Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2004, 08:45 AM   #41  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Sided Tape

I use double sided tape exclusively. I never have that problem. It takes more time but I know my card isn't going to fall apart.

Renee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 08:57 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you buy the refill rolls of Scotch double sided tape and devote a desk dispenser to that, it is not any more of an inconvenience than using Mono. It is then a one handed operation and very convenient.
Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

I find that the glue sticks hold if you put it on both sides of the paper, just like you would for rubber cement. I use to hate glue sticks, but since discovering this, I haven't had anything fall apart.

But, I also love my Scotch double sided tape!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

I always use Scotch Double stick tape for my cards. Have never had luck with mono adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

I always use Scotch Double stick tape for my cards. Have never had luck with mono adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:16 AM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazygirl
I was having problems with mono for a while. They were refills that I got from Michaels. Since I have purchased refills from Viking I have NOT had that problem. I think Michaels had old stock sitting there that wasn't sticking as well. I was ready to give up on mono.

I do use a extra sticky double sided tape if I have to secure something that has had crimping or heavy watercoloring or embellishments.
I think stampcrazygirl is right. about 2/3 of the stuff I made with mono always fell apart even if it was just plain cs to plain cs. I was getting my refills from Michael's. I was just about to give up and tried Viking and their mono refills work fine so far. I did 100 Christmas cards and didn't hear of any of them falling apart. I hope at least one person would tell me if they did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 AM   #47  
One TOT Mom

I have tried everything out there. Some friends and I made accordian books together (the ones that unfold into diamonds and require alot of taping) a few months back. One used mono, one used the CM tape runner and I used my double sided tape. It took me a few minutes longer to make and they kept making fun of me for not using a runner, but as we were tying them....theirs kept popping apart! They had to redo theirs with my tape b/c their covers would not stay attached.

I am a die hard fan of PIONEER PHOTO MEMORY 1/2" DOUBLE SIDED MOUNTING TAPE. They sell it for $1.99 a roll at Hobby Lobby (30 feet) and $3.29 at Michaels. I am a demo and I even tell my customers this. It is cheaper and SOOOOO much stronger. It is permanent and they are now selling it in tape runners - permanent and repostitionable. The roll that is not in a tape runner comes in a red cardboard box and has a very 80s look to it, but it cannot be beat for keeping your creations together. I LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 11:37 AM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

I am gonna find out how much the adhesive my bosses use at their framing shop. It is a little awkward to get used to but he is anal about how his work comes out (he does excellent framing work by the way!) and this is what he used for his stuff. Can't remember the name of it off hand but I know it comes in different widths.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 11:42 AM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

This is an interesting topic. I bought the mono from Viking and had nothing but problems. Then at Reno Regionals I borrowed someone else's mono and it worked fine.

I am a demo and a friend of mine is a CM demo - she gave me the tape runner and I love it. I plan on using it at my demonstrations because I feel I can't sell something that I don't think highly of. Especially for that price.

Jeannie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 11:53 AM   #50  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default cards falling apart

I, too, gave up using monoadhesivel long ago, too many problems with it....
My favorite reliable double sided tape is Easy Stick permanent tape - I buy it at Wal-mart in 4-pack for under $9 (it is used just like monoadhesive in a roll-on manner).
For heavily layered cards, or ones like yours that have metallic papers that are buggers to get to stick, I resort to carpet tape or double sided foam tape. I buy both of these at the dollar store so they are inexpensive enough to use lavishly....and they ahere to ANYTHING!!!! I realize that these are not acid-free, but since I am only using them for cards and not in a scrapbook, it really doesn't create a problem.
The ONLY glue stick product that I have used that realiably holds together on cards is Elmers brand Gift Wrap Stik - the package says it is an extra strength gel adhesive. It was available at places like Walmart about 2 years ago and then it disappeared from the shelves...I was lucky to load up on a supply at the dollar store a year ago, but haven't seen it anywhere since then. If you're lucky enough to find some, it is a superior product (look for a glue stick with bright orange cap and bottom and purple label).

How disappointing to have your cards fall apart after working so hard to get them out on time. At least they didn't stick to the inside of the envelope! I had a friend send me a card that she had inserted in the envelope before one of the glues she used dried - imagine having to peel the envelope off the parts and pieces just to see the card! :lol:
Better luck with the next batch of cards you send out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #51  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! What a wealth of information! I have had numerous problems with my creations falling apart. I thought it was just me being stingy with my tape. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 02:32 PM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

I'm not the only one who has been having problems with the Mono adhesive. Some of my fellow demos and some of my customers have had their card fall apart. We agreed that the Hermafix worked much better. I was very disappointed that they discontinued it! :( However, when I called Demonstrator Support, they said that they hadn't heard this before. Please call demo support and let them know if you're having trouble with this product! I hope they bring back the Hermie!! :P

Yolanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 03:27 PM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

I'm pretty sure I read on the SU website that the Hermafix was just changing names. I don't use it myself though, so I'm not positive. Take a look through the news archives and see if you can find that info.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 03:32 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

I was so sorry to hear that some of your cards fell apart! I use only Scotch double sided tape and I have cards from over 10 years of stamping that are still together. I've found some pretty good pirces for the tape at Viking by buying at least a dozen at a time.

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by alasku2stamp
I am gonna find out how much the adhesive my bosses use at their framing shop. It is a little awkward to get used to but he is anal about how his work comes out (he does excellent framing work by the way!) and this is what he used for his stuff. Can't remember the name of it off hand but I know it comes in different widths.
A lot of picture framers use Scotch ATG tape; in fact, it is marketed just for that purpose. I LOVE IT! It does come in several widths. It isn't tape, just adhesive. One framer I knew had quit using the dispenser and just used the rolls themselves. I do this too, because the dispenser isn't all that cheap (anwhere from $35-$50!).

I do use the mono too, but when the layers start adding up, or I have embellishments adding to the weight of a layer, I switch to the ATG. It really is nice stuff -- the mono is definitely easier to apply though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

I used the mono that came with my kit, then tossed it in the garbage. It was crappy and so gummy to use. Ick. I love the Ross blue gel glue sticks and UHU gel pens. I bought the Ross sticks when school started, but I'm having a hard time finding them now. Same thing with the gel UHU. I'll keep looking though. I also like the CM tape runner, but I use a lot of adhesive and I smoke through those way too fast for cardmaking.
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 06:38 PM   #57  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been very fortunate not to have had any problems with mono. That being said - I started using Scotch double sided tape long beofre I ever heard of mono and I now switch back and forth between the two depending on the project.

If you want a glue stick that holds I highly recommend ELMER'S CRAFT BOND Extra Strength Glue Stick. It's acid free, goes on blue, dries clear. It holds like crazy. I don't like working with glue stick for the most part, but do use this on some projects. I've never seen anything come apart with this stuff!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:00 PM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoxieStamps
I only use CM tape. I am a SU demonstrator and of course I don't tell my customers this but it is the only thing that keeps things in place.

HTH
I confess, I did the same thing until I ran out. It holds up. Mono is good for my cards but I rarely use it in my books.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:06 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

This may seem like a dumb question but are you guys sure you are using perm. not temp. mono? I use mono on cards. I will divulge...I use CM tape runner and hermafix dotto in my scrapbooks. I use crystal effects for heavy stuff and the cm photo splits to stick down cord. I also use excess rubber to hold down cord or ribbon if I want it to pop up. I am a cheapskate and only use dimensionals if I am doing a spinner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:10 PM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolync6
I'm pretty sure I read on the SU website that the Hermafix was just changing names. I don't use it myself though, so I'm not positive. Take a look through the news archives and see if you can find that info.

Carolyn
Hermafix was bought out by EK success I think. At least that was the rumor at the store I use to teach at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:11 PM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so glad it's not just me, I had used mono for ages (even before I found SU), and never had a problem, and then about a year ago I started having problems with even the mono I was buying from SU! I thought it was me ...

I'm going to try the Scotch double-sided tape though - thanks for all the input from everyone, I'm learning heaps from all you helpful bunch of folks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:14 PM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

I know that I have posted a lot of times in a row. My memory is not good enough to read all the posts and then reply. Sorry. As you can see frommy earlier post, I use a lot of different stuff. i literally have every adhesive SU sells. I alternate depending on what I am doing. Since I was a CMC before SU I have a big stock in CM. The adhesives are great but I hate the flap of used paper that hangs out of the tape runner. The mono I bought from viking seems to be the best. God knows they don't have stock long as much as we buy. Maybe Micheals just had bad stuff. My mono never gums up and it has been quite a while since anything has falled off a card but then again I use so many different things. Hope some of my insight has helped. Also remember if you use a small amount of mon on one cardstock and then another small amount on the corresponding CS you will get a great grip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #63  
Embossing Fanatic

I use all different types of adhesive depending on what I'm working with. But I think the one that has never come apart on me has been the hermafix brand adhesive. I've used both the dots type and the one with the white tabs. Another strong adhesive is by kokuyo, but it is difficult to use compared to the mono adhesive and herafix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 11:27 AM   #64  
Matboard Maniac

Betsy, is there a trick to just using the ATG tape by itself (that is, without the dispenser)? It never occurred to me to try it, but it was the cost of the dispenser that kept me from trying the Scotch ATG stuff.

Quote:

A lot of picture framers use Scotch ATG tape; in fact, it is marketed just for that purpose. I LOVE IT! It does come in several widths. It isn't tape, just adhesive. One framer I knew had quit using the dispenser and just used the rolls themselves. I do this too, because the dispenser isn't all that cheap (anwhere from $35-$50!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 12:19 PM   #65  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had bad luck with 2-way glue pens, although the glue sticks usually work better for me (except with embellishments, multiple layers or metallics). But, for cards with more than one layer (which most are it seems), I also find the Scotch double stick tape works the best; in fact, I buy it in bulk at Office Depot. Probably the only problem with it is you have to be so careful placing it because once it's on, IT'S ON!
And...the glue dots are THE BEST for adhering most embellishments - I used them to secure a piece of artificial greenery to all my Christmas cards and they ALL stayed on. (I was pleasantly amazed.)
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 02:40 PM   #66  
Embossing Fanatic

I, too, have had problems using the mono permanent...not fun to find that my card has fallen apart as I'm putting it in the envelope. :(

I've started using paper cement for the cards that I REALLY want to make sure stay together. Not as convenient as the mono, but I'd rather know that my cards are going to stay together.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 03:58 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubadubdub
Betsy, is there a trick to just using the ATG tape by itself (that is, without the dispenser)? It never occurred to me to try it, but it was the cost of the dispenser that kept me from trying the Scotch ATG stuff.

Quote:

Uh, well let's see if I can try and explain in 10,000 words or less, lol!

I hold the roll in my right hand (I am right handed) and peel back a bit of the adhesive and stick it to my paper. So now the roll is being held with adhesive stuck to paper, the release paper up facing me. I start pushing the roll away from myself with my right hand while pulling the release paper up away from the adhesive, towards me. You might start looking for your third hand right about now... . When you get to where you want to stop just pull straight up and the adhesive will break .

Hope this makes sense....Once you get the hang of it it's not that bad, although I do sometimes tend to get sticky fingers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 04:16 PM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

I have had trouble in the past so ran all my layers through the xyron this year. It was worth them not falling apart in the mail. I had a lot of cord and embossing and it seemed to do the trick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 06:16 AM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

Default cards falling apart

When I first started stamping I made about 10 cards ahead ...when I got them out to mail they had come apart...I WAS using glue sticks but now use only double sided tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 06:33 AM   #70  
Insane Embellisher

The mono & the glue sticks are temp sensitive. That means when they get hot or cold the sticky "unsticks". I stick with SU or 2-sided tape. These are the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 06:54 AM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

I use mono when I just playing but if I am sending the card I use double sided tape. It also works when I am using ribbon or cord.

Whenever I feel blue I start breathing again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 11:40 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just another vote for Scotch double sided tape!Started with it when I didn't have anything else and have found it to be the most reliable. For most embellishments I also use glue dots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 11:59 AM   #73  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks, Betsy, for the description! I'm pretty passionate about adhesives, so I don't think I'd mind getting sticky fingers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #74  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I've read all the posts, because I know the permanent mono was giving everyone problems a couple months ago. Okay, at least the new design doesn't gum up as much. And yes, I think Hermafix is changing names.

But I want to thank everyone for their input, because now I have a list of various adhesives to look for!

When the mono was giving everyone problems, I did make a point to press everything together harder than I used to. Used to be able to just press and go, now I press HARD.

So thanks to everyone for their postings about various adhesives and uses thereof!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes