Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it so difficult for me to find a SU! Demo?

I am very new to stamping. I have money in my pocket just waiting to be spent on stamps. I have contacted at least 5 reps via email. 2 never even responded. I just want to be able to find somebody local so that I can take classes and learn techniques.

Two of the Demo's have classes, but only about 4 per month, all of which I can't attend. One lady was super, super nice. I went to her house and we did a make and take. She showed me the products. I really, really liked her. But I've emailed her twice about a class and then about placing an order. No reply.

I know there are tons of reps here. Is having only several classes a month normal? And if a new customer came to you looking to buy since she is new, wouldn't you at least keep in contact with her? :confused: What should I do?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm so sorry you've had a tough time. I'm not sure why those demos won't follow up with you?

What state do you live in? We have a lot of great demos here; we can find you several to choose from
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Sorry that's happening to you! I had a customer contact me through the demo locater recently, and she was having the same problem. I was the fifth demo she contacted, and the only one who responded!

As far as the classes things go, 4 classes a month is once a week - that's a lot more then what most demos do! Maybe you can find out what is on their schedules next month, and then set aside those days.

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

Did you email recently? Maybe your demo was at Convention? Or maybe there is a phone number listed on her site? I personally contact my new potential customers right away and I'm sure most everyone else would do the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Sorry you are having such trouble! I had a lady contact me and 4 other demos, and I was the only one who responded. Four classes a month actually sounds like a lot. I hope you find someone to help you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Wow! I am shocked that you are having such a hard time finding someone who will provide you with what you need! There are so many awesome demos out there. I know I check my mail on the demo site several times a day (even though I NEVER have any mail). I would love for someone to find me on the demo locator. As PolarBear mentioned, there are so many great demonstrators on this site. I am sure one of them would be happy to have you as a customer and provide you with the customer service you deserve. Did you find these demos through the demo locator? I am so sorry you are having such a hard time.

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Most demos do NOT have several classes/month. My upline aka "Super Demo" has four a month ... 2 card classes and 2 scrapbooking classes. But like I said ... she's "Super Demo". Most regular demos have one maybe two. Some demos only do in home demonstrations and no classes.

I'm sorry nobody has been in touch - that's a big bummer! I can only offer possibilities ... convention is one and vacation is the other. It's altogether possible people are doing one or the other. I hope you find a great demo soon! There are many here on SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Just chiming in that I'm sorry you have not had any responses. Aug is such a busy month for everyone, demos have just returned from convention, and may be making up family time (that's what I am doing, trying to keep he peace with hubby :rolleyes: ). Could you call rather than email? I know I got miffed at someone for not responding to me, and it turned out that my phone was being wonky-- and I didn't know until my neighbor called on the cell phone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Hmmm, I wonder if you live near me...

I have never posted on this site before (serious lurker), but was going to make my first post asking the very same question. I'm sorry you are in the same situation and beat me to it!

My demo quit the business a couple of months ago (I miss her!). Since then I have emailed 3 demos in my area (one twice) & plugged my name into the "contact me" section on the SU website (twice). Nothing.

I too have money to spend, would love a new catalog & the opportunity to place some orders. Not sure why this is so hard...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

I know what you guys mean. I manage to FIND them, but I can't find anyone that is serious about wanting to keep me as a REAL customer. Seems like they want one order and then that's it. It's really weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

It's summer - perhaps they are on vacation?
4 classes per month sounds like a lot to me too. Perhaps you would be better served to have two demos that you shop from and learn from.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

If any of you live near Ft. Worth, TX, my sister is a wonderful demo or near McKinney, TX, my SIL is also a wonderful demo. Neither has more than one class per month but they would be happy to show you whatever you wanted to know.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I recently just found a new one, from this site actually. Mention where you live and someone that lives near you just might send you a pm.

My old Demo was too hard to get ahold of, I'd leave messages and email her. It's like she didn't care one way or the other about her customers. Then I tried the SU website. The one woman I did leave a message for on that site got back with me weeks later saying SU was late getting her the message (?) I don't know if that's the way they work or not. But I was trying to find someone in a hurry, before the retired list went *poof*. I'm happy with mine now.

Good luck,
Darcy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest that you call her. I know my email sometimes doesn't get through or somehow escapes me. It sounds like she wants your business, maybe she just hasn't received your messages.

Remember it's summer, she may be on vacation or like someone else posted, perhaps she was at convention.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by owtnumbirdView Post
Hmmm, I wonder if you live near me...

xxx
xxx

I too have money to spend, would love a new catalog & the opportunity to place some orders. Not sure why this is so hard...
Hello owtnumbird... Try posting a message over in the OR/WA Stampapalooza thread. I think that some of the gals going to the big party in October might be demos. Or if you tell them where you are in the Seattle area, they will point you to the right person.

And maybe you will want to join the party too.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not on the demo locator by choice. But, sometimes even some SU emails go into my Spam filter. And, there is the vacation thing too. I actually had the same problem with one of the other stamp companies. Keep trying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I agree with the other ladies. 4 classes a month is a lot. I'm sorry they're all inconvenient for you. I only have 1 class a month right now, but I only have a few customers so I can't fill that many classes. I agree about letting us know where you live as there are some great demos on this site that might live near you, that might not be listed on the demo locater. Not all of us are.

I hope you find a demo soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 04:45 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

If ya'll just need to place an order, there are plenty of demos here that can place the order for you until you can find one for classes..... And it doesn't cost you anymore than if you purchased from someone local.

I'm sorry to hear ya'll are having trouble getting replies from the demo locator too :( I will say that besides the vacation/convention issue, when you send a message via the demo locator, it sends a message to our demo site on SU. It shows up as a number that TINY and not in a central area, but over to the right above a bunch of other stuff. If you don't actually KNOW to look there, some demos have missed it.

Now for the ones that received an initial contact and then nothing, that's uncalled for :( I have had a contact from the locator and I contacted the lady, then added her to my e-mail list, so she receives all info I send out.

Have any of you thought about signing up? This is one of the reasons I signed up myself. I didn't like the service I was getting from my demo, so I found someone else (actually met her here on SCS - HI AMY!) and signed up. I must be doing better than she is because all her customers keep coming to me. Now I am NOT soliciting her customers, as that would be wrong. Many are finding me through other people who have started buying from me....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I had a very hard time finding a demo when I relocated to a new state and to be quite honest with you, I'm not all that impressed with the one I found. I contacted 4 or 5 demos both by phone and email and she was the only one who bothered to respond to me. And this was in October, so convention is not an excuse!

The demo I'm using is nice, but as someone else previously said, I don't get why these demos don't want to take my money! She has stamp camps about once a month, but only one of the 4 on her schedule interested me (I don't scrap and I wasn't even a little bit interested in stamping on clothing). When I RSVP'd for the card making one, I found out it was cancelled and to date, it hasn't been rescheduled. I got "perks" from my old demos (I had 3 people that I used where I used to live) - catty's at cost ($5), free stuff every once in a while, stamp camps, hostess clubs, etc. - I miss that!

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, other than to let the demos out there that there are people out here who are interested in doing business with you, if you'll just call us back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by canbenView Post
I'm sorry to hear ya'll are having trouble getting replies from the demo locator too :( I will say that besides the vacation/convention issue, when you send a message via the demo locator, it sends a message to our demo site on SU. It shows up as a number that TINY and not in a central area, but over to the right above a bunch of other stuff. If you don't actually KNOW to look there, some demos have missed it.
Oh wow-- I'm not joking, I didn't know this! I run three clubs and one class, consider myself a business demo, and have a website, and I am constantly trying to attract new clients. Guess I missed that. I sure hope I haven't ignored anyone! Off to check the SU site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 05:26 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Maybe you could contact the demo by phone that holds 4 classes a month or the one that you went to her house and she spent time going over things with you. You could ask each of them and see if they would be willing to set up a class at a time you are available. If you had a few friends that were interested also, they might be willing to set up a class to fit your schedule.

I cannot imagine not contacting someone who found me through the demo locator! It is hard to find customers and I always go out of my way to see if I can set up something to fit their needs.

I had heard that some demos were having trouble with those contact e-mails (from the demo locator on the website) being delayed for several days and also trouble with their replies reaching the person when they responded to those e-mails. So maybe there is a technical glitch that keeping your e-mails or their responses to your contact from getting through. I would get on the phone and contact them that way. Then you will know for sure if the message gets through.

BTW, 4 classes a month is probably more than what the typical demo does. Were they all weeknight classes or all weekend ones that interfered with your work schedule or something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure you will get a lot of private messages offering to sell to you!! I'm guessing that you are looking for more than just the ability to purchase -- IMHO having a local demo who holds classes, etc. is really great. I purchase from an out of state demo for a variety of reasons, but a local one can provide hands on help if you need it and camaraderie.

Maybe YOU should become a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 05:44 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

You're not the only one I've heard this from. I'm a demo and I make it my #1 priority if someone contacts me. And 4 classes per month is a lot. I only do one per month and just started recently offering that same class on two different days at different times to help with scheduling. If you mention where you are located - demos tend to know demos in other states and areas and could personally find you one that would better suit you. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

It shouldn't be that difficult to find a good demo. Perhaps there's a glitch with the e-mail. The one demo seemed to service you very well with showing you things and having you do a make-n-take. Perhaps you could call her. It sounds like she would be happy to help you in your stamping needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:02 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a couple local demos....and two of the three are absolutely useless.

I contacted the one in early June regarding the retired list etc, still waiting to hear back from her and yes, I've ordered from her before...The second is just a hobby demo so when I order from her, unless it's a show order all by itself I wait forever for my stuff cause she likes to build it up, The third, I've only ordered from once and she was fantastic. Ordered it all the same day, called me the second the box arrived and offered to bring it down to me, BUT she doesn't hold classes or workshops. Just basically sells me product.

I too have been stymied about the lack of response from that demo locator. I think I'll stick to my US friend to send me stuff that I'm not in a hurry for. She's reliable and it costs me less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by inegoView Post
I have a couple local demos....and two of the three are absolutely useless.

I contacted the one in early June regarding the retired list etc, still waiting to hear back from her and yes, I've ordered from her before...The second is just a hobby demo so when I order from her, unless it's a show order all by itself I wait forever for my stuff cause she likes to build it up, The third, I've only ordered from once and she was fantastic. Ordered it all the same day, called me the second the box arrived and offered to bring it down to me, BUT she doesn't hold classes or workshops. Just basically sells me product.

I too have been stymied about the lack of response from that demo locator. I think I'll stick to my US friend to send me stuff that I'm not in a hurry for. She's reliable and it costs me less.
Just a note on this. US demos are not allowed to sell to Canadian customers. It is against our contract. This demo could lose her demoship.

For those who are unhappy, you should look into signing up! Then you can have classes yourself! I know personally, I don't have classes because I only have one or 2 customers who would be interested out of 8-10 customers. It's not worth it. Now I DO have open crop nights and if, while there, someone has a question about something, I'll show them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahsCreationsView Post
If any of you live near Ft. Worth, TX, my sister is a wonderful demo or near McKinney, TX, my SIL is also a wonderful demo. Neither has more than one class per month but they would be happy to show you whatever you wanted to know.
Yep, I'm in McKinney. PM me. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 AM   #28  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by canbenView Post
For those who are unhappy, you should look into signing up! Then you can have classes yourself! I know personally, I don't have classes because I only have one or 2 customers who would be interested out of 8-10 customers. It's not worth it. Now I DO have open crop nights and if, while there, someone has a question about something, I'll show them.
I have seriously thought about this, but I'm guessing I would also have a hard time finding an upline...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:29 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicholeCView Post
I have seriously thought about this, but I'm guessing I would also have a hard time finding an upline...
Sent you a PM!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I had a local demo that just wasn't the right fit for me. I wanted to switch and find someone new. I went to the demo site and only emailed demo's that had web sites that I could look at. I found this demo that is so amazing! She has classes all the time. Keeps me up to date on any specials that SU is having and any of her personal specials as well. If I email her, she get's back to me lightning fast. Don't get discuraged. There are so many good Demo's out there. You'll find the right one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #31  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Demos are not allowed to hold your order so they can "build up" a bigger sale of $150. If you have ordered something that is for yourself and you want it, she should place the order ASAP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree that holding 4 classes (I assume in addition to other events she does) is "a lot" compared to what the majority of regular demonstrators do. I would suggest emaiilng them to let them know what kind of classes and dates work for you.

I have around that many events per month - and adding anymore would only drop the attendance at those down, so I would still service the same number of ladies - customers can only attend so many things as well!

I have been a demonstrator for 12 years and generally I take it easier in the summer. There have been several weeks that I have been away this summer and this week is the last before school starts, so I am taking it "off" - I do try to answer emails - but when you are on the beach, it can be kinda hard! When I go on vacation - that means my whole staff (me, myself and I) are gone as well. I myself do not do 4 classes in the summer, even though this is my full time job - I need breaks too.

That said, the gals you are trying to hook up with may be in the same kind of spot. Wonderful ladies, enjoying their families until school starts and they are back at work "full time". Try them again if their classes and style are appealing to them. There are literally hundreds of talented ladies who are fun to be with and super creative - I am sure you can find one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

We know that. This is why she's not selling anything to me. She sends me stamp sets, I send her stuff you all can't get down there like Body Shop products, or Fruits and Passion. We're trading, not buying and selling.

[QUOTE=canben;6757332]Just a note on this. US demos are not allowed to sell to Canadian customers. It is against our contract. This demo could lose her demoship.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Well depending on when you tried to contact the demos they could have been at convention or on vacation...I had someone contact me while I was on vacation earlier this summer - so I wasn't able to e-mail her back until about 6 days after I got her intial e-mail (cause I didn't have internet access where I was)

I would say 4 classes a month is alot of classes - I am a "break-even" demo and strive for a class just once a month - even those demos that are business demos I know usually only do 2-3 classes a month...

You may want to check around or post where you live - as some demos are not listed on the demo locator - either by personal choice or by the demo locator requirements - so their may be a few more demos out there in your area that for whatever reason don't appear on the locator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenmouerView Post
You may want to check around or post where you live - as some demos are not listed on the demo locator - either by personal choice or by the demo locator requirements - so their may be a few more demos out there in your area that for whatever reason don't appear on the locator
I decided to check on myself - and I am not listed because even though I would like to be on it (and have been on it in the past) I didn't meet the rolling sales requirement to be included in the list for this month (lots of demos in my immediate area) - depending on how densly populated your area is with SU demos you may have a list of demos who are big business demos or in less dense areas it may include ones that are almost strictly hobby demos who may not check thier SU e-mail very often (especially if they only purchase for themselves)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I live in North/Central CT and have a wonderful demo. She keeps in touch and has monthly classes. For the summer I only noticed one stamp camp a month, but she recently updated her calendar for the fall and she has at least 2-3 a month at her home�Stamp Camp, Stamp a Stack and �In Color� class. If you are in the area and would like to know her contact info, just PM me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Wow! Thanks to all of you for all of this information. I didn't realize that 4 classes/month was a lot. Good to know.

Unfortunately my dh has terrible work hours, works weekends and that's when most of the classes are held. Bummer for me since I have kids and no babysitter.

All of the demos I that got from the SU locator, I emailed them directly, not through the SU site. I guess I could have gone into their Spam, I never knew that could happen.

As a coincidence, the demo that I met and loved emailed me today with her new schedule and let me know that she was at convention. I feel like an idiot now. I had no idea that she was going. I had asked her in a previous email but she never answered that question.

So now I have an etiquette question....Can I give business to more than one demo? The only reason that I would want to do this is if I can attend a class at one demo's one month, then another another month. Does that make sense? Can I switch between the two?

I just really, really want to take hands on classes with people who know what they are doing! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

You are not bound to one demo. You are not their property. You can go to one demo's ws and order from the other. There is nothing wrong with that, but I would talk to each demo in private and explain that that's what you are doing....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #39  
Glitter Guru

You are more than welcome to give your business to whomever you see fit...

Most demos who do classes price them so they are being compensated for their time...personally when I hold classes I don't expect orders (I have a handful of people who just come to my classes but don't stamp outside of my classes) - when someone wants to order something I consider it a bonus
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks GarnetJ for the OR/WA link -- I will check it out.

I definitely have enough stuff to keep me busy (forever!), but I still would love to browse the new catalog without looking at tiny pics online, have the minis in my hands, not miss out on the sales/special offers and actually have the opportunity to buy something -- I feel like I am being shut out!

Sad that so many of us have been left hanging one way or another. The whole vacation, convention excuse stuff doesn't fly with me.

I have been a lucrative customer for 3 years & I am annoyed that I should have to make multiple contacts with a company and its representatives, beg them to give me access to their product and take my money & still get no response. The system as it is set up to work appears to be broken and I will voice my annoyance to SU directly (and so sorry for the vent here!).

That said, the SCS community seems the best avenue to actually reach a demo -- so glad you are all here. I'm sure I will get a catalog one way or another!
Reply With Quote Likes