Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Do you want to go to dinner after the stamp event?
Yes. Pizza (salads available) 18 72.00%
No 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycatstamper
I just asked DH how "dead" I would be if this fell on his birthday weekend and I went anyway.... he said, "well maybe I can go too!" HA! NOT! The only forum he fits into on this site is Current Events..... LOL!
Hmmm.... you know the expression "football (or baseball) widow".... are there "stamper widowers"? :lol:

Hi Crazycat - tell DH he can go visit the many wineries in Livermore or go fishing at Lake Del Valle, just 15 minutes south of town, or golfing at several courses here or in Pleasanton. Funny, someone else had a dh birthday on the 20th also, so I'll scratch that one off. I'll try to get a booking for a room on the weekend of 5/6th or the 12/13th, but 26/27th will be a backup.

I'm taking dh's laptop with me to Disneyland - told dh we'll send him daily digital photos of our fun and tell him how much we miss him (I left out the part about using it to check in on SCS, heehee).

~ Kathy

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Default Sounds Like Fun!

I'm in Folsom, but would not mind driving down at all!

As of now August looks good for me except for my DH's birthday on the 5th. You will never be able to find a date that works for everyone though, so if that's the date you decide on I'll just have to sit at home and pout LOL!

Actually, I have no idea what kind of plans we'll have on his birthday. We usually go somewhere....maybe I'll take him to Livermore this year!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 05:51 AM   #43  
thepaperprincess

I'd love to join in! For August, any weekend besides the first one ( Aug 5th - 6th) is fine by me.

If we need an alternate space, I teach at a paper arts studio in San Jose and may rent out the entire space for us if needed.

Cheers,
Khris

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #44  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Default Stamping Widowers....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikimom
Hmmm.... you know the expression "football (or baseball) widow".... are there "stamper widowers"? :lol:

Hi Crazycat - tell DH he can go visit the many wineries in Livermore or go fishing at Lake Del Valle, just 15 minutes south of town, or golfing at several courses here or in Pleasanton. Funny, someone else had a dh birthday on the 20th also, so I'll scratch that one off. I'll try to get a booking for a room on the weekend of 5/6th or the 12/13th, but 26/27th will be a backup.

I'm taking dh's laptop with me to Disneyland - told dh we'll send him daily digital photos of our fun and tell him how much we miss him (I left out the part about using it to check in on SCS, heehee).

~ Kathy

Actually, when we used to go to EVERY RUBBERAMA in driving distance (not going next weekend.... not enough vendors showing up..they're all doing Cleaveland instead), there was a group of DH's that used to sit together at one of the tables. Mostly the same group of guys at every show. He calls it "the Testosterone Table". Chances are we will come down the night before and go to the in-laws in Palo Alto and I'll just leave him there (a bonus for me... they get a visit, but I get minimal exposure! LOL!) and drive across, what is it, 84? to Livermore.

This place IS an addiction, isn't it? We're going up to the family cabin for a week in May and there is NO INTERNET ACCESS! Not even DIAL UP! So, in order for me to get on-line, I would have to drive up into town and go to the little office supply place and pay $6 an hour to get online. Which, of course I *will* do, at least twice since I will be gone when the new catty preview sets are scheduled to be pre-ordered AND when they start taking reservations for the Riverton tour at Convention! Like I'm gonna miss EITHER of THOSE! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #45  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

My map says, for Palo Alto to Livermore, to go down 101 to 237, cross that to 680, go north to 84. I think cos otherwise you have to go through Fremont streets and then Niles Canyon Rd., which looks very winding.

However! Not having ever driven it, I have no idea if that's a good idea or not. Probably on a Saturday, taking the freeways would be faster. But I've heard there are neat shops on Niles Canyon, just haven't been there yet!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #46  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
My map says, for Palo Alto to Livermore, to go down 101 to 237, cross that to 680, go north to 84. I think cos otherwise you have to go through Fremont streets and then Niles Canyon Rd., which looks very winding.

However! Not having ever driven it, I have no idea if that's a good idea or not. Probably on a Saturday, taking the freeways would be faster. But I've heard there are neat shops on Niles Canyon, just haven't been there yet!
Niles Canyon is a beatuiful drive. It is kind of winding, but not as bad as say the Santa Cruz mountains.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #47  

I saw my friend from Pleasanton today and asked her. She said, as you did, that Niles Canyon isn't a problem, but before there, going through Fremont, was an issue for her. Actually, the bridge itself is an issue for her because she has this horrible fear of high bridges.... !!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 05:55 PM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

I fear the bay bridge, since it fell in 89.

So is the stamp get together in August? What a bummer that i'll miss it... I haven't been home in 4 years. I'll be home in June for a month.. I hope maybe I can catch you ladies another time!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #49  

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyRaspberry
Niles Canyon is a beatuiful drive. It is kind of winding, but not as bad as say the Santa Cruz mountains.
Mmmmmm... I love a nice drive up 17! One of my fave drives is up Hwy 1 from Petaluma to Gualala. I LOVE THE TWISTY BITS!!!! Turns DH a lovely shade of green, I might add! Danica Patrick aint got NUTHIN on me!!!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #50  

Quote:

I fear the bay bridge, since it fell in 89.
I have no fear of earthquakes.... I figure if it's "my time", I will meet my Maker however handy at the moment. I just would prefer that it be swift and something DH can collect my life insurance on!

Look at it this way... the Bay Bridge is SO SAFER than it was in '89! And it was only ONE LITTLE section that fell! You're more likely to get squished by a semi on our lovely CA highways, I think!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycatstamper
I have no fear of earthquakes.... I figure if it's "my time", I will meet my Maker however handy at the moment. I just would prefer that it be swift and something DH can collect my life insurance on!

Look at it this way... the Bay Bridge is SO SAFER than it was in '89! And it was only ONE LITTLE section that fell! You're more likely to get squished by a semi on our lovely CA highways, I think!
Good point, everything is MUCH MUCH safer there these days. I was only 11 in 89 so that earthquake really shook me up.
My goal before I moved out of CA was to drive hwy 17 & I did it.
Sorry to hijack! It's just so nice to talk to people from home, who know the same places I do..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #52  

Loma Prieta chased my ex out of state. We felt it here in Sacramento. FREAKED HIM OUT. I grew up in the Bay Area and "earthquake drills" went every month with "Fire drills" at school, so it was just an accepted thing. Kinda like storm shelters in the midwest. Having a TORNADO come down IN SACRAMENTO last year freaked the heck outta me... we are supposed to have EARTHQUAKES in CA, NOT TORNADOS!!!!!! LOL!

ETA: And by "tornado", I mean it knocked down fences, tossed patio furniture and tore off shingles. It did pick up one guy in his car, lifted him a couple feet off the ground, and dropped him, but I know anyone who has lived in the midwest is saying, "WIMPS!" right now..... ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #53  

Oh ha ha, Lisa, we got those kinds of tornadoes sometimes in our area of Florida where we lived - I called them "awning benders"!!!

Susanne, maybe some of us can meet you for lunch or something when you are here in June. We can just pick a place and make a reservation, nothing as elaborate as the official gathering!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 10:40 PM   #54  
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up

Quote:

Susanne, maybe some of us can meet you for lunch or something when you are here in June. We can just pick a place and make a reservation, nothing as elaborate as the official gathering!
OOH yea! that would be so fun! I know my way around Milpitas! Use to live right across from the dump, PU!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 10:57 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ooooooooooh! I'd love to participate! I'm in Petaluma and wouldn't mind the drive at all. I'd get to drive my *new* truck! hehe
My little Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 12:41 AM   #56  

Quote:

OOH yea! that would be so fun! I know my way around Milpitas! Use to live right across from the dump, PU!
You poor thing!! A few years ago, the salt pond people let something dry up and MAN it was BAD at that end of town! Lucky for us, we're in the far southeast corner of town.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm definitely up for it! DD's birthday is August 26th though so we'll be having her party at the Saturday closest to that date.

I'm coming from Richmond.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 12:09 AM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm interested and would like to go. Any time in August works for me - so I'm excited!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 02:39 PM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Talking

Hello,
Sounds like there is quite a bit of interest! Woo hoo! My calendar is fairly open for the month of August, although I have tentative plans to be out of town during the weekend of August 12.
Looking forward to participating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm baaaacckk! Yes, I survived the 350 mile drive down to Anaheim with three boys (ages 9, 10 and 11) in the back seat. Then 3 days in Disneyland and drove back yesterday. First day we arrived at the park about 10 am, by 2 pm they all wanted to go back to the hotel and swim. Huh? When I was a kid, you couldn't have dragged me outta there without a big fuss. They probably spent as much time in the shops as on the rides. Oh, and they tried to act real cool about things - we'd get off a ride and I'd be all excited and asked them what they thought, "oh, it was okay". Aaaaaacck! I think they enjoyed it though and I didn't lose anyone, so I guess it was successful. ;)

Back to business - Welcome to Threadbear, thepaperprincess, Suzy Q. Moose, mar1car and kathat. I also got some pm's from a few others. The list is growing longer; I'm in the process of tallying and will post that later.

I heard from citycooks who attended the SoCal event although she lives in the Bay Area. I'm going to pick her brain to get the scoop on her experience; she said it was a blast and wants to help us have fun, too.

Keep up the chat, we can get to know one another. All input welcome.

thanks,

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #61  

Quote:

I'm baaaacckk! Yes, I survived the 350 mile drive down to Anaheim with three boys (ages 9, 10 and 11) in the back seat. Then 3 days in Disneyland and drove back yesterday. First day we arrived at the park about 10 am, by 2 pm they all wanted to go back to the hotel and swim. Huh? When I was a kid, you couldn't have dragged me outta there without a big fuss. They probably spent as much time in the shops as on the rides. Oh, and they tried to act real cool about things - we'd get off a ride and I'd be all excited and asked them what they thought, "oh, it was okay". Aaaaaacck! I think they enjoyed it though and I didn't lose anyone, so I guess it was successful. ;) ~ Kathy
Um, you have that backwards. If you didn't lose anyone, you FAILED MISERABLY!!!

Just Kidding! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Um, you have that backwards. If you didn't lose anyone, you FAILED MISERABLY!!!

Just Kidding! LOL
Believe me, there were times I was tempted to get myself lost. LOL

It was very crowded, lots of other kids on Spring break too. Used the Fast Pass for most of the long line rides, but had to stand in line over an hour for the three minute Space Mountain ride. Somehow, I don't think Walt would approve of that - not very "happy" even though the ride is a blast. Will have to limit all future visits to off-season only. I wanted to go on the Matterhorn Bobsleds, but couldn't talk the boys into it. The wait was maybe 30 minutes, no fast pass available. sigh. Pirates is being updated to link to the movie with Johnny Depp. The old submarine ride is being updated to tie in with "Finding Nemo". Those should both be fun.

G.I.T. business: rough tally so far is about 25. Some of those said they might bring other stamping friends.

~ Kathy S.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

bump

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #64  
Matboard Maniac

Just came across this thread and so happy that I did! I've been green with envy every time I read about an SCS get-together just like the SoCal Mania one. They're just too far for me. As for this one, I live in Salinas, about an hour south of San Jose. I would love to come to this gathering, but have to make a little disclaimer. It's our company's tax season around that time, but if I can help it, I will save a weekend for this. The only weekend that is not good for me is 8/12. Other than that I will try to make it to this one.

Thanks so much for starting this, Kathy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #65  
Crimping Master

Count me in! I just found this thread and I would love to attend! Our schedule is crazy in the summer, but hopefully with this much advanced notice I'll be able to make it! Thanks for putting it together!

I know no kids...but can nursing babes come?...he's a really good baby...and cute, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Maria and Kirstin, glad you found this. The response has been very good for the short amount of time I've had this up. Over 30 people now. Of course, when I have a firm date, it may not fit with a few schedules, I think it will be a good turnout. The date is dependent on reserving a place which I plan to do this week. We will be able to build on the success of the SoCal event with the contacts I have made with one of the organizers (Jami) and another attendee. I also plan to send out a questionnaire to everyone logged into this thread about their interests in the activities. But, in the meantime, everyone please add any ideas you have to this thread.

Thanks,

~ Kathy S.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Hello, time to bump this back to the first page and give you an update. I went to the Community Center to look at the rooms available. Their website was outdated on the rental fees on the original room I was thinking of, now $360. However, saw another room, about same capacity and that one is less expensive. The room will fit six 5 foot tables and I think no more than 6 stampers per table. I saw some tables set up for a banquet to sit 8, but stamping requires more elbow room. So, since this is the first event in our area, I feel that I will have to limit the number of attendees to 36. The number of people who have contacted me regarding this event is about 26 and some mentioned a few more they could bring. Not everyone will be able to attend (room available Sat. 8/5 or 8/12). I will have this weekend to think it over and then Monday will have to go make a deposit on the room.

I've had some info from 'citycooks' about the SoCal Mania event. She said the stamping activities were from 1 pm to 6 pm and then optional get together for dinner at a restaurant. She suggested that we not include lunch in the "stamp room" as it might get messy. This sounds good to me as it will also allow out of towners time to drive here and stop for lunch (I can provide suggestions) before we get down to business. But most stampers I know like to munch, so I do plan to provide snacks!

Okay ladies, let's get to know one another - what's your favorite snack?

~ Kathy S.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #68  

Talking YUM!

Quote:

Okay ladies, let's get to know one another - what's your favorite snack?

~ Kathy S.
Right now, both the 5th and the 12th look good for me! My favorite snacks.... I can't pick just ONE... that's like picking your favorite kid or something! LOL.... Let's see.... I like frozen grapes (the time of year will be right for them!), Lay's Potato chips, gummy bears and sweetened cereal (apple jacks, frosted mini wheats, etc) right out of the box!

Yeah, I'm troubled.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 06:46 PM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

Lisa, I've never tried frozen grapes, but August will definitely be the time to try them! Livermore is surrounded by vineyards so it's appropriate that way, too.

I forgot to mention some of my favorites - lots of Trader Joe's stuff, especially their three flavor hummus dip with the tortilla chips that are made with soy and sesame. Cherry tomatoes, fresh picked from the backyard. Chocolate in most forms, though I can't handle the very dark truffles anymore, give me a headache. Oooh, TJ has choc covered dried fruit, yum. Sourdough with a schmeer of gooey brie - that would go well with grapes or apple slices. I have to watch my snacking though, as I am diabetic (no meds yet).

~ Kathy S.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #70  
Kookie Creator

Just got a pm about this!!! So glad...sounds fun.
I'm in...I live in Walnut Creek so I'm close. If there is room I'd LOVE to have my girlfriend come, she's like my partner when it comes to workshops, etc!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #71  
Mad Swapper

Hi all,

I'm subscribing to this thread. Sounds like fun! I would like to try and make it if possible. Many of your names look familiar to me but I don't think I've met any of you in person!

I am in Mountain View so a drive to Livermore shouldn't be too bad. I'll keep checking here for a date.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #72  
Kookie Creator

forgot to mention that the price seems totally fair to me and worth it! And i'm open to any projects/ideas you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #73  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathat
I'm definitely up for it! DD's birthday is August 26th though so we'll be having her party at the Saturday closest to that date.

I'm coming from Richmond.
Thats my DDs bday too! I am coming from Fairfield/Vacaville area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Welcome TinaKim, Cassandranet and StamperedChef! (I sent them all a pm to let them know about this - looked for SCSers with a Bay Area Location).

Okay, hope I didn't dampen anyone's appetite with my snack list - just cause I can't eat too many gummy bears and other sweets, doesn't mean you can't all discuss them here.
Come on, let's have some lip smackin' snack chat!

~ Kathy S.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #75  

I'm in. Let me know which date you end up with. I will be ready to send in my non-refundable deposit, right? You didn't say how much the smaller room is?

Thanks for doing this!

Oh snacks, I'm easy. It could be very very hot in early August in Livermore! Cool, light snacks would be great. Do they have any rules about wine, if anybody was interested in that?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry, no alcohol at the rec center (it would require a huge insurance deposit for liability). Dinner at a restaurant though, you can relax and enjoy. (Have a designated driver or camp out in my backyard - LOL).

The room is $210 for six hours, but that would give me only half hour for set up and clean up. I think with a crew though, that is feasible. Another hour would be $35. As far as how much to charge, it's a bit tricky because I won't know the exact number of attendees to divide the total. I would add in money for a nice snack spread and drinks (I will have people send me their requests ahead of time). Then, add cost a few misc. items (plastic table cloths, simple decor, etc. - Dollar Store here I come). The SoCal event had door prizes that were provided by each participant, approx. $3-5 value (mostly stamped gift items, there are pics in the gallery). They also had about six bonus prizes that came out of the entry fee. I want to be very open about the cost with everyone as I want to let you know I don't plan to be making a profit on this. Oh, cost for make n' take, also. Hmm, will have to ask about the shoebox projects - I think each participant brought the supplies for that.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #77  

I can't drink, anyway, cos of the vicodin, but wanted to ask.

I know there are some guidelines about charging for things. The sticky at the top says: "If a fee is charged, that fee should cover the room rental (if any) but not cost of materials, sets, etc."

The thinking behind that is, one demo (I know you're not a demo) stands to get some good sales if they supply the group with material. So - we have to do that another way.

If you have any questions about it, just PM one of the mods of this forum.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the clarification Kathy O. I'm hoping someone who comes to our rendezvous will have been to the big convention and willing to share a project from there or just fill us in on all the fun. Anyone here going to convention? I guess the idea for shoebox/make n'takes is that if everyone brings one then we all pretty much share the cost. If everyone brings supplies for five other people to make something, then everyone gets to try five projects. I agree with someone who said earlier they can't do the ten minute quickies. We are all experienced stampers, so we can step up the projects to a higher level.

Would anyone be interested in learning something a bit different? I'm experienced with teabag folding and dry or paste embossing. Anyone else have something out of the ordinary they want to share? We could break into smaller groups for that.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #79  

That's a great idea! I've done a LITTLE teabag folding and working with the paste. There are so many neat and wonderful techniques out there! I don't do a lot of the "messier" ones, because it's not so convenient in my setting, when I try something, I have to be very careful. And most of what I've learned beyond basic stamping, I've taught myself, learning from newsletters, books, or online. I'd love to be a teabag folder helper!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #80  

Talking Me! Me! Me!

Quote:

Anyone here going to convention? ~ Kathy
I am! I am! CAN'T WAIT EITHER!!!!

For the get-together, I also wanted to suggest everyone bringing their favorite munchie snack to share so that you don't end up doing ALL the work!
Reply With Quote Likes