Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberDawnView Post
Because I love it! It's not extremely popular among my age group, but I do it anyways...I can't imagine a day w/out it!
I agree with Amberdawn- it is not really "popular" with my age group either. Most of my friends think it's too time-consuming and boring, I guess.

Personally, I love stamping because it relaxes me. It forces me to think about something else besides my obvious headaches (Why is my son not eating today? When will they call me about that job? Why is my husband acting like that?) hehe

Great question to throw out there! I mean, it is the reason we are all here on splitcoast- Why do we stamp???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

I stamp because I can't help but create something beautiful from a pile of stuff! I discovered that, with prompting from other stamper's efforts, I can risk trying new things,learning and growing developing my own style. But, on top of all of this, is the desire to lift up another person with a smile from a card. That is true therapy; to make someone else happy. It is a God given talent, without guilt for me in the investment of supplies. In discovering my talents I see more of Him and His creativity. I am copying Him. Now that is joy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #43  
Mad Swapper

I started out taking scrapbooking classes at an LSS a few years ago. Then they had to go and offer a stamping/card making class. I was hooked that first night! Before that class, I just couldn't understand why anyone would want to stamp - what was the point?? The scrapbooking has fallen on the wayside (although I am trying to get back to it). I have tried other crafts, and other than counted cross-stitch, stamping is the only one to really hold my interest!
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #44  
Glitter Queen

I agree. Expanding on my creativity is a way to be closer to God, the Creator of everything. I am working on a scrapbook/journal lately. In it I quote my favorite scriptures, hymns, and other songs. The beautiful paper, inks, stamps, and embellishments give glory to Him.
One time I told a friend that is takes a mess to make something beautiful. She reminds me of that now when I get too stressed about things. My messy life can feel neater when I have come up with something beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #45  
Forum Fanatic

I stamp b/c it's cheaper than therapy.

'Nuff said ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #46  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's definitely a tension release for me. Everything seems to unwind and calm down in my brain when I stamp. I have 4 kids (15, 12, 11, 3) and 3 part time jobs so it's a vacation for my brain :o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

That is awesome what you said "Rtruebeliever" about being closer to God, through what you make. We are made in His image, little creators. Good or bad what we do is creative. I am amazed at what designs people come up with that are just outstanding! Like Basic Grey paper it's gorgeous! So, I just let the praise land on the giver, and I just laugh with Him at how cool He really is to pass all these abilities out to so many people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #48  
Gabfest Goddess

I grew up with a very creative mom (thanks!) who made our all of our clothes when we were little and taught all the girls how to sew, crochet and embroider. I still love making crafty things, curtains, placemats, napkins, etc. I have tried all the trendy crafts- macrame, ceramics, jewelry-making and was deeply hooked on counted cross-stitch for many years.

Then my job and life became so stressful that I needed an outlet that would totally take me away...........and my sweet, dear friend introduced me to stamping three years ago and I am totally obsessed. Now that I am retired I can devote most of my time to creating little mini works of art (to me anyway). Then, along came SCS and now I have a whole world helping me with my art!!!

As Martha says, "It's a good thing."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #49  
Mad Swapper

All of the reasons I stamp have already been mentioned, but I do want to say that it is so wonderful to have a forum like this that helps me see that I am not alone in my therapeutic addiction. Although I have always been a crafty type of person, but as my 'me time' has become more and more limited, stamping is my 'go to' hobby since it takes such a little amount of time to complete a card. It's great to be able to create for people who do appreciate my talent, but don't necessarily understand my 'addiction.'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had been an on-again-off-again scrapbooker for 5 years, and after my daughter left home, I found that I really needed a hobby. Funny how when you have kids in your home for so many years, and wake up one day to find they have flown from the nest, how much time you have...lol

Once I moved from Scrapbooking to stamping, I haven't stopped and I find it terribly relaxing to just zone out in my craft space, listen to music and stamp. Some might say that I have crossed that line between hobby and insanity, but what's the harm? :mrgreen:

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

When my sisters went off to college I started spending money on stationery. Then I bought some handmade cards that I found on ebay and my husband convinced me that I could make my own cards. I've found I really enjoy stamping and making cards. It's become such a release of any tension I may be having. As AmberDawn said, its not really popular with my age group, but I thoroughly enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #52  
Kookie Creator

After long hours of managing a law firm, I needed some quiet, stress-free, alone time. Also, it was a great excuse to get away from my (at the time) 16-year-old. I got hooked on stampin' 3 years ago and haven't stopped since. Can you ever have too much stampin' stuff? Luckily, DH doesn't mind the expense and now his family looks forward to their original (and oftentimes funny) cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

For my SANITY!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzienutmegView Post
It's definitely a tension release for me. Everything seems to unwind and calm down in my brain when I stamp. I have 4 kids (15, 12, 11, 3) and 3 part time jobs so it's a vacation for my brain :o)
You're my hero!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Why stamp?

Honestly I started out stamping (and still do) for the fellowship.
I'm not very good at girl relationships - so I joined my original stamp camp group at church to get to know some different women in the group that I really admired.
I'm not creative - so even the process of designing a card (deciding what colors go together is even a struggle for me).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #56  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts
Wink Why do you stamp?

Because I can----nuff said. :rolleyes:

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #57  
Cardstock Collector

I have ALWAYS loved paper, pens, pencils--school supplies in September always gave me a kick. Anybody else out there love the smell of a freshly sharpened wooden pencil? I have ALWAYS loved to color! (When my daughter was little we would get matching coloring books and color together.) I have ALWAYS loved to write letters and send cards. In fact, I still keep in touch with pen pals I met when I was a kid over 30 years ago! Stamping allows me to do all of these things in one relaxing, fun hobby! When I send cards I am reminded to pray for the person to whom I am sending it, too. Now I've been stamping for nearly 8 years and love it more every day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #58  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Starting off as a scrapbooker---I NEVER understood why someone would WANT to make cards (I mean, they are just going to get looked at and thrown away, right?)...but after my first SU workshop---I was hooked. I LOVED the little blank canvas that was before me and thought..."I can do this" and it won't even take a lot of time or money.

(*chuckling.....thousands of dollars and hours later!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #59  
Gallery Gazer

I just plain LOVE stamping, creating, drooling over stamps and TOOLS and all the bling....................out and out fun. I also love that I can be a part of SCS, which is just the best site with tons of inspiration and awesome people. Aside from all that I am just plain ADDICTED!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

I found that stamping was my way to sort out my thoughts- I let anger, stress and all outside annoyances dissolve when I'm playing with my stamps. I've been doing this for almost seven years now and I'll tell you this-- if it werent for my stamps I may have gone crazy after my father passed and my mom announced a little over a year she was moving in with someone in another state- across the country. LOL My youngest dd loves to pick the cardstock colors and the stamp set and then sits back to wait and see what I come up with. It's just more relaxing than those old smut books and I can watch looney toons while I do it. lol =)

I have the coolest sister in the world, navybrat75!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #61  
Cardstock Collector

A bunch of my friends were into it, so I jumped off the bridge and started too. It started with a few things to help make stuff for my sons (3 of them - 8, 6, 2 1/2 isn't that reason enough to need a hobby?). In 2006 I was diagnosed with Melanoma Cancer and I found that having little projects to make, scrapbooking to do, kept me sane through a year of chemo. Now I'm a demonstrator with a regular monthly club and am Loving every bit of it!

Deanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #62  
Stampin' Fool

I've always been creative... For about 15 years I was a tole painter... I love the creative outlet. About 2 years ago my niece invited me to a Stampin Up party - I went and I ordered because I love her - the stuff then stayed in my craft room drawer for 6 months. Then I was invited to monthly Christmas Card making party for 4 months... The classes hooked me! I am a stampin/class junky... Social and creative all at the same time - now if I could stamp and drink - that would be a party!

I believe a 1/3 of this hobby is creating, 1/3 organizing and 1/3 shopping... So two of my favorite things together Creating and shopping - and shopping for stamping stuff is the best!!!

Life is not about weathering the storm - It's about dancing in the rain!

My blog: www.kattoys.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 186 Likes on 154 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by afancycatView Post
It's cheaper than therapy and just as effective!!!
Julie, I used to tell my husband this and he always said, "Yea, well we get reimbursed from our insurance for your doctor visits, I don't get the same thing from your stamping hobby!" LOL I tried.........
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

I fell in love with stamps nearly twenty years ago, and still have all my originals. I always thought the stamps themselves were beautiful, and I could never draw that well. So, I fall in love with a stamp for its beauty, and then I have to use it to justify the purchase! :mrgreen: It's affordable, usable, sharable art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #65  
Glitter Queen

I was skeptical when I was invited to my first SU demonstration. But then I went and was HOOKED!! 3 1/2 years later I've found that it's a huge stress reliever for me, and I feel as though I'm actually saving money because of how expensive cards in the store have gotten! I like being creative, too, and this helps me fulfill that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #66  
Crimping Master

Aren't we suppose too? I scrapbook, therefore I should stamp too. Right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

Why do I stamp?

Because I love colour. And I'm too lazy to paint!!

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #68  
SCS RAK Coordinator Alumna

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I first started stamping because:

1) I can't draw to save my life-seriously
2) Paper seemed so darn naked w/o something on it
3) It's a creative outlet that keeps my therapy bill down ;-).

:-). Karan

BRAK Volunteer The Birthday RAK is always accepting new members- check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #69  
Gallery Gazer

Stamping (and scrapbooking) are the only things that

1. "calm" me
2. give me a sense of accomplishment
3. allow me to give back to others creatively
4. because I need to obsess over something, why not let it be fun? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #70  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

OMGoodness, stamping has been a great therapy for me. When times are good, I love to stamp. When times are tough, it takes my mind off of stuff I might otherwise obsess over. More than anything though, it has brought me some of the greatest friends and lasting friendships I've ever had in my life.
My blog: http://www.amazingpapergrace.com
Licensed Designer: Spellbinders Paper Arts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #71  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I confess that about 15 years ago, I walked into a stamping store, and I thought - gee , if I made my own cards - that would sure save money. People seemed to like the cards,and so it became a little hobby. About 5 years ago I introduced a couple of my very artistic and crafty friends to cardmaking. Somehow between the three of us - we just got hooked - and perhaps me the most of all. We usually get together to stamp every Friday afternoon.

I find it can be very calming - once I get making a card I get so into it - that I forget about all of the other things happening in my life. Theraputic, yes!!!

And - when I look at cards in the store now - I think - mine are so much nicer!! ( Well- the others are just massed produced even a plain jane one is $5.00 or so. ) So - I find it a creative outlet and a stress reducer...( unless I get behind in making cards for my rather LARGE family and group of friends. I can't honestly say it saves money - kind of the opposite - sigh!

And I so love to recieve a precious handmade card from others..perhaps the hobby has made me prejudiced towards handmade cards??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 04:35 AM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

I stamp, therefore I am?

Heh. Interesting question. I stamp because I love to play with paper and bits of this and that and create something. I can lose myself in that little 4x4 square for a while. It is so fun. It is like a puzzle.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

Just like some others, I wondered why in the heck anybody would stamp, it sounded so silly! Then a girlfriend invited me to a SU! party and even then I thought it was just ok. But then I saw the catalog. . . Being a natural shopper, I couldn't resist. I got hooked and decided to make my Christmas cards. Then I decided to send birthday cards to everybody I knew. I can't stop! I love it! The creative possibilities are endless and my kids let me work while they play! Best of all, I saw somebody else say this before, I get to buy as much as I can hide from my husband!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

Eat, Sleep, Stamp. - not necessarily in that order...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a lot like you, I have always loved stamps! I like to stamp because I'm not a great drawer or painter and this is another way for me to use creativity.
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #76  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another reason not mentioned above - as a stay-at-home mom, there is a lot of repetition in my day. At the end of the day, who can really tell that you washed all the bedding and towels? Meals that are prepared are quickly forgotten, cleaning can be undone in under 10 minutes, but creating a stamped card lasts! I love creating something beautiful and sharing it with others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #77  
Die Cut Diva

This is a great question!! I go through a bunch of different stages....one minute I love this hobby and know why I do it....then the next minute I look at all the STUFF I have made sitting around my room and wonder "Why am I doing this??"

Generally I love this hobby because I love to create, I love seeing what my end product will be, I love color, and finally and probably most important, it is a great stress release for me!!

I guess if I could just figure out what to do with all the stuff I make, I'd be even happier!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #78  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like to make stuff.
I like working with my hands.
I like rubber stamps.
I like to make things quickly/easily.
I like to give away the things I make.

So, basically, I stamp because: I like to give away the stuff I make quickly and easily by working with rubber stamps in my hands. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been creatin' all my life ... one thing or another ... I NEED to be creative every day or I get a little crazy ... more like restless, but I'm sure you ALL know what I mean!

I really began my love affair with stamps as a mixed-media collage artist; stamped images add so much depth and interest to collages that it was a match made in heaven for me! Now, I can't imagine a day without stamping ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Stamping for me is like having a never ending coloring book. I even love stamping something and coloring it in.....not doing anything with it....just had fun coloring I stamp and color and play WAY MORE than make something out of it. Does that make sense? I'm one of those people that likes to do anything craft related. I always tell myself I'm NOT going to get into anything new...then something happens and I crumble! LOL Like I said I would never buy stamps that had images that had to be colored in....but now they are my favorite kind.
My SCS Gallery

Last edited by versamom; 02-26-2008 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes