I thought were cute and done well and nary a peep from anyone. Others got lots of attention. Who knows? People like what they like. If you are trying to please a group of people you will have to find out what they like and play up to it. Or just do what makes you happy.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Well, if I know the person I tend to make a card I know they will appreciate...like I won't send my nephews flowers. But I guess I always do what makes me happy...if I feel like busting out something CAS, I will.

How sad that people are not gushing at your CAS creations! I actually find they are often more difficult to make!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

As mentioned, each person has their own style! I was surprised when a neighbor loved a really complicated card I made but gushed like crazy over a CAS and said it was the prettiest card I had made. Another one outright told me that her simpler card was the ugliest of the three Christmas ones I'd showed her, even though it got the most comments on my gallery and everyone else found it beautiful.

To be honest, I please myself as well when I give out cards. People should be grateful they're receiving anything at all. Be it CAS or complicated, it took time and materials to make the thing. I'd be bowled over with gratefulness just for having someone take the time to make something for me. As a paper crafter, I know the work and thought that goes into each of the things we do. Maybe they don't believe me when I say "I spent two hours making that card"?

Of course, I do personalize as needed or if someone requests something specific, I try to accommodate. But if it's something I'm making as a just because then I give whatever I come up with. I'm also not afraid to use cards from my stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I guess I am a little of both. I am always stamping to please myself, but when I make things for other people I always take into account what they will like.

This is why the style question always kind of boggles me. My "style" depends greatly on who I am making the card for - IF I have someone specific in mind at the time. If it is for my mother, it might be elegant. If it is for my daughter, it is going to be cute. I have never understood people who say "I don't do cute.". I always wonder what they would give a 5 year old little girl or boy.

When it comes to responses, I don't really expect people to gush if they love it any more than I expect negative criticism if they don't. I am still going to give them my cards either way.

To me, the creation part means something because it is what I love to do and I understand and appreciate everything that goes into it. To them it might not be any different than receiving a Hallmark card.

I say don't worry about it and do what makes you happy!

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

It occurred to me as I was reading the other posts on this thread: If you give someone a store-bought card, it would never in a million years cross their mind to comment on it, except to be grateful that you thought enough about them to send them a card in the first place, and maybe a comment if they found it exceptionally pretty or funny or whatever, but NEVER a negative word! Why, then, do so many feel compelled to downplay the time/effort/energy/cost of anything you might give them from your heart and hands?!? Baffling, that...

I do what makes me happy and if it pleases them, great. If not, I'll BUY the freakin' card next time! Oh, and my "style" is all over the place - whatever makes my Odd Brain itch at the moment... =)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

while I do worry about what the people who receive my cards will think; I end up making what I like. I get very little feedback from family or friends who receive my cards so I've had to stop wondering " do they think this is "cheap and easy" ? or do they realize the time it takes....or the thought I put into it?

I focus on the fact that I enjoy the process and playing with the materials and try very hard to "let it go" after that. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Myself....... I guess if comments lagged where there had always been some, I might end up re-thinking things ;) But I create what I like and hope others enjoy the cards too. It should be win-win ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

It's all about me - always is. :razz:

Family calls me on it all the time. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually try to use some element that I know the person I'm making the card will like. For example, my friend's favourite colour is red, so I will often use that as the main colour, but I still do the card in "my style" (whatever that is ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Like you, Erin, I make my cards to please myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm new to this, so my "style" is extremely limited right now. I do buy supplies that I like and I try to make cards that I like--though I don't always succeed.

That said, why would I want to give someone a card in a style that I KNOW they don't like? To do so would be rude. It would be like buying a skillet for someone who never cooks or a yellow sweater for someone who says they look terrible in yellow.

Sure, we make cards to please ourselves. It's our hobby. But when we are giving, shouldn't we be giving to please that other person?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I'm new to this, so my "style" is extremely limited right now. I do buy supplies that I like and I try to make cards that I like--though I don't always succeed.

That said, why would I want to give someone a card in a style that I KNOW they don't like? To do so would be rude. It would be like buying a skillet for someone who never cooks or a yellow sweater for someone who says they look terrible in yellow.

Sure, we make cards to please ourselves. It's our hobby. But when we are giving, shouldn't we be giving to please that other person?
But that's the thing- a card is a card. It's not something you'll have to wear if you don't like it.

I think it's the thought of having received a card at all that should count. If they appreciate that it's hand made and that effort went into it, that's a bonus. But it's in my opinion more rude to not even acknowledge that a person gave you a card, period.
I don't expect praise if the person does not like the style but I do expect manners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

of course if I know the recipient likes red, or fairies, or beach scenes I will use those things. The original poster was referring to a "style" not necessarily a specific content such as color etc.

In my case, since I get little to no feedback on my cards I am free to make them multi-layered or clean and simple or something in between if that's what floats my boat at the moment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Ususally I make what I like. I do try to customize if I'm making a card specifically for someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixxiewacorgiView Post
I don't expect praise if the person does not like the style but I do expect manners.
That should go without saying. Notice I said "Should"?
It's a sad commentary on society when we have discussions about people who've been rude when they've received a card. :-(

That said, I could see my boys giving me a hard time if I gave them a frilly, lacy, ballerina card. And I'd deserve it! LOL

I have absolutely NO TALENT whatsoever. I'm not fond of my style. I wish I had more tools and other pretties and the talent to use them. I sometimes cringe at the thought of posting my cards (as I did with the Hope You Can Cling To challenge). But I'm lucky ...My family LOVES my cards.

Money is tight this year. My boys (both adults) are only getting one gift each, something that costs $35 or less. I told them they get to choose the gift so they'd be assured of getting something they want. My 24-year-old said all he wanted was a handmade Christmas card that he could put up next to his handmade birthday card. I pestered him for three weeks and he wouldn't tell me anything else. So, he's getting a handmade card and a video game that I picked out. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
It occurred to me as I was reading the other posts on this thread: If you give someone a store-bought card, it would never in a million years cross their mind to comment on it, except to be grateful that you thought enough about them to send them a card in the first place, and maybe a comment if they found it exceptionally pretty or funny or whatever, but NEVER a negative word! Why, then, do so many feel compelled to downplay the time/effort/energy/cost of anything you might give them from your heart and hands?!? Baffling, that...

I do what makes me happy and if it pleases them, great. If not, I'll BUY the freakin' card next time! Oh, and my "style" is all over the place - whatever makes my Odd Brain itch at the moment... =)
GREAT POINT!!! Thank you for mentioning this SOOOOOO true.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It may be totally selfish, but I craft for MEEEEEEEE! It is MY hobby, and they are MY creations. If the receiver doesn't appreciate it, then that is their problem. I love creating, and have fun creating it, so it doesn't matter to me that they don't have the same feelings about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the popular answer, generally, I make cards that please me. Sometimes I get colleagues order a card, and they ask for something very specific, like putting a picture of someone into a different background, a 'jokey' sort of thing- which I will do, but don't really get any enjoyment from, as you have no room for creativity, kwim?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have made cards to please others. OMG! The Pressure! Never ever again! Now, I make cards for me. I feel like it's my best work.

For my recipient I do make a theme him/her would like. I do the same when buying a card. I have all guy friends. They love me very much and put up with all my girl cute things. My guy friends are rough tumble sports addict, car loving, masculine men. They would love my Hello Kitty Birthday card I would give them. I know they would be burying it too, ROFL! Just the ribbing alone if the card was discovered. I would never be forgiven. !

I noticed a lot of card makers have trouble with men's cards. I can make those in my sleep. When I start my blog I guess I should showcase a lot of men cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

I noticed a lot of card makers have trouble with men's cards. I can make those in my sleep. When I start my blog I guess I should showcase a lot of men cards.
I agree, Mens are something I don't have a problem with. I think you need to think a little differently, is all. I notice even the mens cards you can buy tend to have a golf/fishing/beer theme, and that just doesn't suit a lot of guys. I suppose if you are normally a 'cute' cardmaker, it does become a bit of a challenge, lol. I find browsing around a lot of the independant stamp companies can provide a wealth of suitable images that are a little bit different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
So when I make cards I make them to please myself. I'm going to admit this is a selfish hobby of mine. The cards themselves, when they are done, I give them generously, it's the making of them that I love.

So I please me. And lately, for a year or so that means I make very CAS cards. Susan (LateBlossom) is my cardmaking hero.

Interestingly the group of people who see/receive almost all of my cards are not thrilled with this style.

A few years ago I was a very cutsie cardmaker. Everything had cute animals colored well, doing cute things with lots of layers and texture and ribbon and such. And that was a blast and I loved them. I just sorta moved to something different.

So now I enjoy making the cards just as much, but I will admit I miss the gushing praise. Folks around here loved them some cutsie cards.

And it has made me wonder how everyone else approaches that.

Oh and side note when I'm making a special card specifically for these cute lovers I do make that card cute. Most of my cards I make with nothing specific in mind, then people flip through them and take what they want to send to other people that I don't even know. Which is fine with me.
Ditto here! Since I went cas though my family does appreciate my cards coz they know how much love and effort has gone into them, I know it's not the same for them. There was some kind of wow factor for them in the non cas cards THat does make me think sometime if I should change my style but I realized making cards my style makes me happy - otherwise it would become just another chore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

You sound like someone who should definitely have access to the RAK board. I love sending cards to strangers. I make lots of cards, so do my friends, but my friends RARELY send their cards out. I send cards to my friends and family, who I know love the cards, but just knowing that someone is getting a card, completely unexpectedly, is a great job.

And they typically leave a note on the RAK Thank you board.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

OK I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but if you put on the "eyes" of a non-cardmaker card receipient then they may be, confused by the change and also identify the CAS style with one that can be bought in a shop. Now don't get me wrong, I see the art in a beautifully done CAS card. However, many people would puzzle over why you didn't just buy it and be done with it. Whereas a cutsy, loaded up card they can see the difference and why you make your own cards.

I love CAS cards and although my Christmas cards weren't technically CAS they were definitely a nod in that direction.

A lot of people love simplicity but don't necessarily see the beauty (time/effort) in it.

That said, I agree with the poster that said don't worry about the comments because they probably wouldn't comment on a storebought card positively or negatively.

Erin as for how to approach it, just be honest with yourself and them and say that you loved doing that style for a while but now you are exploring a more graphic,clean look with your work. Even great artists went/go through periods of work. We all have to change it up and explore what fascinates us otherwise we would grow bored of what we produce.

I need to like what I made - now I may not think it was the best thing or the prettiest but I have to find something redeeming about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #25  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm selfish in this hobby. I do it for me. When I first started I loaded up the layers like there was no tomorrow. People loved them. Then I gradually scaled back to more simple (but not quite CAS) cards and it not only satisfied me but my recipients as well.

People are fickle, though. I will upload a card here that I hate and it will get loads of comments. Then I load up a project that I adore and not a peep. Often times it has to do with the day of the week or the time of day, anyway, so I don't freak over it.

I strive to make CAS cards every so often. I absolutely LOVE the ones I see, but it's way harder for me to accomplish than Susan (LateBlossom) or the like. Mainly because it's not what comes natural to me.

All in all, this is a passion. If I don't enjoy what I'm doing then it's no longer a passion, it's a chore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I use a style that appeals to me, but I tailor the theme to the recipient, ex: a CAS soccer card for my daughter.

Similar to Erin's point, I sometimes wonder if cards that appeal to cardmakers are different than cards that appeal to recipients. As a cardmaker, I'm always looking for something novel--a new stamp, technique, layout, or just using something familiar in a new way. That's what often catches my eye. People who receive my cards don't have that same perspective. They just like what they like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I agree, Mens are something I don't have a problem with. I think you need to think a little differently, is all. I notice even the mens cards you can buy tend to have a golf/fishing/beer theme, and that just doesn't suit a lot of guys. I suppose if you are normally a 'cute' cardmaker, it does become a bit of a challenge, lol. I find browsing around a lot of the independant stamp companies can provide a wealth of suitable images that are a little bit different.
Exactly! My friends don't want golf or fishing. Maybe beer though, lol. They want gaming cards, sports cards. Guys love cards of pin up girls and sexy ladies.

Staying on topic here, lol. I think that's where a lot of stampers get nervous about making cards for men because most women don't have beer or sexy lady stamps. How are you suppose to make cards for your enjoyment but stay on theme for your recipient?

Digital comes in handy for these images. Changing up your images and fussy cutting helps too. I do have cutesy girly stamps. Then I have a lot of fantasy stamps. I don't own any beer stamps, lol.

One time I made a friend a card with a dragon holding a game controller. I took one of my fairy stamps and cut off her wings. I know I am horrid. I vamped her up. I made the scene look like the dragon was trying to impress my vamp fairy with his gaming skills. My friend loved it. He has that card setting on his shelf with his games. I had a lot of fun making it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

What is CAS?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

CAS stands for "Clean and Simple". Refers to a style of card that has lots of open space, and or a few images only. Check out the thread titled " CAS Favorites for the week ending...". Every Sunday a thread is posted with links to all the clean and simple cards loaded into the gallery throughout the week that people found and were impressed with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I only do CAS cards for my family as no one ever says any different if I make a really clever one.

But I do like to use paper to embelish, matting and layering is so quick to add interest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #31  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I please myself

when choosing a card to send, I try to choose one that will please the recipient, but in making, it's me.

I have made some invitations "to order" but lucky for me, the orderer has left the instructions kinda vague, like beachy theme, or pink & purple and she likes fairies.

but I don't take orders usually, then it becomes a chore

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I please myself. This is MY hobby and MY stress reliving creative outlet. No one gushes over my cards and some people don't even know I made them :-).

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree that I when I create- it's for myself. HOWEVER, a little praise from the recipient of a card or hand crafted item never hurts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I've been pondering this question since the thread was first started.
I don't try to please anybody except myself, normally, when I am making cards. But I must admit that when it comes to sending out some single layer CAS cards I'm a bit more hesitant. I have some that I love, that I haven't even wanted to give away yet, but sometimes I wonder will people feel a bit short-changed by them.
However, it's not something I lose sleep over - although I don't go for a lot of embellishment most of my cards have at least a couple of layers .
Making cards to order is also something I try not to do. Selling cards I've made for my own pleasure is fine, I'm more than happy to do that. But DH came home from work a while back with an order for a New Baby card, with some specifics. I struggled with that card and resented every minute I spent on it - but his colleague paid me €10 when I had only asked for €4, so perhaps it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes