Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:13 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Creative Storage

I'm always looking for clever and creative ways to store the MOUNTAINS of crafting supplies that I have (and yet still continue to buy). From brads and eyelets to buttons & ribbons, these items seem to take over my space without any real clever way to store them so I can see what I have, and most importantly remember where they are when I need them.

Do you have any interesting items that you have found that aren't necessarily made for craft supply storage, but you've found they work wonderfully for that application? The more economical the better.

TIA

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my eyelets and brads, I got these tic-tac like storage containers from W*Mart in the jewelry making section. They were about $4. I like these because not only can I see exactly what I have, but I don't take a chance in spilling them.

For ribbons and other embellishments, I was storing them together with like things (like all the ribbons in one box, etc) but found I had to dig to find what I was looking for. So I recently bought more Iris Cart drawers, which is how I store my loose stamps, ink pads, embossing powders etc, and made a drawer for each color. So one drawer for pink, one for green... Then I put all the embellishments that were that color in that drawer. So now when I'm making a pink card and want a pink ribbon or pink prima or pink bauble, I only have to look in the one drawer and I can find just what I'm looking for. I find I'm using these embellishments so much more now.

For ribbon, I had so much and most of them are small pieces, so it wasn't worth trying to keep them on the spools. Instead I bought some small zip top bags (3 x 4" I think) and put each piece of ribbon in it's own baggie. Then those bags go in the drawer. I got the bags on ebay. They were about $3 for 100.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I just set up a craft room a few months ago and am still tweaking it. I like your idea of sorting everything by color instead of ribbon here, brads there, etc.. Your right, when you do a pink card you want to see all your pink things. I may do a little rearranging this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:41 AM   #4  

WOW...awesome ideas there. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
For my eyelets and brads, I got these tic-tac like storage containers from W*Mart in the jewelry making section. They were about $4. I like these because not only can I see exactly what I have, but I don't take a chance in spilling them.

For ribbons and other embellishments, I was storing them together with like things (like all the ribbons in one box, etc) but found I had to dig to find what I was looking for. So I recently bought more Iris Cart drawers, which is how I store my loose stamps, ink pads, embossing powders etc, and made a drawer for each color. So one drawer for pink, one for green... Then I put all the embellishments that were that color in that drawer. So now when I'm making a pink card and want a pink ribbon or pink prima or pink bauble, I only have to look in the one drawer and I can find just what I'm looking for. I find I'm using these embellishments so much more now.

For ribbon, I had so much and most of them are small pieces, so it wasn't worth trying to keep them on the spools. Instead I bought some small zip top bags (3 x 4" I think) and put each piece of ribbon in it's own baggie. Then those bags go in the drawer. I got the bags on ebay. They were about $3 for 100.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I have recycled jars for primas and silk flowers, so they're all sorted and organized on a shelf. For small things like brads, eyelets, sequins... I use these clear round divided containers from Gander Mtn. in the fishing area. They work really well for separating colors, they don't get mixed up, and you can see what's inside. Each compartment has it's own flip top lid that snaps shut really well. For ribbons, I have them on dowels on a converted shoe shelf, so they're all right there easy to get to. They do get messy after a while with all the loose ends hanging down, but they're all in one spot. This is all I can think of right now, but hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Default storage

I have the tool organziers that you can get almost anywhere, target , homedepot etc. ...it is a unit with tons of little drawers, I organized mine say red brads in front, red eyelets in the back (little divider)
I think joanns sells them now too. just smaller..you can get I think up to 48 drawers in 1 unit.
I also use embroidery cases for thread..clear or milky cases that have lots of little spaces..can seperate tons of stuff and label the front and stack them on a shelf. I have a bunch of pics of my craft room in my gallery, you may get some ideas from there..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

It is a bit pricey but I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my "Clip It UP" I have the base in addition to the add on tier. I did a search in the BST forum and found someone who needed to sell theirs at a discount. I use different size jewelry zip lock type baggies to seperate my embellishments by color. Here is a link...

http://www.clipitup.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #8  

Bump...need more ideas.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

my ribbon is stored on 4x4 coasters. i stand these up like books in my drawer. you can see everything at once. of course it is grouped by color. all holidays in the back row.
stampin up ribbon stays right on my work table-in a photo box turned up on its side-easy viewing/access.
i had tired many ways to group my embellishments. the current/best way --i have small clear drawers on a bookcase. in one drawer is all my brads(not SU). each color brad has its own plastic bag. one drawer is plain brads one drawer is shaped brads.
all eyelets are stored the same way. by color in zip loc bags then in one drawer.
prims have their own drawer. as does buttons.
my paper is in 2 3 drawer filing cabinets. by color family. then non stampin up paper sorted by color.
12x12 paper in great hard clear plastic "drawer" type containers-these sit on top of said cabinets
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #10  

What awesome ideas. Love the coaster ribbon idea...genious!

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
my ribbon is stored on 4x4 coasters. i stand these up like books in my drawer. you can see everything at once. of course it is grouped by color. all holidays in the back row.
stampin up ribbon stays right on my work table-in a photo box turned up on its side-easy viewing/access.
i had tired many ways to group my embellishments. the current/best way --i have small clear drawers on a bookcase. in one drawer is all my brads(not SU). each color brad has its own plastic bag. one drawer is plain brads one drawer is shaped brads.
all eyelets are stored the same way. by color in zip loc bags then in one drawer.
prims have their own drawer. as does buttons.
my paper is in 2 3 drawer filing cabinets. by color family. then non stampin up paper sorted by color.
12x12 paper in great hard clear plastic "drawer" type containers-these sit on top of said cabinets

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

we go through a lot of bacon bits and Frappucinno....both make great containers for storing small embellishments like brads and eyelets. They don't take up a lot of space and you can sort things by color.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I look at thrift shops and garage sales like a kid opening a toybox. There are soooo many possibilities out there. Some of my large spools of ribbon are on dowels on a rifle rack. The very small spools fit nicely in some wooden cassette holders. My acrylic blocks, stamp positioner, and card templates are in a large clear acrylic cosmetic organizer. My dies and embossing folders are in an old 8-track storage rack. I currently have more Pampered Chef style lazy Susans than I know what to do with....but I'll come up with something. My rolls of paper are in some tall wired bin on wheels that was perhaps intended for dirty laundry or sports balls. The largest of my paper organizers (used for mounted stamp storage) were probably mail bins at some business. It ain't pretty, but I'm not trying out for the Martha Stewart show (and the rest of the house looks pretty darn neat).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #13  

Bwahaha...Martha would faint is she walked into my craft space. :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
I look at thrift shops and garage sales like a kid opening a toybox. There are soooo many possibilities out there. Some of my large spools of ribbon are on dowels on a rifle rack. The very small spools fit nicely in some wooden cassette holders. My acrylic blocks, stamp positioner, and card templates are in a large clear acrylic cosmetic organizer. My dies and embossing folders are in an old 8-track storage rack. I currently have more Pampered Chef style lazy Susans than I know what to do with....but I'll come up with something. My rolls of paper are in some tall wired bin on wheels that was perhaps intended for dirty laundry or sports balls. The largest of my paper organizers (used for mounted stamp storage) were probably mail bins at some business. It ain't pretty, but I'm not trying out for the Martha Stewart show (and the rest of the house looks pretty darn neat).

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #14  

I too love the frap bottles as containers. My DH drinks one everyday, so I have an unlimited supply. :twisted: Mine holds buttons and primas right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tami MayberryView Post
we go through a lot of bacon bits and Frappucinno....both make great containers for storing small embellishments like brads and eyelets. They don't take up a lot of space and you can sort things by color.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I have fallen in love with these ribbon holders from organizemore.com
He also has stamp set holders, ink pad holders and other cute ideas.

Ann
Attached Thumbnails
Creative Storage-301_tn.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to keep my supplies in photo-storage boxes. I write on the little label what's in there (ink, brads, adhesives, etc.) and then I can stack them on my shelves. Not too creative, but it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #17  

Wow...would I love to have a wall full of these holders!

Quote:

Originally Posted by my3girlsksmView Post
I have fallen in love with these ribbon holders from organizemore.com
He also has stamp set holders, ink pad holders and other cute ideas.

Ann

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #18  

It's all about what works for you, right? I love that the photo storage boxes now days are to pretty to begin with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I like to keep my supplies in photo-storage boxes. I write on the little label what's in there (ink, brads, adhesives, etc.) and then I can stack them on my shelves. Not too creative, but it works for me.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Lynn!!
My favorite storage thing is a 2-tiered basket, you know, the ones for putting fruit in. It works perfectly to hold all those adhesives, cleaners, and other things you want on hand all the time, but don't want sitting on your desk. (and its pretty! )
I also use the photo boxes to store lots of stuff. They stack neatly and can be labeled on the front.
Wire shower baskets are perfect for small paper pads, scraps, and card storage.
The other thing I love is baskets and buckets from the $1 spot at Target.
I love this thread-great idea!

MFT Design Team
Paper Crafts and Scrapbooking Magazine Go-To-Gal
Carta Bella Design Team
Maya Road Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #20  

Those baskets are a wonderful idea...and economical too. A BONUS in my book. Thanks Kimberly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly CrawfordView Post
Hi Lynn!!
My favorite storage thing is a 2-tiered basket, you know, the ones for putting fruit in. It works perfectly to hold all those adhesives, cleaners, and other things you want on hand all the time, but don't want sitting on your desk. (and its pretty! )
I also use the photo boxes to store lots of stuff. They stack neatly and can be labeled on the front.
Wire shower baskets are perfect for small paper pads, scraps, and card storage.
The other thing I love is baskets and buckets from the $1 spot at Target.
I love this thread-great idea!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I have my ribbon wound around wine corks with an applique pin to secure. They are in a few baskets by colors. Friends help donate, even though they think I'm weird. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Tackleboxes

I love my little tackbox, in fact I was just looking for another matching one.

There are many sizes available...in fact Plano (tackbox manufacturer) started making them in bright colors for craft stores...but I like the red and tan.

Mine has 4 pull-out cases with over a dozen tiny customizable compartments. I took the front panel off, but you can stick it back on if you want to haul it to crops. The 4 compartments on mine are now set up with Hodgepodge in one, colored hardware in another (clips, buttons, wierd things) plain brads in the third and then rhinestone and shaped brads in the 4th. (When the photo was taken I still had a small enough ribbon collection to fit in there!)

I am buying another one to dump all my dew drops in as well as the other odds and ends hardware I have picked up. I don't like having tons of tiny containers around...this is easier and cleaner looking for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Creative Storage-misc-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #23  

Not at all, this is a great solution to those tiny bits of ribbon that are left over. I guess I first need to buy more wine, and get busy....lol

Thanks for the creative idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deebabyView Post
I have my ribbon wound around wine corks with an applique pin to secure. They are in a few baskets by colors. Friends help donate, even though they think I'm weird. ;)

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #24  

What a fabulous tacklebox this is....such nice storage and just goes to show you that the hardware store is the place to look. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
I love my little tackbox, in fact I was just looking for another matching one.

There are many sizes available...in fact Plano (tackbox manufacturer) started making them in bright colors for craft stores...but I like the red and tan.

Mine has 4 pull-out cases with over a dozen tiny customizable compartments. I took the front panel off, but you can stick it back on if you want to haul it to crops. The 4 compartments on mine are now set up with Hodgepodge in one, colored hardware in another (clips, buttons, wierd things) plain brads in the third and then rhinestone and shaped brads in the 4th. (When the photo was taken I still had a small enough ribbon collection to fit in there!)

I am buying another one to dump all my dew drops in as well as the other odds and ends hardware I have picked up. I don't like having tons of tiny containers around...this is easier and cleaner looking for me.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Recently I have found Cracker Jars at WM they have several different sizes and start at $2. I use them for chipboard, ribbon, and buttons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #26  

Very clever. I assume that the Cracker Jars are those you have on your blog?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinky83081View Post
Recently I have found Cracker Jars at WM they have several different sizes and start at $2. I use them for chipboard, ribbon, and buttons.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Loving this thread! Always looking for spaces. Really like organizing embellys by color~I never thot of that!! Ennyhoo, check out the tic tac-like box and the chat was from 2004. Anyone know if this is still available at Wally world??
Thanx much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #28  

I've been looking for these for a long time...they would be so awesome for my copic markers. Be sure to let me know if you find any. :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrampingramView Post
Loving this thread! Always looking for spaces. Really like organizing embellys by color~I never thot of that!! Ennyhoo, check out the tic tac-like box and the chat was from 2004. Anyone know if this is still available at Wally world??
Thanx much.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tami MayberryView Post

I'm going on THAT diet! They do have nice bottles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Lynn~I am confused (not hard to do) how will you use tic tac box like containers with copics??? Not being a smarty here, just confused....:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

IF you all have an IKEA close make a trip!! They have many many different types of glass jars. Great for storage, filling with different things or alter for gifts. The price is amazing between $1-$7 maybe not even that much. Go it is so worth it! 90% of my studio came from IKEA. If you are in AZ there is one in Tempe oh how I would love to meet you there. I love to organize, LOVE IT!! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

I love these ideas that I'm seeing...

I got an over the door towel rack and put it behind my door to hold my ribbons. I just loosened up the bolts and pull the rods out to slide my ribbons spools on. Most spools fit but there are a few that don't quite make it.

For my glitter and embellishments, I got some little magnetic containers off of EBAY and some sheet metal from the hardware store. We painted and stamped the metal and then screwed it into the wall and then I can hang everything on the wall and still be able to see it.

I went to IKEA and got a curtain wire and hung it on the wall above my desk with the curtain hangars and hang my glue/pop dots and inspiration ideas and cards up so that I can see them all the time.

I also got some pegboard and hung behind my desk and got some of the hangars to put on it so I have a roll of paper towels hanging up, my scissors and hole punches fit in some of the holders. I hung towel racks next to my desk to put my larger SU hole punches in by balancing them on the bar.

Hope some of these ideas help...

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

walmart does still sell the tic tac containers that ya'll are talking about
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #34  

Oh what enablers you all are...I love it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetzWView Post
walmart does still sell the tic tac containers that ya'll are talking about

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Lynn, since you have a Harbor Freight in St. Louis check out these boxes. They ar 9" x 6" x 2 1/4" H and inside each box is 12 smaller boxex. They run about $6. I store brads, button, glitter, and alot of my other embellsihments like chipboard parts, dominos, etc. They really help me stay organized.

-1_embesslishemnts_by_stamphappy1650 by stamphappy1650 at Splitcoaststampers
Embellishment Storage by stamphappy1650 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 01:58 AM   #36  

Oh my aren't these wonderful. I've never heard of Harbor Freight...but I'm gonna be checking this place out for sure! Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Lynn, since you have a Harbor Freight in St. Louis check out these boxes. They ar 9" x 6" x 2 1/4" H and inside each box is 12 smaller boxex. They run about $6. I store brads, button, glitter, and alot of my other embellsihments like chipboard parts, dominos, etc. They really help me stay organized.

-1_embesslishemnts_by_stamphappy1650 by stamphappy1650 at Splitcoaststampers
Embellishment Storage by stamphappy1650 at Splitcoaststampers

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

my ribbons (masses of them), are tied on a few bangles which are on a hook attached to the ceiling and dangle over a craft table- they look nice and are accessible.
Jules x

www.fairynuffstuff.co.uk

Do you believe in fairies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a list I have compiled from my Organizational Fridays. I hope some of these are helpful to you. Have a joyous day!

Copic Storage
Colored Pencil Storage
Copic Storage for Travel
Unity & Unmounted Stamp Storage
Mounted Stamp Storage
Nestabilities Storage
Scrap Paper Storage
Patterned Paper Storage
Flowers & Dew Drop Storage
Sketch Storage
Open Bin Storage
Small Embellishment Storage
Ribbon Storage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 05:32 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

WOW! Now theres a list of helpers! Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 05:49 AM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrampingramView Post
WOW! Now theres a list of helpers! Thanks so much!!
You are welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes