Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Do you want to go to dinner after the stamp event?
Yes. Pizza (salads available) 18 72.00%
No 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2006, 06:44 PM   #281  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, yes.... 17 over the mountain can cause overheating! BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!

The floor in my craft room is sparkly... and I don't mean CLEAN.... oh well. I can swiffer up the glitter.... a small price to pay for staying a little cooler.... I think we're finally down below 100 outside....... And it's trash night.... bleh.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #282  
Matboard Maniac

I got excited when I saw a No Calif SCS get together! BUT it is not far north enough for me....bummer. Livermore is about a 6 hour drive south. I am in NORTH CA (almost 2 hours south of the CA/OR border!). oh well....you all have FUN FUN FUN!!! anyhow, it's my sons 13th b-day (Aug 5) and we will be in Tahoe with my family. Have a BLAST stamping!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #283  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycatstamper
As Allan Jackson says, "It's 5:00 SOMEWHERE"....... ooo! It's even 5:00 HERE! WOO HOO!!!!!!
My husband's favorite drinking expression is "it's beer-thirty" (as in "it's 5:30", but can be used at anytime it's time for a beer or our summer favorite - gin and tonic/Squirt).

Crazycat - I just came back from my monthly stamp party with my Castro Valley Coven (as we call ourselves). One of the projects had glitter and it never fails that afterwards we have little bits on our faces - so, today I looked right at our demo with the little pot in my hand and said "I'm not waiting for random specks" and then dabbed some right on my eyelids. LOL. She looked at me laughing and asked what was up, I told her the heat has fried my brain.

Jill - could those dark clouds have been from a fire? Looks woefully clear to me.

Is it beer-thirty yet?

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #284  
Gallery Gazer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikimom
Jill - could those dark clouds have been from a fire? Looks woefully clear to me.
~ Kathy
It's entirely possible. Although my weather program on my computer did have an alert for possible thunderstorms in the area, we never did get that rain. And it's still almost 90 degrees outside... sigh!

I used to be the one pulled over to the side with my hood up on 17 when I had my little '65 Mustang. Thank goodness for newer cars with better cooling systems! Glad you made it home safe and sound, Kathy O. Looking forward to hearing tomorrow about DD's outing in S'Cruz.

Lisa, how was your Mojito? My Margarita made me not mind the heat so much. The only problem was it melted WAY too fast! :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #285  
Matboard Maniac

Hello,

Hope everyone survived the heatwave this weekend...I somehow managed to begin working on my door prize for the Rubber Rendevouz, eventhough I was roasting in my non-air conditioned apartment on the third floor! I don't think I've slept soundly in at least a week - I just toss and turn every night, even with two fans in my bedroom. I will be so happy to see some fog creeping over the hill (I'm in San Mateo).

I'm also disappointed...my first order from the new catalog was scheduled to arrive today. I usually have my orders shipped to my work location, but decided to have it delivered to my apartment this time so I would not have to take the package home. Whenever I have had an order shipped from SU! to my residence, UPS always leaves it, even if I am not at home. Well today UPS decided that they would not leave the package, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. (Perhaps he was heeding the message on the SU! box - Do Not Leave in Heat and Sunlight). Fortunately I can sign the slip that the driver left so that he'll leave the package for me on Tuesday. I guess that means I get to clean my apartment tonight instead of assembling my new stamps! I'm anxious to get my order so that I can start my swaps for the Rubber Rendevouz!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #286  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink HI EVERYONE!!

I missed talking to all of you this weekend. My brain must be fried from the heat. Just now I kept trying to log on with the wrong user name and yelling at the computer, "WHAT DO YA MEAN THAT'S WRONG?!!" Thanks Kathy O. for your condolences to those of us who are a/c challenged. It was a rough weekend. I did find a way to stay a bit cooler. Friday and Saturday night I took my mini DVD player out to the patio and watched a movie in the dark. Brought back memories of those drive-in days...cooool. That's it for now...just checkin' in. Enjoyed all your posts. Now must go work on something-swaps, shoebox, etc. I'll just have to see where my mood leads me. TTFN, Vicki:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 08:00 PM   #287  

Quote:

Originally Posted by puffin1953
I did find a way to stay a bit cooler. Friday and Saturday night I took my mini DVD player out to the patio and watched a movie in the dark. Brought back memories of those drive-in days...cooool. That's it for now...just checkin' in. Enjoyed all your posts. Now must go work on something-swaps, shoebox, etc. I'll just have to see where my mood leads me. TTFN, Vicki:cool:

Vicki - you are SOOOOOO lucky it cools off there after dark.... last night we beat the record (set SATURDAY NIGHT) for the warmest overnight "low" temp.... ready for this???? The "coolest" it got here last night was EIGHTY-FOUR-FREAKIN-DEGREES!!!!! ICK ICK ICK!!!!! Nice to know my house is well insulated.... I have the AC set for 79 during the evening, then shut it off when I go to bed, and that's what it was when I got up this morning..... 79. It was already 86 out when I got up at 6..... NASTY NASTY NASTY!!!!!

I forgot that we needed to do a STAMPED doorprize..... I have a good doorprize, but it aint stamped! Time to wheel some tissue!!!! LOL!!!!

Still trying to come up with a good swap card... the ATCs are DONE DONE DONE and the shoebox is half prepared...... Hubby is home for the weekend this weekend, so I will only get in a little stamping while he is catching up on 3 weeks of mail..... SIGH

STAY COOL LADIES!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 08:00 PM   #288  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hey all, I was given an exclusive sneak peek at the super cool Make & Take that Kathy has planned for us!! I didn't get to see all the parts and pieces, but I did see some pretty cool looking colors and designs. Can't wait to see what it's going to turn into. Oh, and I saw the DD eye shadow :-) I'll have to remember that trick, it was very cute. Kathy has a great handle on all the details. We are all very lucky that this is how she wanted to celebrate a milestone BD for herself....by putting on a great gathering for all of us!!! Kathy, YOU ROCK!!! Us No. Cal. SCSers will owe you a big fat hug and toast when we see you on the 5th. THANK YOU!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #289  
Pearl-ExPert

I had a wonderful time talking to Jennifer/citycooks. She attended the SoCal Stampmania a few months ago and helped me figure out how to rotate the shoebox assignments. Thank You! Then we brainstormed on a few other things - we think alike on stamping stuff. She brought her laptop so I could see some of the many photos she took at convention. All the card examples on the boards are very inspiring. She will bring a slide show to the Rendezvous to share with all.

Lisa/crazycat will also be bringing a slide show on her laptop, so it will be easy to see when there are two going.

Yes, I told Jennifer that this get together is my way of celebrating turning 50 (is that years?). And, I also qualified for retirement benefits (that's a really big thing to celebrate). I've been taking a year off from work to have some fun and enjoy my 10 year old son (before he turns to the dark side of teen-hood). So, I'm looking forward to lots of fun and making some new friends.

~ Kathy (event hostess)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #290  
Rubber Obsessor

Cool STILL TRYIN' TO COOL IT

Hey, Lisa and NorCal stampers... I didn't mean it cooled off in Fremont at night (at least not in this heat wave). I meant it was a lttle cooler on the patio by maybe 5 degrees and the air was moving just a bit; not stagnant like in the house. But it felt cool as in Kewl! Maybe you're too young to remember drive-in movies?? You don't have to tell. But you're right, the temps barely fall at night, that's what's makin' it so miserable even at 6am-YUCK!!!

I think I've worked out a design for my ATC's but I need to go to Michael's for paper/ribbon since my SU! order is stuck in Union City until probably Friday or Saturday (see earlier post-bummer). Still trying to figure out my swap-it's coming together. Next is shoebox swap-no idea there. Stamped gift, think I have an idea there with all the earlier coffee talk. No, it's not a Starbuck's giftcard. You'll have to wait-heh, heh:rolleyes: FLASH: got an idea for my name tag! Remember the comic with the paperbag over his head? I've got shopping bags, I'll just cut out eyes, nose & mouth and stamp that sucker!! Yeah, OK, dumb idea-I'll think of something. As I recall, Kathy-our lovely hostess-said, "Slow & steady wins the race." Think turtles...

Ohhh...I'm soooo happy to know we'll get to celebrate Kathy's birthday. You are so nice to put on this event on your birthday. What a gal!!!

Can't wait for the 5th! Who's excited? Me, me, me and, oh, me too

Nighty-night ladies. Til tomorrow...Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #291  
Pearl-ExPert

Puffin, my birthday was in May, but like Disneyland, when it's the big 5-0, I guess I can celebrate all year long if I want. LOL

I remember drive-ins. Getting in the station wagon in your pj's so mom and dad didn't have to dress wet noodles when we came home late. We went down and played in the playground down in front of the screen before the movie started. Big pajama party. Hey...., no on second thought, don't anybody come on the 5th in their pj's - it's only cute on kids.

I wonder if there are any drive-ins left anywhere? I like your backyard "walk-in" though.

~ Kathy

Last edited by ikimom; 07-25-2006 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: I just can't stand looking at my own typo's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:43 AM   #292  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I certainly think you are using your time off wisely ! This "rendezvous" looks like it's gonna be quite a successful shindig. I am excited to hear there will be so much information from Convention -- the timing of this "shindig" is turning out quite well for those of us who are SU fans but not eligible to go to Convention.
WHOO HOOO !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #293  
Gallery Gazer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Quote:

I remember drive-ins. Getting in the station wagon in your pj's so mom and dad didn't have to dress wet noodles when we came home late. We went down and played in the playground down in front of the screen before the movie started. Big pajama party. Hey...., no on second thought, don't anybody come on the 5th in their pj's - it's only cute on kids.

I wonder if there are any drive-ins left anywhere? I like your backyard "walk-in" though.

~ Kathy
Kathy, believe me, you do NOT want to see me in my pj's! It is NOT a pretty sight!

Believe it or not, according to Yahoo Yellow pages, there are still a few drive-ins around here. One in San Jose off Capital Expressway and Hillsdale, and another in Concord near 680 and Hwy 4.

How fun would that be to go to a drive-in movie again. I do remember those days watching from the back of our family station wagon in our pj's. And later as teenagers seeing if we could sneak people in the trunk of the car! Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that! ;-) I should have made an effort to take my kids to a drive-in movie when they were younger. They will never have these memories. :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #294  
Stazon Splitcoast

The Concord one closed for good last year. My DH and I were really bummed as we used to go several time a month. They still hold the nasty flea market there every weekend (sorry if I offend anyone).

I'm so ready for this heat wave to be over. We do have AC but trying to conserve and go with the 80 setting, it is still darn hot in the house. I know my stamp budget will be non-existent when the PG&E bill arrives.

I have my shoebox swap all done and in a box. Now to get to my swaps and a nametag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 05:49 PM   #295  

Our last drive-in up here closed last year. We never went as kids, but DH's family did. I went once in high school with a group of camp junior counselors. We saw the remake (1979???) version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It STUNK! LOL! Fun experience though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #296  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hopefully everyone is busy stamping or cooling off somewhere. This heat has to stop. My cat is a grumpy girl and showed it by pooping on the dog bed this weekend. Thanks, nothing like a pissed off dog and cat at 2 am!

I need to get going on my card swamps. I'm at work right now doodling out some designs, I have the stamps and colors picked, just need a design.

Take Care everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #297  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

It's much better this afternoon here in Milpitas!! It's "only" in the low 90s!

Doesn't feel like much humidity and a light breeze.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #298  
Matboard Maniac

Hello from the peninsula!

The fog rolled in last night - and when I walked home during lunch, I saw it hanging over the hill. What a relief!!! We have a nice breeze this afternoon and it's still pleasant, but not quite so hot!

Thank goodness it's not supposed to be quite so hot this weekend - I was so "fried" last weekend that I could hardly concentrate on stamping...and I need to get going on my swaps and shoebox project for the event on August 5!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #299  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

More sacrifices for the Fog gods!!!!!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 02:20 PM   #300  

Still over 100 here.... We might hit 100 again tomorrow. They are saying 98 for Friday and low to mid 90s by Sunday. Monday we may <GASP!> not get into the 90's! YAY!!!! The yard might get some tending to! LOL!

Trying to decide whether to see Pirates or My Super Ex-Girlfriend tonight.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #301  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
More sacrifices for the Fog gods!!!!!
Toss the "Delta Breeze" gods a bone while you're at it....... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #302  
Polyshrink Goddess

Does anyone have the address for the Fog and Delta Breez gods? We're all stampers, lets send them a card or two!!! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #303  
Kookie Creator

Default swap cards

Hey everyone....like you all we're melting here in the heat with no a/c! I'm trying to get inspired to start all this planning....

quick question on the swaps. Do you all put them in plastic bags or how do you handle them so they dont get ruined?

We're up to 11 at final count right for the swap?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #304  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Puffin, my birthday was in May, but like Disneyland, when it's the big 5-0, I guess I can celebrate all year long if I want. LOL

~ Kathy
Hey Kathy...the best thing about my backyard walk-in is the snack bar. It's fully stocked, no lines and serves booze! Wooohoooo!!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2006, 08:10 AM   #305  
Matboard Maniac

Hello,

Thought I would answer the questions about the card swap. It looks like we're still holding at 11 - I'll be sure to post a reply if the number changes. With regard to putting the swaps in a plastic bag, or clear envelope, it's not a requirement. I usually bring my swaps in a large Ziplock bag and put the swaps that I receive in the bag so they don't get ruined.
Hope that everyone has a great weekend!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #306  

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrismarra613
Hello,

Thought I would answer the questions about the card swap. It looks like we're still holding at 11 - I'll be sure to post a reply if the number changes. With regard to putting the swaps in a plastic bag, or clear envelope, it's not a requirement. I usually bring my swaps in a large Ziplock bag and put the swaps that I receive in the bag so they don't get ruined.
Hope that everyone has a great weekend!

I hope we're holding at 11 or darn close, cuz my cards are almost DONE! WOO HOO!!!! DH arrives home tomorrow at 8PM so I will have no time for stampin this weekend! I think we have about 60 hours of stuff crammed into the 44 hours that he's home!

My card used beads, so I have mine in clear envies to help contain the shedding that always occurs with beads! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #307  
Rubber Obsessor

Howdy all,

So much to do, so little time. Quick question: On the shoebox swap, is it enough supplies for 6 or 8? I think I asked before, but my brain is still recovering from that heat wave. Thanks, Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #308  
Pearl-ExPert

To clarify for all:
  • Shoebox Swap should include supplies for 6 people to make the project (include a few extras for booboos - although we are all fabulous stampers, it happens)
  • The Card Swap has been split into two groups - make 11 cards.
  • The ATC Swap is one group - make 12 ATCs.
  • Don't forget to bring a Door Prize (really a gift exchange) of an item worth $3-5. Something you have stamped and be sure to put your name on a slip somewhere with the item or even sign your work of art. These will be randomly distributed throughout the day. It's a just for fun thing (um, well, I guess it all is! haha).

~ Kathy (event hostess)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #309  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink THANKS!

Thanks, Kathy, for a perfect clarification. I printed it out so I won't forget.
Have a great day!
Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 06:56 PM   #310  
Rubber Obsessor

Kathy...one more thing. I just looked back at the early posts. We know your address from the reg form but what is the address of the Rendezvous? Is it on the same street? I can MapQuest it if I have the address. If you already posted this info, my apologies. Probably zoned out ;-)
Thanks, Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 11:26 PM   #311  
Pearl-ExPert

Puffin - the email I sent everyone confirming your registration and payment had an attachment with instructions on how to get here and the address of the event. I'll send it to you again.

Anyone else not get the info? Not sure if you all could open the attachment. Let me know and I can just sent the info directly in the email not as an attachment.

T-Minus one week and counting...!!!

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 06:41 AM   #312  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face EVENT LOCATION

Quote:

Puffin - the email I sent everyone confirming your registration and payment had an attachment with instructions on how to get here and the address of the event. I'll send it to you again.

Anyone else not get the info? Not sure if you all could open the attachment. Let me know and I can just sent the info directly in the email not as an attachment.

T-Minus one week and counting...!!!

~ Kathy
Thanks once again, Kathy. I'll watch for the email. I save all my important SCS emails to an SCS folder. I'll check it; perhaps I put it in the folder without reading thoroughly. Have a great day! Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #313  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up DIRECTIONS

Kathy,

I got the confirmation & directions email. Printed AND saved to SCS folder. Now gotta get to stampin'.

Thanks again...Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #314  
Pearl-ExPert

Confession: So that no one thinks Puffin "zoned out", I confess it was me that forgot to send her the original e-mail. I checked all my "Sent" e-mails, and didn't find one to her. So sorry Vicki. :oops:

Everyone - don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions or need more info.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 01:55 PM   #315  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink

No problem, Kathy. Please don't worry about it. Even though I didn't 'zone out' this time, doesn't mean I don't at other times. Just ask my DH!! :mrgreen: Workin' on my shoebox swap right now. I have this funny little feeling that I'll be working on some part of our get together right up to the moment I leave the house on the 5th...YIKES!!!

Take care all...Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:07 PM   #316  
Kookie Creator

Default shoebox question

Can the shoebox project be a "non-card" item?

I haven't even started any of my stuff...will be crazy week!!! Trying to at least nail down my designs this weekend so all I have to do is cut/make them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 07:50 AM   #317  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to khowardga

I'm so jealous!!! I would love to come meet all your from the Tri-Valley area. I used to live in Pleasanton and Livermore up until 6 yrs ago when I moved to GA. I am having a SCS get together the same day...great minds think alike!!!

Have a great time!

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 08:39 AM   #318  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinakim
Can the shoebox project be a "non-card" item?

I haven't even started any of my stuff...will be crazy week!!! Trying to at least nail down my designs this weekend so all I have to do is cut/make them.
Yes, shoebox project can be a non-card item. As long as it can be finished in 25 minutes. That's quite a bit of time to do something when paper is pre-cut and everything is ready to stamp and put together (except for cutting out stamped images).

Some of the get togethers have 10 minute projects, but I want more quality items than quantity. Plus, more time to mingle and chat and... view the slide show of photos Jennifer/citycooks took at the convention - especially all the example boards! Wow, so much inspiration, I had a sneak peak when I met her a week ago.

And Tina, in your case... more time to relax after a hectic week!

~ Kathy (event hostess)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #319  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by khowardga
I'm so jealous!!! I would love to come meet all your from the Tri-Valley area. I used to live in Pleasanton and Livermore up until 6 yrs ago when I moved to GA. I am having a SCS get together the same day...great minds think alike!!!

Have a great time!
Hi Kim, we will post photos of our event in the gallery the week after. Would you like me to include any photos of the area that you miss? I'll look forward to seeing pics of your event, too!

Wishing you smear-free stamping and glittery good fun - You go GA Girl!

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #320  
Stazon Splitcoast

The day is almost here. I finished my card swap today, just have to type of the recipe. Now I just need a gift and a name tag. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoyed the great weather this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes