Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is the gallery so lonely?

So...I've been on SCS for almost two years now and I've noticed in that time that cards just don't get the comments like they used to in the gallery. Why is that? :confused:

I know I used to click on the latest comments link that was once on the front page to see what everyone else was talking about. I miss that. But there's the Today's Additions link. Are people just not using it? Or not looking anymore? Or too busy to care?! ::sniff:: :( Or are there actually too many cards to comment on now? :eek:

What are your thoughts? And are YOU guilty of not bestowing kind comments?! :p

my blog | the hybrid chick
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was just in the today's addtions section of the gallery and when I posted a comment, it took forever for it to get back to the page. Some days it just takes to long to post comments, so I just browse through the gallery. I love it when all is working smoothly and I can leave some comments.

Finally....a blog of my own!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by icensheba
Some days it just takes to long to post comments, so I just browse through the gallery.
I've had the same thing happen to me, but I thought it was just my connection. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 10:55 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking for myself...I try to look at some of the daily gallery additions at least once during the day. If I have time I make comments on cards I think are outstanding...but I'm totally sure that I miss pages and pages of cards because I don't get through all of them each day. The SCS artists are a very busy busy group. I'd be totally overwhelmed if I tried to keep up with every addition though. Try as I might, I could never comment on every card...even to do 10-12 seems noble. It might be nice to take notice of those cards that have no comments and make a special effort to ensure that every card has at least 1-2 comments, I think if we all worked together on that (there are thousands of us)...it would be very lovely! Everyone likes to feel that their artwork is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 11:43 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL! Oh, I'm not thinking that everyone should comment on every card! Whoa... ;) It just seems to me that overall comments are down. But maybe posted cards are up and I just can't see that difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by basurok
It might be nice to take notice of those cards that have no comments and make a special effort to ensure that every card has at least 1-2 comments, I think if we all worked together on that (there are thousands of us)...it would be very lovely! Everyone likes to feel that their artwork is appreciated.
I agree! And that's why I posted a comment about this. That was bothering me. I keep seeing these lovely cards that have only one or two comments and I wonder why? So I try to leave an extra one myself. I wonder if taking part in challenges now is the only way to get comments on your cards... :rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #6  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the gallery earlier too. I posted a couple of comments, and it took forever. I thought the server was locked up or something. They did eventually post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by webseitler
So...I've been on SCS for almost two years now and I've noticed in that time that cards just don't get the comments like they used to in the gallery. Why is that? :confused:

I know I used to click on the latest comments link that was once on the front page to see what everyone else was talking about. I miss that. But there's the Today's Additions link. Are people just not using it? Or not looking anymore? Or too busy to care?! ::sniff:: :( Or are there actually too many cards to comment on now? :eek:

The site has been so SLOWWWWWW lately that I often times give up on even looking at the new uploads -- forget about trying to comment, it gets "stuck" in the transmit mode and dies a painful cyber death. I guess fellow stampers will have to confident that we appreciate their beautiful creations even if we aren't able to tell them so!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I too, find that it is sloooowww when waiting for my comments to post on some days. On these days I just "window shop" for additions to my faves. But if it is going speedy, I fire off my praise as much as possible! I have a few cards in my gallery that I know are awesome, yet no one or very few have commented on them. I just figure it's due to 1-slow comment posting day or 2- if it's not in a challenge, sometimes it just gets overlooked! I never take it personally, and hope no one else does either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 11:55 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

LOL! Oh, I'm not thinking that everyone should comment on every card! Whoa... ;) It just seems to me that overall comments are down. But maybe posted cards are up and I just can't see that difference.

I agree! And that's why I posted a comment about this. That was bothering me. I keep seeing these lovely cards that have only one or two comments and I wonder why? So I try to leave an extra one myself. I wonder if taking part in challenges now is the only way to get comments on your cards... :rolleyes:
I agree that there are times the site is slow. You try to leave a comment and it takes Forevah! Then again I have also wondereed what you mentioned. If you particate EARLY in a challenge then you get more comments. :rolleyes: I don't get it.

angelina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I didn't mean to start a thread of negativity about SCS. Like I said, I thought the slowness was on my end. ;) I just wondered why there seems to be a trend in low comments these days.

Looks like SCS needs a few more Dirty subscriptions... :-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile

Quote:

..........It just seems to me that overall comments are down. But maybe posted cards are up ...........
You are definitely right on that point. I have only been a member since May of last year and I've noticed that the membership numbers seem to be doubling regularly and so do the gallery uploads.

By the way... Here is a cool quote that I read this morn in Guideposts magazine.
"Compliments are the helium that fills everyone's balloon: they elevate the person receiving them so he or she can fly over life's troubles and land safely on the other side." ---Bernie Siegel M.D. from 101 Exercises for the Soul
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Last May? And you are already a Die Cut Diva? ;) You must spread a lot of compliments around. :-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #13  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

I try to comment regularly, however, it has been SO slow, that I have been barely getting a page to load. They are working on the problem.

On another note though, like you said- the comments used to be more-
Well, after doubling our numbers, and that many more people using the gallery, it bogs it down with more cards to look at which probably tales much longer to comment on all of them now!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmama
Well, after doubling our numbers, and that many more people using the gallery, it bogs it down with more cards to look at which probably tales much longer to comment on all of them now!
But wait--more people should equal not only more cards, but more people to comment! So maybe it's not that there are more cards...but less comment-y people?

Must be that none of you have Firefox (http://www.getfirefox.com/). I let my comments take their time loading in another tab while I do something else... Much less annoying that way...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I post pretty often on other peoples cards, in the hopes that people will see mine and also comment. If I click on the link to see the full card, I always leave a comment. Lately my connection has been very slow to SCS, sometimes I have to hit refresh to get it to allow me to post anything. Weird, but I always use the Today's Addition links to see new cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I try to leave a comment on most of the cards I look at. Sometimes, it's just not possible. I have wondered what is going on also. I'm not saying everyone should leave a comment on every single card, but sometimes when you have several views (in my case, one card has 560 views) and only a few comments, that doesn't quite make sense to me. I just keep uploading though so it must not be bothering me too much.

Garnet, I love this quote by the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
By the way... Here is a cool quote that I read this morn in Guideposts magazine.
"Compliments are the helium that fills everyone's balloon: they elevate the person receiving them so he or she can fly over life's troubles and land safely on the other side." ---Bernie Siegel M.D. from 101 Exercises for the Soul
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3
I post pretty often on other peoples cards, in the hopes that people will see mine and also comment.
Hmm. I don't think I've ever clicked on the user info of someone who's left me a comment to see their gallery...must be I just want all the praise for myself. ;) I should be less self-centered, I think! :o

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Besides looking for specific card ideas and today's posts, I also click on thread links to view galleries. Nicole, yours isn't workin' for me.

I do most of my browsing early a.m. EST and can tell you that it's still painfully slow at that time of day with a high speed connection. Yup, the site needs more supporters.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm with you on the speed thing. If I can I try and comment on a couple of cards before I head off to work in the morning. I'll comment on anything that catches my eye. I tried a few minutes ago to leave a few comments and it was close to impossible. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a modem connection and it takes forever...and half the time it times out on me completely if I try to leave comments. I was up at 1a.m. the other "night" and found it to work pretty well when noone else was on! LOL! But I don't plan on staying up till 1a.m. every night to leave comments!

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

This question, or similar, comes up in General Stamping about every 3 to 4 weeks! LOL!

I look at Today's Latest Additions almost every day. I comment on at least 10 a day. I'm afraid I don't LOOK for cards with few comments. I don't have time with that many cards. I look for cards that either use sets that I have or really POP out to me and make me say WOW!

Hint on commenting in a slow gallery: If it seems to be taking too long to reload, CLICK on reload and 9 times out of 10, your comment is already there.

I've been here a year this week, and I'm almost a Stazon Splitcoast!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been trying to leave comments on cards I click on. I also go to today's additions and click on number 10 or 14 and comment on cards that have no comments. They are often beautiful cards and they sometimes were uploaded at a time of day not many people are on line. I also sometimes go to a ramdom stamp set gallery and comment there. I take a lot of pleasure in enjoying the creative work of others. Each card here took thought , planning, and follow through. Most of us seem to be female and our world can be full of roles and activities that never end or are never finished. It is so affirming to take the time and finish something. We all should applaud this creative nature in all of us . What is so S-L-O-W to us this minute would have been lighting fast to the last generation. Where could they have shared all this talent from coast to coast in such a short time. Keep on posting those comment and enjoying the connection we have through this art form we love. SCS is a wonderful place of celebration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I look at the new additions at least once a day, and try to comment on everything I click on. There are just soooo many lovely cards....!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #24  
The Digi-Freak

I still comment!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Not to hijack but the best way to get around the slow gallery is to view it using Mozilla Firefox. I learned about it from someone here on SCS and I know Daven has recommended it on a thread awhile back. I think they should do a Wed. tutorial on how to download it and use it. I can't describe it real well but it basically allows you to click on a card and it will pop up in a separate window. So you don't have to go into a card, wait for it to load, and then wait for it to post your comment. I can go to a gallery page and click on 10 different cards - each card will come up on its own page. So I have 10 cards working on loading all at once. Much quicker. I can post on a lot more cards this way. WHile things are waiting to load or post I can move on to more cards. I am not sure how many windows you can have at once, but when the weekly favorites threads is going on Sunday I will have 20 or 30 cards in progress of loading or posting at a time. Try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 05:28 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
I still comment!

I've noticed! I wanted to say that I appreciate all the nice things you say!

I don't have Firefox, but I try to do most of my commenting after about 10 p.m., the gallery is a little faster then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Must be that none of you have Firefox (http://www.getfirefox.com/). I let my comments take their time loading in another tab while I do something else... Much less annoying that way...
I do this too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70
Hint on commenting in a slow gallery: If it seems to be taking too long to reload, CLICK on reload and 9 times out of 10, your comment is already there.
This is true. I usually allow my screen to load at least three "bars" (on the bottom of internet explorer) then I hit the back button to go back to the main gallery. Whenever I've checked, my comment is always there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

This thread has motivated me to go and post some more comments. Thanks.

I too love the quote, ""Compliments are the helium that fills everyone's balloon: they elevate the person receiving them so he or she can fly over life's troubles and land safely on the other side." ---Bernie Siegel M.D. from 101 Exercises for the Soul"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 06:20 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I know! But there's been all kinds of connection problems and every time I try to leave a comment I get a message saying Website not responding or something like that.

I have not been able to stay long because I keep getting the error message. I know they are working on the problems so I am just patiently waiting to start making comments again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Hate to brag but my MacIntosh connected via Comcast doesn't seem to be slow very often. If my comments don't seem to go immediately, I just open a couple more windows with more cards and keep on posting.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 10:03 PM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStamp
Not to hijack but the best way to get around the slow gallery is to view it using Mozilla Firefox. I learned about it from someone here on SCS and I know Daven has recommended it on a thread awhile back.
I am glad to hear this! I remember reading a post (from mamakimberly?) a loonnngg time back about how loading many cards in tabs while browsing the gallery was hard on the server, but I either read wrong or things have changed since then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I always have 2-3 windows open when I'm here. I hope that isn't adding to the problem.
I try to leave a comment on every card I look at. OK, 95% of them. Some days I visit and only look at cards. Other days I never make it to the gallery. But, I enjoy leaving comments for people and figure we all like a little validation now and then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 03:30 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Something I learned from Roxie is that if you post a comment, after about 3 seconds hit your refresh button, and it will most likely be there. This has helped me leave many more comments than when I used to wait for the bar to process it.

I also will grab the laptop and make comments while DH and I are watching TV, it is easy to do and since I am just sitting on my behind anyways I may as well try to brighten someones day.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 03:53 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I may not be doing this correctly, but I use Firefox, right click on the card. Then I can type in a comment, click submit, go back to "add to favorites" (if I want to), then close the window right away. I don't wait for the card to show up again, and I ignore the message that tells me to "click here" if it is all taking too long. This all goes fairly quickly.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 04:16 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

I like to comment- when I have time to look I figure I have time to comment..some cards jump out at me, and I try to comment on some with few or no comments...I also want to say, that if you have time to upload the card, take the time to fill in the information on the stamp set, paper, ink, technique etc. as best you can..I REALLY appreciate it when you share that information so I can learn...and am much more likely to leave a comment for you if you have taken the time to share that information with me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 04:18 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStamp
Not to hijack but the best way to get around the slow gallery is to view it using Mozilla Firefox. I learned about it from someone here on SCS and I know Daven has recommended it on a thread awhile back. I think they should do a Wed. tutorial on how to download it and use it. I can't describe it real well but it basically allows you to click on a card and it will pop up in a separate window. So you don't have to go into a card, wait for it to load, and then wait for it to post your comment. I can go to a gallery page and click on 10 different cards - each card will come up on its own page. So I have 10 cards working on loading all at once. Much quicker. I can post on a lot more cards this way. WHile things are waiting to load or post I can move on to more cards. I am not sure how many windows you can have at once, but when the weekly favorites threads is going on Sunday I will have 20 or 30 cards in progress of loading or posting at a time. Try it!
Yes, this might work for you, but I'm guessing this is what slows the site down for everyone else! 20 or 30 windows open?? All that does is tax the servers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 12:29 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
Yes, this might work for you, but I'm guessing this is what slows the site down for everyone else! 20 or 30 windows open?? All that does is tax the servers...
Good question. But then again, Daven is recommending it, so maybe that's not the case? Not sure.

Either way, Firefox is great! My husband kept telling me that and I kept on not using it. Now I'm so addicted to clicking on my middle scroll button to open in a new tab--I could never go back! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

I don't know if having multiple windows opens taxes the server or not. Maybe Daven can answer that. If it does then I would not do it. But part of the attraction of Firefox is so that you can have multiple windoes at once. Once I am done looking or commenting I close the window. You don't have to wait to go back in forth between gallery and card. It just provides a quick way to comment and look at the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Last May? And you are already a Die Cut Diva? ;) You must spread a lot of compliments around. :-D
Is there a list somewhere of what title you earn with so many comments? I always wondered how that worked.

Sue's gallery
www.stampinwithsue.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes