Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why did they not accept her card?

I was reading a blog where the blogger explained that the card shown was one not accepted by magazine submission(s). I don't know if others were accepted or not. I looked at this card and found it creative, cute, clean lines. Basically, a really great card. Kind of like the cards I see in the magazines! So, why did they reject it? Did the editor's sister submit a card and hers got picked? Was the card done before 100 times over? Was it just back luck?

If this gal's card didn't get accepted, I don't think I would stand a chance when I try after a year or two of card making practice. WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING FOR?? I can't figure it out. But some people DO have it figured out because I keep seeing the same names over and over in various mags.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it all depends on the magazine. But, I don't know either. I've never been published. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 02:57 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Another one unknown here. I've been told to publish some of my work and I've sent it in, but I've never been published either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be published in PaperCrafts in April and May. To be honest, I have no idea what they are looking for...I think it is the luck of the draw!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

I'll be published in PaperCrafts in April and May. To be honest, I have no idea what they are looking for...I think it is the luck of the draw!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

oops! Sorry!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 03:35 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Publishing is a VERY hard market to get into. So much depends on the editor's ideas for where the issue should go. They also take into account, current materials, cost of materials, whether it will photograph well on the spread with the other cards they have chosen and I'm sure there are many other considerations as well. The magazines get fabulous submissions everyday...it is just impossible for them to print every wonderful card.

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 04:12 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

That is what I was thinking, if it is a fabulous card but it didn't fit the theme of the magazine for that issue then it may have been rejected.

I have seen cards rejected that were great and some cards that were published that were less than I would have hoped for, so one really never knows.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 04:19 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree with Kristina. There are a LOT of terrific cards in magazines, and I've seen folks post amazing "rejecteds." But, I've also seen some cards that I thought were not as nice as some rejecteds. Editors get to choose what they want!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I have seen some really bad cards posted on a blog as published and for the life of me can't figure out how she pulled it off. Ugly color combos, poor stamping, crooked paper cuts and then I see something incredible that was rejected. And this girl isn't lying cause I've seen the mags....I am in awe. I think it really is the theme of the mag and pure luck...as well as a splash of talent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by imchattyView Post
I have seen some really bad cards posted on a blog as published and for the life of me can't figure out how she pulled it off. Ugly color combos, poor stamping, crooked paper cuts and then I see something incredible that was rejected. And this girl isn't lying cause I've seen the mags....I am in awe. I think it really is the theme of the mag and pure luck...as well as a splash of talent.

wow that seems very harsh. Why would you even consider the blogger was lying? Maybe your idea of art is not the same as the editors that chose her art work.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I have been published about a dozen times and in every single case it was not one of the cards I thought had the best chance. It was always an "afterthought" card that I just kind of threw in to fill up the packet. I have not been able to find any clue as to what they like so I can work toward it. Have not submitted for 2 years though as it is just lots of work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefanView Post
I have been published about a dozen times and in every single case it was not one of the cards I thought had the best chance. It was always an "afterthought" card that I just kind of threw in to fill up the packet. I have not been able to find any clue as to what they like so I can work toward it. Have not submitted for 2 years though as it is just lots of work.
Same with me (Not the dozen of times published, that's awesome! ) But onthe afterthought cards. I wonder why they choose the ones they do. But whatever ya know? I mean I guess they know what they are doing magazines sell.

Don't let that stop you from sending stuff if you have a goal of being published. Send away! Have fun, and value your work for your self before sending it, don't let them make you feel like it's not "good" if you get rejected. But yea, send away, have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, anyone with a gallery or a blog is published!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Hey, anyone with a gallery or a blog is published!!!

that's my story and i'm stickin' to it!

"well, yes, actually i have been published"

LOL i like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I know that Stampers Sampler and Take Ten publish cards that fit the color scheme on the page (as well as that issue's over-all themes.) So if you submit a bunch of cards done in the same color schemes, maybe you'd have a better chance of being published? It's something I've been meaning to try. Who knows? I've been guilty of looking at certain cards in various mags and think, is that the best they could find? (I feel like a snob for saying that, but it's true. And I'm not talking about cards for beginners, either. I can appreciate simple.) So obviously, I was not the intended audience for those cards.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hmmm....I don't really know. If I did, I guess I would be published...lol!

I am sure they take into consideration the trends of the time, the themes they are looking for, different styles to appeal to a greater audience, etc.

But, like I said...no clue from experience. I dont even have a blog--so I am really NOT published! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Just curious, as I've never submitted any original work to any magazines (I've only submitted color copies of scrapbook pages and email submissions), but how do people know if their work is rejected? Are they sending in actual cards and they're being sent back? Do they get an email that says they're being rejected? I thought that some editors keep cards on file for future issues?

Can someone that's been through this explain it to me?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was talking with my non-stamper but artist sister about this. She knows the cards I send to her and I had her look at the magazine take ten. Right away she knew what my problem was. She told me that the art in Take Ten is more characteristic of middle aged tastes. She said my style was definitely much younger. She said my cards were fine but I should choose to send to a magazine that matches my style more and I would have better luck. Not trying to offend anyone about being old just that people in their 40's have different tastes than people in their 20's. So nice that an outsider to the stamping world could offer a fresh opinion that I can't see because I love all stamping even if it is too old for me. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamboreeView Post
I was talking with my non-stamper but artist sister about this. She knows the cards I send to her and I had her look at the magazine take ten. Right away she knew what my problem was. She told me that the art in Take Ten is more characteristic of middle aged tastes. She said my style was definitely much younger. She said my cards were fine but I should choose to send to a magazine that matches my style more and I would have better luck. Not trying to offend anyone about being old just that people in their 40's have different tastes than people in their 20's. So nice that an outsider to the stamping world could offer a fresh opinion that I can't see because I love all stamping even if it is too old for me. ;)
I'm in my 40's, so I certainly qualify as middle aged ;) I find your sister's perspective interesting, but, I don't know that I would agree that this is why your pieces were rejected for Take Ten.

I'm not sure, of course, for how long you have been submitting to them, but, they do hold samples for an indefinite period of time, so your work may not have necessarily been rejected. It may appear in an issue a year or even two, from the time you submitted it, due to this.

IMHO, think it really boils down to whether or not a piece meets an editorial need, and, unless you have inside knowledge of what those needs specifically are, it can be hard to fathom why a given piece might be accepted or rejected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 08:42 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineMamaView Post
Just curious, as I've never submitted any original work to any magazines (I've only submitted color copies of scrapbook pages and email submissions), but how do people know if their work is rejected? Are they sending in actual cards and they're being sent back? Do they get an email that says they're being rejected? I thought that some editors keep cards on file for future issues?

Can someone that's been through this explain it to me?

Thanks!
Depends on the publication.

As a general rule, those that do not compensate tend NOT to notify the artist one way or the other, regarding acceptance/rejection. Typically, you send the piece in physically, but some do accept email submissions.

Mags that do compensate prefer email submissions and will notify you regarding accepted submissions because they will be issuing you a contract for the piece and expect exclusive rights to it. At that point, they will then expect the piece to be physically sent in with a full write-up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I can go through the gallery looking at hundreds of cards and none of them give me a bit of a clue to the age of the person who made them. I don't think there is "young" versus "old" cards or stamping styles. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamboreeView Post
yah that age thing is kind of funny.. i don't know if it's the age of the reader or the age of the editor, or more specifically, the image the editor wants to project.. there are a lot of "middle-aged women" whose style i love and want to emulate, and there are a lot of women my age or younger whose style i don't care for.. so i don't think it's age.. just personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamperView Post
wow that seems very harsh. Why would you even consider the blogger was lying? Maybe your idea of art is not the same as the editors that chose her art work.
I don't think the op meant that the blogger was lying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I've never been published and I probably will never submit any of my cards...just can't find the time. I find so much more inspiration here on SCS than any magazine. In fact, I haven't renewed any of my subscriptions to mags for that very reason. Now, I just have to bite the bullet and subscribe to the Dirty Dozen gallery. Please twist my arm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 05:18 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been published a few times but I found that I didn't get a big thrill from it. Now it's kind of like . . . been there . . . done that. The last few magazines I puchased just didn't have much that excited me. I felt like I had wasted my money. I think SCS has spoiled me. I joined the fan club way back in the very beginning and it's the BEST *magazine* out there for my money.

But, I do have to admit, when I was new to stamping and SCS wasn't even around, I did buy LOTS and LOTS of magazines and read them OVER and OVER! It was a great source of information for me at the time. But, now that we have SCS . . . well, we've got it all, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 05:30 AM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I started submitting a couple months ago and nothing has been picked up.

So I guess I have no clue what they are looking for.......lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 06:00 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04View Post
Now, I just have to bite the bullet and subscribe to the Dirty Dozen gallery. Please twist my arm.
Ooh, do it, do it, you won't be disappointed! *twisting, twisting*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

IMHO, think it really boils down to whether or not a piece meets an editorial need, and, unless you have inside knowledge of what those needs specifically are, it can be hard to fathom why a given piece might be accepted or rejected.
Yep, I agree 100%!! Sometimes, the ones I have picked up, I look at and say, "HUH?! really? LOL!!"
Old 05-26-2007, 06:29 AM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
I started submitting a couple months ago and nothing has been picked up.

So I guess I have no clue what they are looking for.......lol
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ok....see what I mean...who WOULDN'T pick up Jeanne?!?!?!??!

I might as well quit right now!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 06:51 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=Speedystamper;5912805]I've been published a few times QUOTE]

I have been checking out the gallaries and blogs for those posting to this thread and have seen some awesome cards from people I had not crossed paths with in the past. Really nice creations.

Jeanne, I cannot imagine why someone has not published your work. You are one of my favorites.

I agree with someone else who said, there are so many talented people on this site and beautiful cards, who needs a magazine.

Proud Member of the Fan Club
My Blog: Karen's Stampin' Place
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04View Post
I've never been published and I probably will never submit any of my cards...just can't find the time. I find so much more inspiration here on SCS than any magazine. In fact, I haven't renewed any of my subscriptions to mags for that very reason. Now, I just have to bite the bullet and subscribe to the Dirty Dozen gallery. Please twist my arm.
I look around. A LOT. SCS has *the best* art-stampin', paper craftin', ingeniously creative chicks on the planet--these stampers have skillz that constantly amaze me.

Brace yourself for some sap ;) Not only are they wonderfully talented, they have such great heart--dedicated, humble, generous, positive, kind. They are remarkable people. And, at the risk of sounding very corny, it is my privelege and honor to work with them via the Dirty Dozen. And, every one of them comes from right here in our SCS Community!

All that aside, however, I tend to see the SCS Fan Club this way:

SCS is the ultimate art-stamping community! It offers:
  • Forums that build comeraderie & friendships--got a question? Almost instantaneously, someone who knows the answer will come to your aide!
  • Technique & Project Tutorials
  • Member Galleries for you to archive your work and share it with others
  • Massive Galleries ranging from cards and scrapbook pages to 3D items, gifts, home decor, etc. You will *never* be at a loss for inspiration due to all the artwork everybody shares in these galleries!
When you become a Fan Club Member, your donation helps support a fabulous community and invaluable stamping resource! The Dirty Dozen (a.k.a. Fan Club Gallery) is a thank-you gift for that support, but, what a sweeeeet bonus, if UKWIM? It's like icing on the cake, baby. :grin:

So.

Did I twist good 'nuff? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Many magazines (such as Paper Crafts, Card Maker, etc.) keep a list of designers that they like to work with and send out their "calls for submission" to those designers. So, in a way, those designers *do* have the inside track as far as what each issue will feature. This way the editors receive a selection of cards to choose from that are already in line with what they're looking for. And since this begs the question of how to get on those lists, I can tell you that it is hard work! (I won my spot after last year's Stamping Royalty contest... loved the product prizes, but making the list was even better!) And, once you begin working as a designer more often and have a publication resume built up, it is easier to begin working with other magazines as they may recognize your name, etc.

Also, when a mag has articles or specific ideas in mind for projects that are needed, they sometimes choose to offer an assignments to designers. This could include them simply giving specifics as far as what to make or even sending specific products out to a designer to use. Magazines make their profit off of advertising, so a) it's in their best interest to promote certain brands, products, etc. and b) they also want to feature what's new, what's hot, etc., so that is part of it as well.

As far as general submissions, as others have said, a lot of it does boil down to if what you're submitting does fit the theme, color scheme, etc. of what that mag is looking for *at that moment*. It could be a super creative, awesome card, but if it doesn't fit into any of the features they've already planned out months in advance, then it doesn't help them. The upside is that they may keep it "on file", though, and remember it later! Other things to consider include the fact that mags have limited space... they won't feature too many cards that have similar elements, paper, stamps, tools used, etc. So even if a card is really beautiful, if it uses the same paper and stamps as some others that have already been chosen, it may not be picked. Or if 10 cards come in using the same scallop punch, they will only choose a few, not all of them, even if they were *all* striking. Make sense?

The mags that don't do as many features, articles, etc. (such as Take Ten), are a great way to break into submitting because their mags are more generally themed and they are looking for a greater variety of projects.

I've had many of the same questions in the past, so I hope that helps!
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
:confused:

Ok....see what I mean...who WOULDN'T pick up Jeanne?!?!?!??!

I might as well quit right now!!!!
I agree--gotta be not to pick up Jeanne.

But, as I said before, it has to do with the editorial needs at any given time--not the caliber of the art work.

For those unfamiliar with the publishing aspect of this industry, the rejection rate is always much, much higher than the acceptance rate. If a person is sensitive or cannot accept frequent rejection, well, to be quite frank, they will have a difficult time. It's the nature of this particular beast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 07:49 AM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Good twisting Julie

Another good perk of joining the Fan Club is instant approvals on your uploads - which means you can upload your cards on Sunday too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I agree--gotta be not to pick up Jeanne.

But, as I said before, it has to do with the editorial needs at any given time--not the caliber of the art work.

For those unfamiliar with the publishing aspect of this industry, the rejection rate is always much, much higher than the acceptance rate. If a person is sensitive or cannot accept frequent rejection, well, to be quite frank, they will have a difficult time. It's the nature of this particular beast.
Hehe......love that crazy smilie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

This is a funny post. I recently had a card I LOVED...(doen't happen often) and I was SURE it would get published...It was a masculine card too, so I figured there would be less competition. I sent it in to a magagine on-line (as that was how the call requested it). Nothing, nada...I was soooo bummed. I know it takes a while...but then when I see some of the cards that do get published...I think? WHAT??? Why didn't they like MY card????

Anyway, I am just starting to submit on a regular basis. I have spent LOTS of time studying each publication and identifying their "style" and I spend lots of time researching specific calls. I know that I will get rejected....that is not a big deal. The part that bugs me is not hearing anything at all...I always think...well, if you don't want it, maybe someone else will????

If you want to get published, just keep trying and don't let the rejection or lack of hearing anything get to you...just part of the business.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

I have a question a little off topic - I submitted to the Paper Crafts Stamping Royalty contest, and while I'm pretty sure I didn't win, I'm wondering if Paper Crafts is a mag that holds on to things for future publications. If not, I'd like to post the cards to my gallery here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecardpixieView Post
I have a question a little off topic - I submitted to the Paper Crafts Stamping Royalty contest, and while I'm pretty sure I didn't win, I'm wondering if Paper Crafts is a mag that holds on to things for future publications. If not, I'd like to post the cards to my gallery here.
I was wondering the same thing, as I didn't win either.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecardpixieView Post
You won't receive word one way or the other, until the deadline for submissions has ended in this year's contest, and they have had time to process all the entries. Was there a "notifications" date published in the contest rules and submission guidelines? If so, and you haven't received an acceptance notice by that date, then I think it safe to assume that the piece is not being held. PC is pretty prompt in sending out notifications if they want to hold a piece for future use.
Reply With Quote Likes