Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dusty Ribbon?

Just curious - I see alot of pics of crafters who hang their ribbon where they can see it easily when crafting.

Doesn't the ribbon get dusty out in the open?

Also, I have learned the hard way how easily my CS fades, even though it was not in direct line with a window and the sun.

Won't your ribbon fade?

Thanks! I'm just trying to figure out a better storage system for my ribbon, which right now is stored in plastic photo boxes.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So far with the ribbon I have I'm using a small Sterlite box and an inexpensive photo storage box. Sure I have to rummage through them, get them down off the shelf, etc, but they are out of the dust and light. I have cardstock stored upright in SU paper storage holders on a shelf so any fading will be on the very edges. The room has a solar tube in the ceiling instead of windows and it can get amazingly bright when the sun is shining.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine in a piece of rain gutter. Thanks to the shelf immediately above the ribbon, I don't have a dust problem and it all gets shielded from the window just above the shelf. I guess you'd really have to consider location within your room as to whether or not you want your ribbon out in the open.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep my spools of ribbon in those clear plastic shoeboxes with lids. Currently my craft space is in my basement which is always musty and dusty, so this is a solution that works for me. Soon, however, we are finishing our basement which means lots of lovely cabinets and a much cleaner environment for me and my ribbons. :mrgreen:

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I have all my ribbon and anything that might fade in either plastic or in my file cabinet (CS). The ribbon is stored in snap together photo boxes.

My room has two windows, plus it's just a converted bedroom, and we're in the room alot because our computer is also in the same room. Plus, we have 3 cats that shed, so I was hoping for a better storage idea for my ribbon (I don't really like the way mine is stored), but for now, the ribbon stays under cover.

(Too bad I can't adopt non-shedding kitties since my dogs are non-shedding miniature schnauzers!)

My one kitty, 15 year-old dear Varmint, although she's only 5 pounds and very petite, she loves to position herself where she can watch me work, usually on top of the file cabinet holding my cardstock. Of course, there is a pillow for her, since she's old and precious to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

I have my ribbon hanging on the ribbon rings, and so far have not noticed a problem with them collecting dust or fading and they have been hanging there for almost 2 years now - you can just give them a little shake and that will get rid of any dust, and they are not in direct sunlight - also stops them getting really creased which I found was a problem when they were stored in bags by colours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Isn't that an Oxymoron? lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

I keep all my ribbon on spools that have the same diameter for the cardboard. This took some rewinding and cutting down or remaking of spools, but now they all fit in the same sized drawers and are sorted first by type--grosgrain, organdy, satin, etc.-- each sort in it's own drawer, and then each drawer is organized by color. The drawers are in a closet and are not transparent, so keep out the sunlight. All I have to do is pull out the desired drawer and find the color I need. My card stock is also sorted by color family, placed in expanding file folders--one for each family--and then in drawers. I live rurally where there is lots of dust, and in Eastern Oregon (the sunny portion of the state!) with a nice big window to let in lots of natural light. Therefore, keeping everything enclosed is the only way to protect everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my hanging ribbons! No problems with dust or fading, though they are not in direct light...and they have such a tiny top surface that they can't catch much dust. I use an Ikea Curtain Wire with clips...each clip holds 2-4 similar ribbons, about a yard each or so, and any remainder on spools go in a bin.

I love that I can lay a piece of ribbon over my project to decide if I want it, with no rewinding and putting away if I decide on something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default dust cover

I use the ribbon rings, too, and haven't had any problems with dust or fading. I did have some trouble with my CS fading. I really like having it in paper racks so I can enjoy all the colors when I'm working in my stamp room/farm office, so now I just keep a fitted sheet over the rack when I'm not crafting. It keeps it out of the light and dust and is easy to take down when I want to stamp -- just a couple of clothes pins to remove. It also helps to keep the blind down on the picture window when we are not using the room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

My ribbon is in direct sunlight. You shouldn't have to worry much about poly or nylon ribbon. Cotton and silk are dyed differently and may fade, badly. Silk and cotton dyes are applied to the fibres, most poly dyes are part of the fibre. If not, they are a paint applied on top of the ribbon, not the same as a dye. Ever notice your cotton t-shirt fades while your poly blouse or yoga pants will pill or go out of style before the colour changes? To tell the difference, hit the end of a test scrap with your heat gun. Poly/nylon/acrylic melts, cotton and silk won't! My ribbon is in jars so no dust!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my hanging ribbon and I have had no trouble with dust. Heck it gets fondled so often there is no chance for the dust to settle.

Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them. But sometimes, it's enough to know they're just standing by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I keep lots of ribbon in recycled baby wipe containers with the ends hanging out of the hole. Have a ribbon iron nearby but seldom need it. Containers are then stashed in file cabinets. Hope this helps. Recycle Reuse
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

my ribbon does get dusty stored in a "gutter shaped" plastic mountable shelf I purchased a few years ago. While I like being able to see it all; lately I've noticed the dust building up and have been wondering if I should change how I store my ribbon.

The dust shakes right off, I haven't noticed any fading but that is because it's off to the side of the windows and doesn't get any light on it at any time of day.

I've been considering the Martha Stewart ribbon boxes I see at Michael's. They've been on sale recently. Ours carries them in brown, black and a pale aqua color. They seem very sturdy and would serve to keep the dust off while allowing the ends to hang out just a bit through the slit in the side.

I considered some old shoe boxes but most of what I have aren't deep enough to allow the cardboard roll of ribbon to stand upright so I could easily pull on the "tail" and unwind the ribbon I need.

For now, I'm spending my limited crafting money on a new paper cutter and of course new stamps! Eventually I'll get around to changing my ribbon storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

I store my ribbon in this shelf that DH built:

Dusty Ribbon?-storage7.jpg

I've found that the ribbon I don't use often gathers some dust, but some of them have the plastic wrap around it still. If it doesn't have the plastic on it and it's been a while, I can usually wipe it off without any problem or sometimes, I just cut it off....it's usually a short length. As far as fading, I've never noticed a problem. It's never been in direct sunlight and in both rooms (I've just moved, so it has a new room) it's on the wall opposite the window. I'd prefer it to be a little dusty at times than have to dig through a bin. I use ribbon quite frequently and it'd be a hassle for me. It used to be in a bin and it would get tangled and there was just so much it was a mess. I also prefer this method so I don't have to iron it out. If I buy ribbon on a card, I iron it out and put it on one of the clippies that hangs off the bottom. I HTH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been hanging my ribbon for a while now no dust prob here I think I use it to fasr for that to happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my ribbon hanging up using the ribbon ring system for about 6 months now. No fading, no dust. But I use it almost daily so it gets shuffled/moved around quite a bit which helps with it not gathering any dust. I haven't noticed any fading issues with my ribbon. I also store my CS and some other supplies in the open and have never had issues with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I used on have ribbon on spools and hated it because they were always rolling all over the place, tried wrapping them around cards and filing them in a box, hated wrapping and unrapping every time I needed ribbon, also hated getting out a heavy box all the time.

I've been using the ribbon ring system for 2 years now, haven't noticed dust or fading, but I only have a small basement window with no direct sunlight. The best thing about it is no creases in my ribbon, and I don't have to unroll and re-roll spools when I can't decide what to use. I made my own ribbon tags out of chipboard with my cricut, and hand cut slits into them with a craft knife. I like these better because the slots are tighter and the ribbon doesn't slide out quite as easily. I thought it would us up alot of space, but it really doesn't. I have 4 hooks about 3 inches apart on the small space of wall between some shelves and a closet door, and my ribbon rings hang there, right above my work table where I can easily reach up and grab one and cut off as much as I need.
My gallery ~ My Blog ~ My website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

I am sure it depends on where you live. Here in TX, if I had my ribbon out, it would be dusty by the end of the day! :confused: I keep mine in the Cropper Hopper embellishment boxes. I have had it this way for years, and I LOVE it! No wrinkles, no dust, saves space, easy to find what I want, etc. Here is pic, and you can see more details here.

Dusty Ribbon?-four-drawersa.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I absolutely LOVE your Cropper Hopper ribbon storage. Mine looks similar only I have mine all on spools of the same size (in diameter, not width), so my drawer looks like a rainbow, too. However having them in boxes would make the rows easier to stack in the drawer. Where do you get Cropper Hopper boxes? TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry, after looking further, I found out how to find the Cropper Hopper boxes. I'm so excited! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I live in Texas too and the dust in my house drives me nuts, but for some reason, my scraproom is spared most of that dust. It's at the end of the hall on the second floor. I have not noticed any dust on my ribbons, but I do keep them on a shelf at my head height so maybe less of the dust gets kicked up that high. I usually keep the shutters on the windows closed so I dont worry about fading. They are only opened when I'm working in the room and want some more light, but none of the ribbon or paper is in direct sunlight anyways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I love seeing my ribbons hanging, all the pretty colors, textures,and designs. After reading this thread I ordered some of the ribbon rings. I've never had a problem with dust or fading. Thanks for the info on the ribbon rings
Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Sorry, after looking further, I found out how to find the Cropper Hopper boxes. I'm so excited! Thanks again.
Glad you found them. Enjoy! It really is a spectacular way to store ribbon! The small pieces fit back in nicely too. Sometimes I might cut 2-3 inches too much or something but I certainly don't want to throw that piece away. I just put it back in the box. With the ribbon ring and other hanging methods, I wouldn't be able to do that. Love my boxes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I store my ribbon in a sterilite box inside my armoire, no fading. The ribbon I have on spools are in a box with a lid, that came with store bought cards I received a few years ago as a gift. I use my flat iron on low to iron my ribbons, if I need to. They are are most rubber banded together and it easy to go through.
Reply With Quote Likes