Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by raestamps
As a customer, I think this sounds awesome! The $10 credit is a great idea for a new customer. I refuse to pay for a catalog. As a customer who drops a lot of money on SU every year, I think it's owed to me! ;)

Looking at it online in a pinch is fine but it just is not the same.
Hi Rachel!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESS
One thing that doesn't seem to be mentioned here is that many OTHER stamp companies also sell their catalogs. I know in the past I've bought catalog from Hero Arts and Stampendous. Thus selling vs giving away a catalog, in general, seems to be a bit of the norm in the stamping industry.
Actually, it IS the industry norm, and has been for a very long time. 10 years ago I remember buying catalogs from PSX, roughly similar in size and scope to Stampin' Up's catalogs now, for $10 and change. Plus shipping, since there was no place local to purchase one.

I used to sell Great Impressions stamps as an online retailer; their catalog was nothing but the line art...absolutely NO pictures or design ideas at all. They expected me to charge $4 for the catalog, and didn't charge me much less that than for them.

Hero Arts has always been $10; Stampendous; $10; tons of companies sell their catalogs that might be 1/10the the size for $6-8! Not only that, lol, but charge for quarterly supplements as well! I think Hero Arts charges $3 or so for theirs. Retailers are generally given ONE copy of the catalog and the inserts; the rest they have to purchase just like normal inventory.
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Hi Rachel!

Hi Keri! hehehe. You know how I am about the catalog, right???? (BTW...I *still* don't have one in hand).
Pearl-ExPert

Wow it is varied. Now I do understand the thinking behind charging. I wonder how it affects business.......but then again nothing is equal between 2 demos & their customers so you wouldn't be able to judge. Like I said my only experience is with this one woman and I can not believe she is successful, although my understanding is that she is.

Thank you all!
Stazon Splitcoast

I have paid for several other stamp companies catalogs this year alone. I also pay lots of money in magazines for new stamping ideas and I personally always end up back at my SU book(s) for inspiration. I have paid over $20 for some books so I feel the $10 is a deal. I try to keep in mind that my demo is running a business. I can't walk into Michael's and tell the cashier I want this book for free because I spend a lot of money here and it inspires me to come back and spend more. I was happy to know the profits my demo made helped her stay at home with her children. I am now a demo because I moved out of state and it was easier to support my own habit. I would have to charge for them because I can't afford to pay for them and all the rest of my business supplies like order forms, minis, etc. Each demo does it her own way and what is best for her business.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Quote:

As a customer, I think this sounds awesome! The $10 credit is a great idea for a new customer. I refuse to pay for a catalog. As a customer who drops a lot of money on SU every year, I think it's owed to me! ;)

Looking at it online in a pinch is fine but it just is not the same.
As a customer I don't think I felt it was owed to me (my demo [now upline] was very generous in free paper, reinkers, little small things when I placed a big order), but I would host a party in order to get the free catalog. When I began to spend too much for my own good, my upline suggested that I sign up as a demo. Now that I am a demo, I still relate to how it was when I was the customer, and often look at things from both sides. (That might be the libra in me) As a customer, I would have appreciated receiving a free catalog, so I give my customers a free catalog.
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

I figure with my taxes and shipping it's $5.00 for each catalog. I give free ones to my clubs, but at workshops I only charge what I pay if the customer places an order.
Mad Swapper

I have never paid for a catty from SU!!

My philosophy is this: I love stamps, I want stamps, I NEED stamps.... So, I book a party/workshop, invite all my firends, have a blast laughing our butts off as one woman loved the color of the red wine and stamped with it!! (Demo said okay, it washes:p ) I got lots of free stamps, my friends got lots of new stamps that I get to use LOL and I got my catty free! I usually book a party right away for that free catty! At least that's what I did with my "old" demo who now longer sells.

My new demo I found using the locater lives about a mile from me and she gave me my catty free. 1 - I was the only one who consistently answered all her emails :mrgreen: 2 - she's discovered just how nuts I am for stamps. She got a pretty good idea right off the bat that I am going to be a very good customer$$ And yes, I have booked a party in the next couple of months, placed a new catty order already, and signed up for her stamp camps already.

I want it for free, but I am going to purchase from it on a pretty good basis. And so has my sister, my neighbor, a couple of friends.....
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I hope your winking smiley means you don't really think it's "owed" to you. It is a nice perk to get from your demo if you are a big spender, but I don't agree that it is "owed" to anyone. It's nice that your demo is able to eat the expense for you.
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
I hope your winking smiley means you don't really think it's "owed" to you. It is a nice perk to get from your demo if you are a big spender, but I don't agree that it is "owed" to anyone. It's nice that your demo is able to eat the expense for you.

I did type it with the wink as a joke. And you're right, it isn't owed to me or anyone else. I still refuse to pay so if it isn't given to me, I won't buy anything! In other words, I think it pays the demo to give me a catalog.

"Giving" could mean "free catalog with purchase of $50" or a similar deal like that too. I am not opposed to that.

All of the SU addicts I know buy a lot of stamps and supplies. I wonder how much they would sell if no one had a catalog.
Hardware Hotshot

I cannot afford to give away catalogs! I do give them to hostesses (they've earned one by opening their home) and to orders over $100 (good chance for future orders.)
With my tax rate + s/h they are $5 a piece (my cost)... PLUS I have to *buy* my order forms from SU, *buy* the mini catalogs to be mailed, plus *buy* materials and supplies for make&takes and samples.
As a demo, I receive 20% of my sales... that's it....

So for a workshop that a demo spends 2-3 hours prepping for, then another 2-3 hours working at, then placing the order... say 6 hours of work - - if it is a $150 party.... how much does the demo make?
$30 for 6 hours of work.... = $5/hr
...not to mention the time involved in making samples, learning techniques and the money spent on supplies.

BUT if she gave away 3 catalogs, there goes all of her profit...

As with any business, the overhead adds up! Every business has its products that have a higher profit margin - do you really think that $1.89 Pepsi from Burger King's fountain costs anywhere near that? That is how they make money.

I understand *not* wanting to buy a "catalog", but Take Ten (which I buy) is $14.95! And it doesn't have a fraction of the samples the IB&C has. Even as a customer I thought $10 was a great deal.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I did type it with the wink as a joke. And you're right, it isn't owed to me or anyone else. I still refuse to pay so if it isn't given to me, I won't buy anything! In other words, I think it pays the demo to give me a catalog.
LOL Thanks for the clarification! It's so hard to read tone. I don't blame you at all for wanting it for free. Who doesn't!? ;) It does help to have the catty in hand if you're going to buy!
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
LOL Thanks for the clarification! It's so hard to read tone. I don't blame you at all for wanting it for free. Who doesn't!? ;) It does help to have the catty in hand if you're going to buy!
I don't have my catalog yet but I was just looking on line and noticed that the prices for many of the existing sets have increased dramatically.

Who can afford a catalog (too) at these prices!?

Some sets that jumped in price:

All about U
Bubble Queen
Totally Cool
Pocket Fun
Some Like it Hot
Label Classics.

WOW. They just didn't go up a dollar or two either. It's closer to 7-10 bucks a set.

Sorry for getting off track. I am just shocked! About that 'free' catalog...
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I don't have my catalog yet but I was just looking on line and noticed that the prices for many of the existing sets have increased dramatically.

Who can afford a catalog (too) at these prices!?

Some sets that jumped in price:

All about U
Bubble Queen
Totally Cool
Pocket Fun
Some Like it Hot
Label Classics.

WOW. They just didn't go up a dollar or two either. It's closer to 7-10 bucks a set.

Sorry for getting off track. I am just shocked! About that 'free' catalog...

Make sure you're viewing the US catty if you're in the US. There were some on another thread who were inadvertently seeing the Canadian catty instead where prices are higher. Prices on the sets you referenced are the same as last year (All About U went up but only by I think $1).
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Rachel you are looking at the Canadian catalog!!! LOL
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Rachel you are looking at the Canadian catalog!!! LOL

Bahahaha.

I just laughed out loud and thanked God because my chances for a divorce this year went down dramatically!

As always, thanks, Keri! ;)

Want your job back?
Insane Embellisher

Oh, and see why that online catalog viewing doesn't always work out?
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
...I just found the cheapest set I could and made the obligatory "I hate you for inviting me to your home party" purchase, and was gone-
HAHAHA.....I am laughing my butt off at that one......How many times have I thought that about someone inviting me to one of "those" parties.
Thanks for making me laugh
Kookie Creator

***ohh, i have lots of thoughts on this one.... ***
***i didn't see any comments from Canadian demos indicating that the price for us is NOT $4.00 it is actually $6.50!
***Did anyone mention that in Canada the suggested price for a cattie went from $14.95 to $13.50??
***i didn't notice any increases in stamp set prices but i did notice that the price for PUNCHES decreased!! YIPPY!
***the hostess benefits (page 13 of Canadian cattie) state that you get a FREE catalogue for hostessing a workshop in your home, it does NOT indicate that there is a minimum. that means to me that even if you only have $50 worth of sales (my first workshop) you get a free cattie for being a hostess and introducing me to your stampin' friends!
***the SU demonstrator is NOT required to give you a free cattie because you place lots of orders, if you want it free have a workshop!
***there are lots of other expenses in having a workshop that we don't neccesarrily recoup. we have to pay for mini catties, order forms, IB&C, all of the make and take supplies, adhesive (don't go crazy with your demos snail!! LOL) incentives, prizes, draws/free gifts etc etc, what about the guest that has to have everything 'perfect' and uses 3 peices of cardstock to make her card instead of just one!!??or the guest that leaves the cap off the glue/marker/blender pen???
***? if you were unhappy with the service safeway(for instance) provided you'd let them know. tell her how you feel...she may have never thought about it from your perspective. maybe she can't afford not to charge the price indicated on the back of the book? maybe she never thought of it?
***how about the cost of giving a cattie to someone who books a workshop and NEVER has it/never places an order?
***quote/"So for a workshop that a demo spends 2-3 hours prepping for, then another 2-3 hours working at, then placing the order... say 6 hours of work - - if it is a $150 party.... how much does the demo make?
$30 for 6 hours of work.... = $5/hr
...not to mention the time involved in making samples, learning techniques and the money spent on supplies.

BUT if she gave away 3 catalogs, there goes all of her profit..."/quote

***okay i think that is all i have to say
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Actually, it IS the industry norm, and has been for a very long time. 10 years ago I remember buying catalogs from PSX, roughly similar in size and scope to Stampin' Up's catalogs now, for $10 and change. Plus shipping, since there was no place local to purchase one.

I used to sell Great Impressions stamps as an online retailer; their catalog was nothing but the line art...absolutely NO pictures or design ideas at all. They expected me to charge $4 for the catalog, and didn't charge me much less that than for them.

Hero Arts has always been $10; Stampendous; $10; tons of companies sell their catalogs that might be 1/10the the size for $6-8! Not only that, lol, but charge for quarterly supplements as well! I think Hero Arts charges $3 or so for theirs. Retailers are generally given ONE copy of the catalog and the inserts; the rest they have to purchase just like normal inventory.
It may be industry standard but it's not direct-sale/home-based party standard, if you know what I mean. And I think that's what causes so much discussion on the topic. How many times do we hear "I got a free catalog from my (Pampered Chef, Partylite, etc.) demo."? Yes, the SU! IB&C is much larger than those and full of ideas but, looking at it from the perspective of someone who may be new to stamping, it's just another catalog and it doesn't make sense to pay for it. Which is why threads like this one are a good thing, I think, because it makes the reasoning behind charging for the IB&C pretty clear!

Inking Addict

Anne - I think that you hit the nail on the head. SU demos give away a lot of free catalogs along the size of the Pampered Chef/Party lite etc... our mini catalogs are wonderful and they are about the same in size and cost to most of the catalogs for home-based sales companies.
And just like all of the other posts have mentioned the Idea Book and Catalog is just more costly to produce and purchase and that is why it usually has a cost associated with it.
Kookie Creator

Default Industry standards....CTMH thinking outside the box

I agree that it USED to be industry standard to charge for catalogs. I think this may be changing. CTMH has recently gone to a seasonal catalog approach (3 this year), each one has a smaller price attached to it. However, CTMH consultants are strongly urged by the company (although this is not mandatory), to give these cheaper catalogs away for free to their customers/potential customers (much like SU's Mini's are). My local CTMH consultant has provided me with 2 catties for free even though I hadn't placed an order with her until earlier this week.

Back to my SU experience, I didn't realize that the workshop had to be in my home, I have been telling my demo that I wanted a free cattie for placing a hostess sized order:???: To be honest I think this should be the policy. Some people just can't hold workshops in their home. I have 2 small children and it would be impossible to hold a workshop at home (they would either destroy everything or be sleeping lightly in the next room). Yes the thought is that the demo would meet your friends, but I did try holding a CTMH workshop once and only 2 people came and placed the obligatory small order (about $12 each). So my demo might be better just to take my hostess order and hand over the catty ;)
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SammyStamper
I can't walk into Michael's and tell the cashier I want this book for free because I spend a lot of money here and it inspires me to come back and spend more.
No you can't, but what SU does is like Michaels charging for you to come into their store to take a look....
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazG
I agree that it USED to be industry standard to charge for catalogs. I think this may be changing. CTMH has recently gone to a seasonal catalog approach (3 this year), each one has a smaller price attached to it. However, CTMH consultants are strongly urged by the company (although this is not mandatory), to give these cheaper catalogs away for free to their customers/potential customers (much like SU's Mini's are). My local CTMH consultant has provided me with 2 catties for free even though I hadn't placed an order with her until earlier this week.

Back to my SU experience, I didn't realize that the workshop had to be in my home, I have been telling my demo that I wanted a free cattie for placing a hostess sized order:???: To be honest I think this should be the policy. Some people just can't hold workshops in their home. I have 2 small children and it would be impossible to hold a workshop at home (they would either destroy everything or be sleeping lightly in the next room). Yes the thought is that the demo would meet your friends, but I did try holding a CTMH workshop once and only 2 people came and placed the obligatory small order (about $12 each). So my demo might be better just to take my hostess order and hand over the catty ;)
I've always given hostess benefits to customers who come up with a $150 or more order...that's called a book party or catalog show. It doesn't matter if it's all one order or a collection of them...most demos do the same.

And quite a few (including me) give a catalog away free when someone orders $100, some people give them away for less in orders.

Last time I wanted a Hero Arts catalog, I had to buy $50 in Hero Arts stamps from my local store to get one free...and their stamps cost a lot more than ours do! For $50 I probably got 5 stamps...$50 in SU!'s catalog will get you a lot more than that.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazG
No you can't, but what SU does is like Michaels charging for you to come into their store to take a look....
With the online catalog available for free, I don't think you could make that claim anymore.

And you can't take the Michael's store home in your tote bag and pull it out while you are in bed to browse through at your leisure either....:mrgreen:

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Mad Swapper

I have quite a few stamping friends who spend their money on stamps and not on internet.
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
I have quite a few stamping friends who spend their money on stamps and not on internet.
There's always the library...

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Mad Swapper

I was under the impression that the person you buy from is to keep a running total and when you have bought $150 they HAVE to give you a catalog per company policy. Have I been misinformed?
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

I was under the impression that the person you buy from is to keep a running total and when you have bought $150 they HAVE to give you a catalog per company policy. Have I been misinformed?
Yes, you have. Policy does not require a catalog to be given to anyone but hostesses.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Mad Swapper

Doesn't $150 in catalog sales make you a hostess? I have taken the catalog to work and people have bought that much. I make the whole order in my name and I get a free catalog. This is how I end up with several free catalogs a year in addition to 2 of my demos who automatically give me one every July 1.
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Doesn't $150 in catalog sales make you a hostess? I have taken the catalog to work and people have bought that much. I make the whole order in my name and I get a free catalog. This is how I end up with several free catalogs a year in addition to 2 of my demos who automatically give me one every July 1.
Not necessarily...a hostess provides benefit to the demonstrator by introducing her to other people who will also become customers.

Of course, some demonstrators will give a catalog to customers who consistently purchase from them...I certainly do. But it isn't "policy". It's a matter of personal choice. That's why we are "Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrators" and we run our business as we can afford it. Some folks can't afford to give away catalogs because they don't make enough money to do so...

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Just need to add that what you have described is being a hostess...a hostess of a catalog party.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

[QUOTE=JanTInk]Hmmm...maybe if I let my customers taste some wine, then I could sell more stamps? :mrgreen:

Now there's an idea!

I booked a workshop at the very first worksop I attended. As a result, I got my first catalog free. I continued to book several workshops each year, so I always got a free catalog at my first one of the year. I knew that SU charged for catalogs, but it really never occurred to me that my free catalog was coming out of her pocket. In fact, at my second workshop of the year, I told her I didn't really need a second catalog, and could I get something else instead? I wasn't being rude or trying to take away from her profit. I just really didn't understand how the whole SU thing worked. It also never occurred to me that the minis cost her money. They were coming in the mail directly from SU, so it just never occurred to me. I think that if the whole thing had been explained, I never would have asked for free stuff. However, I'm sure it's not the best business move to go into all that, and take time away from the workshop.
Anyway, I've been with my demonstrator for quite a few years now. Last year, my sister got into it big time, placed several large orders, and my demo just went ahead and gave her a free catalog as well. This year, she told us that catalogs were $5.00 if pre-ordered. My demo is moving, and I knew it would be a long time before I could book a workshop, so my sister and I just went ahead and pre-ordered. She asked us to pick them up to save shipping, and I understood that. I'm glad I have it so I can be picking out what I want at my next workshop, while I'm waiting for her to settle in to her new home.
I have to say that my demo always gives me a nice hostess gift when I have a workshop (last time almost $1000 in sales).
Bottom line - I realize now that I really don't mind paying $5.00 for it. To me, $10.00 is a little steep, but if I pre-order, I don't have to worry about that. I can also see how demos can't afford to give away catalogs for free. Now that I have read the back of the catalog and read a lot of stuff here, I am a much more informed customer (who spends a lot of money). In fact, it may be time for me to sign up as a hobby demo!
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Just curious what you do with all those catalogs?

Usually if my hostess already has one, I give her something else: either a stamp set (I always have extra SAB and hostess sets) or a free ink pad or whatever.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Every demo handles this differently. I haven't read this whole thread, but the important point IMHO is that demos do not work for SU, although we are bound by certain contractual requirements. Demos run their businesses as independent contractors very differently. Some have huge businesses (the Microsofts of SU!!) and can afford awesome benefits to their customers. Others are struggling, but offer great classes. Others just take orders and don't offer anything or any classes. It totally differs. When I was a customer, I paid full price for my catalogs all the time.
If a customer orders $150 in one order, I will give that customer a catalog if she wants one.
Rubber Obsessor

My upline will automatically give hostess benefits to you if you plan to spend a minimum of $150. That is a show on her books and she is maintaining bookings and revenue needed for her demo incentives. Also, she will either give a book if you are a member of a 3 or 6 month club, or if you book a show. If you automatically spend $150 then she gives you a book.

I think that it is a personal choice for demos as to how they distribute/sell catalogues. If you are a hobby demo then it is not in your best interest to be giving away a catalogue to anyone who wants one. If they truly are customers or friends and respect them as a business woman and not a doormat (JMHO) then you should support them as a business woman and buy the catalogue to not only support them, but to show that you value what they do, what the company does, and to continue to support the growth and creativity in the company.

It all just depends on how you look at it, but that is my humble opinion. ;)

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mommy2many/

SU Demonstrator (signed 7/9, Mr. Brown arrived on 7/24!)
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
Just curious what you do with all those catalogs?

Usually if my hostess already has one, I give her something else: either a stamp set (I always have extra SAB and hostess sets) or a free ink pad or whatever.
I always keep one spare. I am already onto that spare one thanks to someone spilling a drink in my bag at a picnic last week and ruining my first one!

My sis and my co-worker get one from me. Then I sell any others, if I have any at yard sales. I got 6 catalogs last year and so did my friend in the same stamp club.
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Then I sell any others, if I have any at yard sales. I got 6 catalogs last year and so did my friend in the same stamp club.
Just out of interest ... how much do the catalogues bring at a yard sale?
Mad Swapper

The Stampin' Up! Idea and Book is much more than just a catalog. It contains lots of ideas, samples of boxes, bags, cards and scrapbook. All the information for these samples can be found in the back of the book. These are great sources of inspiration, similar to the craft magazines that are sold for major dollars. I am a demo and do give these books to my hostesses and club members. Some I sell to help defray the cost of the catalogs, the minis and other mailings to customers. I never charge for the mini, which is also full of great ideas. However, I do have to pay for them and in addition, it cost $ .60 each to mail out. I also have extra to give to people that attend workshops whether they order or not. Before I became a demo, I did not hesitate to buy the SU! Idea Book and Catalog. I love it!
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

If somebody at your work is ordering the $150, wouldn't the catalog go to THEM since they placed the qualifying order?
If I have a person who has a friend who makes a $150 (usually $100 or more) order I would give a catalog to the person placing the order, not the one who introduced me.
If somebody buys a catty from me and then hostesses a party she would get the equivalent cash from me in their order if they did not want duplicate catalogs.