Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do old paper craft and scrapbook magazines still sell?

I have a huge collection of both card making and scrapbooks magazines, they are in perfect shape. I am finally ready to get rid of them. I checked ebay and Craigslist listings to see what is selling. I did see some listed on eBay with no offers at least on the ones I looked at, and I haven't seen any listed on Craigslist. I would really like to try to sell them as it is such a large collection. I truly do not know if anyone has any interest in these types of magazines anymore. Any feed back would be helpful. Thank you, Dina
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, I recycled most of my big piles of old magazines. Took up so much space. Easier just to look online for inspiration. Even if you did sell them, I doubt you would get much and mailing cost might be expensive (if not local).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I had at least 10 years of magazines. In this electronic age, nobody wants to spend the time and money buying paper magazines. I went through mine, pulled out the articles I wanted to keep, and recycled the rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2014, 04:48 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I know you are both right. I've gone through 1/2 of them so far. It's just tough knowing the $ value that's there. I just have to remind myself that I enjoyed them years ago, but not anymore. Not to mention the storage I will gain. I wish it wasn't so hard getting rid of them. Thanks for your input, that in itself will help me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ask your local library or even dr's offices etc before just recycling/throwing out.

You could try but I doubt there is any ongoing value there unless someone is looking for one they missed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Unless you can find someone (like doctor's offices, senior centers, etc.) that will take them for free, I'm guessing that recycling is about all you can do with them. I used to pull out the articles that I thought I would refer to and save them, but I found that I never, never, never went back to them. When we moved last month all of those articles went in the recycling bin. I find that between Pinterest, SCS, blogs and YouTube, there are plenty of sources for inspiration/information that don't take up ANY physical space in the craft room! Sometimes I'll clip out a picture of dp from a catalog that I really like to use as a jumping-off point to make my own or to use as inspiration for a card, but that's about it, now...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Unless you can find someone (like doctor's offices, senior centers, etc.) that will take them for free, I'm guessing that recycling is about all you can do with them. I used to pull out the articles that I thought I would refer to and save them, but I found that I never, never, never went back to them. When we moved last month all of those articles went in the recycling bin. I find that between Pinterest, SCS, blogs and YouTube, there are plenty of sources for inspiration/information that don't take up ANY physical space in the craft room! Sometimes I'll clip out a picture of dp from a catalog that I really like to use as a jumping-off point to make my own or to use as inspiration for a card, but that's about it, now...
This is so true! I did the same thing. After my last move I throw away all those magazine articles and ideas. Most of them were too old.

I always held on to my old magazines. But being in the Air Force and moving around many times, pretty much curbed my storing these old magazines. Due to weight or storage space.

I always thought I had to be "Prepared" for the day the internet went down.

Well, if that ever happens, we should be more worried about the Zombie's.

Now who will craft if we have to watch out for Zombie's-Just a thought;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes I can't even give mine away.
I had some nice ones that I decided really were not doing me any good sitting on my shelf taking up room and never being looked at again, and none of my stamping buddies really wanted them either.
Since this was a heavy-doctor-appointment time for me, I took one or two with me each time and gave them one last look-through in the waiting room, then left them there with no regrets and no "oh man what if I missed something earth-shattering in there?" (I didn't.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
Sometimes I can't even give mine away.
I had some nice ones that I decided really were not doing me any good sitting on my shelf taking up room and never being looked at again, and none of my stamping buddies really wanted them either.
Since this was a heavy-doctor-appointment time for me, I took one or two with me each time and gave them one last look-through in the waiting room, then left them there with no regrets and no "oh man what if I missed something earth-shattering in there?" (I didn't.)
Hope you tore off (or blacked out) the label with your name and address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I do save some for collages and vision boards. I had yp this same painful experience when we moved this summer :(. If anyone has old RubberStampMadness magazines, I would buy the issues I don't yet own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2014, 02:42 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Thanks for the inspiration ladies! I have old magazines that I just can't bear to recycle. I think I am ready. I can sure use the space they are taking up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2014, 05:07 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One way to feel better about recycling them would be to do so thru a school or library, etc that raises $$$ by selling recycle the pound.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some stamping companies sell old issues for only a third off the cover price. I'm thinking back issues of Take Ten etc. I could never understand why they think someone would want to pay that much for something that is several years old. I suppose enough people buy them so they keep selling them.

I do like having something to browse without staring at a computer.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Or ... you can take crafting in a whole new direction with all those lovely colorful pages, lol!

beautiful paper beads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eORLHibD340

or
rolled paper tubes can be

amazing wall art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fD6PXl8Kk

or
storage boxes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PVUovTokbY

I've seen baskets and even purses and bags ...

papercrafting. who knew?

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 12-18-2014 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

For cardmaking & scrapbooking magazines that weren't very old, I donated alot to the waiting rooms at the hospital where my loved one was having treatment as I met a few ladies who were scrapbookers and there were only old Hollywood-style and car magazines. Our local library also has a magazine swap box where you can just drop off any magazines in a basket and people help themselves. Last January, I dropped off about 30 scrapbooking/cardmaking mags at the Library and then went into the library to borrow a book and when I came out there was a group of about 6 older ladies gleefully grabbing the magazines saying things like: "I can't believe someone doesn't want these?!" - and they each had a pile of magazines! It made me happy that the mags went to a good home

I have kept a few magazines but honestly, styles & products change - bit like fashion I suppose and they become "dated" - and I just don't look at them. My inspiration comes from online instead. I will be getting rid of a few more in the next week or so. If I haven't looked at them in the last year since I got rid of my last lot of magazines, I don't need them. I have seen them on EBay for a few$$ so they aren't worth selling when you add the cost of postage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I just cleared out my 2x shelves of scrap mags, after thinking about it for the last couple of years.
I took them to the monthly crop I go to, left them there for anyone to take what they wanted....and whatever is left over goes into the paper recycling.

I have kept my simple scrapbook mags though...not quite ready to let them go yet.
Reply With Quote Likes