Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero Creativity

Hi everyone. I am so frustrated (nothing new)! I have been making cards for about a year and half now, and things still are no easier.
In order for me to even purchase a set, I can't just like it. I have to go to the gallery here adn look at all the cards people make with it, to see if I really like it and if I can do a large portion of the samples there, using them as inspiration and guides.
If I do purchase the set, well, then I have to PRINT out all the samples I liked so I can follow them.
It's crazy. I have NO creativity. It takes me HOURS to ONE card, because I am spending so much time finding papers that go together, then stamping then building the card.
There HAS to be a better way.

I guess what I do produce is very good. My cards have been selling since christmas. But, this past order has been my worst. I have 15 cards to make and for the life of me, I just can't pull them together, again, without running to the computer and looking for INSPIRATION!!!!

Can ANYONE make any suggestions. (I am starting to think that maybe this is not the best direction (making cards), for me and that would really sadden me.)

Thank you
Paula
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I don't follow cards exactly, but I always use the ideas I've saved for inspiration. I've made a few cards from my own creativity and I've been happy with them. Can you get the ideas and then just use what you have, change it up a bit, etc., so you are not driving yourself crazy trying to exactly reproduce certain cards.

I don't have the time and energy to create all my cards from scratch. Some people just love doing that. I have a co-worker who is very artistic and still cases cards for the same reason. I'm just really satisfied being at the level I'm at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started out just like you, I couldn't think of my own ideas, it drove me crazy so I didn't create much! This doesn't help with your current project, but what helped me TONS is participating in the challenges, after participating for a bit, they really helped me come up with my own ideas. There are so many great challenges here along with many many blog challenges. A great resourse is The Daily Dare http://dailydare4u.blogspot.com/

Good luck!!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Many of us start out by CASE-ing other cards. The more you make, the more you develop your own style and will learn what you like/don't like in the card making world.

It took me years to develop my own style. It's a hobby - have fun and don't worry so much. Before you know it you'll be whipping out cards without needed to surf the gallery first.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I don't try to sell my cards so I am not sure if my suggestions will help or not. As others have mentioned LOTS of us ( maybe "most" of us ? ) use this gallery or other online places to pull inspiration from. I even buy a few magazines now and then to keep on hand for ideas.

I try to look for layouts I like, or the use of an embellishment like ribbon or brads or a punched out shape that are used in different ways than I would think of, I keep those images in my favorites out here or in magazines in my crafting area. That way I am not going crazy trying to match an exact stamp set or color scheme necessarily but just ways to build a card with what I already have.

As for spending time trying to find papers that go together; you might benefit from focusing on purchasing from one company for awhile to simplify that process. For instance, Stampin' Up does excel at offering inks and paper that match as well as providing a lot of pattern paper to choose from that will go with their solid card stock colors. And the packs of pattern paper will have 6 or so patterns that will all work with each other so that will save you some time.

If you don't like Stampin' Up pick a line of papers like Basic Grey or October Afternoon and find which company produces the solid colors that will coordinate best with those papers; like Bazzill for instance. After years of buying only Stampin' Up I am just now venturing into other company lines so I don't have a lot of experience with whose colors match what right now.

Doing challenges will help as another poster mentioned. And also, you might need to make some time to just sit and try different techniques or just try to build cards with the stamps and inks you have. Even if you end up trashing all of them....lots of the most talented members out here throw away things that didn't work. If it just doesn't look right, move on; try again....be willing to sacrifice a little of your paper to experiments.

One last thing. Figure out what elements attract you to certain cards that you end up keeping for inspiration. Is it a clean and simple layout? Or is it the opposite, layers and layers of paper and embellishments? Are you drawn toward designs that manage to mix 2 or 3 patterned papers well? Focus on the elements that appeal to you and practice creating projects with those same elements to you get a feel for it yourself.

Good luck! And don't be so hard on yourself!! We all get inspiration from each other!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Many of the cards I make are inspired by someone else's card that I really like. But lately I have been noticing potential in my magazines, catalogs and kids clothes! I'll find some color combo I like or maybe a nice pattern that I can recreate with my stamps. Then I just use a layout that I'm really comfortable with and start creating! I'm really enjoying this little burst of creativity and I hope it keeps on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

If it helps, I try to pick a stamp set I want to work with. Then either pick a color scheme or hunt for one. Then focus on a lay out. If I were trying to make several cards I would try to find multiple ways to use a set so I'm not searching 20 things. If you can find 2 or 3 ideas for one set that could save time spent on figuring stuff out. These are just the first few things to come to mind. HTH.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have found that participating in sketch challenges really helps me. I actually print out all the Splitcoast challenges with examples, hole punch them and put them in a notebook. When my mojo is in short supply, I go to my notebook! I don't think there is a thing wrong with looking for inspiration from inspirational people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

i've been serious about paper crafting for a little more than a year now and while i love checking out galleries i really have to stick to a budget when it comes to my projects.

so when i start working on a card or layout i start by going through what i already have. i also think about what the person i'm making the card for likes or what can be neutral. from there i decide what paper i want to use for that person and build on that. the paper is usually my starting point and i just layer everything together from there.

hope that gives you an idea or new approach.

StS 2010 Earned: $635.50 Spent: $162.47 Difference: $473.03
Reply With Quote Likes