Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #41  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcculloView Post
So, I have had the repeated problem at Mike's lately. Before I start with the recent saga, I need to back up. A few weeks ago, I was in the store looking at ribbons and stamping treasures. I heard someone coming so I moved out of the way of their cart. This woman said, "Oh, I hate people who don't know what they are doing and just come in here to look around!!" I don't know what snapped, but I looked at the lady and burst into tears. I normally don't cry in the middle of stores for no reason. Anyway, there I was with my two $1 stamps and spool of ribbon. I looked at the lady and said "I am sorry, I was not trying to bother anyone. I just wanted to buy some stamps and go home and make a few cards for my friends. I did not know you had to be a professional to shop here." Of course as I am doing this, I am thinking "What are you doing talking to this strange woman and why are you crying??" Anyway, I take my eyes off her and look around and there are a dozen people looking at us. Several started to clap. I wanted to crawl in the floor and run away. The lady just muttered some four letter words and left. I slithered to the check out. When I was in line, this man who I never met came up and said "Excuse me, my wife and I would like to buy your things today. We agreed with what you said." Even more embarrassed, I accepted his offer and left with my three dollars of treasures.

Anyway, I thought it was over. I went home. I stamped. I tried to forget my random tears in the store. Well, this weekend, I braved the store to get something for a new project. I slipped in hoping to avoid humiliation. I was reading the back of an ink pad when I hear "Oh, look who is taking too much time in the store again." I looked up to see the mean lady with her cart. She moved toward me really fast and stopped about an inch from me. She glared and said "This store is for people who know what they are doing." I look up kind of perplexed. She grunted and walked away.

Now, I am not a crafting genius, but is that really needed? Shouldn't crafts be fun???? I would argue with the lady, but I don't think she cares. I might make a card that says smile in case I see her again, but I don't think she would appreciate it :(

Thank you for letting me vent.
Kate
Kate~
HOLY MOLY what a lunatic that woman is. She obviously has a bit of a rage problem to physically threaten you (by nearly ramming you with her cart). She clearly doesn't shop at any of my area Mike's. I roam aimlessly around the aisles thinking of what I'd like to buy all the while trying to keep DD from touching everything. After all that I usually leave with less than $5 of ribbon or $1 stamps.

I'd report her to the manager since this is clearly NOT the kind of shopping experience they want their customers to have. It's so crazy that she was that rude TWICE!

I hope you can brave Mike's again since I hear they have some super cute Halloween stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

I agree the lady has mental issues. I wouldn't engage her at all; just tell a manager. Hang in there!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Oh and what state are you in? I want to know if we happen to frequent the same store so I can watch for this lady.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, maybe it's just me, but this sounds like harassment... And it sounds like she's been stalking the store, just waiting for you to come back...

Be careful and watch your back...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

What a crazy woman! I agree with everyone else! Keep away from that one and go directly to the manager when/if you ever see her again. She's a nutcase!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #46  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

I am actually in shock that this actually happened. How rude and unbelievable. Someone this rude and unbelievable deserves a very special card. I would make a card like this one, carry it in my purse and the next time I run into her, had it to her and say...I made this card specially for you....

In Poor Taste - Maybe by Mothermark at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just smile at her and say"Then YOU need to leave the store". Smile and walk away! You can also buy that Tshirt thats says Mean people Suck and wear it to Michaels on your next trip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe make that card for her, using the gumball machine stamp and glue some prozac to the machine. Instant mood enhancing CARD CANDY!!!!! This is in no way making fun of my fellow anti-depressant takers. I just think this woman needs some meds!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

My first thought would be to tell her off big time. That's how I am, I have a terrible potty mouth and I don't take crap from people like that.

But I gotta say that katrs5's idea might stop this woman in her tracks and shock her. I say try this first.

And if it still doesn't work, then tell her off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrs5View Post
She's rotten.

BUT - if I were you, this is what I'd do. I'd make her a card and keep it in my purse. Next time I saw her - if she said something insulting or not, I'd give it to her.

I would put a nice note in it about how we all have bad days and sometimes, just a stranger's kind word is all it takes to turn it around. How you realize something is bothering her, etc... but that you hope it all works out etc.

Ok - I'd make it sound better than that. BUT - seriously, she needs some prayers.
~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #50  
Inking Addict

I say we all find out where she lives, kidnap all her craft stuff and tell her that when she finds her "happy panties" and can prove that crafting brings joy to her life (as crafting is supposed to), then she can have her stuff back. After 10 days, we split up all her stuff and then get her banned from craft stores for life!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Aww... how awful!! I'm glad you were able to stand up to her... I would have just been in tears... no standing up. Anyhow, I think she does have other issues and you were just an easy target. Next time, you might want to have a card ready for her. Heaps coals of kindness on her head!!

Otherwise, I'd talk to management.

Elizabeth (4/96)
Hannah (9/97)

Andrew (5/00)
Anthony (2/02)

Abigail ( 9/14/06)

"A word spoken in due season, how good it is!" Prov 15:23
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdpView Post
I would suggest speaking to the store manager to make them aware of this person. Your fellow shoppers that were clapping have probably also encountered her. As a store manager I would want to know about a problem person before they got competely out of hand. And bless the man that brightened your day with a RAK.
I agree. Speak to the manager and try to give as good a description of this person as you can.

I would personally avoid a confrontation with her if she shows up again while you are at the store. Just go directly to the front and find a manager immediately.

Don't mean to scare you, but this person truly sounds mentally ill and you do not know what she may do. She could have a gun or knife in her purse for all you know. You see strange terrible things like this on the news quite a lot lately.

I would not take any chances in dealing with her.

So sorry you had this to deal with.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

You've said your peace and she's a whack job. An insecure whack job at that. Plus, her cards are probably *putrid*. Be the bigger person and don't say anything to her, if God forbid, you see her again. People like that just want a fight...don't give her any fuel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #54  
Gabfest Goddess

I agree that this woman most likely suffers from a mental disorder. Just the fact that others in the store showed such a response leads me to believe this wasn't a random act (plus the fact she confronted you a second time!)

It reminds me of a trip to NYC I took a while back... there was a homeless person standing outside St. Patrick's cathedral. I took a picture of the church, and he went balistic. He started yelling and swearing at me about taking a picture of "his" church. Stupid me, I said something smart back to him, and he chased me down the street until I got to the subway and a transit cop stepped in! I was completely scared to death! I know if he would have caught me I would have been hurt, BAD. The dude was HUGE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #55  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Never argue with the crazy people. I'm serious here....as gratifying as those wonderful retorts might be, just back away and get a manager or staff person. You never know but what you might just be the final straw for her to go postal, kwim? (Sorry to postal workers, don't mean to offend!)

Anybody that confrontational and mean, apparently all the time, is a sick person. There's just no need for you to take chances. Don't ignore it, like I said--get a staff person.
ICAM with MSBetsyZ on this -- treat this woman the same way you would treat a big, threatening-looking guy who's following you around the store. Sounds to me like this lady is in a lot of pain and should be seeking medical care for it, and possibly may be trying to reach out to folks with her hurtful behaviour. However, it is *not* your responsibility to deal with her or try and help her when she is in this mental state -- it's too risky to you!

I'm very sorry to hear the awful situations this lady put you in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MothermarkView Post
I am actually in shock that this actually happened. How rude and unbelievable. Someone this rude and unbelievable deserves a very special card. I would make a card like this one, carry it in my purse and the next time I run into her, had it to her and say...I made this card specially for you....

In Poor Taste - Maybe by Mothermark at Splitcoaststampers
That is the perfect card for that rude woman!!!! OMG I can't believe someone would say such things to a stranger in that kind of place. It's a peaceful store kwim?? Except the day after Thanksgiving..

I just wish I was there. I would've love to have put her in HER place!!! lol:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #57  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

That's just terrible! Goodness, do we need to institute a 'shopping buddy' system? Sounds like you just might need one to go back!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:32 PM   #58  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm buggin'!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

I also want to applaud how you handled her the first time - but I am sorry that you have had to deal with this.

The sad part is you will always be looking for her over your shoulder while you are trying to shop that that store in the future.

You have done nothing wrong - relax and shop and browse to your heart's content.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Wow! You ladies are far too nice. Maybe its because I live in L.A and there are too many crazies in this big city, but after I told her to f*^$ off, I would have told her to tell it to her therapist. And also have reminded this evil B*^%H to take her meds! Seriously, who the hell goes around a store and says stuff like that to other people?

Next time you run into Nutty, remember to get tough and tell her where to go. Too bad if she has issues, no reason to rain on eveyone else's parade. If you can't say something nice, the SHUTUP!

Disclaimer- In no way am I making fun of anyone who is on meds or in therapy-that describes most of my family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

I love Maxx's advice to gush at her and ask for product advice!! I also like the idea of a card. The stamp I just ordered that says something like "I fear that there is no PMS and this is my real personality" would be perfect. Of course these are fantasy responses. The smart thing to do (which I rarely do) would be to ignore her but report her to management. I'm sure Michael's doesn't appreciate people acting all "Alpha Dog" over their merchandise and running other customers away.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but please focus on the positive people in this story. They're the ones worthy of your attention.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #62  
Inking Addict

You really must report this woman to the managers as soon as possible, tell them about both incidents, and, as was suggested give as good a desciption of her as you can. Even if this woman has mental health issues it doesn't entitle her to harrass strangers and interfer with Michael's business. The managers absolutely need to know about this situation - she may begin to harrass others customers as well.

Even though a retort or even giving her a card sounds tempting she is much too unstable to confront, just get the manager immediately. Her behavior is more than mean or rude.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default It could be schizophrenia

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Never argue with the crazy people. I'm serious here....as gratifying as those wonderful retorts might be, just back away and get a manager or staff person. .....Anybody that confrontational and mean, apparently all the time, is a sick person. There's just no need for you to take chances. Don't ignore it, like I said--get a staff person.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LavafroggView Post
I agree the lady has mental issues. I wouldn't engage her at all; just tell a manager. Hang in there!
DEFINITELY do not try to confront her in any manner. Do not attempt to "win her over." Do not come up with a snappy answer.

I spent several months attending classes sponsored by the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill ...NAMI. All of us taking the classes were family members of a person suffering from some form of mental illness. I came away some nights feeling very grateful that my son has never smashed someone's windshield, driven over someone's pet on purpose, ripped all the doors off his house or any number of REALLY weird things that I heard from other parents or siblings.

If you see her turn away and go to where there are other people - hopefully staff, but even other customers so you will not be alone with her.

Meanwhile, I am praying that this lady will receive help through whatever means.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #64  
Gallery Gazer

Man, she would really hate me. I never know what exactly I am looking for and when I do I never know where it is. So, I ask tons of questions. Not to mention my husband will just drop me off and go to Home Depot or some other "man" store. Sometimes I leave after an hour or more with next to nothing. Stores like that care about customer service and would want to know. You should definitely report her even if you can't remember her name; you can describe her and tell them what day and time you were there. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #65  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not confront this woman - not with kindness, not with anger. Next time she approaches you, find the manager immediately. She practically assaulted you with her cart. I would not be surprised if she was mentally ill. There is no telling how she will react.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is an incredible incident! How upsetting for you!

I agree that you should alert the manager. You need peace of mind when you are browsing/shopping. So do the rest of the patrons. Mikes loves browsers - they turn in to shoppers sooner or later! LOL!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #67  
Glitter Queen

OMG, what appalling behaviour ! Gosh, she's lucky she didn't happen across me in the store ~ with my hormonal imbalance I would've bitten her head off before I knew what I was doing. I would definately report this woman to the store manager.

How nice that the couple offered to pay for your items on the first occassion. Bless them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 03:07 AM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

It does sound like she has some problems.. I'm sure you're not the first to be verbally mistreated by her!

Personally, I would've had a few choice words back for her... well, at least I think I would Who knows how we react to those kind of people?

Definitely find a manager and report her.

Hugs- you're not crazy or ruining ANYones craft trip. I can't even count how many times I've had to move peoples carts at Mike's lol. It's just because they're taking their time.. hello, it'ss a free country!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 03:14 AM   #69  
Google Master

I thought I would post that you have every right to be in the store and I would keep going and IGNORE HER!!

I can't believe she did this once but twice...HOW RUDE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! :shock: Imagine what she would have thought about me on Sat! I met a fellow SCSer for the first time and we browsed through Mike's for an hour and a half! Mean people suck!

I do think instead of waiting to bump into her again I would make management aware of her NOW! That way if she's in the store again she can be dealt with BEFORE another encounter occurs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 03:49 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I to agree that you need to report it to the manager. If she is doing this to you then you know she is doing to other "new" crafters as well. Enough reports and they will not let her shop there anymore. Also, if you do run into her again, for your own safety do not go into the parking when she is around. Her anger could turn into road rage and you do not need that. Please do report her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #72  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kate,

Please report this woman to the store manager. She is definitely in need of help, and unless you are a mental health professional, you shouldn't confront her, as many posters have already said. I am very impressed with what you told her the first time (I couldn't have found those words as I blubbered from confusion and hurt!), but after the second incident, it's clear that she's having more than a bad day. But you should be able to shop without being harassed.

Bless you and those wonderful folks who RAK'ed you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 04:18 AM   #73  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Kill her with kindness! Just say "have a good day" smile and walk away. She won't know what hit her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 04:24 AM   #74  
Gabfest Goddess

OMG I just realized I know who this woman is!! She's psychotic, hates browsers, acts like she owns the store, and thinks everyone else isn't as good a crafter as she is?

It could only be one person....

MARTHA STEWART!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 04:30 AM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

I probably would have said something like "Well, I just like my crafts to look like I spent a lot of time and effort on them...you know well coordinated, instead of looking like something I just ran through the store and threw together at the last minute."

Actually, I probably would have flipped out on her totally... you know rudeness begets rudeness. I have a short fuse for unnecessary rudeness.

And then the next time I saw her...I'd probably jsut stand there and make it difficult for her to pass. "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that voice. You need to talk to strangers in you big grown-up voice please." Just like I'd talk to my 2 year-old

Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #76  
Kookie Creator

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post

Don't mean to scare you, but this person truly sounds mentally ill and you do not know what she may do. She could have a gun or knife in her purse for all you know. You see strange terrible things like this on the news quite a lot lately.

I would not take any chances in dealing with her.
I agree with this, and also with the person that told you not to go out into the parking lot if she gives you a hard time again.

I once heard a story of two guys that were "fighting" on the road. One guy took out a gun and shot at the other guys car, and ended up killing the other guys wife. It is not worth risking your life trying to talk some sense into somebody that is not right.

I agree that you should go back and talk to a manager now, instead of waiting to see if she is there again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 06:24 AM   #77  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post
OMG I just realized I know who this woman is!! She's psychotic, hates browsers, acts like she owns the store, and thinks everyone else isn't as good a crafter as she is?

MARTHA STEWART!!
*snort*

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

There is a special place in hell for people who pick on stampers. She probably makes ugly crafts......what a B***H!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #79  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
Oh my GOSH! What a mean person. Maybe you should make her one of those "U suck" cards to keep in your purse in case you see her again. Maybe she's going through menopause and can't handle the mood swings at home so she goes to Michael's to accost people. (No offense to anyone going through this, I just remember what my mom was like.)

Ooooooh... Or maybe you could just make a "Mean people suck." sign and if you should see her again, just hold up the sign.

As IF there are rules for who can and can't shop at Michaels. Sheeeesh.

Kimberly
I haven't read the rest of the posts...this one made me laugh my butt off, I even snorted coffee out my nose!!

To the OP, this incredibly RUDE woman doesn't have issues she's a subscriber! I feel so bad that you had to deal with her array of carp on 2 occasions, honestly, the next time you see her (fingers crossed you don't, but just in case) ask her for her name. When she asks you why...tell her it is for the police report you are filing for harassment.

Come to Houston, I'll go shopping with you and we can take all the time we want shopping in the Mikes!!!

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #80  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post

MARTHA STEWART!!
That's even an insult to Martha- report her asap. She doesn't belong there.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes