Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a scrapping desk

or organization system.

I saw this one but the price is a little steep!

http://www.scrapncube.com/.docs/reco...10112/pg/10031

I have a scrapping room, but it is about to be cut in half. (We are finishing our basement and I am being booted to a smaller room!) Right now I have a million different type of organization (rolling carts, drawers, containers), but I would really love to combine it all into something more organized and compact.

Ideas please!?!?!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

How much do you want to spend? They list some more options on the bottom of the page you linked to. The table comes in three sizes 36, 48 and 60". They look like they should be tall enough to put your carts under them.
While the counter top organizations is really cool, it is $$$$$. Maybe just shelves above the desk? Sturdy, nice ones of course ;)

We put in a counter and kitchen cabinets (just 2-one for each end), but I stand while I scrap at home. I also lucked out and got a piece of slat wall at a good price.

Good luck deciding, the options are endless!

Alright! Who took my coffee cup??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2007, 05:46 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

That work station is gorgeous but the price is a bit steep...

I won't have a nice scrapbooing studio for a while... but I like being prepared at all times so I like looking around and I have to say that IKEA is the place that I have seen the most bang for my buck so to speak...

You may want to check them out....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Susan has the ultimate question - how much do you want to spend? There are so many choices, but a few key considerations. (1) How much work area do you need? If you're mostly making cards, a depth of 16 inches might be enough. However, if you're making large scrapbook pages you want at least 2 feet! (2) Lighting! I have a clamp-on that puts light directly over my hands - and that's still not enough sometimes! (3) Access to tools & supplies. I have a bookcase beside my desk, and most items are stored in labeled photo boxes. I can grab a box of pens or adhesives without getting up.

By the way, the only furniture I purchased for my craft room was the bookcase - I re-purposed things from all over the house when I decided to claim one of the bedrooms. You can see photos in my gallery if you're interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Do you know any carpenters? My father is one and I decided that since I couldn't find one that fit all of my needs that was affordable, I'd design what I wanted and have my father build it. The desk work surface is 7' x 3'. I have two drawers that hold 12x12 paper and are almost 36" deep. There are also 5 other drawers that hold tons and tons of supplies. The hutch has cubby holes and shelves and in the center, there is a pegboard. I managed to get it done for less than $250. Great price and exactly what I needed for my space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I wish I knew a carpenter! Congrats on getting such a cool set up!!

Alright! Who took my coffee cup??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #7  
CraZy Cat Lady
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by CroppinJenView Post
Do you know any carpenters? My father is one and I decided that since I couldn't find one that fit all of my needs that was affordable, I'd design what I wanted and have my father build it. The desk work surface is 7' x 3'. I have two drawers that hold 12x12 paper and are almost 36" deep. There are also 5 other drawers that hold tons and tons of supplies. The hutch has cubby holes and shelves and in the center, there is a pegboard. I managed to get it done for less than $250. Great price and exactly what I needed for my space.
Girlfriend!!! You NEED to post pics to your gallery! I would LOVE to see your set up!!! :mrgreen:
Mine is the beginnings of a room makeover. We bought cabinets from Ikea, but I still need my counter top...making do as is for now, but DH's Christmas bonus is just around the corner! YAY!!!
Attached Thumbnails
I need a scrapping desk-salsters-scrapstation.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Default me too!

I don't want to steal this post, but I feel the same way...
I use an old "teacher's desk" that my husband found at a sale somewhere. It's along the wall of "my room" as my husband calls it... that would be the laundry/furnace room.
The desk is right against the wall, with pegboard on the wall. I have some built in shelves (small) that my dh put up for me, and an old piece of a kitchen cupboard that dh found for me.
It seems nice enough for a very casual stamper/scrapper... but it doesn't do anything for me.

I don't feel creative there, almost feel like I'm being punished (in the corner). If I want to craft, I first have to spend a bunch of time cleaning off my desk because it's in the laundry/furnace/storage room & people are always putting stuff on the desktop if it's clear.

I can't think of/find any other areas in my home that I could use, but I really would love something nicer -- and out of the laundry room!

PS... I love looking at all your cool work areas, even if it makes me jealous... it helps me dream too.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 06:22 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE my table. It is this one from Ikea. The shelf underneath is great if you quickly need to cleanup without ruining a partially completed layout. I store my cutter, Perfect Layers, Powder Pals and heat gun on it and still have room. It is a little lower but it rocks. Also having the glass top I don't worry about scratch paper as often (just wipe ink/glue off).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

If you are on a budget, try a used furniture store.
I got three 2x5 feet formica topped tables for $10 each. The top is very solid for stamping. They are white with chrome legs.
For other storage I use the plastic 6 drawer towers you can buy at any discount store. I particularly like the two 12x12 3-drawer cases I have for my 12x12 paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently overhauled my scrap room and ended up splurging on Bedford furniture from Pottery Barn. I got the corner desk set and the rectangular desk (making an "L"). It was pricey, but I'm so HAPPY in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I just saw this today - from Oriental Trading and the organization unit and the desk together are much cheaper than the one you were looking at

http://www.orientaltrading.com/appli...+Storage+Cubes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MhewettView Post
I recently overhauled my scrap room and ended up splurging on Bedford furniture from Pottery Barn. I got the corner desk set and the rectangular desk (making an "L"). It was pricey, but I'm so HAPPY in there.
Could you take a pic of your set-up? I have just been looking at these...thought I would get cabinets and a countertop but they quoted close to $6,000 with installation and everything...NOPE! So now I am looking for alternatives...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I have pictures that I would be happy to share....but I don't know how. It's embarrassing to be so clueless on the computer! Maybe I can figure it out. I'm sure there are directions somewhere on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

hehe...I know there are directions somewhere...but honestly, I don't know how to either...I was just looking and was thinking a corner desk set and a rectangular desk set...I would LOVE to have the project table too...but altogether that would be about $2500....still MUCH less than the $6000 for the cabinets I was quoted on before!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Here are directions!

When you are in the reply to thread window, there is a little paperclip (for attach/insert) above where you type your message, and a "manage attachments" button down below. Either one will bring up another window where you can upload your image. Just click on browse, find your picture, document, or whatever, and then click open. Then click upload and wait. When it's all done, it will show as a thumbnail in your message (just click "Preview Post" to see it.)
On my preview, I see someone has already answered! HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Thank you for the directions! It was all going smoothly until it told me the dimensions were too big (file size or something) and it couldn't resize the picture so I would need to do it manually and then try again. Of course, I couldn't figure out how to do that. Sigh. I DO know how to send someone pics through regular email, so if you want to PM me with your email address, I would be happy to send them to you that way.
Reply With Quote Likes