Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you store a mixture of asst clear stamp sets?

I have tons of random stamp sets that I've accumulated over the years.

I don't want to put them in cd cases, one because I don't want to spend any more money on them (I barely use them) and also those cases take up room as well. Most of the sets are the brands that are at joanns and michaels, most were on clearance when I bought them.

I have them in 2 file type drawers but because they are all different brands the size of the packaging doesn't allow them to line up nicely, even though I have them separated by categories with file folders in between.

There must be another way that takes less space and is neater.

Any ideas or advice would be of great help.

Thanks, Dina
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Since you barely use the stamps, why not get rid of the ones you don't use? Then you don't have to worry about how to store them.

I've been doing a major purge: stamps, paper, embellishments. I set up a table in my office at work, and have sold over $400 worth in the last 2 weeks. And no, I'm not using the money to buy more stuff.

It feels great to be unburdened with "stuff" that I felt I had to use, and now I get to use only what I love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

As for storing them, from expierence and from other posts, the first thing to do is get rid of the packaging and get a uniform system. If they are clear sets or rubber only, I have read that quite a few people store them in paper envelopes on laminated chipboard.

Try searching "storing stamp sets" I am sure there are many older posts regarding this same topic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree- I wouldn't save stamps that you don't use. Just think of the money you will earn if you sell them on the Buy/sell forum here or on Craigslist. Or you can donate to a school or local organization who would love to have them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Don't store clear stamps you don't use. Quite frankly, they will not last. The material is a UV reactive polymer, so light and solvent cleaners eventually make them degrade, become sticky and fall apart. And that is the GOOD ones. Silicone ones break down quicker and also don't stick to the clear mounts as well.

The cheapest way to store them is to use overhead transparency sheets and toss in a drawer that can be kept away from direct sunlight. I have two 6-drawer Iris carts that sit in a closet. Each drawer is a general subject matter: Backgrounds, Alphabets & Sentiments, Florals, Objects, Travel, "altered art", and Holidays.

The small "$1" sets are small enough, I tuck them into the pockets of baseball card sleeve pages. The larger ones are stacked. CTMH created their own storage system, but some companies have larger sets (like the Basic Grey mega sets, Fancy Pants). I only have 3 12x12 sets that don't fit in the drawers.

Purge sets when they wear out, or when you haven't used it in 10-12 months. And admit to yourself, if you use Stazon or similar solvent based inks, they will degrade faster. Ranger makes a nice cleaner just for clear or polymer based stamps. Cleaning them and storing away from light or extreme heat will help them last longer.

Besides, truth of the matter is, the more you have, the less you will use it. You will end up using the same few sets over and over until you tire of the image or your recipients do. If they are still in good condition, share them, via trade, sell or barter, or donation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I use clear cd wallets to store all my unmounted stamps, of which I have 1000,s:oops:

and then I store them all in a Really useful box like the one below.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have a uniform way to store my different types of stamps, and it's driving me crazy! My CTMH stamps stay in their original envelope. The ones that fit in a CTMH box are in there. I was storing my other clear stamps in CD cases, which I put into a Really Useful box, similar to the one above. It seemed nice, until I realized my stamps were sticking. Not long ago, I bought a case and some inserts from Sunday International. I moved my non CTMH clear stamps into it, along with my unmounted rubber. Not sure I like it, but it's the best I can do with the money and space that I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I keep sets in notebooks with clear sleeves. Each sleeve is number coded, contains only one manufacturer, and the images are stamped with code location in a catalog arranged by theme. Most are adhered to cardstock or clear transparencies so that I can pull the sets out easily from the sleeve. Since most sets are of the size where two fit in one sleeve, a notebook holds about 28 sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

I did a video about a year ago showing how I organize my clear stamp collection. I still love this method, and I continue to use it to this day. I hope you find it helpful. Good luck!

Click here to watch my video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 04:02 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do prefer the CD, SU or longer storage containers. they are thin, and I stack mine in upright pretty oblong baskets. I do put away seasonal, fall, winter, easter and flowers into a closet to have less clutter. A winter project is indexing, with a system I saw on here for an 8 x 8 binder.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Ive been purging my smaller clear stamps. The ones I am keeping, I have them in the baseball card sleeves in a binder. Nice and tidy.
Reply With Quote Likes