Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #41  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shock:

I had an absolutley horrible card published in take ten - I was mortified.shock:
I've sent them some things that were not published that I really loved:o
I've been paid for just 4 items and that was awesome.
I've been rejected a lot!:twisted:

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I agree--gotta be not to pick up Jeanne.

But, as I said before, it has to do with the editorial needs at any given time--not the caliber of the art work.

For those unfamiliar with the publishing aspect of this industry, the rejection rate is always much, much higher than the acceptance rate. If a person is sensitive or cannot accept frequent rejection, well, to be quite frank, they will have a difficult time. It's the nature of this particular beast.
I second that emotion sister!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was just in a rubber stamp store and the classes they were teaching were the classic gold embossed very ornate flower card (think Magenta) that has been done for many years along with a beginners tea bag folding session.

I would have thought the crowd would be 50 and up, but it had many 20-30 year olds who had never tried making cards with either of those styles. Based on that experience, I'm not sure you can say that certain age groups use a specific style. The age range was 20 to late 60's in that class room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #44  
immzw4

There is definitely a taste thing with age, but maybe not with crafting/stamping/scrapping. I work with designers, print and web, and they definitely design differently for different audiences, and often those audiences are age-based. I am almost 40, but my tastes run much younger. Not every 60 year old is the same, not every 20 year old is the same, but there are trends that bear out in research. Did you know that almost every high school age boy wants to be tall and almost every girl that age wants to be a good singer? Weird. Who'd think there'd be such a strong age-related thing like that?!

As for being published, I don't even pretend to have a clue. I submitted for the first time in Feb. and received a card that my submission was accepted for publication, but not when it would be published or even which card (I submitted two). I didn't think either would be published, and I fear greatly that my work will be part of a layout on "What not to do when making a card". My work is definitely not as good as most. I haven't been doing this long enough. I figure it's a fluke, luck of the draw, or seriously, they were just so awful that someone is going to use them as a negative example!! So really, who knows?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamperView Post
shock:

I had an absolutley horrible card published in take ten - I was mortified.shock:
I've sent them some things that were not published that I really loved:o
I've been paid for just 4 items and that was awesome.
I've been rejected a lot!:twisted:
Quite maddening, ain't it? :rolleyes: *chuckle* (head bobbin' up and down in commiseration)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #46  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by immzw4View Post
There is definitely a taste thing with age, but maybe not with crafting/stamping/scrapping. I work with designers, print and web, and they definitely design differently for different audiences, and often those audiences are age-based. I am almost 40, but my tastes run much younger. Not every 60 year old is the same, not every 20 year old is the same, but there are trends that bear out in research. Did you know that almost every high school age boy wants to be tall and almost every girl that age wants to be a good singer? Weird. Who'd think there'd be such a strong age-related thing like that?!
I'm 27.

Forever.

:p

Quote:

As for being published, I don't even pretend to have a clue. I submitted for the first time in Feb. and received a card that my submission was accepted for publication, but not when it would be published or even which card (I submitted two). I didn't think either would be published, and I fear greatly that my work will be part of a layout on "What not to do when making a card". My work is definitely not as good as most. I haven't been doing this long enough. I figure it's a fluke, luck of the draw, or seriously, they were just so awful that someone is going to use them as a negative example!! So really, who knows?
OMG. This reminds me! One time Take Ten sent me back 2 cards with a nice little rejection letter. Had m'self a little pity party, cuz typically, with Stampington, if they reject a piece they forward these on to a charitable organization for their use.

Consequently, I figured they considered these cards so butt-ugly, they would rather pay the postage to return 'em to me, rather than donate 'em to the charity!

To my surprise, a month later, the two rejected pieces appeared in Take Ten; apparently, there had been some sort of mix-up as they'd gotten a new editor, and things got a bit chaotic in their offices at that time . . . :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #47  
immzw4

Funny that you're perpetually 27, because I've actually goofed a couple of times in the past year and said I was 26, then had to correct myself. So very embarrassing.

I can't imagine anyone rejecting your cards as "butt ugly", but I laughed picturing your pity party. That would be me, convinced I was just so horrible that they wouldn't even have considered sending it to a charity. That is just so funny that YOU would think that about your cards!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by trudeeView Post
Yep, I agree 100%!! Sometimes, the ones I have picked up, I look at and say, "HUH?! really? LOL!!"

I have felt the SAME way, Trudee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 437 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd say all of those things already mentioned and maybe she tried the wrong magazine. My favorite is Stampers' Sampler because they let you know in the back of every issue the things they will be looking for in upcoming issues and the deadlines for those. They also save some of those cards not used in a certain issue, but make additional special issues that many of these end up in. I noticed that on the three that I have had published my color scheme just happen to be what probably was the deciding factor since most things on that page were of those colors. You can't get publushed if you don't send anything in, but just like the lottery, there's still alot left up to chance!!I think too if you submitt a few at the same time with the same colors or themes this might be a persuading factor as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #50  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamboreeView Post
I was talking with my non-stamper but artist sister about this. She knows the cards I send to her and I had her look at the magazine take ten. Right away she knew what my problem was. She told me that the art in Take Ten is more characteristic of middle aged tastes. She said my style was definitely much younger. She said my cards were fine but I should choose to send to a magazine that matches my style more and I would have better luck. Not trying to offend anyone about being old just that people in their 40's have different tastes than people in their 20's. So nice that an outsider to the stamping world could offer a fresh opinion that I can't see because I love all stamping even if it is too old for me. ;)
I havent tried to submit my work to Take Ten or the regular magazine put out by the makers of Take Ten. Is it Stampinton & Co? Their style is such a 180 from my style, Im not really into that whole collage, vintage, people stamps, etc. (although crafty secrets is really starting to grow on me).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #51  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

You won't receive word one way or the other, until the deadline for submissions has ended in this year's contest, and they have had time to process all the entries. Was there a "notifications" date published in the contest rules and submission guidelines? If so, and you haven't received an acceptance notice by that date, then I think it safe to assume that the piece is not being held. PC is pretty prompt in sending out notifications if they want to hold a piece for future use.
The submission date was for the cards to be postmarked by April 27th, and I think the notification date was May 14th.
So what do they do with the cards that don't make it? Do I want to know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2007, 04:38 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had several cards published in Take Ten and like some other posters said, they weren't necessarily my favorite cards. But I guess they fit in with the theme of that issue.

And keep an eye out - I've had some cards published that I sent in over a year ago. Sometimes they hold onto them until they can use them.

I also found that they are always looking for new techniques. I sent in a bunch of sample cards that I used for technique classes and they contacted me to send in a few more of specific techniques that they had not featured before (like some of the techniques found right here on SCS in the Resources or challenges!). They asked that I send the cards in groups of 3 or 4 based on color - I guess they look better on the page that way.

And...after sending in SO many cards, I'm finally going to be a guest artist in Take Ten! I have to finish up my interview and find a decent photo of myself to send in...

http://kathy.thetorrences.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

Does anyone have a list somewhere of different magazines and where to send them for publications?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

I was lucky enough to be published ONE time (not a stamping specific magazine) and I have probably turned in at least a hundred to this same publication. It was last year and I made it a personal goal to get published (you know, just for sh!ts and giggles) and it will probably never happen again, lol! I agree with the person that said it's a hit or miss thing...I figured they probably needed a page filler that month. BTW, it is very frustrating to look at the back and see the same name for 10-15 different pages in the same issue...month after month after month...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2007, 05:28 AM   #55  
Matboard Maniac

Kathy -- congratulations! I will keep a look-out for your "guest artist" debut!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I look around. A LOT. SCS has *the best* art-stampin', paper craftin', ingeniously creative chicks on the planet--these stampers have skillz that constantly amaze me.

Brace yourself for some sap ;) Not only are they wonderfully talented, they have such great heart--dedicated, humble, generous, positive, kind. They are remarkable people. And, at the risk of sounding very corny, it is my privelege and honor to work with them via the Dirty Dozen. And, every one of them comes from right here in our SCS Community!

All that aside, however, I tend to see the SCS Fan Club this way:

SCS is the ultimate art-stamping community! It offers:
  • Forums that build comeraderie & friendships--got a question? Almost instantaneously, someone who knows the answer will come to your aide!
  • Technique & Project Tutorials
  • Member Galleries for you to archive your work and share it with others
  • Massive Galleries ranging from cards and scrapbook pages to 3D items, gifts, home decor, etc. You will *never* be at a loss for inspiration due to all the artwork everybody shares in these galleries!
When you become a Fan Club Member, your donation helps support a fabulous community and invaluable stamping resource! The Dirty Dozen (a.k.a. Fan Club Gallery) is a thank-you gift for that support, but, what a sweeeeet bonus, if UKWIM? It's like icing on the cake, baby. :grin:

So.

Did I twist good 'nuff? ;)
You sure did...I signed up yesterday and all I can say is wow! Thanks for the twisting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

I have seen mine show up nearly 2 years after submitting and I generally learned about it on a chatboard!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #58  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04View Post
You sure did...I signed up yesterday and all I can say is wow! Thanks for the twisting.
My pleasure.

;)
Reply With Quote Likes