Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do people ask more for a retired stamp set.

Why do a lot of people ask more for a retired stamp set. While others ask under or the same. I know some times the retired sets are harder to find. But some times people just ask way to much and frankly I don't understand. Esspecially since there no longer useing it or don't care for the set anymore. So why not at least ask what you paid for it to get your money back.

SO I GUESS MY QUESTION IS WHY DO PEOPLE CHARGE SO MUCH FOR A SET THEY NO LONGER WANT.

I myself won't pay for a set any higher than the regular price, hard to find or not. Are people really just so addicted they have to have all of them. And will pay anything to get them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Law of Supply and Demand
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, I have bought some retired sets over the price, and I simply want to recoup my money. I know that has happened to a lot of people.

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

When someone is looking to buy a retired set, often they will pay way more than it was originally worth, because they cant just order it from their demo anymore, or easily find it somewhere. So if the consumer is willing to pay, people will jack their prices up to make money. I saw the retired set Wild West (I think that's what its called) on ebay one day a few weeks ago and it was up to $92! So someone is willing to pay that ... not me, I cant afford that much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When a set is discontinued, it INCREASES in value.

If an individual wants to achieve the best return for their investment of it, they will charge more, and, in most cases, someone who values the set enough to pay the price, will have no problem buying it.

If looking at it from a business perspective, the above is an intelligent move on the part of the seller.

Those who do not consider their stamps as "investments", are unlikely to approach it in that fashion.

For example, I had a *highly* coveted old-fashioned stove image (SU!), excellent condition/hardly used, that I sold to someone for $5. The buyer told me she was stunned I sold it for that, because she'd seen it go for 10x that amount on Ebay . . . In hindsight, I probably should have done precisely that; I wouldn't be surprised if she did it, once she received it from me. ;)

Retired rubber stamps are highly collectible, just like many other retired/rare articles, such as coins, vintage porcelain pieces, vehicles, etc. A smart investor of such items knows how to gauge what consumers are willing to pay for them, and prices them accordingly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

guess I never really thought of it that way Julie. Hmm an antique for some I guess. For me I don't think I could charge that much for a stamp set. I'd be happy just to get what I paid for.

Same as with other things. I work for the elderly and couldn't have the heart to ask x amount of dollars when cleaning there houses. So I charge around $10 to $12 an hour. While I know others make 20 + or more. I just can't do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I kind of wondered that myself. I never thought of stamps as collector's items, but I guess they are! I always assumed that once used, they'd depreciate in value because most people want new items.

A few weeks ago I was looking for a retired set.. Coast to Coast. I checked ebay to get an idea of what it's going for, and it was going for approx. $40 for a very used, stained set. I had one gal contact me from another group and offered to sell me hers for $30 that was brand new, unmounted even. I was very impressed that she only wanted to recoup her money and wasn't out trying to stick it to someone because it's retired and in high demand. But it seemed backwards.

I'm not saying people who take advantage of supply and demand are "sticking it" to anyone. I mean things are only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. It's just we use our stamps. Most collectibles are only worth more retired if they're in pristine, brand new condition. Most of the stamp sets that are retired and being sold are in used condition. Who would have thought stamping to be such a goldmine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I'm sure some people buy retiring sets strictly as an investment hoping they will be able to make money on them, the same way people will buy things like retiring colors of fiestaware and other collectibles hoping they will increase value so they can make money. It's the American way!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I have never paid an obscene price for any stamp set, but if you are a collector if any item and want it badly enough you will pay for it. On the other hand, I will hold onto a stamp set longer, even if I am not interested in it anymore, as there are several that will increase in value. I see many of the things that I purchase as an investment. (i.e artwork, furniture, stamps, etc.) I tend to watch the market on those items more closely. I won't cheat people on the prices, but I will charge more closely to what the market will bear. (If I auction I just start the price super low and let it rise to what the going price is.)Things are a bit different in the buy/sell/trade forum. At that point, I just want my stamps! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am SOOOO glad you asked this question as something has been bothering me for a while.

I usually sell my stuff at much less than what I paid for it. However, I offered a retired hard to find SU set here once for above the original price, but lower than it was selling for on ebay. I got some private messages accusing me of trying to take advantage of folks here on SCS! I felt awful!

I really believe that it is the law of supply and demand and it pays to do your research before selling or buying used anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62
guess I never really thought of it that way Julie. Hmm an antique for some I guess. For me I don't think I could charge that much for a stamp set. I'd be happy just to get what I paid for.

Same as with other things. I work for the elderly and couldn't have the heart to ask x amount of dollars when cleaning there houses. So I charge around $10 to $12 an hour. While I know others make 20 + or more. I just can't do it.
Just another perspective - my elderly aunt pays to have her house cleaned (she lives in a rural community) and she would consider $12/hour for house cleaning highway robbery! I'm not saying she's right, but it's all a matter of perspective, I guess - and that same argument applies to what some consider a crazy amount to spend on a retired stamp set.

Let me also just say this same aunt would fall over dead if she knew even 1% of what I spend on stamping! ;) But yet she enjoys my cards, so I gotta love her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

What I dont understand is why people are paying double on ebay for stamping spots? I have seen them going for $38 to $40 for a set of spots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jillgunter
What I dont understand is why people are paying double on ebay for stamping spots? I have seen them going for $38 to $40 for a set of spots.
Sometimes it is impulse buying -- click and spend. Sometimes folks don't like to buy from a demo because they think it obligates them to buy more (not a very good reason!!) and sometimes it is folks in countries where there is no SU or in places in the US where folks don't know a demo or don't know enough to find one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Greed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I should add:
I think it is ridiculous to pay more than list for a USED set of stamps.
To me, there is something dishonest about offering items on this board or someplace similar for over the original list price and using " I saw it on ebay as a justification". Usually the justification is something like: A set sold for $30 on ebay recently. I am only asking $25.
My response: Well then, sell it on e-bay and let the open market dictate what the value will be. Of course, your net will be dictated by your seller rating, competion ebay and pay pal fees and any number of other factors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberinker
Greed
Do you feel that way when you buy groceries, clothing or crafting supplies? They're marked up too. It's called capitalism and the beauty of our system is if you don't want to pay what the seller is asking you are free to look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

And others don't. To call a seller greedy or dishonest makes no sense unless you are prepared to call everyone who sells something at retail greedy. If they are telling you the price up front I guess I don't get how they're dishonest. Unfortunately, I guess there are always those who are jealous of people making a buck or people who will pay top dollar.

I'm off to stamp something pretty, little too much negative energy here tonight :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

i saw a mounted retired stella stamper set go for $75.00 on ebay, and purchased my own retired unmounted set for $30.00 shipped. i have to say, if someone had offered me $75 for it, i probably would have taken it. sometimes people need the money. now, i'm not saying it's right to start it up there, but if it makes it up there on it's own demand, who would turn it down? i don't know, maybe i'm in the minority, but most people who are selling on ebay are doing so for the extra cash, you know?i personally wouldn't pay that much, but sometimes people just have to have something that badly and money isn't an issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

I have sold several retired sets on ebay for way over their original price. I start the bidding at $1.99. People can bid or not....the above are correct. It is the law of supply and demand. You can choose to bid or not. If the price goes higher than you are willing to pay, you no longer bid. If you set a fixed price and no one wants to pay it, that is their right. And you don't have to sell if for less if you don't want to.....

No different than baseball cards, beenie babies,coins, or other collectibles. Did you see all the fuss about the new dollar coins that were misprinted. Or they left off , IN God we Trust. Well.....they were going for about $60 each. But they are really only $1 coins. it is an interesting world! I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberinker
Greed
Hmmmm. Well, I suppose some might see it that way . . .

In the case of goods for sale (whatever they are), a seller is within their rights to sell it at whatever price they think the market will bear, and the consumer is within their rights to buy or not buy. That's the nature of capitalism and the free enterprise system.

I personally couldn't consider any seller "greedy", if the consumer has a choice on whether to buy or not buy; they're not being *forced* to buy.

And, if a seller is astute enough to know the market well and use that info to earn maximum profit for an item, well, frankly, I gotta tip my hat. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

EXACTLY!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70
Law of Supply and Demand
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Because they can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

The key really is really what people will pay. The word "collectible" is overused IMO to get people to buy things and overbuy on the premise that it will be one day retired and therefore very valuable. If people are willing to pay the price then that's great for you. There are many collectibles that have a high demand and prices remain high. Some (such as Baskets; Beanie Babies) fads go out of fashion and people can't unload the item for what they paid, even though it's "collectible".

If you like something you should buy it and then when you tire of it sell it for whatever the market will bear. If you don't buy something simply for the "investment" then you won't be disappointed later if you can't sell it for a profit or recoup your money.

Whew! Long pot - sorry but that word "collectible" gets me going. Anybody want to buy a Franklin Mint Elvis Presley collectible plate? Just kidding!!

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

[quote=stampaholic17]The key really is really what people will pay. The word "collectible" is overused IMO to get people to buy things and overbuy on the premise that it will be one day retired and therefore very valuable. If people are willing to pay the price then that's great for you. There are many collectibles that have a high demand and prices remain high. Some (such as Baskets; Beanie Babies) fads go out of fashion and people can't unload the item for what they paid, even though it's "collectible".

If you like something you should buy it and then when you tire of it sell it for whatever the market will bear. If you don't buy something simply for the "investment" then you won't be disappointed later if you can't sell it for a profit or recoup your money.

Whew! Long pot - sorry but that word "collectible" gets me going. Anybody want to buy a Franklin Mint Elvis Presley collectible plate? Just kidding!![/quote]

LOL My mom would be all over THAT (and she'll take your beanies too:mrgreen: ). She got my kids some beanies from McDonalds and then got mad at me when I *TOOK THE TAGS OFF* and let them play with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17

Whew! Long pot -
Talk about a typo! That should be "post" not pot. LOL!!!

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

[/QUOTE]
LOL My mom would be all over THAT (and she'll take your beanies too:mrgreen: ). She got my kids some beanies from McDonalds and then got mad at me when I *TOOK THE TAGS OFF* and let them play with them.[/QUOTE]

My DH gave my beanies away, along with my Hallmark Christmas ornaments I might add. While I was not looking!

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Then is it greed on the part of a buyer to buy a stamp set for $1 at a yard sale when they know that the set is worth far more than that. I don't think so--it works both ways. No one is making anyone pay any price for anything. If I offer a set for $100 and someone wants it enough to pay for it, no one has done anything to anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

I paid over $50 for a retired set on Ebay that I had been looking for for 2 years. During that time, it only appeared about 3 times. By the time I won it, it seemed like a bargain after all the time I spent looking for the doggone thing and now I use it all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

People ask more than what they paid for simply because they want to make a profit. I have given up buying stamps here - for the retired stamps that I want I can get them cheaper on eBay. Someone asked me for $50 for Fashion Statements. It is going for much less on eBay. Craziness! In fact I am learning to just give up on some I really want because there will always be a cute stamp around the corner and if you wait long enough it will have the same theme. Eh.

If there is something you really want check eBay out.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

I see all sides. I think it's hard for some of us to be comfortable with the concept of paying tons of money for a retired set that sold for $20 when it was available because we LOVE this hobby so much and when we see that happening it kind of hurts in a weird way, like someone is turning something fun and special to us into pure dollar signs.

I say do what you are comfortable with, but for ME I could never do it (sell a retired set for a high amount). The most I've done is trade a valuable used set for a "popular" new one, but the trade value is always within no more than $5 to my advantage.
Reply With Quote Likes