Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cardluver!
One thing that wasn't mentioned in the post was stamp cleaning pads. Should we plan to bring our own? I have done shoebox swaps before and I just used old damp washcloths folded on plastic plates. I can bring about 15 washcloths (I don't have 20) and 20 plastic plates if you'd like? I'm not sure how you'll have the tables set up, but every 2 people might me able to share washcloths. Let me know if you'd like me to help with this.

Another tip that I like to encourage my stampers to do is to place their shoebox sample cards in a clear acrylic frame. I use the 5 x 7 acrylic frames shaped like an L that you just slide photos in from the sides. You can find these at the Dollar Store, Wall-Mart etc. for about a buck. The frame protects the sample card from being messed up while others are doing the project. It also displays the card so well because it will stand alone in a small space where several people could see the card at once while working to create that project. Even if the sample card is laid out as a landscape view or a portrait view, I just slide the sample card in the upper portion of the frame to display it (The landscape layout will stick out of each side, but the frame will stay standing better this way and it will be easier to view the card because it will be standing up off the table) I always suggest that my stampers bring their samples in a frame like this. Just a suggestion.
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=16494

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Crimping Master

Bergstamper, Thanks for the tips. I was at the Baltimore swap this weekend and picked up some tips as well. I was planning on bringing stacks of babywipes and putting them on plates as they did in Baltimore, but washcloths might work better. Feel free to bring and we'll try them out.

As far as placing cards in acrylic frames, I'm going to leave that up to the swapper themselves. I've seen samples in acrylic frames, ziplock baggies, in clear SU! envelopes, taped on the inside of a large, clear 'shoebox' so you can see it through the box and also just thrown in the box with all the supplies. I've heard from other people about different ways that they prefer to look at thier swaps and i've come to the conclusion that everyone seems to like it a different way, so at least for now, I think i'll leave that up to the swapper.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the washclothes !!
Crimping Master

Hi there everyone, I just wanted to let you know that as we get closer to the swap I will be posting notes here about how things will work out once you show up that morning. Basically, I'll have a large ziplock for you with all the things you'll need such as a name tag, number for your box, a roster, a list of the swaps so you can mark what you've done, etc. I'll remind you to bring your adhesive, scissors and anything else you think you can't live without.

One thing we are considering is rather than having shoeboxes on one central table and having 4 people sit together all day, and go up and get shoeboxes as they need them, that we'd leave like 2 shoeboxes per table and then have the people move seats as needed. This is also a great opportunity to meet and chat with folks that you haven't met yet. We haven't decided on anything yet but we'll let you know when we do.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you.
Polyshrink Goddess

Rose-Ellen and Anna,
WOW! We all owe you many thanks for all your are doing to make this the best experience ever. Thanks so much for all the thought you are putting into this. I can tell you are on top of things.
I like the other great suggestions you listed for displaying our sample cards. These are great suggestions for saving our samples from being messed up and for displaying the cards as needed.
I will plan to bring washcloths and plactic plates for stamp cleaning. Let me know if you think of anything else I can do. Happy to help, Nan

Crimping Master

Hi all, Just wanted to update that I received registration forms and payment today from Nan P. and Chris M. so i marked you paid in post #1. Thank you Ladies!
Stampin' Fool

Can you put me on the waiting list?? I'm willing to come home early from the Outer Banks to attend! Thanks to Joan B, I saw this on her blog! Do you want me to mail payment to hold my waiting list spot? Thanks - this sounds like a blast!

Donna
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by teastamper
Can you put me on the waiting list?? I'm willing to come home early from the Outer Banks to attend! Thanks to Joan B, I saw this on her blog! Do you want me to mail payment to hold my waiting list spot? Thanks - this sounds like a blast!
Terri, you are too funny. Yes, I'll put you on the wait list and no, you don't have to pay until/unless someone cancels and you are put on the actual list. I'll pm you if that happens.

Thanks for signing up.
Crimping Master

Just an update that I received registration forms and payments from Consuelo H and Ann M today. I've marked you as 'paid' on the list. Can't wait to meet you!!
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. I'm impressed. This is sooo much better organized than the swap I did in May. Thanks so much! I have been thinking and thinking of a card but so far have zero inspiration!!
Crimping Master

Joan, I heard your shoebox swap was a blast, so you've set a high bar for me. I'm actually toying with some door prizes right now. Once (or IF) I get some more info on that I'll let everyone know, but wouldn't door prizes be nice??
Crimping Master

Just a quick post to update that I got a registration form and payment from Janna U. I'm so excited about this, I guess I'd better start working on a card idea!! Have a great weekend.
Stazon Splitcoast

Door prizes would be great and I would gladly donate one. Just let us know
Gabfest Goddess

ohmygosh I didn't realize this was already full!! Can you waitlist us, Please!!!

sherristampsalot (Sherri)
pnindazz (Stacy)
stampin4u (Melanie)

We'd be coming together from Williamsburg so we're kinda all or nothing... Is there any possiblity of extending the time an hour or two...then more swappers could be added? Sounds like you're uber-organized and it's gonna be a blast! Our first showbox swap was the one at Joan's last year...mega fun!
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Door prizes would be great and I would gladly donate one. Just let us know
Ditto. I'd be happy to make something to use! :-D
Crimping Master

Question Question about more time/people/cards??

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherristampsalot
ohmygosh I didn't realize this was already full!! Can you waitlist us, Please!!!

sherristampsalot (Sherri)
pnindazz (Stacy)
stampin4u (Melanie)

We'd be coming together from Williamsburg so we're kinda all or nothing... Is there any possiblity of extending the time an hour or two...then more swappers could be added? Sounds like you're uber-organized and it's gonna be a blast! Our first showbox swap was the one at Joan's last year...mega fun!
Hi there Sherri, I put you and your friends on the waitlist (you can keep an eye on it in the original post) and I'll make a note that it's an 'all or nothing' thing since you're travelling together.

As far as timing of the event goes, I can check into extending it, but I know that the FD has an event in the hall that evening and they need set up time. If I were able to extend it then I'd have to make sure that people chipped in at the end of the event to help clean up so we don't go over our allotted time. I'll check and see what our drop-dead time is for clearing out of there, but I can't promise any changes in time at this point.

Now, with that said....

EVERYONE, would you be opposed to adding on an extra hour and being able to include 5 more people/cards at the swap? Like I said, I'm NOT SURE that the Fire Department's schedule will allow this, but I can always try. What are your thoughts??

Thanks,
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardLuver
EVERYONE, would you be opposed to adding on an extra hour and being able to include 5 more people/cards at the swap? Like I said, I'm NOT SURE that the Fire Department's schedule will allow this, but I can always try. What are your thoughts??
Adding an extra hour and including 5 more people sounds good to me. The more the merrier! :-D

I can stay late and help you clean up!

Vera
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Thanks,
I agree with Vera - the more, the merrier! :-D I can stay to clean up too.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

If we can, I think it would be great to add the extra hour and include more people.

My gallery
--- My blog: Inking Aloud
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Hi there Sherri, I put you and your friends on the waitlist (you can keep an eye on it in the original post) and I'll make a note that it's an 'all or nothing' thing since you're travelling together.

As far as timing of the event goes, I can check into extending it, but I know that the FD has an event in the hall that evening and they need set up time. If I were able to extend it then I'd have to make sure that people chipped in at the end of the event to help clean up so we don't go over our allotted time. I'll check and see what our drop-dead time is for clearing out of there, but I can't promise any changes in time at this point.

Now, with that said....

Thanks,
Aw...so sweet of you to consider it! THANKS! And we'd definitely help with clean up, too! I'll keep an eye on the thread!
(Melanie and Stacy, I just volunteered us!! )
Stazon Splitcoast

YES for Sherri and her pals absopositively!!! How many swaps do I need to make!! Oh no!
Rubber Obsessor

Default Wishin and hopin and prayin hehehe

Hi everyone!

I sure hope that it works out that we can do this swap ... the last one was so much fun fun fun! And I love the ideas and meeting new stampers!

Cant wait to get the verdict hehehe!

Cheers!
Polyshrink Goddess

The more the merrier. By the way, have you checked out the galleries of the participants? There are some really talented people comming. This is going to be a blast!

Polyshrink Goddess

I�ve been thinking long and hard and I finally decided what I plan to share for the shoebox swap. I know I�ve got plenty of time but I wanted to decide so I�ll know what I need to order. And I'm getting pretty excited about possibily having 24 different cards and stamping together and meeting people. This is going to be a blast. I just uploaded my sample using the Voila set. See it here: com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=509557&cat=7191 Notice that I included many detailed instructions in case you want to make more cards like these or if you�d just like a reference. I know there are lots of details, but don�t worry because I also made a large step by step instruction sheet with pictures just for the shoebox swap! Now I�ve just got to cut out and prepare for possibly 24 and a few extras of them! I am super excited about this event!

Stampin' Fool

I love your card and I love that chef set - it's on my wish list! I hope I get to come and make it (I'm on the waitlist)!

Donna
Gabfest Goddess

Has there been any word from the fire dept on the time?
Are we in? (big cheesy grin!!!!):mrgreen:
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergstamper
I�ve been thinking long and hard and I finally decided what I plan to share for the shoebox swap. I know I�ve got plenty of time but I wanted to decide so I�ll know what I need to order. And I'm getting pretty excited about possibily having 24 different cards and stamping together and meeting people. This is going to be a blast. I just uploaded my sample using the Voila set. See it here: com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=509557&cat=7191 Notice that I included many detailed instructions in case you want to make more cards like these or if you�d just like a reference. I know there are lots of details, but don�t worry because I also made a large step by step instruction sheet with pictures just for the shoebox swap! Now I�ve just got to cut out and prepare for possibly 24 and a few extras of them! I am super excited about this event!
I can't stop. Now I changed it a little to add a chalk board.
Voila with Chalkboard: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=510403&cat=500&ppuser=16494
Photo instructions here: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...2&cat=7191
Also for written masking details see this thread: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...d.php?t=235005

Crimping Master

Default GREAT NEWS !!!

Hi Everyone, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you about this but I've been up to my knees in a silent auction fundraiser for my children's preschool. We're pretty close to the event now and my part is mostly done so I'm BAAAACKKK!

Anyway just wanted to let you all know that we ARE able to have an extra hour of stamping at the fire department and we ARE going to open this up to 5 more people.

This means that we will be stamping in the hall from 9am until 3pm.

That also means that instead of having enough supplies for 20 people/cards, you need to make sure you bring enough for 25.

I will move the people on the waiting list to the regular list and then PM them to make sure they really are interested. This gives us 1 more spot to fill before we start adding people to the waiting list again, so if you know someone that is interested in coming have them contact me quickly.

One other announcement is that we�ve decided that we WILL DO DOOR PRIZES. If you have anything that you�d like to donate as a door prize, please pm me or e-mail me and let me know. This can be anything from extra SAB or hostess sets or even new current sets you may have, to some handmade cards to embellishments or candles or something altered or whatever you�d like to bring. Be creative and have fun.

Don�t forget to send me your payment as soon as you can, so I can change your reservation from �tentative� to �paid�.

I�m really looking forward to this swap and I can�t wait to meet all of you !
Crimping Master

Default received payment

I wanted to update that I received a registration form and payment from Brandi G. so I'll change you from tentative to paid.

Thanks for the beautiful card too!! I love it!!
Stampin' Fool

Yeah! I'm so excited - it will be a great way to end my vacation! I'll get my registration and payment in the mail to you tonight. Thanks so much!

Donna
Polyshrink Goddess

I was just doing the math. We will be there a total of 6 hours. Lets just say we take 30 minutes at the beginning to assemble together and explain everything and then we take a 15 minute break for lunch. That would leave us about 13 minutes time at each project to complete all 24 different cards (I say 24 because I won't plan to make my own shoebox project). This allotted time seems perfect to me. But just in case, I plan to pre-assemble some of the steps in my project so that I don't hold people up.

I think when preparing your shoebox project you might want to consider pre-stamping or pre-assembling a portion of it (especially if you have a time consuming project).

Also, I plan to include instructions in my shoebox. I'm sure most of us are experienced stampers, but even experienced stampers appreciate helpful assembly tips you can offer that will help us along the way.

Stazon Splitcoast

If my main image is going to be stamped in waterproof ink, I am going to prestamp just that, to avoid wasting time waiting for it to really dry, and also to avoid wear and tear on that poor stamp!! However, this is all speculative as I have NO design as of yet!!
Gabfest Goddess

yay Yay YAY!! Thanks so much for adjusting the time!!! We're excited and can't wait til then! Now...to design a card...
Crimping Master

Bergstamper,
Thanks for your helpful tips along the way. To make some corrections though, we will NOT be taking 30 minutes at the start to assemble and explain things. I don�t want your posting to confuse some people that I have been pm�ing, with information contradictory to your posting. For the record, a few days before the event, I will be sending out an explanation of how things will work that morning once people arrive. We will begin stamping right away and allowing as much stamping time for those that need/want it. For those that stamp faster they can have as much chatting time as they wish. I appreciate that you plan on pre-stamping some steps in your project so you don�t feel like you are holding people up. Anna and I have given this �pre-stamping� idea a lot of thought over the past month or more of planning this event and we�ve decided that we will mention this concept to people once we have the sign ups full but we will leave it up to people�s discretion, knowing that some cards will take more than the average time and some will take much less (and all of them will be fantastic!!).
Our goal here is (to steal a line from SU!) to �share what we love� and that includes introducing people to new products and techniques that they might not have used before. I know that I learned a lot from the last shoebox swap that I attended just by being able to try out products and techniques that I hadn�t tried before (watercolor crayons, mesh, crop-a-dile, crayon resist and much more). If I had been given pre-stamped pieces with everything done, and just asked to assemble the cards a certain way, I don�t know that I would have enjoyed the �new� product/technique as much. Also, I will be asking/reminding people to bring instructions on building their card to make it easier for stampers that might need it.
Anyway, I just wanted you to rest-assured that we�ve taken lots of things into consideration, including timing for each card, and breaks for lunch, chatting time, etc, and will be publishing more info on that as we get a full roster, or as we get closer to the event. Thanks again for all your enthusiasm!!

Everyone,
If you have any suggestions, or question about the event, please feel free to pm me here, or e-mail me. Anna and I have really done a good bit of planning and while we�d love your input, this is the first event that we are hosting and we wouldn�t want to confuse everyone with lots of posts about many different suggestions/ideas that might not come to fruition. We�re always available for any questions about this event, so please don�t hesitate to contact us.

Happy Stamping Everyone!! I can�t wait to meet all of you in person, but until then, keep your eyes out for my other postings and have fun coming up with your creation!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:

I was just doing the math. We will be there a total of 6 hours. Lets just say we take 30 minutes at the beginning to assemble together and explain everything and then we take a 15 minute break for lunch. That would leave us about 13 minutes time at each project to complete all 24 different cards (I say 24 because I won't plan to make my own shoebox project). This allotted time seems perfect to me. But just in case, I plan to pre-assemble some of the steps in my project so that I don't hold people up.

I think when preparing your shoebox project you might want to consider pre-stamping or pre-assembling a portion of it (especially if you have a time consuming project).

Also, I plan to include instructions in my shoebox. I'm sure most of us are experienced stampers, but even experienced stampers appreciate helpful assembly tips you can offer that will help us along the way.
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherristampsalot
yay Yay YAY!! Thanks so much for adjusting the time!!! We're excited and can't wait til then! Now...to design a card...
We're all so excited that you and pnindazz and stampin4u can join us!! I'm really having a hard time waiting for a full day of stamping all these new and different cards. Let me know if i can answer any questions.
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Thank you for posting those clarifications Rose-Ellen! We are both really excited to meet all of you who will be attending. I just want to reinterate that the specifics of our swap will be sent out to all those participating the week prior to our event. We want to allow time for our roster to be full. It doesn't look like that will be a problem, which is so exciting!!! Until then have a wonderful time stamping!

Anna

Last edited by princessannabanana; 03-26-2007 at 01:57 PM..
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh No! I just want to say that I’m really sorry if I hurt any feeling with my post. This event is super organized and I recognize that a lot of thought and effort is going into making it the best. I greatly appreciate all you are doing and I certainly didn’t mean to imply that I was writing the way it should or will be done. I said “Let’s just say…” only as a way to get a feel for the time line so I could do the math in my mind. My post was purely hypothetical.

As for pre-stamping or other preparing ahead of time, I actually spent some time last night finishing preparation for my shoebox, so this was fresh on my mind. I already did some time saving things to help speed the flow of my card. Like you said, I wouldn’t want to take away from any technique experience, but I did choose to do some of the mindless time consuming details that will save some time. When you get to my card I think you’ll be glad that I did it this way.

Thanks for sharing so many other great details with us. Everything sounds absolutely perfect and well thought out. I didn’t mean to rush you.

I really have been excited about the swap; it’s obvious since I’m already ready to go! Thanks again for all your hard work and thoughtfulness, Nan

Stazon Splitcoast

Rose-Ellen and Anna -- Thanks!! I can't wait. I so appreciate your taking the time to do this and make all the plans.
Crimping Master

Smile

Quote:

Oh No! I just want to say that I�m really sorry if I hurt any feeling with my post. This event is super organized and I recognize that a lot of thought and effort is going into making it the best. I greatly appreciate all you are doing and I certainly didn�t mean to imply that I was writing the way it should or will be done. I said �Let�s just say�� only as a way to get a feel for the time line so I could do the math in my mind. My post was purely hypothetical.

As for pre-stamping or other preparing ahead of time, I actually spent some time last night finishing preparation for my shoebox, so this was fresh on my mind. I already did some time saving things to help speed the flow of my card. Like you said, I wouldn�t want to take away from any technique experience, but I did choose to do some of the mindless time consuming details that will save some time. When you get to my card I think you�ll be glad that I did it this way.

Thanks for sharing so many other great details with us. Everything sounds absolutely perfect and well thought out. I didn�t mean to rush you.

I really have been excited about the swap; it�s obvious since I�m already ready to go! Thanks again for all your hard work and thoughtfulness, Nan
No, no hurt feellings. Just trying to avoid confusion between what questions I've answered via PM and/or e-mail, and what's being posted on the thread. I'm not trying to stop people from posting; I love the ideas, but I don't want people to be confused if they show up expecting something a certain way and then its not really that way.

As for preparing ahead of time, I think its a great idea if you're doing a complicated card, but I wouldn't want anyone to be dissappointed if they missed out on a technique, or have a relatively new stamper think that they HAD to pre-stamp or do more than they needed to do.

I'm really glad that you're so excited and enthusiastic. I know I am too!!
Crimping Master

Default Received payment from.....

......Terri A so i've changed you from 'tentative' to 'paid'.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!
Crimping Master

Default It's so quiet on here.....

....I hope people aren't scared off from posting on here. I didn't mean to imply that people couldn't post. Well, maybe its just a quiet day out there. Anyone have any ideas on what they are going to create or is it just to early? For me, its to early, I still have to get through the preschool's silent auction, teacher appreciation luncheon, church retreat (where I'm going to stamp with this bunch of ladies for the first time - WAHOO!!), two stamp classes, attend a regular stamp club date, throw a birthday party for one of my daughters, and a few other things as well. I am feeling creative today so maybe I can work on this tonight.

Hope everyone else is having a great day too!