Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2005, 10:40 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Workshop Fee?

This is my first ever post on the internet, much less this site. Hope I'm doing it right!

I'm wondering what people's experience is with paying/charging workshop fees? I've demonstrated for 3 years and never charged people to attend my workshops and to do 3 make/takes. I do most of my workshops at my mother's sewing shop where there is great classroom space. However, her business isn't doing so hot these days, and I want to find a way to help her out.

I've heard about other demonstrators charging $5 or even $10 for people to attend workshops to cover cost of supplies. I am thinking of charging $5 to give to my mom for "rent". I would then supplement each month with however much more money I think I should give her. It can at least help with the utility bills.

I don't want to friek all my stampers out after they've had 3 years of free workshops. But if I don't do something, we may lose access to the shop all together. And I have no room in my home for workshops and classes. I'm curious what people's reactions will be. Some will opt to do workshops in their home, which is fine. Others may choose not to host workshops because they don't want me to charge their guests. And others will probably be supportive because they LOVE having their workshops there.

I'm thinking it may be time to make the shop a little more "hard to get" anyways. Some in my downline can't get their friends to do workshops with THEM because they pick me for access to workshops at the shop. Maybe a little fee will help me un-monopolize.

Anyways, any demonstrators have any experience in this issue? Any "customers" have opinions? I know people would rather spend $5 on an ink pad but.......this may be my only option. And even this may not save the shop but at least I'd be doing something pro-active.

I'd love to get some responses to my first post ever! Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 11:40 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I would pay $5, assuming your make and takes aren't super simple and include the envelope, so I can use the card. I think that is a fair charge for supplies/card, and hopefully your customers won't have a melt-down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 12:05 AM   #3  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

It sounds to me like you've put a lot of thought into it. Possible consequences... and yes I think it's okay to tell them it's to rent the place. Five bucks is not a lot of money.

My former demo charges $5 for her monthly workshop in her home, to make four card fronts. We took our own mono adhesive because she'd put out elmer's glue sticks. No benefits unless an individual ordered $150. (That's why I became a demo!)

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 02:00 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I've just started stamping--such a fun hobby/obsession! Since I'm a novice, paying $5 for a workshop to learn a new technique or get ideas is a bargain! My sister is a demo--but lives across the country so I can't attend her workshops, will charge $4-5 but will waive the fee if an order is placed. Compared to what some people charge as a minimum monthly fee-$20-25 for a stamping club, $5 is a bargain. And how fun for you to have a large area to do workshops. Best wishes to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 04:08 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Default classes vs workshops

If you call it classes instead of workshops, you could charge and not freak people out. My favorite demo doesn't charge for workshops (and now requires 8 attendees) but she does classes and charges for them. The classes have themes or focus on techniques.
She also sends out a quarterly newsletter, telling about classes and upcoming specials - like "pay no shipping when it snows" (which she run during the winter).
She always has great classes and is generous with the goodies you get to go along with the classes like certain tools you use.

~Nancy~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 05:09 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I think it will be in how you "sell" it. Introducing a new fee schedule for fall which includes rent for the space which has so generously been provided free for the last three years by <name of store> thanking her for her kindness. Also introducing some new classes which may also cost different amounts due to complexities or new supplies (card stacks, holiday gifts, stamped frame, scarf.)I know we are doing a scarf this week and usually our workshops are free but it was made clear in the planning that a fee was involved due to the additional supplies to create the scarf.

Your "selling point" is no need to clean your house or find a sitter or table space to host a workshop in your own home when we have this space available for only x dollars.

Good luck!

betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 05:16 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

As a "consumer", $5 is a great bargain. I'd certainly pay that much to make 3-4 cards; even card "fronts" without the envelopes I think it's still a bargain. Just my .02

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 06:19 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to SCS--and your first post ever!

I think $5 is reasonable--especially for make and take. Are these people paying the same price for milk, gas, movies, pizza, rent, or whatever, that they were paying 3 years ago? Inflation happens. Circumstances change. I liked the suggestion of perhaps sending out a little flyer with a fall schedule and explaining the generosity of (XYZ) store for providing rent-free space, but now that must change.

You could also try a "special" for your regulars: if they bring a NEW person, the first time it is "two for the price of one." That might eventually expand your group of attendees (more volume = more rent $ available), plus the new people would be used to paying a fee right from the start and perhaps be a little less resistant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 06:24 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheron
Welcome to SCS--and your first post ever!

I think $5 is reasonable--especially for make and take. Are these people paying the same price for milk, gas, movies, pizza, rent, or whatever, that they were paying 3 years ago? Inflation happens. Circumstances change. I liked the suggestion of perhaps sending out a little flyer with a fall schedule and explaining the generosity of (XYZ) store for providing rent-free space, but now that must change.

You could also try a "special" for your regulars: if they bring a NEW person, the first time it is "two for the price of one." That might eventually expand your group of attendees (more volume = more rent $ available), plus the new people would be used to paying a fee right from the start and perhaps be a little less resistant.
I agree with this completely. As a customer, $5 is a steal. (I know other demos in my part of the world regularly charge $15.) You can't even see a movie for $5! BTW, I like the idea of the "special" too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 06:48 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

When you say "workshop" do you mean like a show where there is a hostess who gets the benefits? Or is it more like a stamp camp where there is no hostess? I have never paid to go to a show, and all of the ones I attend have done three make and takes (without envelopes). However, I *do* pay to go to Stamp Camps. The last one was $15 and we made 10 cards (2 each of 5 designs). We also got 10 envelopes and a little plastic carrying case as part of the deal.

If you are trying to gather sales, and having these at your Mom's maybe you could charge $5-10 and then have a drawing for someone to "win" the hostess benefits if you get enough in sales... Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 08:18 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A lot of valuable insights and help is available to demonstrators in the demonstrators forums. Please click here for more info:

SU! Demonstrators Forums
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Default THANKS!

thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions and opinions! what a treat to see that people responded to my first post! this issue has been one of the toughest in my 3 years demonstrating and my decision could really affect my "business" so i appreciate everyone's tips. they will be taken into much consideration before i decide what to do. the good thing is that i am taking a month off to have our first baby....due august 29th....so i have some time to think it over and it is the perfect time to make such a change...i could say it's starts in the fall when i get back from baby duty. thanks again...i look forward to anymore suggestions...you guys are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 02:48 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

My demo charges $10 and we make 4 projects. This covers her expenses and time for cutting out all the paper sizes ahead of time. If we order $50 worth of merchandise, there is no fee. I think this is a very good deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

My demo does once a month class, fee is $5 unless you order $25 and then it's free. We bring our own tape to keep down her expense. We make 5 cards, her ideas are great and include embellishments-ribbon, brads, buttons, new techniques, ect. She has everything cut and ready.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I always pay to attend workshops that my demo holds. I would expect to. You are using your supplies, etc. and I don't always buy at the workshops. I'm a good customer, but some months I just can't do it.

Depending on what her projects are the fee ranges from $5-$10. However, right now I'm in a monthly stamping club that charges $25/month but there is always a hostess, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes